CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Getting nervous about the new "settings." Evidently the maps in Ghost's file share just have the classic 343 move some weapons and grenades around. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

CC: @@Bxrz

The Railgun and SPNKr are actually pretty interchangeable IMO. Looks like they wanted to maintain a power weapon presence on The Rig while reducing snowball potential. If you think the Railgun is more balanced, share your feedback!

SPNKR is barely stronger than Hydra. I strongly dislike its presence on any map because its slow projectile speed makes it unworthy of a 2 minute timer in a game with H5's kill times. Would rather see GL/Sentinel/Normal Rockets/Rail/Even a damn Void's Tear

• Upvote (+1) 4

SPNKR is barely stronger than Hydra. I strongly dislike its presence on any map because its slow projectile speed makes it unworthy of a 2 minute timer in a game with H5's kill times. Would rather see GL/Sentinel/Normal Rockets/Rail/Even a damn Void's Tear

Sentinel Beam on Rig Strongholds would be pretty  :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sentinel Beam on Rig Strongholds would be pretty  :fire:

Agreed. GL too, though it may be a bit weak for that position.

Well the cats out of the bag

-----------------------------------------

HCS Winter Arena Changes (IN TESTING)

Unless stated otherwise, all other weapons/items remain in their current Fall Season locations

In case you don't know Tier 2 = only one per map. All Storm Rifles are now Tier 2.

Coliseum

• 1x Splinter Grenade Added Bottom Mid (Total Map Splinters: 3)
  • Removed Pyramid/Steps Splinter Grenades

Regret

• Scattershot replaced with Storm Rifle (Tunnel, Tier 2)
  • ALL Splinter Grenades REMOVED
  • Silenced Assault Rifle added Pink 1

Empire

• SAW Removed
  • Slayer/CTF/Stronghold layouts unified
  • SMGs Removed
  • Active Camo added Tower 2 (behind Barrels)
  • Silenced AR added Tower 1
  • Battle Rifle added Tower 3
  • ALL Splinter Grenades Removed
  • 1x Plasma Grenade aded to Red/Blue Sneaky
  • Slayer and/or CTF being tested, Strongholds currently unknown

Truth

• Pink 2 Battle Rifle Removed
  • Hydra Removed
  • Fuel Rod Removed
  • Red/Blue Storm Rifles Removed
  • Plasma Pistol Removed
  • Top Mid Splinters Removed
  • Battle Rifles added to Red/Blue 1 (Back of Base)
  • Storm Rifle added Bottom Mid (Tier 2)
  • Grenade Launcher placed Top Mid (Tier 3, Two Minute Timer)

The Rig

• SMG moved to Bottom Nest (FUCK. YEAH!)
  • Trench Splinters removed
  • Grenade Launcher replaces Plasma Caster
  • Scattershot replaces Shotgun
  • Needler replaces Song of Peace Suppressor
  • (Strongholds) SPNKr Rockets replace Railgun

Plaza

• ALL Splinters Removed (Top Orange, S4/Cinema Loft, Flower Bridge, U-Turn)
  • 2x Splinters Added Cafe Window
  • Storm Rifle moved back to Bottom Mid (Tier 2)
  • 2x Plasmas moved to Tram
  • 2x Plasmas moved to between Hotel & Dip
  • Un-silenced the SMG
  • Hotel Battle Rifle moved to Cafe
  • Battle Rifle added to Eastgate (Between Hotel & Lift)

Fathom

• Storm Rifles removed
  • Removed all Splinters (Treehouse & Porch)
  • 1x Splinter added to each old Storm Location (Red/Blue Sub)
  • Silenced Assault Rifle added to Treehouses (old Splinter cubby)
  • Flag Spawns moved closer to Generator
  • (Potential respawn point changes, I didn’t investigate spawns. This goes for other maps as well)

Eden

• Sniper moved slightly away from Blue Barrels
  • Shotgun replaced with Silenced Assault Rifle

Mercy

• Now in testing! Strongholds definitely, Slayer possibly
  • Storm Rifle converted to Tier 2
  • Gravity Hammer removed

Misc.

• Stasis likely removed
  • Entire gametype selections unknown
  • Assault: Unknown, but possible

My thoughts, @@GH057ayame and @@Deez

Empire

• Removal of SMGs is baller and will help Slayer/CTF
  • Camo/OS is a cool dynamic and will universally improve all modes
  • I think the Tower side is a bit rifle-heavy, but the DMRs don't have a super big impact on the game as a whole. BR Tower 3 should be approached delicately. I was always a big fan of one DMR Tower 3 but if there are requirements in terms of the minimum amount of weapons per map, this current layout is tolerable.
  • I'll give it a fair shot in a test playlist, but I'm concerned about how hectic this map will be when paired with Slayer and CTF. No comments until I get my hands on it.

Eden

• Shotgun removal will make things less snowbally and will allow for more setup breaks through Security, which is great.
  • Please, please, please bring back the old powerup locations. They created one of my favorite metagames in Halo to date and the current locations are more conducive for burns and less interesting gameplay. If you are afraid of imbalanced breakouts, then delay their spawn by 1-2 minutes. Otherwise, just bring back classic Eden Strongholds!

Fathom

• Storm and Splinter reduction is great, that goes without saying.
  • Silenced ARs aren't going to hurt anyone
  • Flag repositioning is great, and alongside new spawns this could bring new life to Fathom CTF. I look forward to testing

Coliseum

• No complaints, Coliseum has always had a solid map layout and splinter reduction is obviously a positive. Maybe re-evaluate the Carbine's descope potential but still solid across the board.

Plaza

• Hotel -> Cafe BR is phenomenal
  • Eastgate BR is an interesting concept and will certainly help spawners push from Hotel to break Cinema, but that brings the Battle Rifle count up to 3 which starts to skate on thin ice in terms of gunfight balances but I have confidence that this is still a decent addition considering its distant positioning.
  • Storm Rifle Bottom Mid is cool but maybe move it to Bottom Dip or U-Turn to make it a bit less "free" for people in Bottom Mid team fights
  • New grenade locations are solid, I like the idea of Splinters in Cafe window to block off favorable OS pushes from Cinema or lock down Cinema Loft, but they might be a bit too "free". Maybe split them up? One in Cafe Window, one Bottom Dip/UTurn? Deficit positions like Fathom's subs are a bit more balanced for Splinters
  • Quinn/Arena guys had the right idea by buffing Tram, but Storm Rifle was absolutely the wrong way to go. The new Plasma Grenades could definitely help this location in Slayer stalemates but a Tram spawn trap could be pretty brutal without any tools other than the Yard BR/SMG. Explore solutions to help this location.
  • I'm still not a fan of the equidistant powerups, but moving them would require drastic reformatting of other items so I guess they are cool in their current spot
  • Giving Yard two free Tier 2 weapons in Strongholds is also a bit wonky. Consider new solutions for Shotgun/Plasma Pistol (maybe just disable PP in Strongholds? I enjoy it in Yard on Slayer)

The Rig

giphy.gif

(maybe reduce Grenade Launcher ammo though)

Truth

• Battle Rifles are perfect (also dat Midship nostalgia!)
  • Nerfing P2 is pretty cool and I don't think it will affect Truth's current meta too badly. Good stuff!
  • Storm Rifle bottom mid is also good. I'd prefer BPR's over Storms across the board but for what the Storm Rifle is, this position works and Tier 2 is a bonus.
  • Plasma Caster was more of an afterthought in the Vanilla Truth, and the focus of gameplay remained on map control and positioning, which was great. I don't think any item Top Mid should be a vital part of Truth considering how advantageous the Towers are. While the Grenade Launcher is (theoretically) weaker than the Fuel Rod, I would much rather nothing, or a weaker item top mid. I will say that there was a Plasma Pistol in the earlier phases of the Truth test variants, and I thought that would be a perfect fit for the map's flow.

Mercy

• The SAW needs to go on Slayer for almost anything else. Plasma Caster, Sentinel Beam, Grenade Launcher, and more could be a potential replacement.
  • I also think that Slayer on this map screams for a Camo. Either replacing the SAW with an Active Camo or throwing one Bottom Mid would introduce a lot of cool flanking elements to this map because of its vertical design.
  • Strongholds layout is cool, I'd like to get my hands on it more frequently.

Regret

• Solid stuff
  • Upvote (+1) 3

The he point of spnkr rockets is that they're slower and less dominant. Saying that as a negative misses the point. The rail on that map is overpowering. It's why they tried sniper before too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The he point of spnkr rockets is that they're slower and less dominant. Saying that as a negative misses the point. The rail on that map is overpowering. It's why they tried sniper before too.

The problem with the rail being OP has always been (in order)

2) There is too much ammo. remove 2 or 3 shots from it.

1) its a little too easy to use.  Especially considering you have to charge it to fire it, sweeping and firing like the sniper back in H2 works way too well.

I just think that the slow ass projectile of the SPNKr rockets is not good.  Either speed up the projectile, or use the standard rockets.  I think Rail is better on this map with reduced ammo anyway.

Overall these settings changes are great.  I have been asking for the SR to be reclassified as a Tier 2 weapon since 2 weeks after launch, so to see that is great even if it took longer than I feel it should have.

overall reduction of pickups is good.

People need to chill about radar for a hot minute.  It sucks that is hasn't been announced that its being removed, but lets be grateful for what we have.

If this update were to have a surprise of removing the AR as a starting weapon that would be amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

People need to chill about radar for a hot minute.  It sucks that is hasn't been announced that its being removed, but lets be grateful for what we have.

Radar has been an issue since day 1 there's no reason to be chill about it.  The changes to the maps are great but that's no reason to let up on the issues radar brings to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Regret is perfect. Even less splinters on coli would make it perfect. No fuel rod on Truth is amazing. Good stuff.

Radar has been an issue since day 1 there's no reason to be chill about it.  The changes to the maps are great but that's no reason to let up on the issues radar brings to the game.

Ehh you're right.  I should have worded that differently.  I mainly meant that we shouldn't just skip over the good stuff (most people aren't, but some are) and get straight to yelling for no radar again.  We should still push for No Radar and quickly, I just dont want to see all the positives dismissed is all.

A couple random settings thoughts:

Get rid of spartan charge

Get rid of AR secondary

I feel like those are things that we could do immediately and have been mentioned before.  WHy not?

• Upvote (+1) 1

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

That date.... Sigh.....

• Upvote (+1) 4

Copying this to the settings discussion as t is more relevant here.

I really hope we get severely reduced power weapons on maps. Especially for slayers you don't need snipe, rockets, scatter/shotgun, overshield/camo, etc. Every time I play Coliseum slayer it seems like the winning team is the team who gets the first rotation of snipe/rockets. After that as long as you don't all die in a dumb push you get free power weapons for the rest of the game.

Many factors contribute to snowballing in Halo 5 and I think it could be just as easily argued that tier 3 power weapons and power ups need to be MORE FREQUENT.

A weak utility and radar both work as crutches for the team that is set up. This is obvious to me, but if you'd like more detail I'll happily provide.

Also if Snipe was nerfed (maybe just reduced ammo even) and came up as frequently as rockets, every time weapons came up teams would be forced to choose which weapon to set up for or risk spliting their attention.

The more top power items that spawn, the more often the underdog has a chance to take back the advantage, especially when multiple items spawn simultaneously.

As long as radar and the magnum are a thing, and ANY weapon spawns on the map (even just BRs), the team that wins the initial push has a heavy advantage. Reducing the number of weapons to anything above ZERO, will maintain this effect.

I have no problem with having a single map that comes down to gun skill to appease fans of that type of halo, but power items are the movement incentive of this game, and ultimately what allows a losing team to come back. Imho, to say otherwise is to fundamentally misunderstand halo.

The fewer weapons the fewer reasons a setup team has to leave powerful map positions.

I'd rather have more weapons away from power positions spawning frequently and simultaneously through staggered timers. And I honestly don't see why at least one powerup isn't on every map in a weak location.

Let the unpopular opinion negs flow.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I said this in the HWC thread, but thought it should be here too:

Remove Radar AND

Disable spartan charge

increase objective respawn to 10 seconds (without radar i'm not worried about there being more blowout stronghold wins since the pushing team can be more creative with their pushes)

Remove AR secondary

Edit: 2 rifle pickups max per map.

1 PW max

1 PU max

INCREASE RESPAWN TIME FOR TIER 1 WEAPONS SIGNIFICANTLY.

I really think the obj respawn time needs to be tried. especially with concerns about no radar being "too chaotic"

• Upvote (+1) 2

I said this in the HWC thread, but thought it should be here too:

Remove Radar AND

Disable spartan charge

increase objective respawn to 10 seconds (without radar i'm not worried about there being more blowout stronghold wins since the pushing team can be more creative with their pushes)

Remove AR secondary

Edit: 2 rifle pickups max per map.

1 PW max

1 PU max

INCREASE RESPAWN TIME FOR TIER 1 WEAPONS SIGNIFICANTLY.

I really think the obj respawn time needs to be tried. especially with concerns about no radar being "too chaotic"

Agree with this. Except for limiting PWs and Power ups.

What is going to encourage movement and conflict?

The timing and positioning of said power weapons and power ups. Put minimal items in the right places with proper timers and you don't need much at all.

In Slayer? the spawn system. 8 seconds is more than enough time to figure out where the other team is spawning and begin collapsing on them, maintaining a numbers advantage and racking up kills in the process. Teams that do this well enough consistently win slayers in Halo 5, and the only map this isn't entirely true on (Eden) just happens to be the one with the most power weapons.

In OBJ, we've never really needed a ton of extra movement incentive.