CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Im making an HCS doubles gametype.. should I do 5 second or 8 second respawn? team doubles playlist has it at 5 now so idk.. i liked 8 but thats me

Im making an HCS doubles gametype.. should I do 5 second or 8 second respawn? team doubles playlist has it at 5 now so idk.. i liked 8 but thats me

8. 5 is a shit show.

8. 5 is a shit show.

yo.. i was stuck on your math problem for like 10 minutes.. thought it said 8.5   im like who tf is talking about 8.5 lmao

but yeah.. thats what I thought.. also, I played a couple games and found myself outa ammo too much.. at one point in truth I was stuck with no ammo for literally like 2 minutes.

Well, not going to lie I'm pretty livid that they are no longer approaching settings as a universal trait. By isolating competitive play, they have inadvertently stated that their Arena gameplay is not as fair and balanced as it could be, which is backwards logic considering that they market Arena as "skill-based competitive multiplayer." I think 343 are making really cowardly decisions and I'm pretty tired of it.

We're about to be faced with huge population fragmentation, greater stigmatization of competitive play/HCS, and loads more.

Buuuuuuut I'm a sucker and will give my feedback anyway.

Rig

• Place Gunfighter Magnum Bottom Nest
  • Replace BR w/ DMR or Carbine
  • Reduce Ammo in Scattershot: 10 -> 5
  • Tactical Magnum in Trench (for that Camo lore)

Regret

• Place Gunfighter Bottom Nest
  • Place Tactical Magnum Car 2
  • Move Plasma Pistol to Tunnel

Eden

• Place Tactical Magnum Red Nest
  • Place Gunfighter Magnums in Red Basement and below Blue Bend/Sneaky
  • Reduce Hydra Ammo 12 -> 6

Fathom

• Place Gunfighter Magnum or Tactical Magnum in Red/Blue Treehouse (Gunfighter for CQC in Towers, Tactical for breaking Top Mid. Both are applicable and could be an interesting debate)
  • Refer back to my previous post for random thoughts on Light Rifle/Battle Rifle as well as Power Items

Truth

• Same feedback as prior post:
  • Carbine has too much ammo
  • BRs in Bases
  • Tac/Gunfighters in Towers
  • Move Plasma Pistol from Top Mid to Bottom Mid?

Empire

• Place Gunfighter Tower 1
  • Replace DMRs with Tactical Magnums
  • Replace Battle Rifle with DMR

Coliseum

• Replace Carbine with DMR
  • Place Gunfighters in Red/Blue Basement
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Well, not going to lie I'm pretty livid that they are no longer approaching settings as a universal trait. By isolating competitive play, they have inadvertently stated that their Arena gameplay is not as fair and balanced as it could be, which is backwards logic considering that they market Arena as "skill-based competitive multiplayer." I think 343 are making really cowardly decisions and I'm pretty tired of it.

We're about to be faced with huge population fragmentation, greater stigmatization of competitive play/HCS, and loads more.

Buuuuuuut I'm a sucker and will give my feedback anyway.

Rig

• Place Gunfighter Magnum Bottom Nest
  • Replace BR w/ DMR or Carbine
  • Reduce Ammo in Scattershot: 10 -> 5
  • Tactical Magnum in Trench (for that Camo lore)

Regret

• Place Gunfighter Bottom Nest
  • Place Tactical Magnum Car 2
  • Move Plasma Pistol to Tunnel

Eden

• Place Tactical Magnum Red Nest
  • Place Gunfighter Magnums in Red Basement and below Blue Bend/Sneaky

Fathom

• Place Gunfighter Magnum or Tactical Magnum in Red/Blue Treehouse (Gunfighter for CQC in Towers, Tactical for breaking Top Mid. Both are applicable and could be an interesting debate)
  • Refer back to my previous post for random thoughts on Light Rifle/Battle Rifle as well as Power Items

Truth

• Same feedback as prior post:
  • Carbine has too much ammo
  • BRs in Bases
  • Tac/Gunfighters in Towers
  • Move Plasma Pistol from Top Mid to Bottom Mid?

Empire

• Place Gunfighter Tower 1
  • Replace Battle Rifle with DMR

Coliseum

• Replace Carbine with DMR
  • Place Gunfighters in Red/Blue Basement

boy you love that gunfighter magnum.. personally, I dislike there being 3 different magnums.. Id rather have regular magnums around the map or increase mag size because ive been running out too much.

boy you love that gunfighter magnum.. personally, I dislike there being 3 different magnums.. Id rather have regular magnums around the map or increase mag size because ive been running out too much.

The Gunfighter might as well be treated as a mini-Carbine rather than another Magnum.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You'd think they would have put weapon variants in a class under a parent weapon so that they could all use the same ammo. Not very immersive if they can't.

Probably wouldn't work well with Warzone, though, which takes priority over Arena for gameplay decisions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Gunfighter is a cool weapon, because as Sitri said, its essentially the design premise of the Carbine but with much less auto aim and less range, but with a faster kill time. It's really strong close-mid range, but takes a ton of skill and has a decent reward. It's a great example of a weapon that can be an "upgrade" but still retain a niche role.

The Tactical Magnum is a little bit more linear of an upgrade, but offers more stealth capabilities with the new Radar, so placing it in certain locations can really change certain parts of maps.

As for the ammo problem that people are addressing, my proposal is to give the Magnum a ton of reserve ammo off spawn. I don't see why you should ever be punished for using your utility weapon to its highest potential.

<p>

Well it seems that they are still interested in universal traits IF they can come up with weapons tunings that all segments of the community find enjoyable.

The fact of the matter is , despite how Arena was marketed, it is not currently as fair and balanced as it should be, and as such is not suitable for "skill-based competitive gameplay.

Their inadvertent admission of these truths is a step in the right direction, IMO.

If they can actually design automatics with a low skill floor yet large skill-gap, then the universal settings thing CAN actually work. But they were essentially forcing everyone in the community to play on settings they don't enjoy for the sake of bad Universal settings- that just makes people throughout the spectrum not want to play Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Meanwhile, in CE people use timers to tell them exactly when powerups and weapons are spawning. And in high level competitive halo outside of CE, coaches track weapon spawns and powerup spawns. The icon when a weapon is picked up is dumb, but I don't think the rest really makes much of a difference, except in low-level matchmaking. Is that what everyone is arguing about?

No, it isn't. Having a functioning clock ticking on the screen isn't the issue, the issue is the giant green marker that 343 slaps on your screen (and everyone else endorses) to hold your hand and tell you "Hey stupid, a power weapon will spawn right here in 30 seconds! Trivial bullshit like map awareness? Not in 343's Halo!"

Stop-Sign.gif

Winners don't quit that easily.

Which scenario requires more skill:

Team A knows when the weapon is spawning. Team B does not. Team A secures weapon uncontested.

Or

Team A and B both know the weapon is spawning. They fight each other for it- and the team with the best execution gets it.

The second scenario is PURELY about skill and execution.

at high levels of play, the second scenario is going to occur regardless of the announcement. At low levels of play, the lack of announcement would allow prior knowledge to trump skill, making contention over weapons less likely. This delays inexperience players from actually learning the skills and strats needed to secure a power weapon.

The idea that this issue is akin to H5s many issues that ACTUALLY reduce the skill gap is, frankly, idiotic. prior knowledge isn't a skill.

Maybe Team B should piss off and put a little effort into their experience.

Is a prior knowledge a skill? No, not really, although preparation is something to be commended. As I've said multiple times now, the skill comes from keeping focus in-game, and staying on task, to capitalize on that prior knowledge. I keep saying that and you people keep fucking ignoring it. Maybe I should put it in bright, bold, lime green text so it's in a format you enjoy.

By this logic, people who use timers of C.E. are not skilled. When, in fact, it is usually the exact opposite. The timer reminds them they need to start pushing a certain area of the map. Keeps players engaging and the gameplay from being campy or slow. 

edit: oops jaaaaas beat me to it. Sorry. 

Having a functioning clock ticking on the screen isn't the issue, the issue is the giant green marker 343 slaps on your screen (and everyone else endorses) to hold your hand and tell you "Hey stupid, a power weapon will spawn right here in 30 seconds! Trivial bullshit like map awareness? Not in 343's Halo!"

H1 NHE tells you exactly when shit spawns, and it creates tha best Halo experience available. Damnation would be gay as fuck if both teams didn't know when camo was spawning. The fight for camo is the most interesting part of the map.

WHEN shit spawns (and it just counts minutes, it doesn't call out specific items), not WHERE it spawns, or whether or not it's been picked up.

Knowing where things spawn is an issue for like your first two games on the map. It's such a tiny percentage of the time that it truly isn't worth getting mad about. And if you're playing someone so new to the game that he wouldn't know where things spawn without a nav on it, you don't get to blame the nav for losing to him. You have much bigger problems than the nav. And lastly, knowing where stuff spawns isn't some badass skill to be lauded over new players. Learning where stuff spawns is a tedious process that makes your first few games on a map a lesson of trial and error and not real games. Including a way to circumvent that period is a good thing.

Obviously everyone here agrees that players should not be notified when an item is picked up.

This sort of thing gets players into playing the REAL game (fighting for power items) faster, and skips the bullshit tedium of learning times and locations. Those aren't skills to be proud of. That's Halo homework. Comparing Halo homework to aiming sounds foolish.

And I'd hardly say the flagnum is held sacred. Lol. It's more like indifference. All we cared about in H4 was that you couldn't drop the flag. Now that you can, the ability to shoot a pistol while holding the flag is practically negligible. You're usually juggling the flag anyways, and when you do need to engage, you usually drop the flag anyways. It's barely even a factor, and I don't understand the post H4 hate for it when there are so many FAR bigger problems. I would prefer not to have it too, but it just doesn't matter that much.

So learning the game without being breastfed by the devs is bullshit tedium, and the flagnum is barely even a factor and wasn't at all a problem in Halo 4. Oh jesus...

RIP Halo. Go to sleep, they can't hurt you anymore.

• Downvote (-1) 9

WHEN shit spawns (and it just counts minutes, it doesn't call out specific items), not WHERE it spawns, or whether or not it's been picked up.

So learning the game without being breastfed by the devs is bullshit tedium, and the flagnum is barely even a factor and wasn't at all a problem in Halo 4. Oh jesus...

For Halo CE NHE, they have created a training mode that showcases the spawns, the random zones, the weapon pads etc. They want people to learn the new maps quicker than it took the community to learn the intricacies of the original maps. In fact most of the LAN community dislike the new maps because of the underdeveloped META and this is somewhat the answer to that.

If it helps new players improve and understand the importance of when and where to rotate to acquire weapons, that's not a bad thing. I will agree that the weapon pad giving away when someone picked up the item is too much. You can avoid that area too easily if you see that the rockets just vanished, where as for older Halos I enjoyed the constant battle for OS/Camo in Beaver/Battle Creek.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thought from an mm run I did with friends (opinions could probably change)

1) Pistol clip currently is small without an AR, I've been noticing a lot of 1v1s have players just reloading lol.

2) Rifle respawn time change isn't a good thing imo. I feel the 40s is going to make the game slower on some scale. Carbine on Truth was already really good, the 40s change I think is going to make it considerably stronger with the BR on p2 as well

3) Why is everyone obsessed with spnkr rockets now???

4) dmr got an indirect buff I think. 2 shot beatdown was already great but with no autos anymore it is so much better

5) put pistols on the map or something to fix the ammo issue maybe

overall I really like the changes

• Upvote (+1) 1

The skill, in-game, comes from being able to stay focused and execute on that knowledge without having your hand held.

You're being completely unreasonable because you're not willing to acknowledge the fact that static timers for power items don't require much mental skill to memorize and keep track of because they are consistent. If rockets are on a two minute static timer then that means that they are going to spawn every two minutes of the game regardless of player interaction with said rockets.

If static timers for power items don't require much mental skill to memorize and keep track of then that must mean that announcements and waypoints for power items that are on static timers doesn't hurt the skill ceiling it only lowers the skill floor(barrier of entry) which is a net positive IMO. Like I said before the only issue that I have with weapon pads in Halo 5 is that they give away information of when an item is picked up off of the weapon pad or nadded off of the weapon pad by plasma grenades. If 343 fixes that issue then I won't have any issues with weapon pads in Halo 5.

WHEN shit spawns (and it just counts minutes, it doesn't call out specific items)

In Halo 1 NHEv7 there is an option to turn on audio announcements for power-ups and rockets.

– Powerup announcements: Rockets, Camo, and Overshield will be announced by Cortana prior to their spawn

If you don't believe me then just watch some game play from a recent Halo 1 NHEv7 LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No, it isn't. Having a functioning clock ticking on the screen isn't the issue, the issue is the giant green marker that 343 slaps on your screen (and everyone else endorses) to hold your hand and tell you "Hey stupid, a power weapon will spawn right here in 30 seconds! Trivial bullshit like map awareness? Not in 343's Halo!"

Winners don't quit that easily.

Maybe Team B should piss off and put a little effort into their experience.

Is a prior knowledge a skill? No, not really, although preparation is something to be commended. As I've said multiple times now, the skill comes from keeping focus in-game, and staying on task, to capitalize on that prior knowledge. I keep saying that and you people keep fucking ignoring it. Maybe I should put it in bright, bold, lime green text so it's in a format you enjoy.

Having a functioning clock ticking on the screen isn't the issue, the issue is the giant green marker 343 slaps on your screen (and everyone else endorses) to hold your hand and tell you "Hey stupid, a power weapon will spawn right here in 30 seconds! Trivial bullshit like map awareness? Not in 343's Halo!"

You're willfully ignoring everyone's point.

By removing the requirement to learn TRIVIAL nuances about power weapon spawn timers, players of ALL skill levels can IMMEDIATELY practice on the skills and strats that OBJECTIVELY, equate to being a better performer.

are you really suggesting that it requires more skill to look at the clock every 2/3 minutes and hope your opponent "forgets", than it does to secure a weapon that EVERYONE is aware of? That makes no sense.

You aren't advocating for matches that skew toward the more skillful. You are advocating for matches hat skew towards who has gained more incite outside of the match. It's an idea that does NOTHING to change how high level games will play out, and it arbitrarily delays low level players exposure to actual skills.

PS:

The main issue with H4 flagnum was that the carrier was stuck carrying the flag until they scored or died- they couldn't juggle or pass.

That's no longer an issue so people aren't tripping out about it.

• Upvote (+1) 9

So.. so far the biggest issues are..

-some say 25m radar is too big.

-pistol ammo too low.

what else? can i add empire SH?

So am I off in saying that the strafe in this game feels really sluggish,and ineffective?

I agree with you, but I also have terrible internet right now so I'm not sure.

Other than that, I agree with everyone that seems to be saying that:

-pistol clip size needs to be increased

-pistol ammo increased

-base movement speed increase would be nice

and

-I feel like spartan charge is used way more now or I'm just dumb and havent gotten used to new radar

So am I off in saying that the strafe in this game feels really sluggish,and ineffective?

It is rather sluggish, but the main reason why it's so entirely ineffective once your thrust is gone, even in pistol v. pistol duels, is because the aim-assist and magnetism are so strong, which becomes even more apparent when you play classic settings without thrust even if you up the BMS and make the strafe as good as you possibly can. Increasing the responsiveness of strafing would definitely be welcome, but it still won't mean much unless they make the guns harder to use.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It is rather sluggish, but the main reason why it's so entirely ineffective once your thrust is gone, even in pistol v. pistol duels, is because the aim-assist and magnetism are so strong, which becomes even more apparent when you play classic settings without thrust even if you up the BMS and make the strafe as good as you possibly can. Increasing the responsiveness of strafing would definitely be welcome, but it still won't mean much unless they make the guns harder to use.

^this.

There is a sweet spot range for the magnum that you essentially lock on to players from and you don't even have to touch your right stick at all to land shots. If they don't have thrust it's a perfect every time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What kind of effectiveness are you expecting? Strafing is effective when people either don't expect it (they have the drop on you) or when you actually use positioning and cover to make people guess which direction you're going. In that case, the strafe is absolutely fine. You can peek shoot just fine, the crouch is really strong at it's intended ranges, and you can move a few times left or right before someone can 5 you (not even factoring in the stuff you can do with thrust). 

For example, Contra has one of the highest PK's/game out of all the pros. Want to know what he does? He knows that people will thrust when they get one shot so he just stops firing right after he lands the 4th shot and just waits till they thrust then finishes the kill. That way, he doesn't keep firing while trying to follow their thrust. He paces his shot and makes a read on what someone is going to do, and it pays off. 

It's not the strafes fault that people get 5'd. 

This doesn't apply to you specifically, but I swear, sometimes I'm led to believe that people do nothing but stand out in the open and strafe. expecting to win all these fights just because they wiggle their left stick back and forth. Last I checked, there are generally 6 other players on the map that are more than happy to interrupt that isolated 1v1 if they're playing right. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seems to have more to do with the pistols ease of use than the strafe itself imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The strafe would actually be OK if the game didn't aim for you. It's actually one of the snappier strafes in the series. It just doesn't seem that way when bullets curve from Columbia to hit you in the head. It's clearly balanced around thrust.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The strafe would actually be OK if the game didn't aim for you. It's actually one of the snappier strafes in the series. It just doesn't seem that way when bullets curve from Columbia to hit you in the head. It's clearly balanced around thrust.

They could have avoided this situation by compensating for thrust with a faster killing Magnum instead of more aim assist. But they chose to make the Magnum have more aim assist and a lower fire rate than in the beta, increasing the divide between base movement and thrust even further. I will never understand this decision, especially since they set the precedent for aim assist nerfs in Halo 4 with the DMR and automatics.

Instead of using difficulty as a balance for power, 343 uses ease of use as a balance for weakness. And they also make some things easier and more powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You're being completely unreasonable because you're not willing to acknowledge the fact that static timers for power items don't require much mental skill to memorize and keep track of because they are consistent. If rockets are on a two minute static timer then that means that they are going to spawn every two minutes of the game regardless of player interaction with said rockets.

If static timers for power items don't require much mental skill to memorize and keep track of then that must mean that announcements and waypoints for power items that are on static timers doesn't hurt the skill ceiling it only lowers the skill floor(barrier of entry) which is a net positive IMO. Like I said before the only issue that I have with weapon pads in Halo 5 is that they give away information of when an item is picked up off of the weapon pad or nadded off of the weapon pad by plasma grenades. If 343 fixes that issue then I won't have any issues with weapon pads in Halo 5.

In Halo 1 NHEv7 there is an option to turn on audio announcements for power-ups and rockets.

If you don't believe me then just watch some game play from a recent Halo 1 NHEv7 LAN.

That's pathetic and shame on whoever's responsible for putting that in.

You're willfully ignoring everyone's point.

By removing the requirement to learn TRIVIAL nuances about power weapon spawn timers, players of ALL skill levels can IMMEDIATELY practice on the skills and strats that OBJECTIVELY, equate to being a better performer.

are you really suggesting that it requires more skill to look at the clock every 2/3 minutes and hope your opponent "forgets", than it does to secure a weapon that EVERYONE is aware of? That makes no sense.

You aren't advocating for matches that skew toward the more skillful. You are advocating for matches hat skew towards who has gained more incite outside of the match. It's an idea that does NOTHING to change how high level games will play out, and it arbitrarily delays low level players exposure to actual skills.

PS:

The main issue with H4 flagnum was that the carrier was stuck carrying the flag until they scored or died- they couldn't juggle or pass.

That's no longer an issue so people aren't tripping out about it.

Unless you can stay focused in-game, you don't deserve the power weapon. You don't know that it's coming up, or you forgot or just got distracted? Tough shit. No shortcuts, kiddo. But according to you, holding everyone's hand is a lot more "skillful". Hilarious.

The flag runner in CTF shouldn't be able to have any offensive capability beyond a simple, normal-damage melee. The flagnum violates that. No one's tripping out about it now because they either forget what life was like before Kevin Franklin shat this stupid thing out of his ass, or they're just dumb.

The rest of this is just you repeating yourself for like the fourth time over.

You guys deserve the horseshit Halo games you're gonna keep getting from now until whenever you either quit or wake up.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 13