CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I love Proving Grounds, the only issue I see is low population, yesterday I played the same to4 5 times in a row. It's a shame that people don't like the playlist

I have that problem in Team Arena and Social Skirmish too though.  I don't think it's an accurate representation of the playlist population as much as the fact that you are searching at the exact same time and since the matchmaker thought it was a good match the first time, it put you together again.

When I run into that i just hop out of matchmaking for like a minute then search again and dont usually get the same people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have that problem in Team Arena and Social Skirmish too though. I don't think it's an accurate representation of the playlist population as much as the fact that you are searching at the exact same time and since the matchmaker thought it was a good match the first time, it put you together again.

When I run into that i just hop out of matchmaking for like a minute then search again and dont usually get the same people.

Yesterday that happened several times, I played like 20 games against 6 teams in total.

I love Proving Grounds, the only issue I see is low population, yesterday I played the same to4 5 times in a row. It's a shame that people don't like the playlist

That may be because Arena is still a thing, they are splitting each others population. 

I've heard that if nobody backs out after a match that you will always match the same people over and over because the system is just searching to fill the spots of players that left. But I can't confirm this.

I've heard that if nobody backs out after a match that you will always match the same people over and over because the system is just searching to fill the spots of players that left. But I can't confirm this.

nah halo doesnt do this but if you get a game that means the system saw it as "the best game available". If all those players wait for the countdown so they start searching at the exact same time, theyre likely to be the best match available again.

Can we just get rid of motion sensor? The new radar isn't really any better. I just end up ignoring it and it punishes advanced movement. It just feels like a bastardized solution to the problem.

If it was sprint and thrust only maybe I would feel differently, but as of today I like:

no radar>default>new tracker

lately this seems like it might be true. My lobbies game to game are almost always 6+ of the same people. I matched the same to4 5 games in a row last night.

The unique thing about this radar is that it encourages running over sprinting.

It makes the game feel far closer to classic Halo imo. I think proving grounds actually strikes a really nice balance between classic and new Halo and I hope H6 ships with this radar as default.

Now if they could just nerf the ar I'd be satisfied.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone else think it'd be cool if powerups like camo, speed boost and damage boost dropped when you died, like they do in Quake?

And I was thinking about how interactive the camo was in CE and how much control players had over its effectiveness with quick camo. It got me thinking if we could do something similar with other powerups to make using them a little more thought provoking.  

I was thinking damage boost could have like an "extra damage" meter that built up passively, and your first shot would consume the meter, so followup shots wouldn't be as strong as that initial shot.

Or maybe speed boost would gradually increase in speed as you held forward (up to a certain amount).

Or maybe you could pause the decay on OS for a second when you shoot.

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Does anyone else think it'd be cool if powerups like camo, speed boost and damage boost dropped when you died, like they do in Quake?

I've thought about this before, it would definitely be more interesting and make players more cautious when using powerups. I love getting the drop on someone using Haste/Quad Damage in Doom and therefore acquiring the powerup instead of burning it. One thing I just realized is that this might influence the OS vs Camo balance, because OS is still burnable while Camo (and the other powerups) will always last the full 45s.

And I was thinking about how interactive the camo was in CE and how much control players had over its effectiveness with quick camo. It got me thinking if we could do something similar with other powerups to make using them a little more thought provoking.

I was thinking damage boost could have like an "extra damage" meter that built up passively, and your first shot would consume the meter, so followup shots wouldn't be as strong as that initial shot.

Or maybe speed boost would gradually increase in speed as you held forward (up to a certain amount).

Thoughts?

Interesting idea. Damage boost could have some sort of "building strength" element like fighting games do or build it by moving or getting kills. This would make it much more interesting of a powerup, which is IMO needed, because it's is in such a weird place right now: It doesn't pack a punch like Quake/Doom's quad damage, but it's also strong enough to break the sandbox with the one hit kills on nades/melees/sniper body shots. I don't think damage boost will ever work too in Halo and should just be scrapped and speed boost should get a much needed buff by also acting as a rate of fire boost which enhances damage output without breaking the sandbox (basically turn it into Haste from Quake/Doom).

And yeah quick camo or a similar mechanic definitely needs to return.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thoughts?

Press a button, quick camo, camo timer gets halved. You can do this all the way till camo timer runs out. Promotes sneaky plays when you first get camo to save time then you can get a little riskier by playing more offensive with camo, or just go crazy and burn camo as much as possible to be able to get some kills with it safely. 

Dropping powerups is a good idea.

Speed Boost and Damage Boost combined into one powerup like adrenaline or something which allows faster shooting and movement is probably the best solution to the speedboost/damage boost issues.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thoughts?

I think that would increase the # of stomp matchs.If you're destroying the other team in Slayer you already have map control I don't see why we should throw even more powerups at the winning team.That emphasizes the setup and beginning of the game of the game because once you're behind it'll be very difficult to come back.Edit:unless I misunderstood what you're trying to say here.

Thoughts?

I would definitely love it if powerups dropped from dead players.

I always thought that it was cool AF that in H3's campaign you could pick up the Invincibility from a dead Brute Chieftain if you killed him before he used it. It made that all the more rewarding.

Not dropping from a dead player was also one of the biggest issues that we had trying to make Reach and H4 Armor Abilities work as a map pickup (if done properly with limited ammo/time/fuel/uses this would have been an awesome successor to H3 equipment instead of the on-spawn crap we have been getting).

If you outplay and kill a player with a powerup, you can then pick up that powerup with whatever time(or ammo per say) was left on it before it timed out.

To fit OverShield into this new mold would actually be pretty easy:

Remove the dumb decay that unnecessarily nerfs the OS over time and instead convert OverShield functionality to perform similar to the MLG Reach Custom Powerup, which would be a standard time-based powerup that simply gives you 200% shields but can still recharge normally for the 30 or 45 seconds that you have the powerup.

Because of the rechargeable shields this new OS would use the above 200%(1 layer) bonus shields instead of the decaying 300% (2-layer) bonus shields. This new OS would also not grant invincibility while charging your shields the first time since it works more as a damage resistance bonus.

I also don't think that there should be any extra perks to the powerups that are un-intuitive such as delaying OS decay by shooting or the second shot with a Damage Boost is weaker than the first. Quick Camo can just be a trait unique to specific weapons/items. We need Halo to be simple and more intuitive again please.

Also, would these new powerups still be auto-pickup? Or press a button to pickup(with classic instant effects like H4, NOT a stupid pickup animation like in H5)?

Also it would be awesome to play campaign and pickup Camo/OS/time ammo from certain Elites that you defeat, and would go hand in hand with the on-spawn Abilities being converted back to the better balanced on-map pickups that they always should have been.

Overall though I think that the idea is a great way to expand upon and refine the Classic Halo experience instead of the 'old game remake with better graphics' BS that some think that many of us want. Stuff like this is what we need to tell people who say we don't want Halo to 'evolve'.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably going to get neg rep'd into oblivion, but does anybody else feel like Overgrowth SH > Empire SH in Proving Grounds?

Yes. Both overgrowth and especially mercy strongholds with the new radar play better Tha. Empire.

Even if people worry overgrowth is all gonna be camping hallways, it's still a significant improvement over everyone nading pit off spawn, and camping turbine/sneakies with their ars out. Plus on overgrowth the pit and yard are too separated to just stay in hallways, and the grenade launcher in plaza is worth moving for.

I really think the sentinel beam should be added over caster on regret.

On coli slayer, the dmrs should be moved to the elbows. Once teams have sniper locked down with weapons, there's really nothing teams can do to break their setup given that the radar let's people know exactly where they are. Add to the stupid decision to put brute on catwalk, and the person going dmr gets killed all the time.

If the dmr is on elbow, it's still a vulnerable position, but at least there's more freedom to grab it and fight back. Plus it would make teams not stack snipe side so much

• Upvote (+1) 2

YESSS that is a great idea.  Lets bring that back, it would really shake up the meta :kappa:  :wutface:

I know software development kinda, not game development at all, but even where i work it always amazes me the things that survive the initial testing phase.  How did you think that workflow was good?  How did nobody immediately start to abuse armor lock like that in the studio so you went "wow, that's some bullshit".

Anyway, i have some more general across-the-board changes i would like to see that are totally independent of balance changes to weapons:

1) Remove ARs from the starting loadout.  Place a couple on the map instead

2) Adopt new radar immediately (these 2 should go hand in hand imo)

3) NO map weapons should have more than 1 extra clip of ammo, some should have less.

4) NO tier 1 weapons should spawn after just 15 seconds.  Make it 45 seconds or 1 minute please.  I don't like the idea of utilizing the tier 2 spawns for everything.  It would be a halo 2 situation all over again which is one of my biggest knocks against that game. 1 Tier 2 per map is good.

separate the settings.  This is something that infinity and i have debated back and forth before, but i am not in the "universal settings" camp.  I don't think the new radar should be used everywhere.  its not fair the players that dont like it, of which there are a lot and honestly i dont think its appropriate in social at all.  I would use it for all ranked playlists that have radar, and use an extended 25 meter standard radar for social.

Universal settings might work for new games that have only ever been that way and that have limited cusom options, but even a game like Overwatch still has The Arcade with multiple hoppers that deviate greatly from the standard gameplay.

Ok so i have been thinking about sprint aaaand... it seriously has to fucking die.  I dont expect that for Halo 5, i think that line was drawn in the sand a long time ago, but for Halo 6 just get rid of it.

Lore explanation (since some people need this...): "Spartans are always moving at optimal speed"  done.

I am not going to rehash anything else about sprint.  We all know the myriad of reasons why it is bad, but i will add this one.

IT WILL FREE UP A GODDAMN BUTTON ON MY CONTROLLER.  Try as i might, finding an optimal controller layout without paddles in this game is impossible.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Personally I feel the Proving Grounds radar is unnecessarily complicated. I like aspects of it, but why not just keep it simple. Just have it be a simple motion tracker that ONLY shows sprint. And possibly a larger range of 40m.

For multiple reasons,

1) tracking only certain SAs is confusing for new players ie what shows up and what doesn't.

2) tracking gun fire is unessesary except for maybe campers.

3) tracking sprint over a larger range makes it a bigger risk/reward to use it. Compensated for larger maps and faster movement. And helps to defend against Spartan charge.

4) Sprint is really the only game breaking mechanic in the game. Trust, ground pound etc don't affect gameplay as much so aren't as necessary to show up as quick blips on the radar.

5) obviously do away with the need for annoy crouch walking

Having a simple Sprint-only motion tracker would be more appealing balance for both casual and competitive.

• Downvote (-1) 3

40m....I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the prospect. How about we just get rid of sprint then these radar issues can go back to being non existent, competitive can have no radar and regular MM can have their standard 25m with no issues.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thoughts?

Too bad nobody currently working on halo actually thinks this way.... Good ideas though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Otherwise, I'm going dark on settings discussions and I will await to see what you create for the Summer Season. Good luck.

The amount of work/thought you put into these are great. Why 343 wouldn't fully utilize someone like you seriously blows my mind.... good work though.  :)

edit: sorry for the lack of multi-quote

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know I posted this in another thread. But looks like here is the more appropriate spot to discuss settings for Arena/competitive so I do apologies for the spam. So for those that havent seen my video, I'd love to have your feedback.

Ammo Reductions:

As mentioned previously, Tier 2 weapons could be dramatically improved by having their ammo reduced, but that goes for the entire sandbox. It's genuinely odd to me that weapons like the Light Rifle and SMG (which feel more balanced than the rest of the sandbox) have minimal ammo off spawn, whereas items like the BR and Storm Rifle can last forever.

• Assault Rifle: Reduce starting ammo to 1 Spare Clip
  • Battle Rifle and Carbine (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!): Reduce reserve ammo off spawn to 1 Spare Clip
  • Brute Plasma Rifle/Storm Rifle (!!): Cut battery size (-50%?)
  • Scattershot: Reduce total ammo from 10 -> 5 shots
  • Sniper Rifle: Maybe consider a reduction from 12 -> 8? It only seems to become a problem at high level play so this one is an interesting discussion

Read through all your ideas. These stick out the most of needing to happen in my eyes. Particularly the sniper ammo, I feel it goes under the radar because its a favourite of everybody. But 12 shots is way to much at high level of play, basically on any map with a sniper the outcome is decided by who holds it more. Of course controlling power weps is important. But 12 shots is almost 1/4 of the kills in Slayer PER spawn. And stacking sniper ammo or 2 snipes on the map is a pretty common occurrence, I dont think that should be happening.