CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I posted in the incorrect thread somehow, please feel free to delete.

Edit: Which is to say, I clicked the wrong thread by accident and made an assumption like a moron.

Sword can be pretty strong on Truth with the mobility options and speed increase while wielding it. Top mid is the best place for it though, I think. Placing it top mid requires exposing yourself to get the weapon, and decent map control to get it without being killed getting back to cover.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do agree with you on the CC but how do BR and DMR have different uses (outside of SWAT where you can theoretically get a tripple with one trigger pull)? Their main difference come down to visual and audio (single shot vs. burst) but I don't see those weapons occupying a unique niche.

I'm not saying that their realistic uses aren't incredibly similar because obviously they are.  My argument is that blowing up the entire sandbox is totally unnecessary and really something that should be relegated to Halo 6.  Trying to do anything with the weapons other than tweaks is a non-starter and we need to be pragmatic about it.

Literally just reducing the bullet mag so that the center of the reticule needs to be on someones head to get a headshot instead of just any part of the reticle would give the weapons more of a niche across the board.  Doing something tiny like decreasing the burst speed by 10% (of the 3 bullets, not the time between trigger pulls) would make a difference too.  That would make the gun harder to use and make the DMR the preferred choice for longer ranges.  Little things can improve the sandbox immensely.

People are way too eager to just "start over" and don't seem to realize that a very small change in a bunch of well thought out places can make a big impact on the overall game.  People are also not pragmatic at all.  They suggest these huge, sweeping changes that really just clutter up a thread that is intended to suggest things that we can do right now to improve the competitive state of Halo 5.

We have to balance idealism with pragmatism. Whats more realistic with the timeframe we are talking about? making a couple tweaks to the BR to define its niche a little more, or discarding the weapon entirely and inventing a new, unique weapon?

• Upvote (+1) 4

We have to balance idealism with pragmatism. Whats more realistic with the timeframe we are talking about? making a couple tweaks to the BR to define its niche a little more, or discarding the weapon entirely and inventing a new, unique weapon?

I think most people have already given up on a meaningful H5 sandbox update and are just giving suggestions for the H6 sandbox. It's been over a year of 343 ignoring the OP autos, I don't think the sandbox is going to change anytime soon.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not saying that their realistic uses aren't incredibly similar because obviously they are. My argument is that blowing up the entire sandbox is totally unnecessary and really something that should be relegated to Halo 6. Trying to do anything with the weapons other than tweaks is a non-starter and we need to be pragmatic about it.

Literally just reducing the bullet mag so that the center of the reticule needs to be on someones head to get a headshot instead of just any part of the reticle would give the weapons more of a niche across the board. Doing something tiny like decreasing the burst speed by 10% (of the 3 bullets, not the time between trigger pulls) would make a difference too. That would make the gun harder to use and make the DMR the preferred choice for longer ranges. Little things can improve the sandbox immensely.

People are way too eager to just "start over" and don't seem to realize that a very small change in a bunch of well thought out places can make a big impact on the overall game. People are also not pragmatic at all. They suggest these huge, sweeping changes that really just clutter up a thread that is intended to suggest things that we can do right now to improve the competitive state of Halo 5.

There's no need to invent a new weapon, though. All 343 has to do is remove the clutter and keep the magnum and LR. I fail to see how making the other precision rifles more difficult will give them a purpose. They're either going to be a straight upgrade to the magnum (which they are right now) or you can increase their difficulty, in which case they won't be worth picking up anymore. There really is no in-between.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Grenade launcher for every map ever made

I remember @@Sitri saying it's a lot easier to use in Halo 5 (bigger splash radius). 

Are we all ok with that? 

I remember @@Sitri saying it's a lot easier to use in Halo 5 (bigger splash radius).

Are we all ok with that?

It's still the best weapon in this game

Are we all ok with that?

Everything is easier to use in Halo 5. So yeah.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Even if the grenade launcher is "easier" to use, it should still be a mainstay on most maps/gametypes solely because it is a single shot weapon and can't be spammed to pick up a kill. I could see the caster sticking around (unintended pun) just because 343 likes a little more variety across maps, but the grenade launcher is a good candidate to replace the fuel rod and caster in most situations.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Are we all ok with that? 

I kind of disagree; base movement speed is roughly 25% faster in H5, directional change is faster, and thrust allows immediate evasion.

The overall blast radius does feel a bit bigger, but personally I've felt that the radius for a perfect kill is a little smaller.

Maybe it's just not being fully used to it in H5 yet, but I think that even if the weapon was buffed slightly the player mobility in H5 more than outweighs that.

Grenade Launcher in Halo 5 is so easy to use it is unreal. The weapon's concept is undoubtedly awesome, but I can't say with confidence that it is more skill reliant or difficult than the Plasma Caster, or even the Fuel. Seriously, load it up on Truth and play some games with someone else. Both its single shot and charged shot kill within such a large radius, your only option to escape it is a thrust forward but the travel speed is absurd compared to a Rocket or Plasma Caster that you have to have ridiculous reaction times to combat it.

Being single shot helps, but at the end of the day I'm not sure anything belongs Top Mid on Truth. The movement to push Sword up their is a pretty straight forward one, but you have to remember that the Sword now provides a different utility in the form of the movement increase. I think this is a really cool dynamic to have, but the reason it is placed on Car is because grabbing it from Top Mid, thrusting into Flag, and getting an instant run through Pink would be far too easy. If we were to move one of the Car Tower weapons up to Top Mid, I'd choose Plasma Pistol. It'd be difficult to EMP people in the Towers and Bases because one Thrust would cause the tracking to lead it into a wall.

Shekkles' idea of the only Splinters being Top Mid is also a notable suggestion.

As for Rig, I could see Grenade Launcher being a better pick than Plasma Caster just because the Single Shot will be more punishing due to the way the map is set up. Can't say I want it on Truth though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Have we talked about how we can now make our own gametypes? We have Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, Strongholds, and now maybe KotH, but we have an opportunity now to actually develop our own competitive gametype with the changes to forge and settings. We could create an assault gametype, or a whole new gametype. I don't know if anybody had ever drawn up an idea for a competitive gametype that wasn't possible to create until now, but we could do that.

@@TiberiusAudley have you thought of anything? Maybe something from a past arena shooter that would work well for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have we talked about how we can now make our own gametypes? We have Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, Strongholds, and now maybe KotH, but we have an opportunity now to actually develop our own competitive gametype with the changes to forge and settings. We could create an assault gametype, or a whole new gametype. I don't know if anybody had ever drawn up an idea for a competitive gametype that wasn't possible to create until now, but we could do that.

@@TiberiusAudley have you thought of anything? Maybe something from a past arena shooter that would work well for Halo.

Not new, but someone make Extraction ASAP.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was testing the Grenade Launcher in customs and it doesn't seem much more powerful than in Reach.....

Gametype scripting is pretty difficult to grasp, and it seems that the ones who do understand it are more focused on making more "fun" gametypes like Invasion.

I think new gametypes could be fun, but for competitive I would definitely make the priority getting the classic gametypes working 100% first.

We still don't have Oddball and hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm for Assault.

I want to see Flag, Oddball, Assault and Strongholds in competitive.  Honestly if they axed slayer entirely I would be ok with that.

I think new gametypes could be fun, but for competitive I would definitely make the priority getting the classic gametypes working 100% first.

We still don't have Oddball and hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm for Assault.

I want to see Flag, Oddball, Assault and Strongholds in competitive.  Honestly if they axed slayer entirely I would be ok with that.

What's wrong with the current Oddball we can make based on Assault? I know that it needs spawns to be set up differently than Assault, but you wouldn't want to play Ball on the same maps you play Bomb anyway.

Someone made Warpath from Doom, that could be a pretty cool comp gamemmode. For those unaware: think KoTH meets payload.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are we all ok with that? 

Kind of needs to be considering we were tanks in Reach. If they just directly ported over the reach launcher it wouldn't be powerful enough what with people thrusting, slide boosting and sprinting all over the place. Hell, even the BMS is seemingly much faster in 5 compared to Reach.

The grenade launcher isn't THAT much more powerful, and either way, it's better than the plasma caster since you can't just look down at the floor and spam it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would assume that they will have to announce the new settings soon right? I mean especially if the changes are rather significant like it seems like they might be. People need to start practicing. The first event is in about a month. 

@@Deez, have the Sandbox team thought about giving weapons secondary uses/empowering individuals?

A big problem with the Sandbox is the redundancy of weapons. Storm Rifle is a buffed AR, same with the Brute. BR/DMR are just stronger Pistols.

I think a good idea to make Halo more interesting to watch/play is to make guns more interesting. Imagine if the Brute was just like the Halo 1 PR where it slowed down players and made it so they couldn't turn either, maybe also causing an EMP effect that disabled Spartan Abilities for a duration of time?

I love this idea. On the same hand, would making the pistol and BR the same ttk be essential? The only edge the BR/DMR would have over the pistol is its zooming which I would be fine with. Still has a niche but keeps it from actually being stronger. Still like pistol starts though as it keeps the Sniper more as a significant power weapon. BR starts would decrease the effectiveness of the Sniper as a power weapon.

Sentinel Beam for HCS ASAP. That gun is a godsend in a sandbox that has largely received little viable niche weapons since launch.

• Upvote (+1) 4