CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Read through all your ideas. These stick out the most of needing to happen in my eyes. Particularly the sniper ammo, I feel it goes under the radar because its a favourite of everybody. But 12 shots is way to much at high level of play, basically on any map with a sniper the outcome is decided by who holds it more. Of course controlling power weps is important. But 12 shots is almost 1/4 of the kills in Slayer PER spawn. And stacking sniper ammo or 2 snipes on the map is a pretty common occurrence, I dont think that should be happening.

Yeah, Sniper is an interesting subject of conversation because it's ammo only becomes problematic at the highest level of play. Not even in high level MM.

In my opinion, the BR/Carbine are the number one offenders of having too much ammo. Reducing their ammo would also have the bonus side effect of having players holding on to their pistol and dropping their ARs because they wouldn't want to run out of ammo in their precision weapon. Fewer ARs would remain in play.

I'd like to see Camo relocated on The Rig. (Maybe Open Field?) The problem with it isn't getting to it and getting it, it's getting away with it. Red team gets to choose from going E2, White Corner, BR Court, and Sewers. Blue team's only real escape route is going basement. Red team gets to have angles on so many cutoffs to help the Camo guy escape, where as the Blue team has realistically no escape route that Red team can't see. It's a clear advantage that Red team gets and it shouldn't be that way. At the very least the Camo should spawn in late like the Construct power-up in H3. 

I'd like to see Camo relocated on The Rig. (Maybe Open Field?) The problem with it isn't getting to it and getting it, it's getting away with it. Red team gets to choose from going E2, White Corner, BR Court, and Sewers. Blue team's only real escape route is going basement. Red team gets to have angles on so many cutoffs to help the Camo guy escape, where as the Blue team has realistically no escape route that Red team can't see. It's a clear advantage that Red team gets and it shouldn't be that way. At the very least the Camo should spawn in late like the Construct power-up in H3.

Probably should put camo where snipe currently is for slayer.

Probably should put camo where snipe currently is for slayer.

Why not strongholds as well? Red team would still have an advantage on strongholds going for the camo.

Why not strongholds as well? Red team would still have an advantage on strongholds going for the camo.

Because outside is already the ideal setup for Strongholds.  BR base is weak in Strongholds, that's where you need help breaking setups.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The amount of work/thought you put into these are great. Why 343 wouldn't fully utilize someone like you seriously blows my mind.... good work though.  :)

edit: sorry for the lack of multi-quote

Because outside is already the ideal setup for Strongholds.  BR base is weak in Strongholds, that's where you need help breaking setups.

Red base is the bad place to be when getting spawn killed, but NOT off the start. Off the start it's a free camo and you get a great chance at also getting the rail. If the camo is staying there it should be on a delayed timer. Red base is the better starting spawn. 

Strongholds isn't really a "setup" gametype. It's all about rotating the WHOLE time. It will rarely slow down to feature any setup gameplay, especially on The Rig since there's not really power positions but instead the "map control" is all about choking the enemys cutoffs based on the spawn they're about to get. The situation where BR base will need to get camo to break a nest/carbine setup never happens. The fact is that if someone is getting the bunker spawn vs a good team with the car/nest strongholds, the car/nest players will have white hall and rail2 controlled already as the bunker players try to flood out. And if they're controlling those angles they're gonna get that camo no problem. I don't have a problem with the camo spawning right there in strongholds, but it should be delayed if it does. In Slayer though, the true setup gametype, that camo is in a terrible spot. 

Red base is the bad place to be when getting spawn killed, but NOT off the start. Off the start it's a free camo and you get a great chance at also getting the rail. If the camo is staying there it should be on a delayed timer. Red base is the better starting spawn.

Strongholds isn't really a "setup" gametype. It's all about rotating the WHOLE time. It will rarely slow down to feature any setup gameplay, especially on The Rig since there's not really power positions but instead the "map control" is all about choking the enemys cutoffs based on the spawn they're about to get. The situation where BR base will need to get camo to break a nest/carbine setup never happens. The fact is that if someone is getting the bunker spawn vs a good team with the car/nest strongholds, the car/nest players will have white hall and rail2 controlled already as the bunker players try to flood out. And if they're controlling those angles they're gonna get that camo no problem. I don't have a problem with the camo spawning right there in strongholds, but it should be delayed if it does. In Slayer though, the true setup gametype, that camo is in a terrible spot.

Oh I don't even think about initial spawns when looking at weapon spawns and balancing because the initial spawns are the last things that should matter. Everything else takes priority and then afterwards move the initials wherever they make sense. Of course moving it to BR tower would make it a free camo for whoever spawnsc in tower if those spawns aren't moved I agree. Tower 1 could be a good spot for the camo

• Upvote (+1) 1

The biggest problems with a lopsided weapon/powerup design is the escape routes because they're often limited for one team compared to the other. 343i thinks it's a balanced weapon/power-up location if it can be contested at the same time, they don't actually consider the escape routes from the powerup/weapon placement for each team. Proof of this is Camo on The Rig and OS on Eden.

At the very least the Camo should spawn in late like the Construct power-up in H3. 

That would be an interesting change of pace. Starting strats would completely evolve and reward the team with better map control once it does spawn rather than the team with the Superior spawn.

I would say that I still like the location of camo on the Rig, jumping into the open to grab it and then dipsy doodling you can do to stay alive after picking it up is alot of fun. But as pointed out, Red side can literally fly onto it. So its a grab or burn for them. While blue side you have to burn it alot of the time. 

So this happens...

WOW.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So this happens...

This is funny. I'm actually a fan of the new Torque other than those stupid, stupid scripted elevators. If they were just a static opening then they would be solid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Delayed spawns is a perfect answer for pretty much any Assym. It's also the perfect answer for FFA. It's been proven to work in Construct KotH and TS, but we've never used it since. I think that's stupid and needs to change.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Delayed spawns is a perfect answer for pretty much any Assym. It's also the perfect answer for FFA. It's been proven to work in Construct KotH and TS, but we've never used it since. I think that's stupid and needs to change.

Yup, it's a forgotten treasure. I delay all my maps power weapons for 45 seconds off spawn

Every precision utility bar the light rifle should be removed, fighting objectively better utility weapons isn't fun, nor is it balanced.

Every precision utility bar the light rifle should be removed, fighting objectively better utility weapons isn't fun, nor is it balanced.

I was just about to say the pistol has the lowest killtime than decided to check.All the precision weapons have the same killtime except the battle rifle which is 1.28333. That's incredibly stupid and I wish I hadn't found out about it.More fuel for the 4sk pistol cult.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I just about to say the pistol has the lowest killtime than decided to check.All the precision weapons have the same killtime except the battle rifle which is 1.28333.I didn't know that.That's stupid.Another argument for a 4sk pistol.

I almost downvoted for grammer, but I appreciate the research.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I almost downvoted for grammer, but I appreciate the research.

Sorry,I'm coming off a high so my grammar has gone to shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I was just about to say the pistol has the lowest killtime than decided to check.All the precision weapons have the same killtime except the battle rifle which is 1.28333. That's incredibly stupid and I wish I hadn't found out about it.More fuel for the 4sk pistol cult.

That is odd. Maybe the faster TTK is to account for the 3 round burst. Its more difficult to land the full burst than a single shot so it rewards accuracy. Which woulf have been a nice thought if the magnatism wasnt off the charts.

That is odd. Maybe the faster TTK is to account for the 3 round burst. Its more difficult to land the full burst than a single shot so it rewards accuracy. Which woulf have been a nice thought if the magnatism wasnt off the charts.

The ttk is slower, not faster. Unless I'm missing something here.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

The ttk is slower, not faster. Unless I'm missing something here.

Right i miss read the previous post. Derp. Ignore what i said lol.

The BR being a fraction of a second slower, not faster. The Magnum is a flat 1.2 if my information is correct.

But either way, any utility rifle is just easier to use, more forgiving, sometimes faster TTK (light rifle), easier 2/3 shot beatdown, more range, has more shots per mag and so on than the pistol

What downsides do these weapons have against a magnum that the magnum can exploit? None. So players respawning are now going against a objectively better precision utility weapon. And if that is the case, you are defeating the purpose of having a utility weapon of spawn.

I mean can you imagine coming into an engagemen in Halo CE-3 and your opponent has a Pistol/BR that has more aim assist, magnetism than your utility weapon and he can more easily cross map you? It's ludicrous. It should not be a thing.

The entire point of a Utility weapon (specifically in CE) is to be on par with every weapon on the map in it's ability to be utilitarian. If it is failing to be utilitarian vs the rest of the sandbox, it's not a good utility weapon.

I think the pistol in it's own right is decently designed, skilfull weapon (but then Halo 5's aiming is so wonky, an accurate test isn't likely to happen), but the rest of the sandbox surrounding it is either a better version of it, an op automatic or an overly forgiving power weapon.

Infinity's proposed changes are a band aid solution to a larger problem, the Halo 5 sandbox is not well balanced for an Arena shooter, especially Halo. It had the tiered balancing system of an unlock system, where each tier is better than the last, when an arena shooter needs a matrix, a system where every power weapon fufills a role, and really isn't actually a power weapon, but a pick up. Ideally, the only ACTUAL power weapon should be the Rockets. everything else should be a niche counterpart to the utility weapon.

Never really thought of H5s sandbox in that way before. Consider my eyes opened in that regard and also a sad how shallow the "upgrade" style pickups on the maps are.

Great post.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Never really thought of H5s sandbox in that way before. Consider my eyes opened in that regard and also a sad how shallow the "upgrade" style pickups on the maps are.

Great post.

Awesome, good to see more people seeing the H5 sandbox's issues. The problem is these issues aren't exactly surface level, and often they need to be really explained to people, because alot of people just see everything being useful as the sandbox being well balanced, but it just isn't that simple.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Awesome, good to see more people seeing the H5 sandbox's issues. The problem is these issues aren't exactly surface level, and often they need to be really explained to people, because alot of people just see everything being useful as the sandbox being well balanced, but it just isn't that simple.

Yep. When "should i replace my utility weapon with this map pickup?" Is a really easy question to answer, you have a problem.