CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I want the Rail and GL to get nerfed with less ammo and bullet mag. 

Less ammo on the rail? Doesn't it only have like 5 shots or so? Generally speaking, I never see rail last until the next rail on fathom where its used primarily. 

Less ammo on the rail? Doesn't it only have like 5 shots or so? Generally speaking, I never see rail last until the next rail on fathom where its used primarily. 

That happens all the time when I play it seems.

Every power weapon in this game is a joke, and lowering ammo isn't a real nerf. It's a band aid.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Every power weapon in this game isn't​ a joke, and lowering ammo isn't a real nerf. It's a band aid.

They could literally just reduce aim assist and or bullet magnetism for every gun in the game,except the pistol,that's how bad it is in halo 5.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Happens sometimes but like 1-2 leftover max i feel 

Bump, considering there are new things to talk about. 

I'm writing up a big post coming tomorrow or this weekend about Arena, sandbox, maps, matchmaking, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Going to be a doing a bit more testing of the updated weapons tonight. I'll post anything that seems especially noteworthy.

Updates (not too much hard science; 343 seems to have done a lot of that for us for once):

AR: 2 headshots to kill after shields are broken. Alternatively 2 bodyshots and 1 headshot. The new accuracy and damage modifiers feel great to me and the weapon feels like it offers a lot more counterplay for both the user and the target now. The range drop off is fairly short and it doesn't take much to know when you're pretty firmly in Magnum territory.

Carbine: Spread is enough to vary anywhere from a Perfect to almost a full clip to kill someone at the farthest edge of its (slightly reduced) RRR. Feels a bit less reliable.

BR: Spread doesn't seem to have any significant effect in RRR. Just do the usual BR thing of aiming at the neck area. The spacing of the burst and reduced aim assist definitely make it feel less friendly at close and long range; it's not actually terrible in BTB anymore based on the couple of games I played where I couldn't just deathstar people across the map. Warthog gunners might not be cannon fodder anymore.

DMR: I tried jumping out and challenging fights at mid-close range a few times and it didn't hold up anywhere near as much as it did pre-patch. Definitely felt the reduced RoF at long range too when challenging snipers in BTB - I could frequently back them down but felt just a hair too slow to get the kill.
Headseeking rounds now seem to kick in around the upper chest area rather than anywhere above the legs which is nice.

Railgun: Feels pretty good. The new timing takes a bit of adjusting to and you're definitely more vulnerable using it in close quarters.

Camo: It's great now! 'nuff said.

I haven't had a chance to play with many of the other tweaked items yet so that's all I've got for now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

only thing I still can't see the merit in is that Halo needs to settle on a universal ruleset

For the most part, halo 5 literally offered consistent gameplay experiences in that your respawn timer, innate abilities, and weapon loadouts stayed the same across basically the whole suite of modes. Warzone is its own thing of course, yet the weapons, shields, respawn, motion tracker, all kept together in unison across the board. And from the beginning it lead to a stream of complaints that its "not enough of x" or "they keep catering to z"

with the current climate of the community turned on each other and blaming this sub group or that one for getting rid of xyz or ruining the game for abc community, not offering a variety of experiences in the future would basically be a

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u1.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think ultimately people are using different definitions whenever "universal settings" comes up.

I think Clap made the Basketball analogy. NBA is your official rulesset. But people who love basketball also like to play half court, 2 on 2, horse and around the world.

Halo needs to reinforce an official rulesset. Those are your Universal Settings. It should be obvious that this is THE way to play. But that doesn't mean the game shouldn't also adequately support those who want to enjoy a different style of gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think ultimately people are using different definitions whenever "universal settings" comes up.

I think Clap made the Basketball analogy. NBA is your official rulesset. But people who love basketball also like to play half court, 2 on 2, horse and around the world.

Halo needs to reinforce an official rulesset. Those are your Universal Settings. It should be obvious that this is THE way to play. But that doesn't mean the game shouldn't also adequately support those who want to enjoy a different style of gameplay.

Is it wrong to think that the way to play could be optimized to be our competitive ruleset?

I don't think we're that far off :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it wrong to think that the way to play could be optimized to be our competitive ruleset?

I don't think we're that far off :(

I think we are on the same page. For Halo, HCS:NBA.

I think where we differ is on playlist rankings for non official rule sets.

Rig Oddball

Empire Oddball

Mercy Slayer with a non-jebroni map layout (Playlist version is a good start!)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rig Oddball

Empire Oddball

Mercy Slayer with a non-jebroni map layout

I found Empire Oddball pretty difficult to break but it could just be shitty teammates. But that middle tower has corners galore.

I found Empire Oddball pretty difficult to break but it could just be shitty teammates. But that middle tower has corners galore.

Empire has always been pretty volatile when it comes to the different levels of play (high level Empire obviously being nuts).

I thought the Camo-GL was nice, there's equal opportunity to play the ball, and a decent amount of entrances to break base setups. In my experience, trying to hold Tower was pointless, which is cool since Camo is there. I saw a decent amount of ball movement.

Definitely would love to hear more thoughts though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Overgrowth Oddball hurts my soul.

Instant-kill ball melee w/ Halo 5 lunge range is terrible.

Instant-kill ball melee w/ no lunge or aim assist would be sick.

Rig Oddball is fire.

Would like to see high level Mercy Slayer and Oddball with its current layout in the test playlist. Move the SMG to Mohawk since Closed Ramp is a little bit free off spawn.

They need to stop trying to use Overgrowth.  Somebody at 343 loves their creation, i get that, but there comes a time to face the news and understand that its just not a good map period.  

-Empire Oddball can be good.

- Eden is too big.  similar issue as mercy but to a lesser degree. BMS nerf for ball carrier might help?  

-Mercy is just not good for oddball imo.  It seems like the spawns on that map leapfrog people around the map so you are always having people come up behind you/are spawning behind people.  Part of the problem might be that there are a ton of ways to climb up/drop down and man cannon around that map.  With the ball carrier not having any speed nerf, it makes for a lot of "Chases".

General Gametype Observations:

-Ball Carrier needs a base movement speed nerf. 15-20%.  You can already toss the ball, thrust, then immediately pick the ball up. That's enough.

Weapon observations:

- GF Mag is a good cleanup weapon.  I think people don't like it because it is more like a "true sidearm" and people are looking for more raw killing power.  If the BR killed faster, the GF would fit its role better.

- BR needs to tighten the burst cadence to shorten the kill time.  It takes... so... long.. to kill in a game with more evasive maneuvers than ever before.  Its so exhausting that it feels like there is a delay between when i pull the trigger and when the first bullet comes out.  The aiming difficulty seems about right so the RRR and AA changes did their job, but they have to roll the cadence back a bit.  I haven't noticed the spread make a difference.  I conceptually hate the idea of random spread, but at this point im treating it as a non-issue.

- Magnum is still the better starting weapon period. #TeamMagnum

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like every oddball map so far except overgrowth. The utter lack of sightlines is infuriating.

They should nerf bms of the ball carrier and reduce lunge distance.

Mercy plays much better with ability tracker instead of motion tracker. I just wish the hallways didn't provide so much cover from the center of the map.

It just doesn't feel the same in this game. Magnum starts we're fine the way they were. What we had last season was the best possible recipe you guys could've cooked up. BR feels clunky, Gun Fighter Magnum has no place in competitive at all, along with grenade launcher. Oddball itself is fun, but there are many things to tweak about it, like the ball respawn times, the power weapons and power UPS on the map, and ball spawn locations. Some maps just aren't for oddball. World's I coming up, and I don't think anyone, especially pros and competing amateurs, would want to have to learn how to play with a new unnecessary meta. If anyone from 343 is reading, please listen to the pros and community on this one, we want what's for the best for this game, please don't turn away the people who have grown to love this game the way it worked

I like every oddball map so far except overgrowth. The utter lack of sightlines is infuriating.

They should nerf bms of the ball carrier and reduce lunge distance.

Mercy plays much better with ability tracker instead of motion tracker. I just wish the hallways didn't provide so much cover from the center of the map.

All the engagements on Overgrowth feel like Braveheart battles circa 2550.  its just guys bee-lining at  you straight down a hallway.  Maybe 1 guy goes through the middle lane and tries to attack from the side, velociraptor-style.  There is no good place to hold on that map and trying to rotate is more like a death march. Split spawns galore.  That map is a mess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overgrowth? More like Tard-Charge-and-nAIDS-Spam-Growth.

:wutface:

haha the analogy is a little contrived but... 100% accurate. There is no saving that map

Obviously there's no saving overgrowth, but why did they segment the central hallways from the rest of the map?... leaving just tiny windows with knee high lips that make out difficult to jump out of.

Making them catwalks with limited cover instead of hallways would make the map 10 times better.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall during the meeting when they settled on making the map 90% hallway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Obviously there's no saving overgrowth, but why did they segment the central hallways from the rest of the map?... leaving just tiny windows with knee high lips that make out difficult to jump out of.

Making them catwalks with limited cover instead of hallways would make the map 10 times better.

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall during the meeting when they settled on making the map 90% hallway.

"Hey, have you seen the latest Call of Duty?"

​"Yeah, dude. CoD maps are SICK."

"Agreed."