CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

That doesn't mean much because Halo 5's magnum minimal TTK is twice as long Halo 1's pistol minimal TTK. Every Halo game post Halo 1 suffers from having an inadequate utility weapon due to their minimal TTK being too long and Halo 5 isn't an exception.

And it's not as if the Magnum's relatively faster kill times exist in isolation. H2 and H3 had longer kill times, but at the very least the BR still had a pretty comfortable advantage over most on-map weapons outside of really niche weapons and power weapons. In H5, basically EVERY weapon is within fractions of a second of a trade, if not outright superior in terms of kill time. The H5 Magnum is just the shitty version of the rifles that you deal with until you have a good opportunity to ditch it. Honestly, you could argue that the AR is a better utility weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I should have made this post after running some games last night but here are some random thoughts. @@GH057ayame & @@Deez

Coliseum

• As I said earlier in the thread, removing Scattershot is a great way to trim the fat but I still like the idea of a decent-strength weapon in Trench. Silenced AR isn't doing much, and BPR is in a pretty advantageous position. I think moving BPR to Trench and the AR to Top Mid would be a fantastic change.

Plaza

• Blue Team now has a free BR off the breakout, which is pretty milk. The new Cafe BR felt great for fighting out of spawn traps in both Slayer and Strongholds, but the meta will likely just shift towards trapping players in Tram/Glass.
  • I think moving the Yard BR to the old Tram SMG location (or just lean it up against the Car next to Glass) would essentially even out the two spawn locations, allowing players to compete with players in a Cinema setup from either side, or use the BR to push into Yard to gain the Tier 2 items there.
  • I still agree with my prediction that Storm Rifle would be too "free" for players capping/contesting the Bottom Mid Stronghold. Consider moving it to U-Turn, which is probably one of the weakest positions on the map.

Empire

• Not sure how I feel about the Battle Rifle, just doesn't seem much like a reward for gaining positioning, like it does on Coliseum. The map is way too small and eventually the BR will just leak into other areas of the map and gunfights will start to feel unbalanced. If it stays I won't complain but I don't think it serves a definitive role.
  • Camo is better than SAW but I think that we can all agree that the #1 problem with this gametype is still the Assault Rifle's strength.

Truth & Regret

• Solid stuff on both of these maps. Both of them feel like Pistol-city which is exactly what I want to see. Looking forward to seeing the final variants but I'm pretty happy with how they felt in the games I played.

The Rig

• Pretty good changes across the board.
  • Still not sure how I feel about the BR though. I think Carbine was more effective as a descoping tool to combat Engine/Nest Bridge players, and the BR sort of leaks into Basement team fights in Strongholds too easily. I think swapping the BR with DMR at Cargo was a solid choice for the Fall Season but I'm still on the fence about the Deck BR.

Fathom

• Flag location didn't make the map feel drastically different based on what I played. I still think the top priority should be moving/nerfing the Vat spawns but it's a tough call at this point.
  • Could something like OS (in place of Camo) or Sword be used to speed up flag runs? I feel like with how open the Streets/Bases are, and how small the map is in terms of length, Camo doesn't really cater to extremely dramatic flanks like it does on a map like Truth. Could Overshield be the answer? Just spitballing.

Eden

• I still think that the Vanilla Stronghold layout was one of the best experiences in Halo 5. Not much I can fight for in this department other than trying to get you guys to revert it.
  • Shotgun removal felt pretty nice. It's much easier to break Tower now. Players in a Blue setup have to up their communication a lot to determine which choke to pour resources into (Blue Bend vs. Red Security). I still want to play more of this though, it could need more changes.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

I should have made this post after running some games last night but here are some random thoughts. @@GH057ayame & @@Deez

We managed to scrim on the new settings on Monday, so I'll give my thoughts here.

Coli

• BPR moved to replace Silenced AR on Coli would be a positive change for sure.

Plaza

• Moving the Yard BR seems unnecessary. Having a BR is a small advantage and if anything, the Cafe BR is correcting an imbalance, not creating one.
  • Wouldn't complain with moving Storm, though I think I'd rather see it moved towards the edge of the map . Give players playing sneaky from Blue to Nest something to work with and make them go out of their way to use it to defend bottom mid.

Empire

• Don't have a problem with the new BR, would rather that be there than the grenades it is replacing.
  • Camo doesn't seem to play well on Empire SH (not sure if it's even better than SAW due to the amount of focus it draws). Would like to see Sentinel Beam tested or maybe something even less powerful than that. Maybe move combo to T2 and call it a day.

Truth & Regret

• Silenced AR doesn't make much sense on maps without Camo, but other than that, yeah Truth and Regret are both overwhelmingly positive changes.

Rig

• I think The Rig is going to take a lot of time before we really figure out how the changes affect the meta. Every TS game I've played so far has played completely different than the last.
  • I will say that Scatter/Rail/Camo spawn too close to each other in SH. Maybe swap the Scatter and Needler in SH and move the Railgun down onto the OG snipe spawn.

Fathom

• Fathom definitely plays better, but still not great. I also think Camo is necessary due to how effective it is at ending standoffs. Camo/Sword perhaps?

Eden

• Eden TS is improved, IMO. Though I think the barrel changes on snipe are a step in the wrong direction. Also I think nudging Hydra towards the window a bit would make that weapon a little less "free", but it's OK as-is.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

We managed to scrim on the new settings on Monday, so I'll give my thoughts here.

Plaza

• Moving the Yard BR seems unnecessary. Having a BR is a small advantage and if anything, the Cafe BR is correcting an imbalance, not creating one.
  • Wouldn't complain with moving Storm, though I think I'd rather see it moved towards the edge of the map . Give players playing sneaky from Blue to Nest something to work with and make them go out of their way to use it to defend bottom mid.

Empire

• Don't have a problem with the new BR, would rather that be there than the grenades it is replacing.
  • Camo doesn't seem to play well on Empire SH (not sure if it's even better than SAW due to the amount of focus it draws). Would like to see Sentinel Beam tested or maybe something even less powerful than that. Maybe move combo to T2 and call it a day.

Rig

• I think The Rig is going to take a lot of time before we really figure out how the changes affect the meta. Every TS game I've played so far has played completely different than the last.

Fathom

• Fathom definitely plays better, but still not great. I also think Camo is necessary due to how effective it is at ending standoffs. Camo/Sword perhaps?

All fair points.

I think Fathom and Rig are definitely the maps that need the most testing but I definitely think the potential is there for both of them.

Fiddling with Empire is obviously important (I do like just the simple Plasma Pistol T2 and OS Outside idea) but I enjoyed Camo in my games.

I definitely think we could play around with Storm Rifle at Eastgate on Plaza, but that might make pushing the Nest Stronghold really easy. Worth testing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quick hit thought here:

1) @@Infinity and @@bunniesz23 hit the details pretty good there

2) Overall, these changes are so much better than whatever changes were tried last season. THANK YOU!

3) Despite the toning down of weapon pickups, i still find im fighting with or against a map pickup way too much.  I think the number of pickups are actually ok, but can we please increase the respawn time once a tier 1 is picked up and after a tier 2 is despawned????

• Upvote (+1) 1

The rifles in this game are definitely the easiest in the series. The bullet mag is insane on them.

Have you played H2A lately? It's practically impossible to miss and the thing practically sticks to people even at extreme ranges.

The H5 rifles are definitely harder to use. It may be because of the crappy aiming and the effect of thrust or maybe they're just straight up harder.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Balanced, but not good

There still should not be weapons that are functional clones/upgrades.

One/Two Precision weapons is all that is needed

We have fucking 6, all contributing to inconsistent combat.

Like, what are they doing? How do they think this is a serviceable Arena sandbox? Do they care? Probably not

I'm tired of 343, I have never seen such a waste of a large franchise in gaming.

Well, I agree but this is largely subjective.

Im just saying IF all these weapon exists a good way to balance them is to have the rifles having a moderate TTK combined with being decently easy to use while having the pistol being harder to use with a faster perfect TTK.

Maybe if the player is already sprinting when he's spotted in the open...

If you catch a player walking, and start hitting him with magnum shots, he'll never be able to start a sprint.

The pistols ttk isnt so different from other precision weapons that players can easily get away. The problem is that it's harder to use than every other precision weapon (due to magnetism and red reticle range) AND has a longer ttk, so pistol are disadvantaged in 1v1s.

The harder weapon should have a lower ttk. That way skill is rewarded.

You don't have to start up a sprint. You just thrust behind cover first. Then most of the time you can just walk away as teammates will already be on their way and people can converge and collapse so quickly in this game.

H5 just plays really awkwardly IMO. The fast out of combat movement combined with slow in combat movement and long kill times. It just doesn't play very well imo.

Or the pistol is pretty darn good. How bad is your shot?

it doesn't matter how good or bad someone's shot is. The thing has a 1.2 second perfect kill time. That is more than enough time to thrust behind something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I kind of wonder why the Nade Launcher wasn't introduced in The Rig for the Season Preview...

Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for the map, and being new to H5, a good time to bring it into MM.

I kind of wonder why the Nade Launcher wasn't introduced in The Rig for the Season Preview...

Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for the map, and being new to H5, a good time to bring it into MM.

It was going to be but...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The grenade launcher as it is kills from too far away. If I had to take one or the other, I'd take the GL over the plasma caster, but would prefer none of them.

We need to stop asking 343 for new weapons.

The grenade launcher as it is kills from too far away. If I had to take one or the other, I'd take the GL over the plasma caster, but would prefer none of them.

We need to stop asking 343 for new weapons.

This is the shit we mean when we call 343 bad in the various ways we do.

343 are trying to push Halo as a competitive force again.

And proceeds to have 99% of the sandbox easy to use and very forgiving crap.

The ideology of the designers at 343 just seem to love easy kill weapons, not rewarding skillful weapons. Having the only skillful weapon be the spawn utility weapon and having everything else be a free kill machine defeats the purpose of the utility role weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Posted this in another thread but thought it should live here.

This should never have happened:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Apoll0/video/25181985

Decided to play some AR only games and this shit was happening.  Not only was i missing... but the range on that is ridiculous.

pls nerf.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Decided to play some AR only games and this shit was happening. Not only was i missing... but the range on that is ridiculous.

pls nerf.

I don't really mind it being accurate to that range, hell, I wouldn't mind if the AR became more like the Quake machine gun, as long as it doens't kill ******edly quickly WITH that accuracy

Decided to play some AR only games and this shit was happening. Not only was i missing... but the range on that is ridiculous.

pls nerf.

I actually don't mind the AR range, I only mind the kill time, I no situation an AR should kill faster than the pistol .
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I actually don't mind the AR range, I only mind the kill time, I no situation an AR should kill faster than the pistol .

I agree with your second part but not the first. There should be an outside range where an automatic is basically useless (due to diffuculty not necessarily damage). If you are going to shoot the AR that far, it should be really fucking hard to land consecutive shots.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with your second part but not the first. There should be an outside range where an automatic is basically useless (due to diffuculty not necessarily damage). If you are going to shoot the AR that far, it should be really fucking hard to land consecutive shots.

When I say I don't mind the range I'm a assuming an AR that does less damage, but will still serve as a tool to descope Snipers/Rifles.

When I say I don't mind the range I'm a assuming an AR that does less damage, but will still serve as a tool to descope Snipers/Rifles.

yeah i hear you. I think the whole auto discussion needs to start with a base damage nerf without changing mechanics.

Remove the headshot bonusus to start, and see how thats playing after a couple weeks. Adjust from there

yeah i hear you. I think the whole auto discussion needs to start with a base damage nerf without changing mechanics.

Remove the headshot bonusus to start, and see how thats playing after a couple weeks. Adjust from there

Headshot multipliers are a double edged sword. They have pros and cons.

We should start with a base damage nerf first. Would be fascinating to see how the AR would play if it was tuned to kill even just 2-3 bullets slower.

Headshot multipliers are a double edged sword. They have pros and cons.

We should start with a base damage nerf first. Would be fascinating to see how the AR would play if it was tuned to kill even just 2-3 bullets slower.

I cant support headshot multipliers on autos as long as random spread is a thing though. Maybe if it only counted for the first shot of a burst, or was a non-random spread like a simplified CS mechanic, but that seems to be over-complicating things.

Edit: forgot to mention that i agree on the quantity of the nerf though. Whatever form it takes i really only think a 2 or 3 bullet longer kill time is needed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I cant support headshot multipliers on autos as long as random spread is a thing though. Maybe if it only counted for the first shot of a burst, or was a non-random spread like a simplified CS mechanic, but that seems to be over-complicating things.

Headshot multipliers really are only random when both players are holding the trigger at point blank range. Tap firing for headshots will almost always prevail at mid and long ranges.

Plus, most automatic kills end in Melees. If you want to nerf that, then once again the problem is base damage, not headshots.

IIRC the H5 AR is just the H4 AR with ADS bonuses and headshot multipliers. We should remove these first because the H4 AR was pretty much perfectly balanced.

IIRC the H5 AR is just the H4 AR with ADS bonuses and headshot multipliers. We should remove these first because the H4 AR was pretty much perfectly balanced.

H4 AR didn't kill in under a second.