CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

The BR is not a utility weapon, its a close-mid range niche weapon and thats by design of its 3 round burst.

3 round burst means absolutely nothing if it does everything the pistol does but better

• Upvote (+1) 6

That bum jump requires a ridiculous frame perfect input. Your sprint need needs to be considerably high to hit it. It's possible, but impractical.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply lengthen the length of the flank steak to make the bumjump more practical, than to add a simple clamber route though? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 round burst means absolutely nothing if it does everything the pistol does but better

When is the last time one of the bullets from the burst actually missed too?

I feel like as long as you hit one, you hit all 3.

I was thinking about ways to make rifles more niche. What do guys you think about changes to the actual reticle? For example, the DMR gets a buff to a 4 shot but there is no reticle (so no aim assist) unless zoomed?

Im not sold, it feels "un-halo" to me tbh but wanted to se what you think. We need variety somehow.

I was thinking about ways to make rifles more niche. What do guys you think about changes to the actual reticle? For example, the DMR gets a buff to a 4 shot but there is no reticle (so no aim assist) unless zoomed?

Im not sold, it feels "un-halo" to me tbh but wanted to se what you think. We need variety somehow.

Things like that sound interesting until people start cheesing it by putting a piece of tape on the screen like Gears. I like the idea of only zoomed having AA though, that's a good way to ACTUALLY cripple it in close range.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I like the idea of tweaking aim-assists to place the rifles into their niche. I'd like to see:

DMR: aim-assist only at mid-long or when scoped

BR: reduce magnetism so it doesnt feel like every shot in a burst hits in the same place

Carbine: greatly reduce magnetism and headshot priority, apply corrosive damage effect

Magnum: 2x scope, increased ROF

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply lengthen the length of the flank steak to make the bumjump more practical, than to add a simple clamber route though? 

Cost/risk vs. reward.

Bum jumps usually either give you a drastic repositioning (Basement -> White Corner, for example) or are intended to be a difficult route (Engine 1 -> Junction)—something thats not always practical but can be used in niche situations.

In this scenario, Yellow Corner -> Tower 2 is already extremely restrictive. The only path from Yellow to Tower is really wonky and requires a minimum of 1 Clamber to get up there. My argument is basically that the current flow between those two areas could use improvement, or more options to select from. A jump with more practicality would help provide more options to the player, and more dynamic gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like the idea of tweaking aim-assists to place the rifles into their niche. I'd like to see:

DMR: aim-assist only at mid-long or when scoped

BR: reduce magnetism so it doesnt feel like every shot in a burst hits in the same place

Carbine: greatly reduce magnetism and headshot priority, apply corrosive damage effect

Magnum: 2x scope, increased ROF

I love this idea.  

I love this idea.

I stole it from someone else on here. I didn't even know what it was at first, but once explained, it made too much sense.

I love this idea.  

I stole it from someone else on here. I didn't even know what it was at first, but once explained, it made too much sense.

It was me. I'm glad to see people like it. Hopefully somebody that matters takes notice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was me. I'm glad to see people like it. Hopefully somebody that matters takes notice.

I dont think damage over time works in Halo. What happens if you are going to die because of dot ?? you cant heal up, any of your teammate cant heal you up, you just die in a frustrating way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont think damage over time works in Halo. What happens if you are going to die because of dot ?? you cant heal up, any of your teammate cant heal you up, you just die in a frustrating way.

He has proposed before that this damage would only linger for about a 4th of a second and take away 1-2% of shields (while resetting after the next shot connects). As long as you can avoid damage, you should be fine.

Besides, do you think it's as frustrating as dying because your weapon was blatantly worse in that gunfight with no chance of a reversal?

He has proposed before that this damage would only linger for about a 4th of a second and take away 1-2% of shields (while resetting after the next shot connects). As long as you can avoid damage, you should be fine.

Besides, do you think it's as frustrating as dying because your weapon was blatantly worse in that gunfight with no chance of a reversal?

Then what is the point ??. I would have a DOT that couldnt do health damage but prevented shield regen for 3 secs.

Then what is the point ??. I would have a DOT that couldnt do health damage but prevented shield regen for 3 secs.

What do you mean by DOT?

And Hard Way still wishes the Carbine to take around 7-8 shots to kill while still dealing corrosive damage as a support weapon. I don't think you even realize how much more annoying the features you're suggesting would be in practice. .25 seconds is enough time to be noticeable without being obnoxious. 3 seconds? You may as well make that a power weapon.

In fact, that weapon would be so situational that it would be entirely useless outside of team-shooting. Flexibility should still be maintained with most weapons in the sandbox, not just have a black and white view of how to use the weapon. That's how you end up with the storm rifle.

What do you mean by DOT?

And Hard Way still wishes the Carbine to take around 7-8 shots to kill while still dealing corrosive damage as a support weapon. I don't think you even realize how much more annoying the features you're suggesting would be in practice. .25 seconds is enough time to be noticeable without being obnoxious. 3 seconds? You may as well make that a power weapon.

In fact, that weapon would be so situational that it would be entirely useless outside of team-shooting. Flexibility should still be maintained with most weapons in the sandbox, not just have a black and white view of how to use the weapon. That's how you end up with the storm rifle.

dude 2% shield is nothing, there is literally no point.

dude 2% shield is nothing, there is literally no point.

When the carbine is still doing base damage, there is no reason to make the corrosive damage (in its full duration) overwhelming against players. You're just asking for rebalances otherwise. Delaying shield recharge is enough of a reason to pick up the carbine as a support weapon while still being given the opportunity to be outplayed by other weapons.

When the carbine is still doing base damage, there is no reason to make the corrosive damage (in its full duration) overwhelming against players. You're just asking for rebalances otherwise. Delaying shield recharge is enough of a reason to pick up the carbine as a support weapon while still being given the opportunity to be outplayed by other weapons.

No reason to clutter the map with useless weapons, the same problem we have now, 3 rifles on maps for no reason. we should make the pick ups worth our while and put them on timers .

No reason to clutter the map with useless weapons, the same problem we have now, 3 rifles on maps for no reason. we should make the pick ups worth our while and put them on timers .

Denying shield recharge would be a big deal. I fail to see the "useless" part of it.

Denying shield recharge would be a big deal. I fail to see the "useless" part of it.

Denying?? For a quarter of a second may as well don't do anything at all.

Then make it 0.5s? Obviously the implementation has to be tested and some changes have to be made. All he's saying is "the Carbine should delay shield recharging by a fraction of a second without being OP", you are focusing ob details too much.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In your brain, its either doing too much or doing too little to matter. Is there no way to tweak it right?

You've entered being dismissive without thinking territory. This would be useful and fill an interesting niche, rather than have the carbine be yet another buffed magnum.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well I'd also like to bring back health packs

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you die to dot then you die to dot, I don't know what you're getting at. If it's that frustrating to you then hypothetically just disable dot to health.

I think .25 seconds is kinda useless given the speed the carbine shoots at. If anything I'd want to greatly decrease the damage per shot BUT allow the lingering damage over time to stack in a way that if you nailed the 7 or 8 the stack would continue and then off them in a few seconds. You sacrifice some raw ttk in favour of delaying shield recharge which actually makes it valuable only in long range to avoid trades. I'd probably do like a 2 second dot with very very small damage increments that only truly get lethal at 6 or 7 shots in.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you die to dot then you die to dot, I don't know what you're getting at. If it's that frustrating to you then hypothetically just disable dot to health.

I think .25 seconds is kinda useless given the speed the carbine shoots at. If anything I'd want to greatly decrease the damage per shot BUT allow the lingering damage over time to stack in a way that if you nailed the 7 or 8 the stack would continue and then off them in a few seconds. You sacrifice some raw ttk in favour of delaying shield recharge which actually makes it valuable only in long range to avoid trades. I'd probably do like a 2 second dot with very very small damage increments that only truly get lethal at 6 or 7 shots in.

Yeah that could work. I would do it in a different way, lets say the carbine stacks for 10 secs and the next shot a teammate do to a stacked enemy it consumes the stacks doing +damage.
  • Upvote (+1) 1