CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Thrust-Sliding (I call Slide Boosting) is definitely one of the top issues with Halo's movement mechanics currently.

In the past, people complained about Sprint because it hurt map design and was a get out of jail free card, but Sprint is next to useless in Halo 5 (especially now with the new Radar).

However, Thrust-Sliding has taken its place as the new damaging mechanic. The slide and air time of a Slide Boost moves you at ridiculously fast speeds. Point A -> B travel in Halo has never behaved so sporadically, and that movement delta is why the game can be chaotic and random at times.

With No Radar (in H5), all movement could go unpunished and there were no tradeoffs for chaotic and unpredictable movement options. With the new radar, the stealth from just walking is so viable that it literally encourages you to walk rather than Sprint or Slide Boost around the map at all times. I noticed myself just not sprinting a lot during my games in Proving Grounds tonight.

This is so true... I hadn't played in a while and so when I was playing on a guest account, and forgot to toggle off sprint, I thought they removed it (I played probably 5 games before I realized, lol) I thought it made the game feel more "like halo" even with sprint and the other abilities (especially with the ability tracker). I honestly feel like this should be talked about more. The new radar is much better, and if they removed boosting it would almost be a different competitive game from the one that launched (a much better one, imo)

I mean I can't speak for everyone, but pretty much every time I spawn I feel like I have to do a boost, which I am not a fan of. 

This new radar really begs the question; What is 343's angle in regards to Spartan Abilities? I mean, we all know they love their precious reskinned armor abilities. Doesn't it seem counter productive to their agenda to create radar that actively tells the abilities to fuck off? It makes no sense to design the game around the horseshit, then proceed to treat players who use said abilities like shit. I honestly cannot wrap my head around it.

Don't get this post wrong, I fucking LOVE the radar, but 343's thought process just confuses the ever living shit out of me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This new radar really begs the question; What is 343's angle in regards to Spartan Abilities? I mean, we all know they love their precious reskinned armor abilities. Doesn't it seem counter productive to their agenda to create radar that actively tells the abilities to fuck off? It makes no sense to design the game around the horseshit, then proceed to treat players who use said abilities like shit. I honestly cannot wrap my head around it.

Don't get this post wrong, I fucking LOVE the radar, but 343's thought process just confuses the ever living shit out of me.

Don't be so confused.

When they designed this game, they thought hey these abilities will be cool. Who doesn't enjoy flying around like a bat out of hell, right? But they didn't fully understand the negative impact they would have on the meta, which tbf becomes more obvious when the game is released to the wild.

We do know at one point they planned on having the radar completely off for competitive play. Then, at the last hour the put it in. Apparently because pro team emphasized the issues created by having movement be so unpredictable.

Now they find themselves at a crossroads. The maps are all designed to require Spartan abilities, so they can't just turn them off. Many of the people who purchased the game actually like them (or are at least indifferent), so they'll likely stay on the table for discussion. But there has been 1.5 years of high level footage and dissent from player showing why the classic motion tracker is a bandaid that actually creates more problems.

So what can they do right now? Try to strike a balance, test some new setttings that reduce the chaos, whilst still allowing SA use and (hopefully) learn some valuable lessons for future games.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Again, people love to argue about how no radar makes game play more unpredictable due to the different movement speeds available with Spartan abilities, which offsets the punishment for dying. My question is, why couldn't 343 still test no radar in competitive games for a month in the same matter as this new radar playlist? Eventually, people will adapt. Pros are going to find ways to play halo 5 and know all the best ways to find their enemies, in spite of the traditional learning curve that comes with playing a new game. Imagine if the default game play for the halo trilogy used no radar, and how the fan base would actually adapt and play smarter while learning more about competitive game design (thanks Bungie).

That being said, this emphasis on high flying game play is ridiculously unnecessary when all it takes is smaller maps, more usage of traditional lifts or teleporters, and a higher BMS. These people cannot understand that this approach to fast gameplay is so much more balanced and requires even less adjusting for pro matches. I can understand the casual player's frustration in having to deal with this new radar as it's something they don't want so fundamentally changed due to all the time spent playing halo with a simpler radar.

Sooner or later, 343 needs to stop playing stupid and get the game play done right from the guidance of the community. It's not hard, so what gives?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thrust-Sliding (I call Slide Boosting) is definitely one of the top issues with Halo's movement mechanics currently.

In the past, people complained about Sprint because it hurt map design and was a get out of jail free card, but Sprint is next to useless in Halo 5 (especially now with the new Radar).

However, Thrust-Sliding has taken its place as the new damaging mechanic. The slide and air time of a Slide Boost moves you at ridiculously fast speeds. Point A -> B travel in Halo has never behaved so sporadically, and that movement delta is why the game can be chaotic and random at times.

With No Radar (in H5), all movement could go unpunished and there were no tradeoffs for chaotic and unpredictable movement options. With the new radar, the stealth from just walking is so viable that it literally encourages you to walk rather than Sprint or Slide Boost around the map at all times. I noticed myself just not sprinting a lot during my games in Proving Grounds tonight.

It's almost like removing sprint would solve all of halo's issues.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's almost like removing sprint would solve all of halo's issues.

I kinda hope its finally starting to hit home with these changes but then reality sinks in and I just wonder what else they are going to fuck with to make it fit.

Again, people love to argue about how no radar makes game play more unpredictable due to the different movement speeds available with Spartan abilities, which offsets the punishment for dying. My question is, why couldn't 343 still test no radar in competitive games for a month in the same matter as this new radar playlist? Eventually, people will adapt.Pros are going to find ways to play halo 5 and know all the best ways to find their enemies, in spite of the traditional learning curve that comes with playing a new game. Imagine if the default game play for the halo trilogy used no radar, and how the fan base would actually adapt and play smarter while learning more about competitive game design (thanks Bungie).

That being said, this emphasis on high flying game play is ridiculously unnecessary when all it takes is smaller maps, more usage of traditional lifts or teleporters, and a higher BMS. These people cannot understand that this approach to fast gameplay is so much more balanced and requires even less adjusting for pro matches. I can understand the casual player's frustration in having to deal with this new radar as it's something they don't want so fundamentally changed due to all the time spent playing halo with a simpler radar.

Sooner or later, 343 needs to stop playing stupid and get the game play done right from the guidance of the community. It's not hard, so what gives?

People can adapt to anything. Pros have adapted to radar and autos... that doesn't mean it's good. I'm sure pros will would also adapt to no radar- that doesn't mean the game would play better than it does currently or better than the modified radar.

Keep in mind, pro player HAVE tested no radar, and many have stated that for some gametypes it was better, but for most, it was worse than what we have now.

as it stands, the maps are designed for the mechanics we have. It's too late to go back to square one with h5. Hopefully the difficulty they've had appealing to casuals and pros alike encourages them to go simpler with the next game.

People can adapt to anything. Pros have adapted to radar and autos... that doesn't mean it's good. I'm sure pros will would also adapt to no radar- that doesn't mean the game would play better than it does currently or better than the modified radar.

Keep in mind, pro player HAVE tested no radar, and many have stated that for some gametypes it was better, but for most, it was worse than what we have now.

as it stands, the maps are designed for the mechanics we have. It's too late to go back to square one with h5. Hopefully the difficulty they've had appealing to casuals and pros alike encourages them to go simpler with the next game.

I don't trust pro opinions on anything. Not after Reach, not after Halo 4, and definitely not after Halo 5, ESPECIALLY having only played a few games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't trust pro opinions on anything. Not after Reach, not after Halo 4, and definitely not after Halo 5, ESPECIALLY having only played a few games.

Pros didn't make those games. With regards to H5, how do you know they only played a 'few' games.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a proving grounds style test. Just saying that because people can adapt to something doesn't mean it's better.

I'm really not convinced they can't just turn the radar off. After playing in this playlist with the new radar I actually hear people attempting to blind side me or just be in some unpredictable spot constantly. Its actually weird but since nobody speaks in MM anymore and I'm playing alone my headset is like a fucking radar in this game. Like... you can hear someone crouch easily. Walking is very loud too. Basically as soon as I stopped sprinting everywhere I can hear anything anyone does and I actually don't think that's good. Reloading, sprinting, and shooting is fine being loud and someone walking extremely close by is fine too but I'm not sure touching the controller should sound the horns. I always knew you could hear a lot of stuff in this game but I didn't realize just how loud everything is until it was all I had.

Thrust slide is actually kind of fucked up if we're wanting the game to play a little more collected though. Its really loud but it doesn't matter when I can cover the map extremely fast. There's so many times a team should cap a stronghold, recover a flag, or escape and I just fly across the map and contest somehow when really I should've never been able to be there after dying or doing whatever I had been doing before. It encroaches on the basic lulls that have to exist within the game for players to recover shields and capture objectives while lessening the punishment for dying or being out of position. Basically everything we hated about Reach sprinting.

Tac Mag only starts for Proving Grounds, please.

Why?

Why?

So you can shoot your Magnum without appearing on radar and because the AR is still the AR. But tbh, that's just another band-aid on top of a bunch of other band-aids and what I really want is to turn Halo 5 into a fun game. :simms: 

Y'all literally always complain, I like the new radar. I can finally juke people out.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This is the radar the game should have shipped with. It elevates the game more than I expected. For Halo 5 i think this is the superior choice compared to no radar at all.

The fact that im saying that is evidence of the mechanical problems of the game, because no radar should work better, but thats a halo 6 problem at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm really not convinced they can't just turn the radar off. After playing in this playlist with the new radar I actually hear people attempting to blind side me or just be in some unpredictable spot constantly. Its actually weird but since nobody speaks in MM anymore and I'm playing alone my headset is like a fucking radar in this game. Like... you can hear someone crouch easily. Walking is very loud too. Basically as soon as I stopped sprinting everywhere I can hear anything anyone does and I actually don't think that's good. Reloading, sprinting, and shooting is fine being loud and someone walking extremely close by is fine too but I'm not sure touching the controller should sound the horns. I always knew you could hear a lot of stuff in this game but I didn't realize just how loud everything is until it was all I had.

Thrust slide is actually kind of fucked up if we're wanting the game to play a little more collected though. Its really loud but it doesn't matter when I can cover the map extremely fast. There's so many times a team should cap a stronghold, recover a flag, or escape and I just fly across the map and contest somehow when really I should've never been able to be there after dying or doing whatever I had been doing before. It encroaches on the basic lulls that have to exist within the game for players to recover shields and capture objectives while lessening the punishment for dying or being out of position. Basically everything we hated about Reach sprinting.

I think the ability radar is much better honestly. It actually punishes people for sprinting and making stupid pushes etc. I agree they definitely could just turn it off, but I don't think that is the best option. 

This is the radar the game should have shipped with. It elevates the game more than I expected. For Halo 5 i think this is the superior choice compared to no radar at all.

The fact that im saying that is evidence of the mechanical problems of the game, because no radar should work better, but thats a halo 6 problem at this point.

I agree, I really prefer the new radar, I just want more people ranking in Proving Grounds playlist to balance the matches right now its been very feast or famine for me.

On your second point, my guess is that H6 MP will just be re-skinned H5 with new maps and a bit of weapon re-balancing. I seriously doubt they will simplify movement options.

I agree, I really prefer the new radar, I just want more people ranking in Proving Grounds playlist to balance the matches right now its been very feast or famine for me.

On your second point, my guess is that H6 MP will just be re-skinned H5 with new maps and a bit of weapon re-balancing. I seriously doubt they will simplify movement options.

I have had the same experience with the games.  Most of the time its been when there were players that only had a couple games in the playlist so im sure MMR isnt set yet.

Unfortunately i think you are correct.  The only movement ability i see a general concensus as being bad is Spartan Charge.  Even on waypoint and reddit people make offhand comments about how much it sucks all the time.  Everything else is fairly divisive.  Even that though, i don't see them taking the simple solution and just removing it.

I have 3 main problems with the playlist as it stands:

-Overgrowth (im sorry but there is no saving this map)

- Tyrant

- Mercy

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tyrant really just needs the sun side of the map to be more accessible. The floating islands on both sides just don't work.

Tyrant really just needs the sun side of the map to be more accessible. The floating islands on both sides just don't work.

Actually it needs to be less accessible.

My experience on the map is mainly in high level 2s but sitting either in a base, or (more popular) by the weapon pad, or somewhere between those two junctions are the most ideal setups. Why is that?

Because balancing on a map like tyrant (which is essentially a tic tac toe board) is contingent on two factors. 1: how many pathways can someone assault you from where you are standing, and 2: how are your LOS to and from where you are standing.

Think about why holding out near the weapon pad is more ideal then holding out near the upper sun baked area. You can get attacked from 1: red base, 2: blue base, as well as the path from top mid, and both interior elbows. However it doesn't matter that there's 3 ramps facing the weapon pad because they're all right next to each other. If you're watching 1 path you can see them all, and no matter which one they take it breeds the same exit point. On top of that, every path leading up to the weapon pad is long and straight, meaning it's pretty difficult to surprise anyone standing there. As long as they hug a corner they'll be well gone by the time you challenge.

Compare that to the sun baked area. You can get assaulted from either floating rock, from scattershot, and from top mid + either ledges that players can jump too. The real difference here is that you don't have any real long LOS leading up to you, meaning you don't have a chance to see someone a get shots on until they're right up in your face. The doorway to top mid is narrow, the bunker is well enough covered unless you're hovering above it, but then you can't stare at either lift where players will just shoot up to you.

If they widened the entrances up in the sun area and chipped away at the giant rock walls so that you could shoot the bases/lifts without having to run all the way to the edge to do it you'd solve a lot of problems.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've been loving PG, makes the game much faster, more creative, and widens the skill gap. A few things i noticed:

-Sound whoring is crucial now.

-When you have camo, you can sprint for a split second and not be shown on radar. Helpful when you are just out of range for the assassination

-Thrust sliding will not show up on radar again (ghosting before they patched it)

-The silenced AR is pretty dirty. 

@@MultiLockOn it's almost like there should be multiple powerups on fast static timers or something.

I never even look at weapons and power ups when balancing maps because it's not really a true solution. Gotta balance the map first and then everything in it should be complementary

• Upvote (+1) 3