CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Spawns, or weapon spawns? I don't remember Fathom spawns ever being changed.

Spawns.  Was the elbow spawn on the original fathom settings?  I feel like that is the one I hear complained about the most.  If it was originally there maybe the frequency of that spawn has changed?  I would agree though that the silo spawn other people bring up is also problematic.  Not sure what the solution is.

Spawns.  Was the elbow spawn on the original fathom settings?  I feel like that is the one I hear complained about the most.  If it was originally there maybe the frequency of that spawn has changed?  I would agree though that the silo spawn other people bring up is also problematic.  Not sure what the solution is.

Elbow spawn has always been there. It's more frequent now, because teams avoided pushing through Silo a lot more and prioritized blocking Engine spawns a lot less.

That spawn is annoying to deal with, but I think largely because you can't afford to have someone blocking elbow when you have 4 fresh spawners sprinting to the counter-pull.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think you'd probably want to buff the time it stays on the map if this was ever done.

Im curious why you think this? It feels like its hang time is too long already and i would think the opposite.

Im ok with longer hang time only if the damage is nerfed significantly. Force someone to make a decision whether to push through and be faster but also be weakened, wait, or take a different route?

Good point on the 8 vs 10 second respawn fucking up strongholds btw but mobile so cant multiquote

You also might want to rework spawns so that people can't just bum rush across the map and get a counter pull each time the flag is pulled, but that's just me. I have no idea if people like that meta. It is the main reason stalemates happen that much, though. People spawn 40% pushed up on the other team's side (via silo spawns), and it's faster and easier to pull their flag then fight than it is to just focus on killing the flag runner in most cases.

Also, I think Fathom is the WORST map for splinters because all the fighting areas are far too narrow.

or maybe get the Flag Spawn where the generator is, so that way you make the rush distance longer from the silo spawn, and you make the flag to flag distance shorter.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Im curious why you think this? It feels like its hang time is too long already and i would think the opposite.

I think the value of splinters as a zoning tool is being overstated a bit. If we make changes to relegate it solely to this role, I'd like to see it be a little better at it just to keep it from being like the suppressor where no one would ever go out of their way for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has decreasing respawn times in Slayer been considered yet?

This just made me think of a big reason for the slow pace of Fathom CTF for Quinn. Respawn time.. Why was OBJ ever decreased from 10 seconds? It legitimately doesn't seem to make any sense to me especially from a CTF viewpoint.

Halo CTF always being 10 second respawns actually punished a team if they went 3 down. With the addition of sprint, that punishment was reduced without even hanging the respawn time. Players just fly across the map as if they were never dead and grab a counter pull. Put the respawn time back to 10 seconds for OBJ and the pace of Fathom CTF will immediately increase, without having to change anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This just made me think of a big reason for the slow pace of Fathom CTF for Quinn. Respawn time.. Why was OBJ ever decreased from 10 seconds? It legitimately doesn't seem to make any sense to me especially from a CTF viewpoint.

Halo CTF always being 10 second respawns actually punished a team if they went 3 down. With the addition of sprint, that punishment was reduced without even hanging the respawn time. Players just fly across the map as if they were never dead and grab a counter pull. Put the respawn time back to 10 seconds for OBJ and the pace of Fathom CTF will immediately increase, without having to change anything else.

This is a huge thing Overall, but in Fathom case is more of a spawn issue, you dont have that many standoff in the other CTF maps.

I think the value of splinters as a zoning tool is being overstated a bit. If we make changes to relegate it solely to this role, I'd like to see it be a little better at it just to keep it from being like the suppressor where no one would ever go out of their way for it.

Do we want grenades to be an item people go out of their way for? If there was a simple detonation time nerf I think it would be on par with frags and plasmas. If you need the tool, you can grab it, but its not a necessity. I've used the current Splinters a ton for area denial and non-panic outplays.

If we want to treat it as a pseudo-power item then that is an entire other discussion we need to have.

As much as the universal respawn time is a great idea on paper, and is the type of thing I'd normally defend, lately, the evidence just keeps stacking against keeping it. Slayers have become far too reliant on team wiping and spawn collapsing and CTF overextensions are obviously easier, as you mentioned.

The extra 3 and 2 seconds, respectively, would help out both modes in many different ways. I don't really see them going for this, though.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do we want grenades to be an item people go out of their way for? If there was a simple detonation time nerf I think it would be on par with frags and plasmas. If you need the tool, you can grab it, but its not a necessity. I've used the current Splinters a ton for area denial and non-panic outplays.

I think we are both pretty much on the same page, just disagree on how useful Splinters will be if you remove the ability to use them like a sticky grenade. I think the longer fuse is a great way to approach nerfing splinters, but I also think something else needs to happen to it to improve its zoning ability or we'd be better off just replacing it with stickies or frags. Perhaps spread the orbs out more so that it's harder to go around them? Thinking about it I think I would probably like that more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we are both pretty much on the same page, just disagree on how useful Splinters will be if you remove the ability to use them like a sticky grenade. I think the longer fuse is a great way to approach nerfing splinters, but I also think something else needs to happen to it to improve its zoning ability or we'd be better off just replacing it with stickies or frags. Perhaps spread the orbs out more so that it's harder to go around them? Thinking about it I think I would probably like that more.

That could get really annoying though, especially since they kill you outright if you try to pass through them. What if their damage tapered off as it got closer to expiring? Or, what if it's radius gradually expanded over 8 seconds while it's damage decayed at the same rate (bottoming out at about 50% damage)?

It might help Fathom, but I feel like it would have negative effects on SH. Especially the maps like Eden and Empire where pushing a trip cap is still common in the meta. Give the team in control an extra 2 seconds to set up for a collapse and you'll see a lot more boring 100-0 blowouts.

The game should have spawn times catered to the mode being played. 8 seconds is fine for Slayer and Strongholds, but sucks ass for Flag.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That could get really annoying though, especially since they kill you outright if you try to pass through them. What if their damage tapered off as it got closer to expiring? Or, what if it's radius gradually expanded over 8 seconds while it's damage decayed at the same rate (bottoming out at about 50% damage)?

A small but effective overall reduction in damage is really all that is needed. If a full splinter made took an enemy to no shields, it would still function as a good area of denial grenade without being as much of a panic made for a 1 hit kill
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Alright, Fathom CTF. It has become more of a grind and prone to stalemates as players have "solved" it through the course of time. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

I realise many points have already been made but ill repeat a few that i think are most important.

Spawns - This combined with sprint is definitely a big issue as its way too easy to get across the map in force and pull the enemy flag and force a stand off.

Splinters - as others have said given the tight quarters on this map they can be too OP, either a removal or overall nerf would work best here i think.  As others have suggested maybe replace with plasma nades.

Also not sure if this was mentioned yet but maybe reduce the number of overall precision weapon pickups on this map.  Having a BR and LR on both sides makes it too easy to shut down runs and flanks from a distance.  Maybe just keep one type (possibly LR due to reduced ammo or Br with less ammo).

I know this isnt really part of the discussion you want but i have to agree with many here that radar is a big issue, it makes defending the base (even as the flag carrier) way too easy, making breaking a stand off that much harder.

Once again thanks for asking for feedback!

As much as the universal respawn time is a great idea on paper, and is the type of thing I'd normally defend, lately, the evidence just keeps stacking against keeping it. Slayers have become far too reliant on team wiping and spawn collapsing and CTF overextensions are obviously easier, as you mentioned.

The extra 3 and 2 seconds, respectively, would help out both modes in many different ways. I don't really see them going for this, though.

I think it should be tested either way.  I see changes helping Slayer and CTF in the current gametypes.  I could also see an expanded respawn time helping assault too which would allow the team that has moved the objective and taken map control to actually score the bomb.  The main problem with that gametype was that the spawns were too close and you could move so fast that defending the objective was easy, even if your team was otherwise getting slaughtered.  Games would end in ties regularly even when one team was totally outclassing the other.  a 10 second respawn could help solve this problem. 

@@bunniesz23 made a good point about Strongholds though.  An expanded respawn time there could make trip caps easier to hold and lead to more blowouts or wild score swings.  I would see this being a big problem on Empire Strongholds specifically, but that gametype also has other problems that i think warrant taking it out of rotation entirely. We still won't really know unless it is tested however.  Expanded respawn times could also make it more attractive to hold a double-cap and transition the gametype to be more setup-based than rotation-based since the defending team would have more time to recover, though i dont think thats as likely as scenario 1.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This isn't related to Fathom CTF, and I don't want to get things too off topic, but I was wondering what people would think of the Endgame Spartan Laser making its way into arena.

I know we have to be careful about introducing req weapons into the arena sandbox, but I have long thought the endgame variant of the spartan laser would be a great candidate.  Seems to have a similar ttk as the rail gun, and requires more skill than something like the saw, fuel rod or plasma caster. 

I could certainly be wrong, but I think it would be a nice candidate to diversify our power weapon selection for competitive arena maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@bunniesz23 made a good point about Strongholds though.  An expanded respawn time there could make trip caps easier to hold and lead to more blowouts or wild score swings.  I would see this being a big problem on Empire Strongholds specifically, but that gametype also has other problems that i think warrant taking it out of rotation entirely. We still won't really know unless it is tested however.  Expanded respawn times could also make it more attractive to hold a double-cap and transition the gametype to be more setup-based than rotation-based since the defending team would have more time to recover, though i dont think thats as likely as scenario 1.

Yeah if we start tinkering with respawn times, we might need to do Slayer: 6 seconds, SH: 8 seconds, and CTF/Assault: 10 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Funny you say that - was actually considering replacing the Railgun on The Rig Strongholds this past season, but I didn't want to scare people coming out of the gates. Personally, I think it feels like a more skillful Railgun replacement. Thoughts?

-Ghost

I tested it at some point on potential FFA maps. It indeed works like a Railgun would (but it was in fact a bit stronger because it was easier to paint/swipe over the target). People seemed to get a little frustrated because the audio cue for it isn't as obvious at the Railgun and the charge time is also rather fast. People were quick to point out that it shouldn't have more than 3-4 shots in it, and even then, it felt a little too strong at times.

The other splaser (Selene's Lance? or whatever the tier above it is) might be more balanced. It charges a little slower but it's still super strong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This isn't related to Fathom CTF, and I don't want to get things too off topic, but I was wondering what people would think of the Endgame Spartan Laser making its way into arena.

I know we have to be careful about introducing req weapons into the arena sandbox, but I have long thought the endgame variant of the spartan laser would be a great candidate.  Seems to have a similar ttk as the rail gun, and requires more skill than something like the saw, fuel rod or plasma caster. 

I could certainly be wrong, but I think it would be a nice candidate to diversify our power weapon selection for competitive arena maps.

Funny you say that - was actually considering replacing the Railgun on The Rig Strongholds this past season, but I didn't want to scare people coming out of the gates. Personally, I think it feels like a more skillful Railgun replacement. Thoughts?

-Ghost

I had the same idea when we were testing Evolved settings. We tried it, and it turned out to be awful. The weapon is very easy to use. It's a joke. The magnetism on it is out of this world.  Trust me, you don't want this.

@@SMARTAN 427, @My Namez BEAST, @@-DeucEy-, @@Killmachine, tell em guys.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I had the same idea when we were testing Evolved settings. We tried it, and it turned out to be awful. The weapon is very easy to use. It's a joke. The magnetism on it is out of this world. Trust me, you don't want this.

What Zach said

Rail needs less magnetism, not a replacement

What Zach said

Rail needs less magnetism, not a replacement

I'd probably just switch rail with the pro pipe honestly if it's as good as it was in Reach.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I had the same idea when we were testing Evolved settings. We tried it, and it turned out to be awful. The weapon is very easy to use. It's a joke. The magnetism on it is out of this world. Trust me, you don't want this.

Yea the endgame is crazy easy to use and is less punishing than the rail when you miss. Reduced ammo rail, or just using something like rockets would be a much better solution.

Ghost is in here now?? this shit is amazeballs

anyway... I am always leery of getting into using REQ variants of weapons.  Full disclosure:  My Warzone experience is very limited, but it seems that req variants tend to get more powerful and easier to use as you move "up the ladder".

Using a variant like that might be fun in a kick-your-heels-up playlist, but i think for Competitive the level of difficulty of the power weapons needs to be higher.  Some of them are too easy to use already (i'm looking at you Railgun and Sniper) so i think the better solution would be to correct those issues first.  I shouldn't be able to do a 180 while charging the railgun, sweep it over the opponent and kill them with it consistently.

• Upvote (+1) 3