CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

In Slayer? the spawn system. 8 seconds is more than enough time to figure out where the other team is spawning and begin collapsing on them, maintaining a numbers advantage and racking up kills in the process. Teams that do this well enough consistently win slayers in Halo 5, and the only map this isn't entirely true on (Eden) just happens to be the one with the most power weapons.

But that is a major flaw. The respawn timer should not be that long in slayer. h5 slayer is the most snowbally shit i've seen outside of h5 warzone.

But that is a major flaw. The respawn timer should not be that long in slayer. h5 slayer is the most snowbally shit i've seen outside of h5 warzone.

Excessive, easy to use power-weapons and functional upgrades placed in power positions contributes just as much if not more than the spawn timers. Snowballing via cascading advantages (power weapons) or snowballing via collapse-able spawns, either way it's still snowballing. It's the fundamental flaw with Slayer as a game mode: Anything you do to encourage movement is also going to contribute to snowballing.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yeah, that's been a topic of debate. I don't see the need for a universal spawn timer.  it seems like another "change for the sake of change" things.

I think 8 seconds is fine if we get radar removed, but with radar 5 would be better.

With Radar:

5 seconds - Slayer

8 seconds - Strongholds

10 seconds - Flag

Without radar:

8 Seconds - Slayer

10 seconds - everything else

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone made Warpath from Doom, that could be a pretty cool comp gamemmode. For those unaware: think KoTH meets payload.

Adding a vid now that I'm not on mobile anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree with this. Except for limiting PWs and Power ups.

What is going to encourage movement and conflict?

This. The quantity of power weapons isn't the problem, it's their strength, ammo counts, ease of use, etc. Nothing wrong with some unique, niche weapons on the map but if they are all easy as shit and last forever then we have problems.

This. The quantity of power weapons isn't the problem, it's their strength, ammo counts, ease of use, etc. Nothing wrong with some unique, niche weapons on the map but if they are all easy as shit and last forever then we have problems.

The quantity is certainly part of the problem. There needs to be a realistic limit on the number of weapons upgrades, especially power weapons, no matter how well they are balanced or thoughtfully placed on the map.

There being too many, and being too strong are both problems.

In Slayer? the spawn system. 8 seconds is more than enough time to figure out where the other team is spawning and begin collapsing on them, maintaining a numbers advantage and racking up kills in the process. Teams that do this well enough consistently win slayers in Halo 5, and the only map this isn't entirely true on (Eden) just happens to be the one with the most power weapons.

In OBJ, we've never really needed a ton of extra movement incentive.

But what incentive is there that tempts the winning team to lose their advantage? You are actually just describing how teams snowball. What's the point of having a 50 kill limit if we only reward the team that wins the initial push with the incentive of collapsing on spawns? All things even, the only chance the other team has is to wait for a mistake. I could see how certain pro's might like that meta, but as a spectator I sure don't want to watch it.

I'd rather a situation where the winning team is prevented from collapsing on spawns, and the only way to do that is to give them something else to do. And while we're at it, why not give them two something elses to do? Then they have a choice to make, and that's what the game fun to play and interesting to watch.

• Downvote (-1) 1

But what incentive is there that tempts the winning team to lose their advantage? You are actually just describing how teams snowball. What's the point of having a 50 kill limit if we only reward the team that wins the initial push with the incentive of collapsing on spawns? All things even, the only chance the other team has is to wait for a mistake. I could see how certain pro's might like that meta, but as a spectator I sure don't want to watch it.

I'd rather a situation where the winning team is prevented from collapsing on spawns, and the only way to do that is to give them something else to do. And while we're at it, why not give them two something elses to do? Then they have a choice to make, and that's what the game fun to play and interesting to watch.

No one is saying to remove all the power weapons. Merely that you don't need 3-4 important pick-ups on every map. Movement, for the first time in the history of Halo games, is inherently rewarded by the flow of a Slayer game due to the ability to effectively collapse spawns, and doesn't need to be propped up with power weapons and power-ups spawning every 60 seconds. With the way H5 plays at a high level, players will be collapsing on spawners, and the difference is whether or not the winning team has Rockets and Shotgun while they do it.

The problem isn't that there aren't enough power weapons. It's that they are placed in positions where a team doesn't have to go out of their way for them and they often last long enough that they are still in play when the next power weapon is coming up. Snowballing is snowballing whether it's CE and you are using Rockets to secure OS/Camo or it's H5 and you are collapsing on spawns.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The quantity is certainly part of the problem. There needs to be a realistic limit on the number of weapons upgrades, especially power weapons, no matter how well they are balanced or thoughtfully placed on the map.

Quantity is only a problem because of their strength. Construct, Pit, Lockout, Narrows, Beaver Creek and more all had 3-4+ power items but their strength and skill requirement were much more intensive than Halo 5's power items.

Not denying we need some tuning but I'd prefer a high quantity of skillful weapons over a low quantity of Halo 5's weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i think the strength and range of autos irritates me the most. ars, storm rifles, and even smgs have incredible power and accuracy at mid range. id love to see the smg limited to close range and have the ar nerfed to make a a shield popping weapon. then it would make more sense to have it as a starting secondary if it must stay in the game

While we're talking about the magnum getting shit on by every weapon on the map, can we discuss, uh, BUFFING THE MAGNUM? Swap the garbage H5 Magnum and Sniper for functionally identical copies of their CE counterparts and the game would be way better.

• Upvote (+1) 6

While we're talking about the magnum getting shit on by every weapon on the map, can we discuss, uh, BUFFING THE MAGNUM? Swap the garbage H5 Magnum and Sniper for functionally identical copies of their CE counterparts and the game would be way better.

The only reason this isn't my first instinct is because someone at 343 seems to be swapping the word "stronger" with the word "easier" when they are asked to make balance changes.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The only reason this isn't my first instinct is because someone at 343 seems to be swapping the word "stronger" with the word "easier" when they are asked to make balance changes.

I would prefer to forget about the Halo One Pistol, thank you very much.

Winter Arena T8 Test Settings Changes

Regret

• Plasma Caster ammo reduced by (1) clip

Truth

• Grenade Launcher removed
  • Energy Sword Moved to Top Mid
  • Plasma Pistol added Car 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'm still of the opinion, despite that dank Midship nostalgia, that Plasma Pistol and Energy Sword should be swapped. Doing so would avoid having Plasma Pistol so easily rotated to a Bubble (insane combo) and having the Sword so easy to push into a base with to start a fast flag run.

I hope to get my hands on some 8s to see how it feels currently though.

Regret

Truth

Super meh on this. Reduced Caster Ammo on Regret is good, but on Truth: GL top mid I liked, Sword Car 1 I liked, and Combo doesn't really need to exist on Truth (but if it must be, its old location makes the most sense to me).

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Super meh on this. Reduced Caster Ammo on Regret is good, but on Truth: GL top mid I liked, Sword Car 1 I liked, and Combo doesn't really need to exist on Truth (but if it must be, its old location makes the most sense to me).

Grenade Launcher is mad easy to use (I've heard most pros dislike it), but its being removed from both maps because there is a bug where the charge shot falls through geometry. Won't be appearing until that is fixed.

Sword Car 1 is great and I don't mind the Plasma Pistol on Truth, and I think the empty spot thats left Top Mid would be suitable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Regret

Truth

Good on them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Grenade Launcher is mad easy to use (I've heard most pros dislike it), but its being removed from both maps because there is a bug where the charge shot falls through geometry. Won't be appearing until that is fixed.

Sword Car 1 is great and I don't mind the Plasma Pistol on Truth, and I think the empty spot thats left Top Mid would be suitable.

I don't mind it on Truth either, but there's no real reason for it to be there. But yeah, if the consensus is that GL is too easy (who would have guessed) your layout would be the next best thing I think.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't mind it on Truth either, but there's no real reason for it to be there. But yeah, if the consensus is that GL is too easy (who would have guessed) your layout would be the next best thing I think.

Its frustrating how every weapon is so easy. Like they think that the movement mechanics make it significantly harder to hit shots.

1. They dont

2. Lower tiered players dont take full advantage of them anyway.

3. High level players dont need "help" making difficult shots.

Fast strafe accel. makes hitting shots harder than any of the new mechanics. Stop making default weapons easy, save that for req variants.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Quantity is only a problem because of their strength. Construct, Pit, Lockout, Narrows, Beaver Creek and more all had 3-4+ power items but their strength and skill requirement were much more intensive than Halo 5's power items.

Not denying we need some tuning but I'd prefer a high quantity of skillful weapons over a low quantity of Halo 5's weapons.

Yeah youre totally right. When i said PW i meant anything that would appear on a weapon pad given their current level of difficulty. Im assuming at this point that no significant weapon balancing is going to take place sadly. Could have been clearer on that.

Sry mobile, no multiquote

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one is saying to remove all the power weapons. Merely that you don't need 3-4 important pick-ups on every map. Movement, for the first time in the history of Halo games, is inherently rewarded by the flow of a Slayer game due to the ability to effectively collapse spawns, and doesn't need to be propped up with power weapons and power-ups spawning every 60 seconds. With the way H5 plays at a high level, players will be collapsing on spawners, and the difference is whether or not the winning team has Rockets and Shotgun while they do it.

The problem isn't that there aren't enough power weapons. It's that they are placed in positions where a team doesn't have to go out of their way for them and they often last long enough that they are still in play when the next power weapon is coming up. Snowballing is snowballing whether it's CE and you are using Rockets to secure OS/Camo or it's H5 and you are collapsing on spawns.

Okay. I misunderstood the discussion then. And I agree to a point. I'm all for changing weapon locations and reducing ammo in many cases. Too many maps have weapons in positions that reward the team that is set up, when they should be forcing the winning team to give up their position.

(I will say I prefer the snow balling of CE to that of H5, but i guess that's subjective.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Winter Arena Settings – Test #9 Variants

All changes from T6-8 can be found here. This list is a compilation of changes to those existing test maps.

Plaza

• 2x Splinters Removed from Cafe Window
  • 1x Splinter added to Yard Elevator (Slayer)
  • 1x Splinter added to Cinema Loft
  • 2x Frag Grenades added to Posters
  • Eastgate Battle Rifle Removed
  • Hotel Plasma Grenades moved to Cafe Window
  • Tram Plasma Grenades moved to Tram Loop

Coliseum

• Scattershot replaced with Silenced Assault Rifle

Mercy

• Top Mid Stronghold size reduced
  • Halo 2 Beam Rifle Removed (Strongholds)
  • Hydra added Open Ramp (Strongholds)

Regret

• No known changes

The Rig

• Sniper Rifle moved to Nest (Slayer)
  • Scattershot moved to Barrels/Yellow Corner
  • Needler moved to Basement
  • Open Field Plasma Grenades moved to Back Rail
  • 2x Frag Grenades added to old Plasma Grenade Location
  • Basement Splinter Quantity reduced from 2 -> 1
  • Railgun replaces SPNKr Rockets, moved to the "Square" next to old Sniper Spawn (Strongholds)

Eden

• Blue Nest Barrels repositioned
  • Red Splinters reduced from 2 -> 1
  • Blue Splinters reduced from 2 -> 1

Fathom

• Currently unavailable

Empire

• Forgot to mention this in my original post, but the Red/Blue Platform Barrels have been removed
  • No new changes

Truth

• Grenade Launcher Removed
  • Energy Sword moved Top Mid
  • Plasma Pistol re-added Carbine 1

To discuss

--

Edit: My first piece of feedback is that Scatter removal on Coliseum is a good movement to trim the power weapon count, but I think it would be a smart move to swap Brute Plasma Rifle with the AR to keep a decent CQC weapon in the Bottom Mid deficit position. Silenced AR is going to make Trench a super dead zone and will make OE's super weak, and rewarding Snipe Tower control with BPR, BR, AND Snipe is a bit absurd.

A swap would be pretty healthy.

Whats up everyone, Just putting in some input i have been thinking about and looking into. Two of the biggest changes to competitive settings since H3 to H5 have been adding Radar and using the Pistol instead of BR start. BR start allows for teams to actually be able to control the map with decent set ups and punish teams for making mistakes. On the other side, being pushed back into your base with having BR starts you can actually setup with your team. Get a couple picks and push out with your team. Unlike the settings now, once a team gets the BR / Carbine ( on Truth) at least it makes it almost impossible to push out with out getting murdered. The pistol in my eyes is not as strong as the BR / Carbine and you are almost always going to loose that fight. Having BR start would change the flow of the games and allow for proper set ups. I don't mind the pistol either, not hating or disliking the weapon. Just some of the things i have noticed.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3