CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I love seeing Quinn personally respond to posts on here. We need more devs who simply ignore the haters and respond to the valid feedback. There will always be the people who are going to be super negative and non-constructive, but I think there is a lot that can be gained with an open dialogue between this community and the multiplayer dev team. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If the GL functions exactly as it did in Reach with the bouncing mechanics intact then it should replace the caster on every map.

The plasma caster is literally just a dumbed down version of the GL that can be spammed there's no reason to keep in the plasma caster when the GL fills the same role but takes more skill to do so.

It doesnt fire splinters does it?

You're thinking of the Warzonevariant .
  • Upvote (+1) 2

If the GL functions exactly as it did in Reach with the bouncing mechanics intact then it should replace the caster on every map.

The plasma caster is literally just a dumbed down version of the GL that can be spammed there's no reason to keep in the plasma caster when the GL fills the same role but takes more skill to do so.

It seems to function identically on the surface.

@@Infinity i expressed the same exact concern about the grenade launcher already. @@Moa says it works exactly the same and i trust his judgement on that.

The caster is a perfect example of why small and more frequent (but not too frequent) updates are so important. I think the damage buff and detonation time reduction were good. The reduction in lob arc was too strong but a good idea and the damage radius should have been decreased slightly since it was now more reliably accurate and powerful.

I was initially in favor of the changes until i played with it a bunch and it became clear that it was too easy to use now. Another update maybe 6 weeks later could have added a little bit of lob arc back and slightly reduced damage radius.

Obviously the details of the changes and timeline could be debated ad nauseum, but my main point is just that we need to have more frequent balancing done based on the feedback of the most experienced players to whom the changes make the most difference. Ie there is nothing wrong with stricly being a warzone player, but removing headshot multipliers for autos and slightly changing the caster mechanics are going to effect those players a hell of a lot less than arena players, esp. Since none of these changes need to effect req variants in any way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How about getting rid of the flagnum and restoring proper CTF? You know, since the studio has found time to remake the grenade launcher and half the Halo 2 weapons since launch.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 6

How about getting rid of the flagnum and restoring proper CTF? You know, since the studio has found time to remake the grenade launcher and half the Halo 2 weapons since launch.

Except there is nothing wrong with the flagnum? The flagnum's only issue ever was from not being able to drop the flag in H4.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This is such a linear way of thinking. Even if the GL behaves exactly as it did in Reach, there are still maps where a Plasma Caster would be a better fit, provided they fix the damaging buffs that they applied to it.

Except there is nothing wrong with the flagnum? The flagnum's only issue ever was from not being able to drop the flag in H4.

While one can argue for the Flagnum on paper (and if it launched that way in CE no one would bat an eye), Classic Halo CTF has always put the objective carrier at a deficit, and some people don't want the Flagnum because it removes that design.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is such a linear way of thinking. Even if the GL behaves exactly as it did in Reach, there are still maps where a Plasma Caster would be a better fit, provided they fix the damaging buffs that they applied to it.

In what universe? The plasma caster is just a less skillful GL. What exactly is it bringing to the table that is meaningfully different? This isn't a matter of "linear" thinking. It's the noob tube versus the pro pipe. Basically no one bothers to use the charge shot (when they do, they rarely get kills with it) and if you reverse the buff that makes brain dead spam shots so viable, people will go back to ignoring it because it's not that good.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The plasma caster is literally the easier version of the pro pipe. No reason for the pc to even be in the game anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

In what universe? The plasma caster is just a less skillful GL. What exactly is it bringing to the table that is meaningfully different? This isn't a matter of "linear" thinking. It's the noob tube versus the pro pipe. Basically no one bothers to use the charge shot (when they do, they rarely get kills with it) and if you reverse the buff that makes brain dead spam shots so viable, people will go back to ignoring it because it's not that good.

Because the weapons behave differently and serve entirely different purposes?

(I'll refer to the pre-Hammer Plasma Caster, obviously)

Their primary fire options are fairly similar, I'll agree with that, the differences being the Plasma Caster fires multiple bolts that can't kill on their own and have a short travel distance, and the Grenade Launcher firing a single shot that can kill on its own but has to be reloaded after firing.

The Grenade Launcher is high risk, high reward, but that doesn't really mean it is difficult to use. The Plasma Caster is a little more flexible but requires better timing and calculations to kill people with the bolts. The only variables I see here to determine which weapon is better are damage output and 'risk' which is an entirely different factor to discuss when referring to power weapons.

As for the secondary fire, I don't see how people can claim the GL trumps the PC in difficulty. While the Grenade Launcher still requires you to be crafty with angles and bounces, it's just a giant AoE EMP effect that is often followed with a precision headshot. It's literally a difficult noob combo.

Whereas the Plasma Caster has the charge shot, which requires the player to account for the charge time, travel time (you used to have to account for the arc), and detonation time. It's much less forgiving than the Grenade Launcher that rips away shields in an instant. The Plasma Caster has insanely high level applications for spawn blocking and zoning with this feature that I don't think people are thinking about.

The Plasma Caster in its current state is a mess, obviously, I agree with that, but shouting to replace it with an inherently different weapon isn't doing it justice when in reality it had the potential to be far more unique.

TL:DR: The current Plasma Caster is an easy, close range spam fest but if it were balanced differently, it would be much different than the Grenade Launcher.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because the weapons behave differently and serve entirely different purposes?

(I'll refer to the pre-Hammer Plasma Caster, obviously)

Their primary fire options are fairly similar, I'll agree with that, the differences being the Plasma Caster fires multiple bolts that can't kill on their own and have a short travel distance, and the Grenade Launcher firing a single shot that can kill on its own but has to be reloaded after firing.

The Grenade Launcher is high risk, high reward, but that doesn't really mean it is difficult to use. The Plasma Caster is a little more flexible but requires better timing and calculations to kill people with the bolts. The only variables I see here to determine which weapon is better are damage output and 'risk' which is an entirely different factor to discuss when referring to power weapons.

As for the secondary fire, I don't see how people can claim the GL trumps the PC in difficulty. While the Grenade Launcher still requires you to be crafty with angles and bounces, it's just a giant AoE EMP effect that is often followed with a precision headshot. It's literally a difficult noob combo.

Whereas the Plasma Caster has the charge shot, which requires the player to account for the charge time, travel time (you used to have to account for the arc), and detonation time. It's much less forgiving than the Grenade Launcher that rips away shields in an instant. The Plasma Caster has insanely high level applications for spawn blocking and zoning with this feature that I don't think people are thinking about.

The Plasma Caster in its current state is a mess, obviously, I agree with that, but shouting to replace it with an inherently different weapon isn't doing it justice when in reality it had the potential to be far more unique.

TL:DR: The current Plasma Caster is an easy, close range spam fest but if it were balanced differently, it would be much different than the Grenade Launcher.

How would you propose balancing it differently?

How would you propose balancing it differently?

Single Shots

• Revert detonation time back to 0.5s (from 0.3s) | Pre-Hammer Storm Changes
  • Slightly reduce RoF to make close-range fights less spammy and reward calculated and precise shots
  • Slightly increase damage and/or blast radius (explosives are complicated) to provide a damage buff

Charge Shot

• Keep majority of Hammer Storm changes, they strengthened the zoning application of this firing mode and did a pretty good job
  • I think this mechanic is in a good spot currently, but maybe it could use the smallest damage buff just to make the weapon a bit more valuable on both ends of the spectrum

Edit: Correction – Plasma Caster was buffed in Memories of Reach, not Hammer Storm

• Upvote (+1) 4

Single Shots

• Revert detonation time back to 0.5s (from 0.3s) | Pre-Hammer Storm Changes
  • Slightly reduce RoF to make close-range fights less spammy and reward calculated and precise shots
  • Slightly increase damage and/or blast radius (explosives are complicated) to provide a damage buff

Charge Shot

• Keep majority of Hammer Storm changes, they strengthened the zoning application of this firing mode and did a pretty good job
  • I think this mechanic is in a good spot currently, but maybe it could use the smallest damage buff just to make the weapon a bit more valuable on both ends of the spectrum

Edit: Correction – Plasma Caster was buffed in Memories of Reach, not Hammer Storm

The only thing I'd add is that the Plasma Caste charged shot should kill if you stick someone with it, imo. As it stands, it is possible to survive if the subexplosives don't hit you.

The only thing I'd add is that the Plasma Caste charged shot should kill if you stick someone with it, imo. As it stands, it is possible to survive if the subexplosives don't hit you.

I thought sticking with a charge shot was a guaranteed kill? If it is possible to survive, I agree that would be a perfect buff.

(The fact that getting Plasma Caster sticks is so difficult should also speak for the weapons merit haha)

I thought sticking with a charge shot was a guaranteed kill? If it is possible to survive, I agree that would be a perfect buff.

(The fact that getting Plasma Caster sticks is so difficult should also speak for the weapons merit haha)

Yeah you can survive. There is a primary then secondary explosion when you are stuck. Secondary does most of the damage. If you thrust away (ie if stuck in the back, thrust forward. Stuck on the right, thrust left etc) while its exploding you leave some of the secondary charges behind and can survive. Its fucked

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah you can survive. There is a primary then secondary explosion when you are stuck. Secondary does most of the damage. If you thrust away (ie if stuck in the back, thrust forward. Stuck on the right, thrust left etc) while its exploding you leave some of the secondary charges behind and can survive. Its fucked

Yep, that premise is cool, requires the knowledge and reaction time to thrust in the correct direction, but I still think a guaranteed kill for charge shots is an acceptable strength, considering it's a Power Weapon.

What does everyone think about Magnum only starts no radar?

Would only work with a different playlist layout and game presentation. Those are the settings I would like, but the conversation is a lot longer tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would only work with a different playlist layout and game presentation. Those are the settings I would like, but the conversation is a lot longer tbh.

What do you mean? Like an HCS playlist separate from Team Arena?

Yeah I miss old CTF

Yep, that premise is cool, requires the knowledge and reaction time to thrust in the correct direction, but I still think a guaranteed kill for charge shots is an acceptable strength, considering it's a Power Weapon.

Yeah i agree. The first time that happend i just about shit my pants lol

@@Deez, have the Sandbox team thought about giving weapons secondary uses/empowering individuals?

A big problem with the Sandbox is the redundancy of weapons. Storm Rifle is a buffed AR, same with the Brute. BR/DMR are just stronger Pistols.

I think a good idea to make Halo more interesting to watch/play is to make guns more interesting. Imagine if the Brute was just like the Halo 1 PR where it slowed down players and made it so they couldn't turn either, maybe also causing an EMP effect that disabled Spartan Abilities for a duration of time? 

I think also making guns skillful to use again is a must. It's too hard to break setups when the enemy team has weapons on say Rig Slayer, because the individual is not empowered due to Power Weapons being too easy to use compared to how hard and weak the Pistol is in comparison.

Snowballing is also a huge problem because of what I have mentioned above. People with a BR which is stronger and easier than the Pistol snowball for their team while at the same time making the game boring to play and watch because it has no interesting uses outside of being an easier Pistol.

@@Infinity brings up some okay ideas of limiting weapons ammo and availability, but that is just putting a bandaid on the issues at hand,

I think one of Halo's biggest problems since 2007 onwards is that the individual can not make insane or interesting plays by himself due to "teamwork" being forced into the game by either making the utility weapon have a slow perfect killtime and even bigger average/utility weapon being super easy to use/sandbox being redundant/2 or more of the above.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

Also last comment but Grenade Launcher > Plasma Caster, can we put this on Arena maps when it launches? Was one of the only great things to come out of Halo:Reach.

Great feedback and something I've been thinking for a while now. I personally would like to empower individual playmaking a bit more than what is in H5 today. We'll see if we can get there.

Seen some good suggestions so far. Less auto's on the maps is key for me. Also very much in favor of changing the power weapons on certain maps. Maybe replace the Fuel on Truth with the sword (and add a power-up where the sword is)? Also, I dislike the presence of the Plasma Caster on any map, is the grenade launcher a potential replacement here?

Bit OT maybe, but @@Deez are you guys looking at adding some "new" maps to the Doubles playlist to keep it interesting? Like Plaza and maybe Colliseum? Or forge maps such as Shurima and Cobalt? Thanks!

Doubles is a playlist that needs some refreshing. We'll look at that soon. Shurima is a dope 2v2 map for sure.

Weapon Pad being announced doesn't change anything. People still forget about the weapons half the time funny enough due to pressure.

The deal breaker is the green box that disappears when weapons are picked up. I should not know if the enemy team has a weapon from across the map purely due to a box disappearing, so I think that needs to go.

Edit: didn't realise @@Mhunterjr said it, so yeah basically I concur.

I think it's an interesting idea to have the nav point flash for a few seconds then disappear regardless whether someone picked up the weapon or not. There's some merit there. But would the ebb and flow of a match feel more frustrating than what you have now? Meaning, you can prepare mentally that the other team has the rockets when you see the nav point disappear. I'm not fully convinced that that information is bad. Just a thought from the other side.

Why is everyone praising the Grenade Launcher automatically based on legacy alone? The "Halo One" Magnum behaves nothing like CE and there were plenty of people that expected it to.

The questions that we should be asking are:

• What is the strength of the Grenade Launcher? (Tier 2, Tier 3, Damage, Skill?)
  • What are the problems with the Plasma Caster and other explosives?

I think one of the Halo's community's issues is overgeneralization and hyperbole, which makes us sound harsh and hateful. People complain about the Plasma Caster's strength and often shout "Reduce the Plasma Caster ammo!" "Replace EVERY Caster with Grenade Launchers!"

Saying things like this is just silly and makes it look like our intelligence is relegated to extremely simplistic thinking. Why aren't we asking the developers what they think about their complete swing and a miss on the Plasma Caster buff that fundamentally changed (and ruined) the design of the weapon?

This goes across the board for issues that are over simplified, when in reality a few small tweaks could fix them. However, for the Plasma Caster specifically, here's where I think the issues are.

• After the Plasma Caster was buffed, it became a 'dumbed down' version of its original design. The distance in which a plasma bolt travels until its detonation was reduced, which removes a large amount of the creativity and flexibility originally packaged with the weapon. There are still a few situations where the current detonation distance can be utilized, but the change has shifted the weapon towards a more "shoot the ground when you are panicking up close" weapon.
  • Because of the issue above, the weapon now feels cheap and too strong when people are just holding it in their pockets and getting gimmicky close range kills. Therefore, the weapon has too much ammo for its ease of use and strength, which is something the community complains about but cannot articulate
  • The PC's charge shot buff actually gave the weapon a much needed buff to its zoning and spawn blocking capabilities (something the original design had a strong focus on) but this is washed away due to the buff of the single shots.
  • If the bolt detonation distance was increased back to 0.5 from 0.3 (Hammer Storm), along with a slight blast radius or damage increase for single shots, the weapon wouldn't be as hated as it is now. Hell, the unbuffed version was already creeping into the meta on The Rig at Halo World Champs.
  • TL;DR: The Plasma Caster needed to be buffed in strength, not ease of use. Because of this mismanagement, the community hates and desperately cries to replace a weapon that has an enormous amount of potential creative uses.

Also, another reason not to shout to just replace weapons upright is because of map design. I'd much rather a Plasma Caster on a more intricate and calculated map like The Rig, but would like to see a Grenade Launcher on an Empire or Regret.

Good discussion. I think at this point of the game it's best to discuss possibly reducing max ammo count on the Caster to help mitigate the unintended consequences from the detonation time reduction.

Also, let's take a look at the Grenade Launcher first before we get too excited that it's the coolest of cool weapons on the face of the planet. Cool?

• Upvote (+1) 9

Also, let's take a look at the Grenade Launcher first before we get too excited that it's the coolest of cool weapons on the face of the planet. Cool?

Given that we've seen how it behaves in Reach, there shouldn't be much discussion on it unless you're going to tell us it functions differently?

• Upvote (+1) 3