CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

The Endgame is ridiculous lol. I still remember the game where I was standing on top mid of Port 66 just sweeping the laser and getting double kills lol! It's a cool weapon and fun to use, but it's pretty OP.

The Railgun was slightly annoying when the game came out, and then they buffed it and made it hitscan, and that's when the problems ensued; not to mention the splash damage on it as well.

If there's any changes that I think can be improved to the railgun, it's changing it back projectile. I'd personally remove the splash damage on it too, but that's just something I have a personal gripe about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Endgame is ridiculous lol. I still remember the game where I was standing on top mid of Port 66 just sweeping the laser and getting double kills lol! It's a cool weapon, but it's pretty OP.

The Railgun was slightly annoying when the game came out, and then they buffed it and made it hitscan, and that's when the problems ensued; not to mention the splash damage on it as well.

If there's any changes that I think can be improved to the railgun, it's changing it back projectile. I'd personally remove the splash damage on it too, but that's just something I have a personal gripe about.

Since halo 4 I've always thought the railgun would be a badass weapon if the rail was a slow moving projectile. Like 2x the speed of a rocket so you'd have to lead it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Since halo 4 I've always thought the railgun would be a badass weapon if the rail was a slow moving projectile. Like 2x the speed of a rocket so you'd have to lead it.

That's an interesting idea. I'd have to gauge the speed/practicality of that in-game to see how it would actually feel, but interesting concept nonetheless.

Good stuff on Fathom. Glad to see that we are aligned on spawning being the primary contributor. We'll look into that and try to have some tests ready soon. Also, thanks for the unsolicited feedback on weapon placement. Are there any other thoughts around the current weapons? Should there be different weapons? Move locations of weapons? etc

Thanks.

I would look into placing some tac magnums on the map in place of some rifles. Preferably the BR's. It's an out there request but it would go a long way. Less weapons on the moas would be very beneficial as well. As of now there are just so many weapons on the map that are all better than your starting weapons. Are you talking only Fathom? If so I would honestly look into maybe swapping the rail out for rockets. It's worth a shot, the rail is just nuts. Also splinters in the treehouse should probably be removed.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Good stuff on Fathom. Glad to see that we are aligned on spawning being the primary contributor. We'll look into that and try to have some tests ready soon. Also, thanks for the unsolicited feedback on weapon placement. Are there any other thoughts around the current weapons? Should there be different weapons? Move locations of weapons? etc

Thanks.

In a map with as many tight corridors as Fathom it's probably worth staying away from explosive weapons and splinters, it's easy to see how easily the map movement can be brought to a halt.

I'd keep any autos/close quarters weapons away from the tree houses as whoever locks down the tree house first and grabs the auto will probably keep control. Which is snowbally. Might be worth putting the autos near either pool.

Remove any BR's. Light Rifles are unique enough to fill the roll of long range pressure weapons. Losing a fight to a BR when you have a pistol is frustrating because the BR is straight up better and out ranges most weapons. Less of them will probably help people push up more from the base.

A hydra would have a lot of play space in a map like fathom if that's what you find interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would look into placing some tac magnums on the map in place of some rifles. Preferably the BR's. It's an out there request but it would go a long way. Less weapons on the moas would be very beneficial as well. As of now there are just so many weapons on the map that are all better than your starting weapons. Are you talking only Fathom? If so I would honestly look into maybe swapping the rail out for rockets. It's worth a shot, the rail is just nuts. Also splinters in the treehouse should probably be removed.

I think the Tac Magnum would be a better replacement for SMGs, specifically maps that have more than one. It fills a similar role, quick kills at close range, but takes much more precision to use effectively.

Empowering the individual = starting them with an easier gun that doesn't even kill faster? If it is truly about that then you should be asking for 4sk pistol or even LR starts.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Well if you're gonna ask 343 for patches then why not just ask for them to tweak the Halo One Pistol to tone down that ridiculous hitbox and use that as the starting weapon?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thanks.

Remove and replace storm rifles. They aren't very skilled weapons and tend to auto win close encounters. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well if you're gonna ask 343 for patches then why not just ask for them to tweak the Halo One Pistol to tone down that ridiculous hitbox and use that as the starting weapon?

You can make the Magnum 4sk with minimal impact on the rest of the sandbox (aside from the BR, which is redundant anyway) by tweaking health and shields in custom settings. No patch necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You can make the Magnum 4sk with minimal impact on the rest of the sandbox (aside from the BR, which is redundant anyway) by tweaking health and shields in custom settings. No patch necessary.

Didn't they already try that and it broke the sniper or something?

Even then though, there's still the problem of the H5 magnum being an unwieldy piece of crap in close quarters, yet still not having enough range, especially combined with sprintslideclamberthrust.

I like the Halo One Pistol idea more. I know it won't ever happen though, because reasons and something something punishment something.

Didn't they already try that and it broke the sniper or something?

Even then though, there's still the problem of the H5 magnum being an unwieldy piece of crap in close quarters, yet still not having enough range, especially combined with sprintslideclamberthrust.

I like the Halo One Pistol idea more. I know it won't ever happen though, because reasons and something something punishment something.

The only weapon I am aware of that it breaks is the BR (it becomes a 3sk), which is collateral damage I am completely fine with. The CQC unwieldiness is mostly a matter of the aiming problems + thrust, IMO. As for the range, I honestly agree, which is why I would prefer the Tactical Magnum, which on top of the 2x zoom also has the classic Halo scope that isn't hideous. Unfortunately, you can't set that as a starting weapon. 

One easy step at a time, though. Making the Magnum a 4sk with custom settings is the easiest weapon balance improvement available.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think the Tac Magnum would be a better replacement for SMGs, specifically maps that have more than one. It fills a similar role, quick kills at close range, but takes much more precision to use effectively.

Do you mean the Gunfighter magnum?  Tactical magnum is the same as the regular one, just with a silencer and a different scope. It's no better at close range than the default one.

Thanks.

I think the current approach to weapon placements on Halo 5 maps is a bit haphazard. Aside from my opinions regarding the weapon spawning systemI think a big issue is that it seems as if the designers of the map layouts were too "eager" to place weapons as frequently as possible. I think more often than not, toning down the potency of weapons on each map would greatly improve gameplay and increase consistency. Not only does it increase the importance of the remaining on map weapons, but it emphasizes more balanced gunfights as well. Weapons should be delicately placed in areas that are meaningful, you shouldn't fill a symmetric base with weapons unless it is in need of them or they would serve a purpose on the map. Most weapons should be earned in some way through positional sacrifice or movement: earning the Battle Rifle by taking over P2 or sacrificing positioning to get a Storm Rifle low on The Rig

Rifles should be placed deliberately in locations that would be in need of a range/damage buff in combat situations. For example, the Light Rifle on Eden is great in its new-ish spot because it provides an amazing tool for support players to help teammates push through Outside into Blue Bend. In fact, Eden has some of the better weapon placements in the game, in my opinion.

Automatic weapons, should be placed in deficit locations or locations that are not frequently visited, to force players to move and deliberately obtain automatics (the SMGs in each base on Empire Slayer is just a blatant random weapon that adds chaos to the map). Good examples of this are the SMGs on Coliseum. For just one other example, don't think the SMG on the Rig is in the best spot, because you can lock down Engine pretty easily with it, its in a pretty safe location. I'd consider moving it to under Nest or somewhere outside to make it a little less claustrophobic and help out the people who get hit with Nest spawns.

As a whole, I think Plaza is the only asymmetric map that needs some revisiting in terms of weapon locations, Rig's new update wasn't really better or worse, and Eden has always been decent (other than the large # of power weapons).

In terms of symmetric maps, I think reducing the amount of weapons on them is vital (CTF and symmetric Slayers have extremely fast pace) to maintain a more consistent experience, especially on maps like Regret and Coliseum.

In terms of specific weapon placements on multiple maps, theres a ton to discuss for literally every map and gametype. Things like buffing Cafe on Plaza to prevent the brutal Sniper spawn trap there, or removing Scattershot on Regret to prevent snowballing, or even replacing the Storm Rifles and/or Fuel Rod on Truth with more predictable and balanced weapons, etc.

And this obviously isn't even factoring the weapon spawn system or balance changes. I think we're almost at the point where a balance patch is more needed than ever as people are learning to abuse weapons and snowball heavily. There's stuff to say about nearly every weapon in the game, and placements are only the first layer of that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just another thing about Fathom CTF, maybe change the location of the flag/capture plate to make it harder to bum rush off silo spawn and force a stand off, this seems more viable than finding an alternative spawn point for silo, maybe also a 10 second respawn for CTF if necessary?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've said this many, many, times in the past that I think having universal 8 second spawns kind of messed with the dynamic of Halo particularly in objective games. Those 2 seconds over the course of a game (compared to 10 seconds) adds up to a significant amount of time among 4 players. The reason why I was never a fan of the 8 second spawns is that it just causes too much spamming on objectives. Strongholds (particularly Empire) is a perfect example of this and 2 seconds is a long time in Halo; especially considering the fact you can die in less than 2 seconds. I truly believe you're experiencing the same effect on Fathom CTF as well.

I've always thought 10 second spawns for objective and 5 second spawns for slayer feels just right, and before anyone says it, no it has nothing to do with nostalgia glasses.

10 seconds for objective - As I mentioned earlier, this eliminates spamming on objective which is most prevalent in Fathom CTF for example, where you are immediately able to bum rush off a spawn into an objective to either pull a flag but it also exists in other game modes like Strongholds where you are able to spawn and immediately spam grenades onto a point. There are a variety of scenarios I can describe, but I believe what I'm trying to illustrate is there. It's less punishing to have quicker spawns because the risk of properly moving as a team to capture/stop an objective is smaller. On the same token, 2 additional seconds isn't large enough to completely ruin stop attempts either with all of the movement options to get around the map quicker in this game. We've done so in games without sprint, so having sprint + thrust + slide + clamber should all the more reason to be completely honest.

5 seconds for slayer - Slayer, obviously lacking an objective for the team, needs faster spawns. The reason why they are needed are due to what you see on maps like Plaza and The Rig where you can get absolutely snowballed to death. Where the "objective" of slayer is to control areas of the map, having ample amount of time to set up is critical because these setups become so much harder to break and also allows more time for the team getting the kills to force spawns for the opponent. I literally couldn't imagine playing a game like Lockout Slayer with 8 seconds spawns. BR tower setup would literally never break. Every shooter has map setups, however you need this type of "controlled chaos" for TS in a game like Halo because the kill times are a lot longer than other shooters, therefore, breaking setups become more difficult. Having longer spawns further steps on this issue.

If I had any suggestion I would make, it's to test out settings for 5 seconds slayer, 10 seconds for objective and see how they play.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Thanks.

10 sec respawn,you mad bro,8 is long already haha.What about an objective playlist with these changes^?. Hey guys sorry if this is out of topic but @ @Deez, I(samshepardgaming)recently tweeted to you a few days ago(and to sketch,uny,grimbrother if you could implement a classic playlist called Evolved(Check this link below) where players play halo 5 on dev maps and community maps with classic halo movement based around halo 5's map and structural design.

We can already turn off abilities in customs,all you have to do is to implement these movement settings and add the evolved maps n gametypes to it monthly. Also quinn sketch wrote in a waypoint blog it may not be technically possible to do all this(we ll know it is possible if you have the will,the passion and the tools of which you do,to make this much awaited fan request happen(the fans have done it,why cant you? :). Just check out the first two pages in the following link and the other pages for peoples thoughts on it and reply to these guys that have made them and ask them how you can go about putting this playlist in mm asap.Just ask them,them would be happy to help as much as psbl. Link to halo 5 evolved beyond thread:http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14157-halo-5-evolved-settingsdetails-v2-update/

I don't know if this is the right place, but is there a possibility that FFA can be 8 players again? I just don't like how slow the current FFA is.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't know if this is the right place, but is there a possibility that FFA can be 8 players again? I just don't like how slow the current FFA is.

Only if they remove power weapons/power ups.

To stay on topic @@Deez i think Fathom needs less weapons total. I think the LR in base plus rail gun top mid again would be good changes to test. Remove the splinters in Tree and replace with stickies. Remove BR entirely or replace with buffed magnum.

The "too many easily obtainable weapons" critique applies to most maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm definitely intrigued by replacing the BR's on Fathom with either a Tactical or Gunfighter magnum. They both have their strengths, and I think it'd be interesting either way.  And I'm really liking the idea to move the flag score spot closer to generator. I think that + 10 second respawns (I've wanted that for CTF all along) would pretty much fix the gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Only if they remove power weapons/power ups.

To stay on topic @@Deez i think Fathom needs less weapons total. I think the LR in base plus rail gun top mid again would be good changes to test. Remove the splinters in Tree and replace with stickies. Remove BR entirely or replace with buffed magnum.

The "too many easily obtainable weapons" critique applies to most maps.

I'm definitely intrigued by replacing the BR's on Fathom with either a Tactical or Gunfighter magnum. They both have their strengths, and I think it'd be interesting either way.  And I'm really liking the idea to move the flag score spot closer to generator. I think that + 10 second respawns (I've wanted that for CTF all along) would pretty much fix the gametype.

I think my changelist for Fathom in order of priority would be:

• Move Flag closer to Gen
  • Move Vat spawns back or to a less favorable spot for overextensions
  • Replace Storm Rifles with Brute Plasma Rifles (more than one Storm on a map is just too much)
  • Replace Splinters in Tree House with Plasmas
  • Replace Battle Rifles with a more niche weapon (Tac Magnum? Carbine?)

If all else fails, THEN we switch the Railgun and Camo back.

Random idea, maybe move Battle Rifles (or whatever weapon is in Garage) to the old Storm Rifle locations in Treehouse? More contested and equidistant weapons are often better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think my changelist for Fathom in order of priority would be:

• Move Flag closer to Gen
  • Move Vat spawns back or to a less favorable spot for overextensions
  • Replace Storm Rifles with Brute Plasma Rifles (more than one Storm on a map is just too much)
  • Replace Splinters in Tree House with Plasmas
  • Replace Battle Rifles with a more niche weapon (Tac Magnum? Carbine?)

If all else fails, THEN we switch the Railgun and Camo back.

Random idea, maybe move Battle Rifles (or whatever weapon is in Garage) to the old Storm Rifle locations in Treehouse? More contested and equidistant weapons are often better.

I would flip your first 2 priorities there but otherwise like that list. I would love to play with 10 second respawns too but may be a non-starter for 343 idk.

I dont think BRs in the back tree spawn are great because i could see every game starting with a rush for br by each team, battle for top control and whoever wins gets camo plus 2 brs, or one with a shitton of ammo, on the biggest power position of the map within the first 20 seconds.

If BRs are on the map i want them in a spot where you have to go out of your way a bit more to grab them before being able to rain fire from top mid, if that makes sense.

I actually really like the pit areas (where SRs are now) as a weapon spot but dont think storms are the best choice. Maybe put BRs there?

I dont think BRs in the back tree spawn are great because i could see every game starting with a rush for br by each team, battle for top control and whoever wins gets camo plus 2 brs, or one with a shitton of ammo, on the biggest power position of the map within the first 20 seconds.

If BRs are on the map i want them in a spot where you have to go out of your way a bit more to grab them before being able to rain fire from top mid, if that makes sense.

I actually really like the pit areas (where SRs are now) as a weapon spot but dont think storms are the best choice. Maybe put BRs there?

It's the argument between forcing movement or providing a power buff to locations.

First off, the breakout would usually give 1 BR to each team because you can get to your own treehouse faster than the other team can (plus, there are faster routes to Camo off the beginning of the game than going all the way to Treehouse). Moving the Garage weapon to Treehouse removes an "upgrade" weapon from the team bases, and because it is currently in a very accessible location it doesn't provide much depth to gameplay. I like the treehouse location for a couple reasons.

• It's secluded and pretty far away from direct-Top Mid. Fathom is super fast paced, so I don't think we'd frequently see people leave Top Mid during a round of slaying just to go all the way into Treehouse for the BR.
  • It provides a clean option-select for players. I'm a big fan of nonlinear choices for players to make when obtaining a weapon. So not only would you have to contest and fight over the Treehouse for BR control in the first place, but you'd also get the options of bringing it towards Vat/Street, lay damage on Top Mid, or cycle back to your own Garage.

And as I mentioned, I think Brute Plasma Rifles would be appropriate to replace the Storm on the Subs.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1