CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I think a good starting point to test out is if it disappeared like 10 seconds before spawning. That way it still helps give off the location but doesn't give away the information of when its picked up like it does currently.

I also think 343 using overview/detailed maps as loading screens would be pretty beneficial to newer players. Show like red/blue starting spawns, power up/power weapon locations and basic callouts if possible in a map overview for the map thats currently loading or whatever.

Why before spawning? That just seems so much less intuitive. Would make more sense if it was 10 seconds after spawning or after being picked up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It should start fading out slowly for 15s after the weapon spawns. And disappear immediately if a teammate or the player picks it up (but not if enemies pick it up).

• Upvote (+1) 1

In Gears you can hold down a button that shows inductors of where all the power weapons (spawn) but it doesn't show if they're there.

I feel like the least intrusive solution is after someone picks it up to just have like an outline or hologram of where the weapon sits. Ya? Ya?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like the least intrusive solution is after someone picks it up to just have like an outline or hologram of where the weapon sits. Ya? Ya?

they already have that for the weapon pads right? The spinning sniper hologram if the weapon is not there.

they already have that for the weapon pads right? The spinning sniper hologram if the weapon is not there.

For the 30 seconds before spawn yeah.

I say keep it simple. Indicator pops up on hud like it does now, but slowly fades away over a 10 second period regardless of if it gets picked up or not. Thats really the only change needed imo

So, basically, you think a trivial additional barrier to entry is inherently a good thing and encouraging players at low levels to consider elements of the game they wouldn't have otherwise (things experienced players, we have already established, are already aware of) "cheapens" the game? It is not hard to know where weapons spawn and keep track of timers in Halo. Your argument is basically "accessibility is bad. Noobs need to git gud." This isn't coddling people. It's a quality of life improvement. If anything, reducing the trivial shit new players have to "FUCKING FIGURE OUT" is going to HELP people stick with it. Being needlessly obtuse in order to meet some arbitrary "hardcore" quota will not.

So now having the locations of all power weapons and their respawn times committed to memory (and being able to stay focused on it in real time) is "trivial shit", and therefore it's perfectly fine to throw up a huge green waypoint to let all players know exactly where it is and when it's up. Unbelievable. You should apply to 343 and make this post your cover letter. They'll hire you on sight and probably splooge all over the paper.

Shooting's not that hard in Halo, so fuck it, give everyone aimbots. Missing shots is a barrier for new players trying out the game. Plus, hitting all your shots all the time just feels better! It's not coddling people, it's a quality of life improvement!

There are so many bigger problems with this game than this.

Like what, the flagnum? Oh shit I forgot, that's sacred now too.

• Downvote (-1) 9

So now having the locations of all power weapons and their respawn times committed to memory (and being able to stay focused on it in real time) is "trivial shit", and therefore it's perfectly fine to throw up a huge green waypoint to let all players know exactly where it is and when it's up. Unbelievable. You should apply to 343 and make this post your cover letter. They'll hire you on sight and probably splooge all over the paper.

Shooting's not that hard in Halo, so fuck it, give everyone aimbots. Missing shots is a barrier for new players trying out the game. Plus, hitting all your shots all the time just feels better! It's not coddling people, it's a quality of life improvement!

There's absolutely nothing skillful about knowing static weapon spawn times. You've either gone into a custom game and figured it out, were told, or you found out on some forum. Why not make the game more accessible and inform players in game. Skip the bullshit.

Unless you were planning to shit on noobs using an alt accounts, the announcements will have zero effect on how you or your opponents will approach power weapon spawns.

Its better to have a system based around actual in game performance rather than who knows details that are arbitrarily hidden from players.

The ONLY issue with the system is that it reveals when weapons are picked up. Everyone agrees on that.

Your shooting analogy makes no sense. Because accuracy is any actual skill. Having information about spawn times is not.

• Upvote (+1) 6

There's absolutely nothing skillful about knowing static weapon spawn times. You've either gone into a custom game and figured it out, were told, or you found out on some forum. Why not make the game more accessible and inform players in game. Skip the bullshit.

Unless you were planning to shit on noobs using an alt accounts, the announcements will have zero effect on how you or your opponents will approach power weapon spawns.

Its better to have a system based around actual in game performance rather than who knows details that are arbitrarily hidden from players.

The ONLY issue with the system is that it reveals when weapons are picked up. Everyone agrees on that.

Your shooting analogy makes no sense. Because accuracy is any actual skill. Having information about spawn times is not.

The skill, in-game, comes from being able to stay focused and execute on that knowledge without having your hand held.

I hope none of you ever try to mock Waypoint or r/halo again after this crap. Jesus christ. All that's missing from this discussion is Mendicantbearass himself.

• Downvote (-1) 9

The skill, in-game, comes from being able to stay focused and execute on that knowledge without having your hand held.

I hope none of you ever try to mock Waypoint or r/halo again after this crap. Jesus christ. All that's missing from this discussion is Mendicantbearass himself.

Meanwhile, in CE people use timers to tell them exactly when powerups and weapons are spawning. And in high level competitive halo outside of CE, coaches track weapon spawns and powerup spawns. The icon when a weapon is picked up is dumb, but I don't think the rest really makes much of a difference, except in low-level matchmaking. Is that what everyone is arguing about?

• Upvote (+1) 7

Meanwhile, in CE people use timers to tell them exactly when powerups and weapons are spawning. And in high level competitive halo outside of CE, coaches track weapon spawns and powerup spawns. The icon when a weapon is picked up is dumb, but I don't think the rest really makes much of a difference, except in low-level matchmaking. Is that what everyone is arguing about?

Pretty much, yeah.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stop-Sign.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

So one of the issues with halo right now is that the skill floor is too high now and skill ceiling too low.

Now someone is complaining about a mechanic that addresses one of those problems by lowering the skill floor, while really having no effect on the skill ceiling?

jesus man, relax.  There are  a LOT of things with this game worth getting worked up over, but this is not one of them.  The mechanic could certainly be improved, and most people here agree on the method of doing so, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Onto something more worthwhile:

We were talking in the HCS thread about projectile weapon spread and here is what i was thinking, that im sure has been brought up before, but wanted to get it in the right place before i forget.

For a weapon like the BR, the "spread" should be linear and match the recoil but to make compensating for that more dynamic, it should also be tied to movement.  so for example, if you are standing still the spread would be like this |  if you are moving to the right it would be like this \ and if you were moving to the left it would be like /.  That way its simple enough that you can compensate with a thumbstick, but dynamic enough that you have to take into account your movement when aiming.

This all assumes that bullet magnetism is minimal of course.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So one of the issues with halo right now is that the skill floor is too high now and skill ceiling too low.

Now someone is complaining about a mechanic that addresses one of those problems by lowering the skill floor, while really having no effect on the skill ceiling?

jesus man, relax.  There are  a LOT of things with this game worth getting worked up over, but this is not one of them.  The mechanic could certainly be improved, and most people here agree on the method of doing so, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

We were talking in the HCS thread about projectile weapon spread and here is what i was thinking, that im sure has been brought up before, but wanted to get it in the right place before i forget.

For a weapon like the BR, the "spread" should be linear and match the recoil but to make compensating for that more dynamic, it should also be tied to movement.  so for example, if you are standing still the spread would be like this |  if you are moving to the right it would be like this \ and if you were moving to the left it would be like /.  That way its simple enough that you can compensate with a thumbstick, but dynamic enough that you have to take into account your movement when aiming.

I think that there are enough ranged headshot weapons that the BR doesn't need controllable spread. Something like a static that spreads further at range would work to differentiate the BR from the other headshot weapon(s).

By this logic, people who use timers of C.E. are not skilled. When, in fact, it is usually the exact opposite. The timer reminds them they need to start pushing a certain area of the map. Keeps players engaging and the gameplay from being campy or slow. 

edit: oops jaaaaas beat me to it. Sorry. 

I think that there are enough ranged headshot weapons that the BR doesn't need controllable spread. Something like a static that spreads further at range would work to differentiate the BR from the other headshot weapon(s).

hmm,  I am of the opinion that any weapons that fire more than one bullet per trigger pull should have a controllable spread.  The ∴ spread i would be OK with compared to H3s spread for example, but i dont see how that type of spread allows players to differentiate themselves skill-wise.

hmm,  I am of the opinion that any weapons that fire more than one bullet per trigger pull should have a controllable spread.  The ∴ spread i would be OK with compared to H3s spread for example, but i dont see how that type of spread allows players to differentiate themselves skill-wise.

It more forces the weapon to be used within a certain range than anything else. Why bother having a single-shot weapon when you can just control the burst weapon to do the same thing?

It more forces the weapon to be used within a certain range than anything else. Why bother having a single-shot weapon when you can just control the burst weapon to do the same thing?

Well you can still limit the general effective range depending on the degree of the spread.  After a certain point, controlling it will be more difficult but at least with a spread that you can compensate for, more skilled players will be able to use the weapons at an extended range.  Thats kind of how i approach all this stuff.  Whats a design that is functional for everybody, but will allow higher skilled players to differentiate themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In Gears you can hold down a button that shows inductors of where all the power weapons (spawn) but it doesn't show if they're there.

I really like the Gears of War implementation of showing the weapons.

I think that something like that could work for Halo, if tied to the back button for example.

You could check the scoreboard/how many are down and the pickup timers as well.

It would show where the pickups spawn on the map at all times with a timer above the icon counting down to the next static respawn. With the icons permanently showing you wouldn't be able to tell if someone picked it up. You would just know where and when the pickup will spawn again whether or not it has been picked up. And to remove screen clutter you would only see the icons and timers when you press the back button to also see the scoreboard.

The #1 best improvement that could be made to HCE is an in-game timer. This would significantly improve the game literally without changing the actual gameplay at all.

• Upvote (+1) 7

H1 NHE tells you exactly when shit spawns, and it creates tha best Halo experience available. Damnation would be gay as fuck if both teams didn't know when camo was spawning. The fight for camo is the most interesting part of the map.

Knowing where things spawn is an issue for like your first two games on the map. It's such a tiny percentage of the time that it truly isn't worth getting mad about. And if you're playing someone so new to the game that he wouldn't know where things spawn without a nav on it, you don't get to blame the nav for losing to him. You have much bigger problems than the nav. And lastly, knowing where stuff spawns isn't some badass skill to be lauded over new players. Learning where stuff spawns is a tedious process that makes your first few games on a map a lesson of trial and error and not real games. Including a way to circumvent that period is a good thing.

Obviously everyone here agrees that players should not be notified when an item is picked up.

This sort of thing gets players into playing the REAL game (fighting for power items) faster, and skips the bullshit tedium of learning times and locations. Those aren't skills to be proud of. That's Halo homework. Comparing Halo homework to aiming sounds foolish.

And I'd hardly say the flagnum is held sacred. Lol. It's more like indifference. All we cared about in H4 was that you couldn't drop the flag. Now that you can, the ability to shoot a pistol while holding the flag is practically negligible. You're usually juggling the flag anyways, and when you do need to engage, you usually drop the flag anyways. It's barely even a factor, and I don't understand the post H4 hate for it when there are so many FAR bigger problems. I would prefer not to have it too, but it just doesn't matter that much.

• Upvote (+1) 4

For a weapon like the BR, the "spread" should be linear and match the recoil but to make compensating for that more dynamic, it should also be tied to movement. so for example, if you are standing still the spread would be like this | if you are moving to the right it would be like this \ and if you were moving to the left it would be like /. That way its simple enough that you can compensate with a thumbstick, but dynamic enough that you have to take into account your movement when aiming.

I am pretty sure that the 3-shot burst spread already behaves like that when moving vs standing still. It is one of the primary reasons you can 'paint' targets with the BR for easy headshots and potential multikills with one burst.

I feel like H4 did BR recoil the best, however the shot spread wasn't perfectly straight like it should have been. H5's BR is perfectly straight however and so is the H5 version of the H2 BR and even the OG H2 BR itself after the patch. Although the H2 BRs also have no recoil.

I might be misunderstanding your point but I otherwise agree that burst-fire and auto weapons should be controllable for skill differentiation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am pretty sure that the 3-shot burst spread already behaves like that when moving vs standing still. It is one of the primary reasons you can 'paint' targets with the BR for easy headshots and potential multikills with one burst.

I feel like H4 did BR recoil the best, however the shot spread wasn't perfectly straight like it should have been. H5's BR is perfectly straight however and so is the H5 version of the H2 BR and even the OG H2 BR itself after the patch. Although the H2 BRs also have no recoil.

I might be misunderstanding your point but I otherwise agree that burst-fire and auto weapons should be controllable for skill differentiation.

No i think you got it and you make good points.  I would like to see it be slightly more exaggerated than it is now, but not so much its shaking your POV with recoil or anything.  Plus when the bullet magnetism is so high like it is in this game there is no chance to show your skill even with whatever spread is present since the bullets will just bend to your target anyway.  All my thoughts are approaching it like the bullet magnetism is cut down to almost zero.

I really like the Gears of War implementation of showing the weapons.

I think that something like that could work for Halo, if tied to the back button for example.

You could check the scoreboard/how many are down and the pickup timers as well.

It would show where the pickups spawn on the map at all times with a timer above the icon counting down to the next static respawn. With the icons permanently showing you wouldn't be able to tell if someone picked it up. You would just know where and when the pickup will spawn again whether or not it has been picked up. And to remove screen clutter you would only see the icons and timers when you press the back button to also see the scoreboard.

The #1 best improvement that could be made to HCE is an in-game timer. This would significantly improve the game literally without changing the actual gameplay at all.

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. Back button extra information functionality plus you don't need an extra button to use it with.

No i think you got it and you make good points.  I would like to see it be slightly more exaggerated than it is now, but not so much its shaking your POV with recoil or anything.  Plus when the bullet magnetism is so high like it is in this game there is no chance to show your skill even with whatever spread is present since the bullets will just bend to your target anyway.  All my thoughts are approaching it like the bullet magnetism is cut down to almost zero.

with the current br, i wouldnt mind seeing it removed and just use the dmr. the br as it stands feel a little too much like a power weapon with the magnetism while i feel the dmr is more skillful. this also lets the pistol shine as an utility weapon since it can compete with the dmr at lose range.

for h3a (i hope its real), i do agree with your initial spread suggestion. knowing where bullets will land at certain range and movement will be incredibly helpful and force a lot of deliberate, skillful shots especially in 1v1 situations with a lot of strafing