CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

This thread have been gold the last couple of pages. Reading all the interesting ideas from the Halo professors and 343 being here listening and responding. Pure gold. :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 2

It cannot be stressed enough to get fuel off of truth. That should be first on the settings list.

Longer respawns for smgs too. I'm not against infinity's idea of making most weapons tier 1

• Upvote (+1) 3

Seen some good suggestions so far. Less auto's on the maps is key for me. Also very much in favour of changing the power weapons on certain maps. Maybe replace the Fuel on Truth with the sword (and add a power-up where the sword is)? Also, I dislike the presence of the Plasma Caster on any map, is the grenade launcher a potential replacement here?

Bit OT maybe, but @@Deez are you guys looking at adding some "new" maps to the Doubles playlist to keep it interesting? Like Plaza and maybe Colliseum? Or forge maps such as Shurima and Cobalt? Thanks!

I dont think its necessarily a bad thing to have SOME of the map pick ups be straight MINOR upgrades to your starting weapons.

The problem is that ALL non-weapon pad map pickups are simply moderate to major upgrades for starting weapons. Not all weapons need to have unique characteristics beyond range, damage and fire rate HOWEVER,

1) a little more variety would be good. For example what @@Batchford said about the brute plasma slowing your turn speed like the CE plasma rifle.

2) the weapons that are straight upgrades need to be harder to use. Not harder than the magnum, just harder than they are currently. Right now the DMR and BR are "stickier" and basically hand out headshots. Their range and damage are already upgrades which is fine, but they dont also need to be "easier" to use on top of that.

Edit: Bullet magnetism is an issue across the board. I dont know if its too strong period, or if its because the magnetism seems to pull bullets towards the head as long as ANY part of the reticle is touching it insted of the center (or a combination thereof) but it needs tweaking too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since they are in static timers, Are the announcements that big a deal? High level players are going to know when they are up regardless. For viewers and low level players it's good information.

The real problem, imo, is the waypoint. The HUD shouldn't broadcast when power weapons have been picked up.

Very much this!  This makes baiting weapons so ridiculously easy as well as giving out way too much information which can not only lead to collapses that wouldn't have otherwise happened but also changes the flow of the game (eg one team KNOWS the other team has picked up the sniper so will slow down and hide more). 

Couldn't sleep and was thinking about Halo 5 maps and wanted to start asking some questions in here to see where people's opinions are on a few of them.

What are your thoughts on Empire Slayer? In particular, the weapons and items found on it. What would you like to see changed to improve that map/mode combo?

I have more questions on other maps but I'll limit it to one at a time for now just to keep things focused. Thanks!

• Caster is too spammy and only makes the chaos of Empire worse. It makes sense as a weapon to contest bases and the tower, but I think a weapon like the Hydra (or pro-pipe when it comes out pls) would take a lot more consideration to be able to be used well and would increase the skill of play.
  • I would personally replace the scattershot with the shotgun on every map especially Empire because it's so much more fun and skill intensive
  • Replace the DMR or whatever on Tower, the position is powerful enough I don't see why you would add the best rifle weapon the the game. Replace it with a peashooter or suppressor.
  • Replace splinters with plasma's. Also on every map.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

• Caster is too spammy and only makes the chaos of Empire worse. It makes sense as a weapon to contest bases and the tower, but I think a weapon like the Hydra (or pro-pipe when it comes out pls) would take a lot more consideration to be able to be used well and would increase the skill of play.
  • I would personally replace the scattershot with the shotgun on every map especially Empire because it's so much more fun and skill intensive
  • Replace the DMR or whatever on Tower, the position is powerful enough I don't see why you would add the best rifle weapon the the game. Replace it with a peashooter or suppressor.
  • Replace splinters with plasma's. Also on every map.

??? i see 0 place for the "here let me aim this for you" hydra to be in competitive play.

I like the fact that the plasma caster does a lot of damage now, it should after all it is a power weapon.  But the damage radius is too big.  making it really easy to use.  Replacing with the pro-pipe would be an immediate upgrade regardless though, as long as its the same as it was in Reach.

I agree with @@FireAtWill too.  The last few pages of this thread have been pure gold.  Lets keep it that way!

• Upvote (+1) 2

??? i see 0 place for the "here let me aim this for you" hydra to be in competitive play.

I like the fact that the plasma caster does a lot of damage now, it should after all it is a power weapon.  But the damage radius is too big.  making it really easy to use.  Replacing with the pro-pipe would be an immediate upgrade regardless though, as long as its the same as it was in Reach.

I agree with @@FireAtWill too.  The last few pages of this thread have been pure gold.  Lets keep it that way!

Hydra is an interesting weapon because you can pick off players who are out of position or relatively exposed for a decent length of time. It's almost crucial for taking out the guy on Blue cat in Eden Strongholds because they generally are safe from so many angles, but the properly aimed hydra will move around geometry and take care of that. 

It's a relatively unique weapon, I just wish it's unzoomed rocket speed was faster and the splash damage was slightly reduced. If we could have a quake style rocket launcher in the form of the hydra that requires two direct body shots to kill, that would be amazing. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

FYI - it functions exactly as it did in Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Scenario A: I thrust slide all the way across the map to an enclosed area. I see an enemy player near me and switch to my AR so I don't need to aim. I get melted because he has a storm rifle and I don't. Outplayed?

​Scenario B: I spawn. I thrust slide all the way across the map into an open area. I get easily cross-map 4-shotted by an enemy player with a BR because the magnum sucks. Outplayed?

Those are both terrible plays as a whole so, outplayed.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 8

Also, I know that everyone wants to get their say in on what should change in H5, but remember to stay focused. We have a general topic of discussion proposed by @@Deez and it would benefit us if we can have a consensus on that issue before moving on to other things. 

Otherwise, we're all just wasting both parties times by spinning our wheels and accomplishing nothing.

Off the top of my head here's what I think empire slayer weapon layout is:  

• 1 Shotgun (tower 1) tier 2
  • 1 spnkr (outside) tier 3
  • 2 boltshots (vents)
  • 2  smgs (bases)
  • 2 DMRs 
  • 4 plasma grenades (2 each bend)
  • 4 splinters ( 1 in each sneaky; 1 at each dmr)
  • 6 frags I think ( 3 turbine; 1 old dmr; 1 at each tower ramp) could be more
  • 1 plasma pistol (might be sh only)

I like the idea of this gametype being a utility weapon based mode with power ups to encourage rotations. No splinters, Less frags (>30second respawn/reduced quantity), no weapons on map. Increase magnum reserve ammo count and reduce AR reserve ammo on spawn. I'd think i'd be a great change of pace from standard slayer gameplay. 

I'm not a fan of universal 20 second tier 1 weapon respawns and general 30 second grenade respawn. The despawning times are also an issue that needs to be addressed to combat the over saturation of weapon/grenades in H5. 

Great discussions happening!

• Upvote (+1) 4

Eden Strongholds still utilizes Camo and OS. Unless you were strictly referring to Slayer maps not having two power ups. Anyway, I like your ideas on which power weapons could be featured and the possibility of having both Camo and OS. Maybe for Slayer there is no weapon pad and it comes down to teams controlling the two power ups. Thoughts?

I would LOVE a map with no power weapons, (only power ups so teams would still move). Removing the SMG and splinter nades from Empire would help a lot.

In general I think most maps need less power weapons or at least less ammo in them. And treating the SR and or splinter nades as tier 2 weapons would be awesome on all maps! 

Thanks for posting!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, I know that everyone wants to get their say in on what should change in H5, but remember to stay focused. We have a general topic of discussion proposed by @@Deez and it would benefit us if we can have a consensus on that issue before moving on to other things. 

Otherwise, we're all just wasting both parties times by spinning our wheels and accomplishing nothing.

I think we covered it pretty well for the first 2 pages of posts after his initial question tbh.  We have strayed off topic from his initial question but this has been the most productive balance discussion we have had in this thread for quite some time imo so i'm ok with it  :D

FYI - it functions exactly as it did in Reach.

I hope so.  Have you played with it yet?  I'm just hoping it's not another H5 CE magnum situation is all.

Hydra is an interesting weapon because you can pick off players who are out of position or relatively exposed for a decent length of time. It's almost crucial for taking out the guy on Blue cat in Eden Strongholds because they generally are safe from so many angles, but the properly aimed hydra will move around geometry and take care of that. 

It's a relatively unique weapon, I just wish it's unzoomed rocket speed was faster and the splash damage was slightly reduced. If we could have a quake style rocket launcher in the form of the hydra that requires two direct body shots to kill, that would be amazing. 

I have 3 main issues with the Hydra:

1) Its too easy to lock onto targets.  I don't mean the timing of it, i mean you don't really have to aim, as long as they are in the middle 1/3rd of your screen, you'll get a lock.

2) I have a bias against any weapons that "aim for you", so take that for what you will lol.

3) The projectiles up close are too slow and "wild" to be consistently effective when unscoped.  I 100% agree with your last sentence there that faster projectiles with less splash damage (I think a smaller radius would suffice) when unscoped would be good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think we covered it pretty well for the first 2 pages of posts after his initial question tbh.  We have strayed off topic from his initial question but this has been the most productive balance discussion we have had in this thread for quite some time imo so i'm ok with it  :D

I hope so.  Have you played with it yet?  I'm just hoping it's not another H5 CE magnum situation is all.

I have 3 main issues with the Hydra:

1) Its too easy to lock onto targets.  I don't mean the timing of it, i mean you don't really have to aim, as long as they are in the middle 1/3rd of your screen, you'll get a lock.

2) I have a bias against any weapons that "aim for you", so take that for what you will lol.

3) The projectiles up close are too slow and "wild" to be consistently effective when unscoped.  I 100% agree with your last sentence there that faster projectiles with less splash damage (I think a smaller radius would suffice) when unscoped would be good.

I've dabbled with it on the PC version of Halo 5. It works exactly like it did in Reach. Going to be an amazing weapon for competitive, if it gets put in.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hydra is honestly more balanced and skillful than most power weapons used in competitive right now. It's not so much an auto-aim weapon as it is one where you have to estimate the distance to your target, projectile travel time, optimal angle needed to hit them all while having good enough positioning to take no damage while hitting it.

This makes more sense. The HUD should show when the weapons respawn then fade out after a few seconds regardless of the weapon being picked up or not.

I like this idea a lot.

I've dabbled with it on the PC version of Halo 5. It works exactly like it did in Reach. Going to be an amazing weapon for competitive, if it gets put in.

That is sick.  Take a retro upvote please

• Upvote (+1) 1

Those are both terrible plays as a whole so, outplayed.  :lxthul:

Not really enough info to make that judgement, but fine. I thrust bump instead. #Meta

For the most part, what would happen is that we'd see less low tier weapons being used overall because of a limited supply. That on its own, isn't necessarily a bad thing, because those weapons are meant to be an advantage to use and rarely just situational, but the advantage they provide isn't big enough to make people call out over them and focus on shutting them down. What I mean is, while it is easier for a BR (or whatever other precision weapon) user to pressure people, you don't need to adjust your play style vs. one, which makes calling it out redundant. For that reason, people with good comms won't bother specifying that.

I wasn't insinuating that weapon control would skyrocket in communications, but having the confidence to push from Yellow Corner to Tower 2 on Rig because you heard the SMG callout across the map could make or break a push/fight.

The main change left from this would be that those weapons aren't on respawn as often as now, which does two things:

First, it increases awareness and predictability of those weapons, which is good (at least for autos, because fuck running into a random storm rifle). Second, it creates more situations where people will walk over a precision weapon spawn just to find that it's not there. It's not a big deal in most cases aside from creating a minor waste of time for people who are looking for them, but it can be a problem on maps like Truth where those weapons are a factor toward holding a solid spawn trap and/or map control.

And with this system, certain maps would need to be re-evaluated, but in regards to an example like Truth, you don't want control/spawn traps to be so dependent and reliant on weapon resapwns. A Battle Rifle in P2 is meant to augment and assist a person spawn trapping bases, but having the ability to have two or even three players with BRs on P-Side is just completely unfair for spawners.

Specifically, when taking over map control (assuming other team had it beforehand) there's a good chance the Carbine won't be up because of the previous person who had it and died with it, which makes it harder to stay in control after breaking free from spawn pressure because of that little advantage you're missing. It's not a big deal, but it in fact favors the team which initially got map control, creating a mini snowball effect.

Same explanation, but the opposite. Certain weapons can be placed in bases to assist teams in setup breaking, but majority of setup breaking should be reliant on team shooting (based on Halo 5's design philosophies), communication, and positioning. Now that the spawn trappers will have fewer weapons (One P2 BR), the spawners shouldn't need as many gimmicky tools to try and break out of those setups.

Now as far as storm rifles and SMGs go, I'll be the first to say that in their current state, they respawn way too quickly and are far too numerous on just about ANY map. Those are the kind of weapons that people will go out of their way to pick up 9 times out of 10, and it's not uncommon to see multiple of them at once. FFA reflects that a lot because people rely on weapons far more than in 4v4. In fact, it happened a lot last weekend at HCS Vegas, despite the updated map set. I specifically remember seeing three different storm rifles in the kill feed one time.

Agreed, automatics are the first category that needs to be re-evaluated. Storm Rifles most important.

I strongly think moving automatic weapon pick-ups to tier 2 would make sense because the advantage those offer over the AR is just raw power. The same can't be said about precision weapons, where they're usually just a little easier to use at range (greater red reticle range, zoom, bullet magnetism) and the damage advantage is essentially a non-factor in battles. Automatic pick-ups are just straight up stronger, and engaging head on without being able to predict them means death more times than not. For that reason, it would make sense to change those, but for precision weapons, I can't say I agree.

Why is everyone praising the Grenade Launcher automatically based on legacy alone? The "Halo One" Magnum behaves nothing like CE and there were plenty of people that expected it to.

The questions that we should be asking are:

• What is the strength of the Grenade Launcher? (Tier 2, Tier 3, Damage, Skill?)
  • What are the problems with the Plasma Caster and other explosives?

I think one of the Halo's community's issues is overgeneralization and hyperbole, which makes us sound harsh and hateful. People complain about the Plasma Caster's strength and often shout "Reduce the Plasma Caster ammo!" "Replace EVERY Caster with Grenade Launchers!"

Saying things like this is just silly and makes it look like our intelligence is relegated to extremely simplistic thinking. Why aren't we asking the developers what they think about their complete swing and a miss on the Plasma Caster buff that fundamentally changed (and ruined) the design of the weapon?

This goes across the board for issues that are over simplified, when in reality a few small tweaks could fix them. However, for the Plasma Caster specifically, here's where I think the issues are.

• After the Plasma Caster was buffed, it became a 'dumbed down' version of its original design. The distance in which a plasma bolt travels until its detonation was reduced, which removes a large amount of the creativity and flexibility originally packaged with the weapon. There are still a few situations where the current detonation distance can be utilized, but the change has shifted the weapon towards a more "shoot the ground when you are panicking up close" weapon.
  • Because of the issue above, the weapon now feels cheap and too strong when people are just holding it in their pockets and getting gimmicky close range kills. Therefore, the weapon has too much ammo for its ease of use and strength, which is something the community complains about but cannot articulate
  • The PC's charge shot buff actually gave the weapon a much needed buff to its zoning and spawn blocking capabilities (something the original design had a strong focus on) but this is washed away due to the buff of the single shots.
  • If the bolt detonation distance was increased back to 0.5 from 0.3 (Hammer Storm), along with a slight blast radius or damage increase for single shots, the weapon wouldn't be as hated as it is now. Hell, the unbuffed version was already creeping into the meta on The Rig at Halo World Champs.
  • TL;DR: The Plasma Caster needed to be buffed in strength, not ease of use. Because of this mismanagement, the community hates and desperately cries to replace a weapon that has an enormous amount of potential creative uses.

Also, another reason not to shout to just replace weapons upright is because of map design. I'd much rather a Plasma Caster on a more intricate and calculated map like The Rig, but would like to see a Grenade Launcher on an Empire or Regret.

• Upvote (+1) 3