CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

At this point I would advocate taking out all LR and BR;s, they are so much easier to use than the pistol/DMR its crazy. Literally a power weapon.

I would rather take out the BR and DMR, and put the LR on tier 2
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I would rather take out the BR and DMR, and put the LR on tier 2

This makes more sense. The LR for all intents and purposes should be considered a power weapon since it is both strong as a rifle substitute and incredible for cross map harassment. 

Health packs would be awesome if they were just implemented exactly like CE (Regen all Health instantly, no "Hold <Button> to pick up") and used the way Silenced ARs are being used now (Replace some of the weapons on map to reduce clutter without actually reducing the number of map items).

I think turning off health regen would have similar effects on map movement to what 4sk magnum does (another change I think would be good). Players start to be careful to take less damage, slowing down map movement enough that maybe No-Radar doesn't feel "chaotic" any more.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Don't worry I got you.

I was thinking about this and I think that you could easily create something like your weapon from certain aspects of previous weapons.

First off, don't use the Carbine. Remove it or just plain convert it to this weapon from Reach:

The Needle Rifle

Then, convert the effects of the needle rounds to behave like they did in HCE and H2 on the Needler. This means that the Needle round hits you first doing very weak damage, then explodes a brief moment later for more reasonable damage.

Multiple Needles could exponentially stack for slightly increased explosive damage, but not be locked into a set Supercombine number like later Halo games. Standing in the open too long would allow a potential Supercombine kill on you but it would be a slower to trigger one like the first two games.

It should obviously be projectile so that it can potentially be dodged a bit.

Think of the HCE Needler but the shots move like that of a precision weapon, and reskinned as the Needle Rifle.

I also think that a slightly delayed classic Needler style mini explosion would be received much better than a DoT 'Burn', while achieving the same effect. People would also likely be a bit more used to it, although it takes from the oldest Halo games.

I think this is the best one so far honestly

• Upvote (+1) 3

(start at 23s)

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/3f2d7f02-2a7d-44ef-af58-680419b2c3bf?gamerTag=NavG3&scid=1370999b-fca2-4c53-8ec5-73493bcb67e5

I wanted to upload this video of Rayne shitting on me a few days ago but I forgot.

What I want to point out at the end of the video is that I threw in a melee almost immediately after the charge hit me, but it seems as if there was almost no window of time in which I could have actually landed a melee after the hit.

I keep watching it, and it seems to me that the charge came in so fast that I would have been very hard-pressed to have registered a melee on him before the charge as well. The window of time would have been small enough that my pistol shot would have made it impossible anyway.

With that said, why is this ability the way that it is? One of the only real "counters" to it that people will often throw it is "just melee them after the charge and shoot them", which seems really hard to do when there's a slim to none possibility of landing that melee, especially considering that the exact moment where a player will charge is impossible to predict.

I'm fairly certain individual abilities can be turned off in custom settings, and spartan charge doesn't lend itself to any other abilities the way that sprint does, so what exactly has kept it in this whole time?

• Upvote (+1) 4

(start at 23s)

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/3f2d7f02-2a7d-44ef-af58-680419b2c3bf?gamerTag=NavG3&scid=1370999b-fca2-4c53-8ec5-73493bcb67e5

I wanted to upload this video of Rayne shitting on me a few days ago but I forgot.

What I want to point out at the end of the video is that I threw in a melee almost immediately after the charge hit me, but it seems as if there was almost no window of time in which I could have actually landed a melee after the hit.

I keep watching it, and it seems to me that the charge came in so fast that I would have been very hard-pressed to have registered a melee on him before the charge as well. The window of time would have been small enough that my pistol shot would have made it impossible anyway.

With that said, why is this ability the way that it is? One of the only real "counters" to it that people will often throw it is "just melee them after the charge and shoot them", which seems really hard to do when there's a slim to none possibility of landing that melee, especially considering that the exact moment where a player will charge is impossible to predict.

I'm fairly certain individual abilities can be turned off in custom settings, and spartan charge doesn't lend itself to any other abilities the way that sprint does, so what exactly has kept it in this whole time?

When someone went in for the double melee in Reach you knew you could at least trade. With spartan charge you might as well put down the controller because there is no counter to it. You can't strafe, jump or thrust out of the way because of the insane magnetism and as seen in your vid you can't counter-melee either. Spartan charge needs to go or heavily rebalanced, it's probably the worst armor ability ever besides Armor Lock and Jetpack.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't worry I got you.

I was thinking about this and I think that you could easily create something like your weapon from certain aspects of previous weapons.

First off, don't use the Carbine. Remove it or just plain convert it to this weapon from Reach:

The Needle Rifle

Then, convert the effects of the needle rounds to behave like they did in HCE and H2 on the Needler. This means that the Needle round hits you first doing very weak damage, then explodes a brief moment later for more reasonable damage.

Multiple Needles could exponentially stack for slightly increased explosive damage, but not be locked into a set Supercombine number like later Halo games. Standing in the open too long would allow a potential Supercombine kill on you but it would be a slower to trigger one like the first two games.

It should obviously be projectile so that it can potentially be dodged a bit.

Think of the HCE Needler but the shots move like that of a precision weapon, and reskinned as the Needle Rifle.

I also think that a slightly delayed classic Needler style mini explosion would be received much better than a DoT 'Burn', while achieving the same effect. People would also likely be a bit more used to it, although it takes from the oldest Halo games.

I like this idea a lot, but I'd prefer to have both weapons. The post you quoted from me was referring to the stream of consciousness post about a lifesteal weapon though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like this idea a lot, but I'd prefer to have both weapons. The post you quoted from me was referring to the stream of consciousness post about a lifesteal weapon though.

Oh. Dang it...

Wait you would have both this Needle Rifle AND The Corrosive Carbine? Both with the ability to delay shield recharge?

Or would the Carbine be this supposed lifesteal weapon?

Could you explain a bit?

When someone went in for the double melee in Reach you knew you could at least trade. With spartan charge you might as well put down the controller because there is no counter to it. You can't strafe, jump or thrust out of the way because of the insane magnetism and as seen in your vid you can't counter-melee either. Spartan charge needs to go or heavily rebalanced, it's probably the worst armor ability ever besides Armor Lock and Jetpack.

My solution to Charge (I don't want to remove it because it has some really nice uses for changing direction mid-air, especially out of lifts. And I don't think it nearly as much of an issue at high levels): Increase the time it takes to get to max sprint speed slightly (This has the secondary benefit of a larger "Knock people out of sprint" window), reduce knockback, reduce damage to be either slightly stronger or as strong as a standard melee.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My solution to Charge (I don't want to remove it because it has some really nice uses for changing direction mid-air, especially out of lifts. And I don't think it nearly as much of an issue at high levels): Increase the time it takes to get to max sprint speed slightly (This has the secondary benefit of a larger "Knock people out of sprint" window), reduce knockback, reduce damage to be either slightly stronger or as strong as a standard melee.

Just get rid of it. 

I don't see that the times where it is useful in a non-cheese way (ie. jumping gaps, getting around corner quickly without using a thrust) outweigh how shitty it is the rest of the time.

I think that we can agree that it absolutely cannot stay in the game in its current form.

It seems to me the only proper way to balance it is to have it be roughly equivalent to a standard melee, and if that's the case, i don't see the need for it at all.  At that point its just redundancy passed off as novelty.

Keep it simple, take it out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just get rid of it. 

I don't see that the times where it is useful in a non-cheese way (ie. jumping gaps, getting around corner quickly without using a thrust) outweigh how shitty it is the rest of the time.

I think that we can agree that it absolutely cannot stay in the game in its current form.

It seems to me the only proper way to balance it is to have it be roughly equivalent to a standard melee, and if that's the case, i don't see the need for it at all.  At that point its just redundancy passed off as novelty.

Keep it simple, take it out.

TBH, I don't think that it's imbalanced as much as it's just annoying. It wouldn't harm the game at all to get rid of it, but I also think that's a hard sell for 343. Everyone I've talked to outside of the competitive scene likes it.

TBH, I don't think that it's imbalanced as much as it's just annoying. It wouldn't harm the game at all to get rid of it, but I also think that's a hard sell for 343. Everyone I've talked to outside of the competitive scene likes it.

The problem is that casual kids like it because it makes them feel awesome and bad-ass and "like a spartan." So, generally, the reason they like any of the gimmicks in this game. Theoretically, you could nerf it (tone down the magnetism a TON), but I suspect that this would garner plenty of complaints as well. If you take the brain dead auto-tracking death charge and make it miss consistently, you are undermining the entire point of it to begin with, which is to make everyone feel cool with minimal thought or execution required (standard modern triple-A game design).

• Upvote (+1) 2

To the above:

I would like to run some customs with:

• No Radar
  • No Spartan charge
  • No AR secondary
  • 10 second objective respawns
  • Everything else Team Arena defaults

I think those settings are something that could be worked with and are realistically achievable goals to ask of 343.

I know people want sprint and clamber and a bunch of other shit changed too, but lets be realistic here.  343 is not going to go for that and most of the maps would break without them

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its totally imbalanced and annoying.

Whoever is sprinting blindly with no awareness just has to hit the "OH SHIT!" spartan charge button and immediately gain the upper hand even if the opposing player already has a few shots in them.

Hell, just remove it for the competitive settings and I could live with that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

According to @@Sitri custom power-up options allow you to to make a Camo that doesn't fade when walking normal speed, but since those options are only available in mini-games we can't use it for our settings.

I think this is an issue worth fast-tracking for the next patch.

Its totally imbalanced and annoying.

Whoever is sprinting blindly with no awareness just has to hit the "OH SHIT!" spartan charge button and immediately gain the upper hand even if the opposing player already has a few shots in them.

Hell, just remove it for the competitive settings and I could live with that.

I don't particularly like spartan charge, but I think it's problems are vastly overstated. The person who is getting bailed out by SC when someone gets the jump on them is also getting first rounded at every tournament they go to. Not saying I disagree with you, but spartan charge isn't even in my top-5 for changes I'd make to H5. 

How to fix/improve SC:

Make it a grounded version of GP with a short charge up required and a super loud sound effect on charge. Players can now dodge SC more frequently and it retains it's movement capabilities.

Even further, you could make it so players have to commit to a sprint in a certain direction for the charge up time, making a SC more of a read on a players movement rather than just a mindless button press.

Next?

• Upvote (+1) 4

How to fix/improve SC:

Make it a grounded version of GP with a short charge up required and a super loud sound effect on charge. Players can now dodge SC more frequently and it retains it's movement capabilities.

Even further, you could make it so players have to commit to a sprint in a certain direction for the charge up time, making a SC more of a read on a players movement rather than just a mindless button press.

Next?

Or we just allow us to dodge it with Thrust. #Shimmy2017

• Upvote (+1) 3

You could actually dodge it in the beta. Then the magnetism got cranked the fuck up on release.

I don't particularly like spartan charge, but I think it's problems are vastly overstated. The person who is getting bailed out by SC when someone gets the jump on them is also getting first rounded at every tournament they go to. Not saying I disagree with you, but spartan charge isn't even in my top-5 for changes I'd make to H5. 

I don't disagree with this either.  Other than Maniac's game-saver against Cloud, I haven't seen a spartan charge make a significant difference in the outcome of a high level game.  

At the same time, I have definitely put this game down for the night and moved onto something else and seen people rage-quit many times because of some bullshit spartan charges.  Its definitely on my top-5 list of things that i want changed (depending how specific we get with weapon specific balance changes lol)

• Upvote (+1) 2

No one here subscribes to The Gospel of Thrust like H&P does. They are not worthy.

IMO reducing damage and reverting the magnetism to beta levels or lower would take Charge from "ultra-AIDS" to "annoying". I still don't see why it has to be part of Halo, but than can be said about almost all of the Spartan Abilities.

• Upvote (+1) 1