CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Thanks for the discussion on Empire. I think there was some good nuggets in all of the feedback provided.

I'd like to seek feedback on Torque. Specifically CTF. Right now it has a very simple weapon layout of:

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

I personally think this layout is solid minus the H2 BRs and maybe one or two other tweaks. Dual sniper rifles is great on this map and I'd love to see them stay. What's your opinions?

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Thanks for the discussion on Empire. I think there was some good nuggets in all of the feedback provided.

I'd like to seek feedback on Torque. Specifically CTF. Right now it has a very simple weapon layout of:

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

I personally think this layout is solid minus the H2 BRs and maybe one or two other tweaks. Dual sniper rifles is great on this map and I'd love to see them stay. What's your opinions?

Thanks.

I don't think we should be pushing for any map with more than one sniper if it keeps it ease of use. It needs a nerf and has done for a long time now.

• Upvote (+1) 7

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper

Thanks.

Please not dual snipe. It's gonna slow down the map and prevent any pushes because the map is very linear.

As for the rest, I can't speak on that. Haven't played Torque enough.

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

Thanks.

I think Toruqe needs to have the pistons not move. The pistons in the courtyard should stay half up, while the moving geometry on the sides should stay down in my opinion. 

The sword seems a little much on that map. Put more emphasis on precision weapons so that players take advantage of the long lines of sight. Maybe replace the SMGs with BRs or Light Rifles. 

Dual snipes is also a little overkill given how strong the sniper is, if you really want a 2 sniper map I would suggest testing the H2 Beam Rifle. It at least feels more difficult than the normal sniper to me.

• Upvote (+1) 4

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper

Thanks.

I like Torque more than most people, but it needs some geometric fixes. I remember Lethul had some good ideas for what could be done, but I can't remember those right now. I think that most people want the moving pieces to go away. I think that the ideal situation would be that one of the pistons in yard be positioned halfway up its path, and the other be fully extended. I think that one of the things that Stasis does better is the ability to make it out of your yard without going up the stairs, back into your base, or down bottom mid. Having the ability to go from bottom yard to top mid or to nest (I can't remember the fallouts too well, but if I remember right, nest is the overlook to the left of yard) might make the map flow better. As for other fixes, toned down glare would be nice, H2 BRs are too overpowered for the map, and the idea of dual snipers is nice, but it's super easy to land headshots with them, and the whole map goes into lockdown when people know those snipes are out there. I suppose the sword and camp are meant to counter that, but I think the map just gets too cluttered at that point.

I appreciate you coming in here and looking for feedback!

Edit: forgot that you were looking for CTF specifically. I would just say that as the geometry stands right now, flag pulls would be WAY too hard to pull off with dual snipes on the map. Just too many ways to get shut down, and too few ways to traverse through the map.

That weapon layout seems fine to me except the dual snipers. Dual sniper maps have to go in my opinion. I feet like this is rather cliche to say at this point but the snipers being as strong as they are due to the intense magnetism should not be the focus. It detracts from gameplay when you're just constantly getting hit by headshots across a long three-lane map; doubly so if you happen to take control of both snipers.

One sniper would play a lot better.

@@Deez

Thanks for coming here, asking these questions and listening to the answers. I'm happy to see these discussions on these topics. I personally would like to test more no-radar lobbies but know that requires a very in depth discussion. Regardless it's nice to see these conversations taking place.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I know it's only a few responses so far but I'm surprised from the "no dual sniper rifles" feedback. Anyone disagree or have other opinions?

• Upvote (+1) 2

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

Thanks.

I personally like the 2 snipers, gives a chance each team to wield one, which I am in favor for.

I understand people don't like them, but eh, I'm just me 

Thanks for asking btw

I'm not sure what the cause is, but the sword on Torgue seems much more difficult to counter than it is on any other map. 

Dual snipes has always played fine for me, but that's just low level Onyx slayer. I can definitely see why it would be a big problem on high level CTF.

Pistons being stationary and removing H2 BRs goes without saying.

That weapon layout seems fine to me except the dual snipers. Dual sniper maps have to go in my opinion. I feet like this is rather cliche to say at this point but the snipers being as strong as they are due to the intense magnetism should not be the focus. It detracts from gameplay when you're just constantly getting hit by headshots across a long three-lane map; doubly so if you happen to take control of both snipers.

One sniper would play a lot better.

Yeah it probably will, but how many dual sniper maps do we have in team arena?

Legit question,  I don't seem to have a clue

I know it's only a few responses so far but I'm surprised from the "no dual sniper rifles" feedback. Anyone disagree or have other opinions?

If you all are able reduce the magnetism, I'm hella down for dual snipes! It's just incredibly frustrating towards a higher skill level because everyone is Jesus Christ with the sniper in this game at that point.

Yeah it probably will, but how many dual sniper maps do we have in team arena?

Legit question,  I don't seem to have a clue

No it's a good question man lol. This is probably more noticeable if you play BTB; most of those maps are dual snipes (which doesn't appear as bad because there are more people to shoot). Torque I believe is the only one right now in Arena. I tend to play custom games on Forge maps a lot and a lot of these maps have dual snipers on in a 4v4 sized maps, it's ridiculous. We even had to tone down the ammo in the Evolved settings for that reason. It's absolutely nuts once one team gets both snipers. You may as well give up until they run out of ammo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, dual snipers is not good with the current balance of that weapon in H5. This is not OG CE, where you could have snipers on 30 second static spawns without a problem, because going off with it required you to be an actual god. This is the H5 sniper, which hands out overkills to Gold players. It's literally better than rockets in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

Thanks.

I actually am a big fan of the current Torque. The lifts/lanes from bottom mid to the side lanes (like Stasis) HAVE to be opened up if you want the map to flow properly for competitive play, and the pistons either need to become stationary, or raise/lower at much longer intervals. Preferably, I'd say keep them stationary. Also, you are going to have to fix the flag bug where it disappears when juggled onto a piston.

Move the Splinters out of the closets and I think it would be a good CTF map instead of Stasis. I wouldn't try any other gametypes without further pro testing though.

As other people have stated, dual snipers is much wanted but it could probably be pretty toxic with how easy the weapon is in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Torque's lighting is really bad.

The H2 BR NEEDS to go.

If you want dual snipers they NEED to have less ammo, but personally, I would just have 1 snipe in the middle of the map.

In general Torque has WAY to many pick ups, I would get rid of the SMGs and H2 BRs for sure, and reduce the amount of splinter nades on the map.

I would not recommend having 2 snipes + sword + camo, that is just too many power ups/weapons for competitive play. (I would get rid of camo and keep Sword, and snipers). Once again though, I would only have 1 snipe and sword, no cammo. 

Thanks for coming here and talking with us! @@Deez

If you want dual snipers they NEED to have less ammo, but personally, I would just have 1 snipe in the middle of the map.

In general Torque has WAY to many pick ups, I would get rid of the SMGs and H2 BRs for sure, and reduce the amount of splinter nades on the map.

I would not recommend having 2 snipes + sword + camo, that is just too many power ups/weapons for competitive play. (I would get rid of camo and keep Sword, and snipers). Once again though, I would only have 1 snipe and sword, no cammo. 

The Snipers already have reduced ammo on Torque, and most of the weapon pickups are back at each teams base, so it's a lot less cluttered than you'd imagine.

• Upvote (+1) 2

• x2 SMG
  • x2 DMR
  • x2 H2 BR
  • 1x Sword
  • 1x Camo
  • 2x Sniper 

Thanks.

Torque it self is a pretty poor map. The lighting even with the filter is not helpful what so ever, I don't think it should be salvaged.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One of those things where you can only see how it plays out and then change if it doesn't. I agree that in the right hands of some pros it can slow the map down especially with CTF as it is a somewhat linear map with obvious laneways.

I believe I was the one to bring up 2 snipes on torque to Strongside at this past years Gamers4Giving. I'm not sure if I can take credit for that idea but they ended up using Binary Rifles and I'm not sure if human or covenant snipes were tested. We were talking about replicating that Halo 2 Sanctuary feeling and this was the only map we could decide on.

I would also agree that having 2 snipers is not ideal for Halo 5 given their ease of use, but if there is indeed a sniper that is more difficult to use then I would like to see it tested.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Snipers already have reduced ammo on Torque, and most of the weapon pickups are back at each teams base, so it's a lot less cluttered than you'd imagine.

I play the Slayer playlist a LOT so I play this map, trust me, you never get 1v1 gun fights with pistols or even ARs. Everyone has at least 1 pick up or power weapon at all times. It's dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dual snipes is fine in CTF, but makes TS possibly the slowest in the game.

Biggest problem with CTF iirc was the frequency of back-flag spawns (difficult to contest flag runs from there) and the moving pillars that cause the flag to pull an El Chapo when you drop it on them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dual snipes is fine in CTF, but makes TS possibly the slowest in the game.

Biggest problem with CTF iirc was the frequency of back-flag spawns (difficult to contest flag runs from there) and the moving pillars that cause the flag to pull an El Chapo when you drop it on them.

I was gonna bring that up too. The back areas are pretty unnecessary considering how compartmentalized the bases already are. Stasis proved that the flag shouldn't be as far back as it is on Torque.

Maybe consider blocking them off?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually am a big fan of the current Torque. The lifts/lanes from bottom mid to the side lanes (like Stasis) HAVE to be opened up if you want the map to flow properly for competitive play, and the pistons either need to become stationary, or raise/lower at much longer intervals. Preferably, I'd say keep them stationary. Also, you are going to have to fix the flag bug where it disappears when juggled onto a piston.

Move the Splinters out of the closets and I think it would be a good CTF map instead of Stasis. I wouldn't try any other gametypes without further pro testing though.

As other people have stated, dual snipers is much wanted but it could probably be pretty toxic with how easy the weapon is in Halo 5.

The objectives resetting when they hit the pistons was fixed in the Cartographer's Gift update. To be transparent, that was the main issue that prevented the map from being considered for competitive play previously. Hence the discussion here on what other ideas to explore.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Doubles is a playlist that needs some refreshing. We'll look at that soon. Shurima is a dope 2v2 map for sure.

You guys kinda forgot to update Doubles with the most recent Arena refresh.

Riptide is still Storm Rifle galore (whereas it has been updated in the Slayer playlist), and other maps like The Rig don't have the updated weapon sets.

Pls

The objectives resetting when they hit the pistons was fixed in the Cartographer's Gift update. To be transparent, that was the main issue that prevented the map from being considered for competitive play previously. Hence the discussion here on what other ideas to explore.

I'm assuming you mean Anvil's Legacy? In which case, that's dope! The lighting might be a huge obstacle, though...

• Upvote (+1) 1