CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Alright, Fathom CTF. It has become more of a grind and prone to stalemates as players have "solved" it through the course of time. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

Spawning by the enemy treehouse is a problem, people can overextend very easy.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I think you missed his point entirely man lol. He was referring to the fact that bullet magnetism shouldn't be at the hand-holding levels that it sits at currently. Not that connection advantages don't exist.

Projectile vs hitscan has 0 to do with magnetism, though. And OS pickups in this game are decided by internet connection about as much as LAN placings are.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Alright, Fathom CTF. It has become more of a grind and prone to stalemates as players have "solved" it through the course of time. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

1th ( :kappa: ): Remove all splinters, replace with stickies. 

2nd: Fix up the spawns. Spawning close to the enemy tree house leads to faster flag run stops, it seems like it's better to die and get a good spawn then chase.

3rd: I seriously think the caster or GL would be perfect for this map. Both could be used to block people from spawning back flag room, and the tree houses give some big opportunities to get some nice kills.

4th: REMOVE RADAR. Knowing where players will be, and are, even when they are on a different elevation slows the game down. Removing radar would fix a lot of issues in other maps as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reduce ammo to the Rail gun (once again, reducing ammo on all power weapons on all maps, will make the game more fun at a competitive level, but we're talking about Fathom).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was at HCS Orange County and was playing my forge map in the stations.

We were playing on regular Xboxes in OC. The dev kit stations were upstairs, on mainstage, and that side stage with the extra set of monitors facing out toward the crowd.

That said, I'm sure I've heard that CTF warmup and Octagon have been played on dev kits before but without confirmation I'd be hesitant to make any assumption.

We were playing on regular Xboxes in OC. The dev kit stations were upstairs, on mainstage, and that side stage with the extra set of monitors facing out toward the crowd.

That said, I'm sure I've heard that CTF warmup and Octagon have been played on dev kits before but without confirmation I'd be hesitant to make any assumption.

Oh, that's really strange that it would vary like that. Good catch, my bad.

I'll be attending EU finals this weekend w/ dev kits. I'll ask whoever is running it if Forge maps work on them - sort this misconception out once and for all.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Projectile vs hitscan has 0 to do with magnetism, though. And OS pickups in this game are decided by internet connection about as much as LAN placings are.

It does when hitscan and bullet magnetism are both used as crutches for online registration. No reason for hitscan to be a thing anymore.

Remove re-spawns near enemy treehouses.

Replace splinter nades with stickies (or, preferably, nerf splinter nades (max damage removes all shields on full shield enemy, shorten duration of splinters by .3-.5 seconds)).

Possibly remove br's and replace with carbines.

It does when hitscan and bullet magnetism are both used as crutches for online registration. No reason for hitscan to be a thing anymore.

The issue isnt hitscan.  I know everyone likes to knock hitscan, but the issues with this game have more to do with the way bullet magnetism works.  As of right now, almost any red reticule causes bullet hit registration when shooting, which shouldnt be the case.  If the red reticule area was smaller (ie reticule doesnt turn read until it is closer to the center of the head) then there wouldnt really be much to complain about when it comes to hitscan vs non-hitscan.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You also might want to rework spawns so that people can't just bum rush across the map and get a counter pull each time the flag is pulled, but that's just me. I have no idea if people like that meta. It is the main reason stalemates happen that much, though. People spawn 40% pushed up on the other team's side (via silo spawns), and it's faster and easier to pull their flag then fight than it is to just focus on killing the flag runner in most cases.

Also, I think Fathom is the WORST map for splinters because all the fighting areas are far too narrow.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Projectile vs Hitscan has nothing to do with magnetism? What? They literally co-exist with each other and latency will always and forever be a thing with online gaming. You cannot sit here and argue this with me lol. Yes, I'm fully aware that the OS argument was a bit exaggerated but, once again, you seem to have completely missed the point. I'd actually prefer if we didn't go back and forth about this man because there's some meaningful discussion going on and this is a pointless debate lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You also might want to rework spawns so that people can't just bum rush across the map and get a counter pull each time the flag is pulled, but that's just me. I have no idea if people like that meta. It is the main reason stalemates happen that much, though. People spawn 40% pushed up on the other team's side (via silo spawns), and it's faster and easier to pull their flag then fight than it is to just focus on killing the flag runner in most cases.

Also, I think Fathom is the WORST map for splinters because all the fighting areas are far too narrow.

Good to see an HCS gametype being talked about, and I think Vetoed definitely hit probably the most important issue. Nerfing the Vat spawns to make overextension flag grabs lest potent would be the first step. Another big problem with the gametype is the Splinter/Radar/Storm Rifle defensive play at Elbow/Small Door.

I think tinkering with spawns or maybe even inching the flag spawn in a certain direction could help speed up flag runs.

However, at the end of the day, I think the map's geometry just lends to low scoring games do to how vulnerable the bases are both on offense and defense and the width of the map as a whole.

Edit: I also just read someone's post about suggesting replacing the Battle Rifle's with Carbines. I think that would be an interesting thing to test, it would make rotations from Yard/Garage -> Treehouse -> Top Mid super valuable and could help speed up flag runs.

However, it may make it a bit too easy to defend your Street from people pushing through their own Treehouse/your Vat. It would also mean that each team has two very powerful rifles in their base which could be toxic for Magnum usage (which is something we should be promoting)

• Upvote (+1) 4

• I think in retrospect, swapping Camo and Rail did more harm than good, since now when you spawn Silo and sprint into the opposing treehouse, you're much less likely to get railed in the face (and can therefore more easily counter-pull). Also it was much easier to use Rail to secure Camo with the old setup and this allowed the team in control to snowball their advantage a little and have a better chance at a clean pull afterwards.
  • Silo spawn locations might need to be adjusted. I haven't looked at them in forge but I think extending the distance those players have to travel for a counter-pull where possible would help with the frequency of stand-offs.
  • Moving the Splinter into Treehouse helped with the counter-pull problem, but I personally am not a fan of this location, and it's still pretty fast to grab on your way. Maybe swap this with the top-mid Frags.

As long as there are places in the US where DSL or satellite are the only available internet options, there is a reason IMO. Even with hitscan and dedicated servers, this game is very hard to play online for many people. Regardless this is a little off topic and I think more of a H5G Thread discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For things that we can start looking at immediately, I would remove splinters entirely unless the balancing of them is going to be reworked.  I can go into lots of details about what i think would make splinters be effective tools while removing their imbalanced frustrating aspects if you want but don't want to bog down the thread here.

Swap Camo/Rail positions (again lol) while reducing Railgun ammo by a couple shots.

Moving Silo spawns will be important too.  It's too easy to overextend for a flag pull when you spawn there even when the other team has map control, leading to standoffs where frankly the team that got the first pull should have capped the flag.

I think the overall weapons are ok.  I could make the case for the removal of the Storm Rifle, but they seem to be less of a factor on this map than any other maps, probably because there are generally a lot of deaths and people tend to lose them quickly.

I decided to move this to the end because i know its the least likely to get changed quickly but radar causes major problems with standoffs too. It nerfs any kind of flanks, but is especially bad on this map give how tight some of the areas are. Trying to flank for a flag return through gen, elbow, bottom tree etc is going to get seen.  I know radar is a longer-term item that i'm not expecting any kind of movement on until it gets tested a shitton, but it warrants mentioning here.

Swap Camo/Rail positions (again lol) while reducing Railgun ammo by a couple shots.

I was going to bring this up, because it is a potential fix that could work. 

The current locations for Railgun and Camo are (in my opinion) objectively more balanced than they were originally in terms of Halo design theory (fewer Camo burns w/ more dynamic fights over it, rotations required for Railgun, etc.) but there is the obvious argument that having Railgun up high will speed up game pace by putting the power weapon in a favorable position.

I think we should experiment with the other suggested tweaks first (test, test, test) and if all else fails, revert the power items.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would testing extended respawns for objective games be on the table @@Deez?

For example upping objective respawn from 8 seconds to 10? Obviously this is a change that would need to apply to all objective gametypes, but it could help with the situation where people spawn and can contests an objective faster than they probably should be able to.

This could help fathom specifically without even moving the Silo spawns and might help with other gametypes like Assault as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would testing extended respawns for objective games be on the table @@Deez?

For example upping objective respawn from 8 seconds to 10? Obviously this is a change that would need to apply to all objective gametypes, but it could help with the situation where people spawn and can contests an objective faster than they probably should be able to.

This could help fathom specifically without even moving the Silo spawns and might help with other gametypes like Assault as well.

It might help Fathom, but I feel like it would have negative effects on SH. Especially the maps like Eden and Empire where pushing a trip cap is still common in the meta. Give the team in control an extra 2 seconds to set up for a collapse and you'll see a lot more boring 100-0 blowouts.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If Splinters didn't kill you but instead did 25-75% shield damage they'd be a lot better. They seem to be designed as a zoning weapon but they're just a more effective plasma grenade at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Great feedback and something I've been thinking for a while now. I personally would like to empower individual playmaking a bit more than what is in H5 today. We'll see if we can get there.

Doubles is a playlist that needs some refreshing. We'll look at that soon. Shurima is a dope 2v2 map for sure.

I think it's an interesting idea to have the nav point flash for a few seconds then disappear regardless whether someone picked up the weapon or not. There's some merit there. But would the ebb and flow of a match feel more frustrating than what you have now? Meaning, you can prepare mentally that the other team has the rockets when you see the nav point disappear. I'm not fully convinced that that information is bad. Just a thought from the other side.

Good discussion. I think at this point of the game it's best to discuss possibly reducing max ammo count on the Caster to help mitigate the unintended consequences from the detonation time reduction.

Also, let's take a look at the Grenade Launcher first before we get too excited that it's the coolest of cool weapons on the face of the planet. Cool?

Regarding the nav marker- it is objectively bad to inform everyone when power weapons have been picked up.

1) it punishes a playee for picking up power weapons by notifying everyone of his exact location

2)any team that fails to setup for power weapons should be mentally prepared for their opponents to have them.

The game shouldn't be doing their communication for them

The current nav markers have no competitive value

• Upvote (+1) 4

I know from watching his stream that @@SnakeBite has some pretty strong thoughts on the spawns on Fathom and why they have made that gametype so much less enjoyable as compared to settings from Worlds.  I bet you are aware of these concerns @@Deez but if not, I would highly recommend talking to PJ about it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know from watching his stream that @@SnakeBite has some pretty strong thoughts on the spawns on Fathom and why they have made that gametype so much less enjoyable as compared to settings from Worlds. I bet you are aware of these concerns @@Deez but if not, I would highly recommend talking to PJ about it.

Spawns, or weapon spawns? I don't remember Fathom spawns ever being changed.

If Splinters didn't kill you but instead did 25-75% shield damage they'd be a lot better. They seem to be designed as a zoning weapon but they're just a more effective plasma grenade at the moment.

In my opinion, the problem with Splinters is definitely not damage. Nerfing the detonation time by about a second would fix the gimmicky panic kills that it allows while maintaining its strength as a zoning tool.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Spawns, or weapon spawns? I don't remember Fathom spawns ever being changed.

In my opinion, the problem with Splinters is definitely not damage. Nerfing the detonation time by about a second would fix the gimmicky panic kills that it allows while maintaining its strength as a zoning tool.

I think you'd probably want to buff the time it stays on the map if this was ever done.

• Upvote (+1) 1