CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I was gonna bring that up too. The back areas are pretty unnecessary considering how compartmentalized the bases already are. Stasis proved that the flag shouldn't be as far back as it is on Torque.

Maybe consider blocking them off?

Blocking them off was something I toyed with, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Remove the respawns and put the SMGs back there and it would be used situationally to stay alive/bait the flag pull and other-wise would be dead-space which I don't mind (think Stage on Narrows/Coli or "flank-steak" on the Rig, they don't hurt anything despite being less-utilized parts of the map). 

The objectives resetting when they hit the pistons was fixed in the Cartographer's Gift update. To be transparent, that was the main issue that prevented the map from being considered for competitive play previously. Hence the discussion here on what other ideas to explore.

This is great news, I need to read patch notes more thoroughly. Very open to more Torque CTF testing. One thing I would like to see tried is swapping snipers with DMRs, I think putting the Sniper in a more difficult to reach location would only be a good thing, and might help balance the problems that dual-snipers bring.

Edit: Also I would check out the BTB.net version of the map if you are looking for inspiration. They do some interesting things, including some that I think would improve the map in 4s as well.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You guys kinda forgot to update Doubles with the most recent Arena refresh.

Riptide is still Storm Rifle galore (whereas it has been updated in the Slayer playlist), and other maps like The Rig don't have the updated weapon sets.

Pls

I'm assuming you mean Anvil's Legacy? In which case, that's dope! The lighting might be a huge obstacle, though...

Nah dog. I meant the Anvil's Gift to Cartographer's Legacy update.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Thanks for the discussion on Empire. I think there was some good nuggets in all of the feedback provided.

I'd like to seek feedback on Torque. Specifically CTF. Right now it has a very simple weapon layout of:

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

I personally think this layout is solid minus the H2 BRs and maybe one or two other tweaks. Dual sniper rifles is great on this map and I'd love to see them stay. What's your opinions?

Thanks.

Remove the H2 BR.  I actually think the SMGs are ok for a standard playlist.  If we are talking from a pure competitive standpoint then the SMGs need to spawn less frequently and have their headshot multipliers removed.

The movement of the pistons should be stopped imo.  Make one fully up, and the other half-up or an approximation thereof.

The lighting of Torque also needs a correction.  Its got good mood for a campaign area :) , but not good lighting for competitive arena.

As far as Torque's cousin is concerned, Are there plans to correct the geometry on Stasis to fix the blue team advantage? I like that map but it is definitely biased (and feels like it comes up wayyyy too often in arena).?

I know it's only a few responses so far but I'm surprised from the "no dual sniper rifles" feedback. Anyone disagree or have other opinions?

I 100% agree.  It's just that the sniper is too easy.  Maybe half (or more) of the headshots I get myself or see when people are streaming (live on twitch, not spectator mode) aren't really headshots.  They are in the chest or shoulder or not touching the player at all.  I am not sure how things are coded obviously, but it "feels" like the magnetism in the game pulls bullets towards the head instead of just the closest body part.  I think a dual-sniper map would be fun, but don't see how with the current ease of use, especially if one team gets both.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Deez , this is why people are worried about the dual snipes: http://i.imgur.com/XlVv6L6.gifv

That clip is definitely an extreme version of what would happen, but with how good the pros are coupled with how easy the sniper is, having dual snipes would just shut down movement way too easily. I think that opening up some new lanes could alleviate that.

The sniper is too easy to use. It hasn't been remotely difficult to use since Halo Reach. The sniper used to be a game-changing weapon in the hands of the very best snipers in the game. Now, it's a game-changing weapon in the hands of pretty much anyone. Before, teams used to prioritize rockets over sniper (as it should be, IMO), but now they are choosing to focus on the sniper above all else thanks to its devastating ease of use.

It's gotta get nerfed for sure. If it did get nerfed, a dual snipes map would be a HUGE plus. Some of the most memorable games of the past involved epic snipe battles between two snipers.

I understand I'm in the minority on my opinion but I really don't get all the "SNIPER IN H5 IS EASY" talk.  Sure we see pro's do ridiculous things but as a high onyx player who solo queues, I rarely... RARELY see someone dominate a game with it like Frosty might per say.  I'd even go as far to saw the issue with it looking "easy" on spectator modes and replays is more a problem with that interface and it not showing a true replication of what the player is seeing or shooting when they do the crazy stuff.  I, purposefully, challenege almost ever sniper I see in Arena MM with my pistol and I'd say I come out on top at least 75% of the time or make them run away.  Sure every now and then someone lands a wild 360 noscope or something on me but it certainly doesn't ruin the game.  I also suck with the sniper so yea... personal bias :)

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

If you're keen of having the dual snipers for Torque, I would propose that you switch them out with Halo 2 Beam Rifles. That sniper is the most challenging one to use, and it would also solve the problem of one player killing the other Sniper to combine ammo (Beams have a battery that can't be charged.)

I just want everyone to read this post again, because it is absolutely the solution to this problem.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Let's talk Mercy, since it's pretty much inevitably going to be added to the competitive rotation in 2017.

I think the weapon layout is actually pretty decent. Carbines, BRs, BPRs, and the Storm Rifle all feel like they are placed in pretty good locations, and the H2 Beam Rifle isn't bad either. I think the SAW and Gravity Hammer are thoroughly ruining what could be a good weapon layout.

I think the map is screaming for a Hydra (Top Mowhak/Closed Ramp?) and/or Camo (Bottom Mohawk?)

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

If you're keen of having the dual snipers for Torque, I would propose that you switch them out with Halo 2 Beam Rifles. That sniper is the most challenging one to use, and it would also solve the problem of one player killing the other Sniper to combine ammo (Beams have a battery that can't be charged.)

This x1000

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's talk Mercy, since it's pretty much inevitably going to be added to the competitive rotation in 2017.

I think the weapon layout is actually pretty great. Carbines, BRs, BPRs, and the Storm Rifle all feel like they are placed in pretty good locations, and the H2 Beam Rifle isn't bad either. I think the SAW and Gravity Hammer are thoroughly ruining what could be a weapon layout that is even better than it had in Halo 4.

I think the map is screaming for a Hydra (Top Mowhak/Closed Ramp?), Grenade Launcher, and/or Camo (Bottom Mohawk?)

I would personally like to see an OS top mohawk but that's neither here nor there as long as the SAW and Hammer are both gone I'm happy. The real gripe I have with Mercy is the Stronghold placement(not that we can play it in matchmaking..). I get having the two holds bottom drop but the neutral hill should get moved to back Open Ramp. Currently after people contest the neutral hill top mid they can just fly to one of the other ones faster than you can in Empire. Move the neutral hill further away and setups will be more prevelant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would personally like to see an OS top mohawk but that's neither here nor there as long as the SAW and Hammer are both gone I'm happy. The real gripe I have with Mercy is the Stronghold placement(not that we can play it in matchmaking..). I get having the two holds bottom drop but the neutral hill should get moved to back Open Ramp. Currently after people contest the neutral hill top mid they can just fly to one of the other ones faster than you can in Empire. Move the neutral hill further away and setups will be more prevelant.

I like that. It'll be pretty difficult to control the drop-down Strongholds from most points of the map, unless you have control of Closed Ramp (easy rotations to either lane). I think making the final hill on Open Ramp would be a good way to offset that.

In regards to powerup placement (Slayer), Overshield could definitely work but I think the long lanes can offer some cool flanks with Camo.

@@Deez could you confirm whether forgemaps 100% definitely can't be used on the dev-kit? Cause I remember pro's saying that they played the CTF warmup map on a dev-kit. If it is possible then why not use forgemaps instead of, in my opinion, sub-par disc-maps?

It also gives the forge community something to work for and you'd have a bigger mappool for more variety.

Central overshields are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They were stupid in past Halo games when it's based on internet speed and they're even more stupid in this game when you have to hold a damn button to pick it up so the two players are just staring at each other waiting to see who has faster internet.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Deez could you confirm whether forgemaps 100% definitely can't be used on the dev-kit? Cause I remember pro's saying that they played the CTF warmup map on a dev-kit. If it is possible then why not use forgemaps instead of, in my opinion, sub-par disc-maps?

It also gives the forge community something to work for and you'd have a bigger mappool for more variety.

I was at HCS Orange County and was playing my forge map in the stations.

Central overshields are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They were stupid in past Halo games when it's based on internet speed and they're even more stupid in this game when you have to hold a damn button to pick it up so the two players are just staring at each other waiting to see who has faster internet.

Can you really argue that connections are super good now so everything should be projectile based, then turn around and say connection decides who gets OS?

• Upvote (+1) 7

Can you really argue that connections are super good now so everything should be projectile based, then turn around and say connection decides who gets OS?

Yes, I can

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think you missed his point entirely man lol. He was referring to the fact that bullet magnetism shouldn't be at the hand-holding levels that it sits at currently. Not that connection advantages don't exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Vanilla Eden Strongholds had such unique and well placed powerup locations. I totally get the logic behind trying to go for the equidistant spots for a fair breakout at the start of the match, but something about those original locations just felt so right and more like an Arena experience than anything else I've ever played in Halo. 

I really hope it makes a return at some point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm just quoting for more exposure because this couldn't be anymore accurate. 

@@Deez This solution practically kills two birds with one stone and would make dual snipers a lot more tolerable for absolute certainty.

• Upvote (+1) 2