CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Whats up everyone, Just putting in some input i have been thinking about and looking into. Two of the biggest changes to competitive settings since H3 to H5 have been adding Radar and using the Pistol instead of BR start. BR start allows for teams to actually be able to control the map with decent set ups and punish teams for making mistakes. On the other side, being pushed back into your base with having BR starts you can actually setup with your team. Get a couple picks and push out with your team. Unlike the settings now, once a team gets the BR / Carbine ( on Truth) at least it makes it almost impossible to push out with out getting murdered. The pistol in my eyes is not as strong as the BR / Carbine and you are almost always going to loose that fight. Having BR start would change the flow of the games and allow for proper set ups. I don't mind the pistol either, not hating or disliking the weapon. Just some of the things i have noticed.

Or 343 could just buff the pistol so one has to make a decision between a harder to use but more rewarding pistol and easy to use BR with a slightly longer perfect TTK
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Whats up everyone, Just putting in some input i have been thinking about and looking into. Two of the biggest changes to competitive settings since H3 to H5 have been adding Radar and using the Pistol instead of BR start. BR start allows for teams to actually be able to control the map with decent set ups and punish teams for making mistakes. On the other side, being pushed back into your base with having BR starts you can actually setup with your team. Get a couple picks and push out with your team. Unlike the settings now, once a team gets the BR / Carbine ( on Truth) at least it makes it almost impossible to push out with out getting murdered. The pistol in my eyes is not as strong as the BR / Carbine and you are almost always going to loose that fight. Having BR start would change the flow of the games and allow for proper set ups. I don't mind the pistol either, not hating or disliking the weapon. Just some of the things i have noticed.  

Using the pistol isn't the change you're talking about but you do describe the symptoms of the problem. Its that they took our utility weapon and created four other variations of it that are all strictly superior in the ease of use department and roughly equal kill time wise then placed them all over the map so that the team with control has not only map position but an easier time aiming as well. Its asinine. They don't do anything compelling or healthy for the game. The actual quick fix for the problem isn't BR starts. Its deleting BR, LR, Carbine, and DMR from the maps until they can piece together a reasonable excuse to place them on the map and in vastly reduced amounts. The pistol takes more skill to use than any of the above and should be the only one remaining on maps. You're really just picking up easy mode when you take a rifle from wherever it spawned in Halo 5. Nothing more.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The BR is too easy.

The easiest solution is to remove all the automatics and all the rifles and just have actual power weapons on the map, instead of starting weapon upgrades. You could make one or two exceptions on every map where you treat a light rifle or something as a tier 2 weapon.

Ultimately 343 needs to make weapon balance changes based on HCS needs rather than Warzone. Until then we are going to be struggling with weak utility against easy power weapons.

I honestly don't understand why 343 is so hesitant to nerf weapons like the sniper. You just tell the Warzone crowd they'll be able to access these weapons sooner in the game, and they might complain, but I doubt they'd quit playing. Whereas the weapon balance in arena has a more serious impact on the playability of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Alright. Listen.

This No Radar thing. It's pretty important. It's very important.

If this is gonna be tested we need to demand something. And I don't mean "we" as in Beyond. I'm talking about the Professionals that want this change to be a reality. We should ask for the devs to put out their settings test in a new playlist, but alongside it, No Radar.

Test it for a month. Let people figure out how to experience the game without that crutch. Out in the wild, we can determine just how much the game changes when there's no free information at the bottom left corner of the screen.

Suggest it. Demand it. I don't care how you do it.

Just get the idea started and push.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There's actually a full temporary mm playlist for warpath being added soon

Sweet

I would like to study sentinel beam over caster on regret. It's not overpowering but good enough to go after and weaken players. It helps making regret mostly shooting without worrying about a true power weapon like the caster

Alright. Listen.

This No Radar thing. It's pretty important. It's very important.

If this is gonna be tested we need to demand something. And I don't mean "we" as in Beyond. I'm talking about the Professionals that want this change to be a reality. We should ask for the devs to put out their settings test in a new playlist, but alongside it, No Radar.

Test it for a month. Let people figure out how to experience the game without that crutch. Out in the wild, we can determine just how much the game changes when there's no free information at the bottom left corner of the screen.

Suggest it. Demand it. I don't care how you do it.

Just get the idea started and push.

The first event that seeds the first 3 HWC spots is in a month and 2 days

...the settings need to be finalized in 2 weeks MAX.

There's actually a full temporary mm playlist for warpath being added soon

Really? Where was this mentioned? Seems like a baddass gametype.

Winter Arena Settings – Test #9 Variants

All changes from T6-8 can be found here. This list is a compilation of changes to those existing test maps.

Plaza

• 2x Splinters Removed from Cafe Window
  • 1x Splinter added to Yard Elevator (Slayer)
  • 1x Splinter added to Cinema Loft
  • 2x Frag Grenades added to Posters
  • Eastgate Battle Rifle Removed
  • Hotel Plasma Grenades moved to Cafe Window
  • Tram Plasma Grenades moved to Tram Loop
Coliseum
  • Scattershot replaced with Silenced Assault Rifle
Mercy
  • Top Mid Stronghold size reduced
  • Halo 2 Beam Rifle Removed (Strongholds)
  • Hydra added Open Ramp (Strongholds)
Regret
  • No known changes
  • I might have missed this in my previous update, but 1x Splinters were added to the Red/Blue Toilets (Clamber route in back of bases)
The Rig
  • Sniper Rifle moved to Nest (Slayer)
  • Scattershot moved to Barrels/Yellow Corner
  • Needler moved to Basement
  • Open Field Plasma Grenades moved to Back Rail
  • 2x Frag Grenades added to old Plasma Grenade Location
  • Basement Splinter Quantity reduced from 2 -> 1
  • Railgun replaces SPNKr Rockets, moved to the "Square" next to old Sniper Spawn (Strongholds)
Eden
  • Blue Nest Barrels repositioned
  • Red Splinters reduced from 2 -> 1
  • Blue Splinters reduced from 2 -> 1
Fathom
  • No known changes
Empire
  • Forgot to mention this in my original post, but the Red/Blue Platform Barrels have been removed
  • No new changes
Truth
  • Grenade Launcher Removed
  • Energy Sword moved Top Mid
  • Plasma Pistol re-added Carbine 1

Is there a rundown of the changes from T7 to T9 settings?

There you go. Link to the 6-8 changes are in there too.

As a side note, I know that 343 is probably all worried about making a drastic change like no radar with such a short time before qualifiers start buttt...

WHO FRIGGIN CARES??? Whenever the change is made, all teams will have the same amount of time to practice, which will put them on even footing.  How they use the limited time they have goes to their ability as a team IMO.  Just do it

• Upvote (+1) 3

What is 343's obsession with silenced weapons? With radar, you still have to crouch if you want to stay off. Unless you're stationary shooting, which doesn't make sense to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There you go. Link to the 6-8 changes are in there too.

As a side note, I know that 343 is probably all worried about making a drastic change like no radar with such a short time before qualifiers start buttt...

WHO FRIGGIN CARES??? Whenever the change is made, all teams will have the same amount of time to practice, which will put them on even footing.  How they use the limited time they have goes to their ability as a team IMO.  Just do it

If I had to guess that isn't one of their concerns. They are probably juggling the following things

• Demand from higher ups to force default Halo to be competitive (bad)
  • Push for universal settings to improve Halo's image (good)
  • Balancing actual gameplay dilemmas (verticality and movement deltas)

Deadlines probably factor in but most of the problems they are actually debating on are happening internally, in the background.

What is 343's obsession with silenced weapons? With radar, you still have to crouch if you want to stay off. Unless you're stationary shooting, which doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, if I had to guess, Quinn/Design teams want X amount of automatic weapons on the map and/or want to bring REQ items into the Arena sandbox, and to avoid dramatic balance scares, Ghost decided to silence the AR. It gives a slight buff to Camo players and a minuscule buff for people who are crouching, its a bit silly and redundant in the big picture but it isn't the worst idea if that is the solution to those demands that I just described.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I had to guess that isn't one of their concerns. They are probably juggling the following things

Deadlines probably factor in but most of the problems they are actually debating on are happening internally, in the background.

• Agree - Higher ups should be focusing on a fun, balanced experience but not necessarily on being competitive in its vanilla form.
  • Disagree - You and I have debated about this before but i just can't buy the "universal settings are good" debate.  Especially for Halo, a game that basically built its legacy on being diverse.  Good default settings are necessary as a template to build upon for other gametypes and play styles, but shouldn't be "pushed" where they aren't the best choice.
  • Overstated - as far as gunplay is concerned anyway. unknown as far as radar is concerned because we haven't played it that way enough yet.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I mean, if I had to guess, Quinn/Design teams want X amount of automatic weapons on the map and/or want to bring REQ items into the Arena sandbox, and to avoid dramatic balance scares, Ghost decided to silence the AR. It gives a slight buff to Camo players and a minuscule buff for people who are crouching, its a bit silly and redundant in the big picture but it isn't the worst idea if that is the solution to those demands that I just described.

And I originally thought that it was maybe that they were actually going to try a radar that only shows enemies when they are using spartan abilities or firing.. I mean the game has been out for over a year after all. Crazy of me to think they were actually going to try something new/try to make the game more competitive over a year after release (besides moving weapons around). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Excessive, easy to use power-weapons and functional upgrades placed in power positions contributes just as much if not more than the spawn timers. Snowballing via cascading advantages (power weapons) or snowballing via collapse-able spawns, either way it's still snowballing. It's the fundamental flaw with Slayer as a game mode: Anything you do to encourage movement is also going to contribute to snowballing.

We've seen several slayer maps throughout the franchise that feature multiple PUs and/or PWs that were not all that prone to snowballing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The quantity is certainly part of the problem. There needs to be a realistic limit on the number of weapons upgrades, especially power weapons, no matter how well they are balanced or thoughtfully placed on the map.

There being too many, and being too strong are both problems.

Ya but a lot of this comes back to the pistol being weak as fuck. It's a fundamental, baseline issue that reverberates throughout the rest of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We've seen several slayer maps throughout the franchise that feature multiple PUs and/or PWs that were not all that prone to snowballing.

They also had 5 second respawns instead of 8 and the weapons were harder to use.

They also had 5 second respawns instead of 8 and the weapons were harder to use.

Yeah one of my least Favorite changes in H5 from other Halos is the 5  and 10 second respawns to 8 second. That's such a  strange thing to make universal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ya but a lot of this comes back to the pistol being weak as fuck. It's a fundamental, baseline issue that reverberates throughout the rest of the game.

I think the weakness of the pistol is overstated. Its weak in comparison to every other map pickup yes.  But there is also the issue where all other map pickups are just so damn easy to use.  Increase the difficultly level of most other weapons even slightly, and suddenly the pistol becomes a lot stronger.

I look at it this way: Yes you might be right.  A buffed pistol might be better.  But we really dont know that. It could simply have the effect of making every other weapon useless (inb4 the "whats wrong with that??" arguments).  What we do know is that regardless of the starting weapon power, the rest of the sandbox is still jacked.  Auto's need a nerf and rifles need to be harder to use.  Start there then move to a more powerful starting weapon if necessary.

Yeah one of my least Favorite changes in H5 from other Halos is the 5  and 10 second respawns to 8 second. That's such a  strange thing to make universal.

Yeah, thats the definition of "Change for the sake of change".  I dont see how that adds anything to the game.  Respawn time is one of the tools that you can use to properly balance a gametype, and 343 seems unwilling to use that tool, which I dont understand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just curious, how has universal settings in any way been positive for halo's image? All it has done is make hcs settings less competitive than they should be, and robbed the core base of many of the ranked gametypes they actually enjoy.

Both groups have been unsatisfied by the universal settings since launch, with team skirmish being a slight (but still inadequate) relief.

If anything this experiment in futility had harmed halos image.

• Upvote (+1) 7