CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

There is nothing to gain from starting another discussion about the effects of Sprint.

It is already well known what it does for Halo. It has been explained a hundred times a hundred times. We know its drawbacks. We know its negative effects. We know everything there is to know about the mechanic. You are making an ultimately pointless effort in restarting the discussion in this forum, because the majority of this forum already fucking knows.

If you're going to start a debate about Sprint, it would be wiser to go to a forum where people aren't aware. I can only ask to please consider putting your work into somewhere new. Otherwise? You're wasting time.

Have a good day.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There is nothing to gain from starting another discussion about the effects of Sprint.

It is already well known what it does for Halo. It has been explained a hundred times a hundred times. We know its drawbacks. We know its negative effects. We know everything there is to know about the mechanic. You are making an ultimately pointless effort in restarting the discussion in this forum, because the majority of this forum already fucking knows.

If you're going to start a debate about Sprint, it would be wiser to go to a forum where people aren't aware. I can only ask to please consider putting your work into somewhere new. Otherwise? You're wasting time.

Have a good day.

Il never stop complaining about sprint in halo. Not until it is removed. I hope others feel the same way. I hope the most constant feedback 343 sees is anti sprint.

Nobody is forcing you to read anything.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Il never stop complaining about sprint in halo. Not until it is removed. I hope others feel the same way. I hope the most constant feedback 343 sees is anti sprint.

Nobody is forcing you to read anything.

Amen to this.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the problem have with the sprint debate is that you guys are debating it in every single thread. Why not stick to one thread so it doesn't clutter up other ones? You have the HCS Pro league thread, This thread, The "Why sprint doesnt belong in halo" thread, and the H5G thread were all having the same debate and it never goes anywhere. The debate ends up "Sprint sucks screw 343" and that gets pretty annoying to read in every thread you go to. I get that sprint sucks but sometimes we just gotta chill

I agree with you to a certain extent that we should try to keep the sprint debates in one thread so we don't derail other threads with off topic discussion but it really frustrates me how complacent the Halo 5 competitive community(especially the Pros) is about Halo 5's issues. It pisses me off that we still have radar(motion tracker) in team arena/HCS and still have 8 second respawns for slayer.

It is already well known what it does for Halo. It has been explained a hundred times a hundred times. We know its drawbacks. We know its negative effects. We know everything there is to know about the mechanic. You are making an ultimately pointless effort in restarting the discussion in this forum, because the majority of this forum already fucking knows.

Have a good day.

Being complacent about sprint gets us nowhere. Even though the consensus around Halo 5's sprint is that it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things it still should be addressed. Being complacent about Halo 5's minor issues is the main reason why we still have radar(motion tracker) in team arena/ HCS, have 8 second respawns for slayer, have power-up animations, a broken aiming system, and have grenade hit-markers.

If you don't want to see people "whining" about Halo 5's issues then I suggest for you to block them. BTW I also post on Halowaypoint to try to bring light to some of Halo 5's issues and have discussions with people that have different perspectives on Halo but I prefer using teambeyond because I get notified whenever someone quotes one of my posts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So any chance for better settings next season?  I stopped watching/playing halo since the pro league settings were announced, so I've been out of the loop.  Would like to get back into it if they at least get rid of radar/autos.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If instead of clamber we had some sort of double jump mechanic, which ultimately accomplished the same thing but allowed you to keep shooting whilst using it and which punished you for messing up; and if instead of sprint we had some sort of momentum based mechanic which again accomplished the same thing but allowed you to keep shooting; and if instead of our current 'utility' weapon we had a 4sk magnum... well then we'd have one heck of a game. It wouldn't be anything close to traditional Halo but the fundamental requirement of not separating combat from movement would be there, the current movement skill ceiling would be there and the kill times would be closer to what is needed when spartans can move so fast. Of course allowing you to move at the pace of sprint whilst shooting would solve a lot of that issue too. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If instead of clamber we had some sort of double jump mechanic, which ultimately accomplished the same thing but allowed you to keep shooting whilst using it and which punished you for messing up; and if instead of sprint we had some sort of momentum based mechanic which again accomplished the same thing but allowed you to keep shooting; and if instead of our current 'utility' weapon we had a 4sk magnum... well then we'd have one heck of a game. It wouldn't be anything close to traditional Halo but the fundamental requirement of not separating combat from movement would be there, the current movement skill ceiling would be there and the kill times would be closer to what is needed when spartans can move so fast. Of course allowing you to move at the pace of sprint whilst shooting would solve a lot of that issue too. 

This was being tested for Halo 5 at one point.

hkDVLnZ.gif

I love your guys passion regarding sprint but 343 basically told us to fuck off when they released the 11% statistic

Sometimes people can be irreconcilable, that's life.

Good luck trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Question that I've never really put much thought into:
What's the significance of 5 vs 8 seconds respawns for Slayer?

I understand both angles when relating 8 vs 10 seconds to Objective games, but the Slayer one doesn't seem very clear to me.

Yeah I saw that. Imagine testing that and then removing it for clamber... 

Both were being tested together. 

Double jump was removed because it was a late idea and the people designing playspaces had already created their plans with clamber in mind. 

Aka the maps were already stretched and filled with clamber ledges beyond repair.

Maybe H6 will be better, but only if 343 realize asap that these abilities need to GTFO for good.

Thrust and spartan charge are WAY worse than sprint.

Spartan charge wouldnt really exist without sprint

But either way, no.

I love your guys passion regarding sprint but 343 basically told us to fuck off when they released the 11% statistic

Sometimes people can be irreconcilable, that's life.

Good luck trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

There's nothing 343 loves more than trends and CS go, Overwatch and doom are a trend.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Question that I've never really put much thought into:

What's the significance of 5 vs 8 seconds respawns for Slayer?

I understand both angles when relating 8 vs 10 seconds to Objective games, but the Slayer one doesn't seem very clear to me.

I'm not sure what you're asking, put the respawns are way too long in slayer. They're a big reason slayer is so snowbally in H5. It's too easy to collapse on teams over and over and get them in a never ending respawn cycle because you can fly across maps so fast and the respawns are so long.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's nothing 343 loves more than trends and CS go, Overwatch and doom are a trend.

csgo came out in 2012 (fyi you can "sprint" with the knife)

doom was a major major flop and has 6k players daily on steam

you can sprint in overwatch, the game has tons of movement abilities and is a hero based shooter (wayyyy different than "arena")

csgo came out in 2012 (fyi you can "sprint" with the knife)

doom was a major major flop and has 6k players daily on steam

you can sprint in overwatch, the game has tons of movement abilities and is a hero based shooter (wayyyy different than "arena")

CSGO only "hit it big" recently and taking out a knife is not sprint lol. That's like saying moving faster with a sword in halo is sprint.

I've heard doom surpassed sales expectations and the game is a critical darling. The MP is pretty much universally hated but not for its movement but rather for its pointless "modernisation"(loudouts, monsters from evolve, perks, etc).

You can sprint with one character (that is used 7% of the time) the rest of the game has no sprint. I fail to see what the other mechanics have to do with this. If anything the fact that no sprint is thriving in every corner of the FPS market (military, arena, class based) is even more impressive than it thriving in just games that are directly comparable to halo. It shows that it is a flexible mechanic that is still highly relevant in the modern market.

CSGO only "hit it big" recently and taking out a knife is not sprint lol. That's like saying moving faster with a sword in halo is sprint.

I've heard doom surpassed sales expectations and the game is a critical darling. The MP is pretty much universally hated but not for its movement but rather for its pointless "modernisation"(loudouts, monsters from evolve, perks, etc).

You can sprint with one character (that is used 7% of the time) the rest of the game has no sprint. I fail to see what the other mechanics have to do with this. If anything the fact that no sprint is thriving in every corner of the FPS market (military, arena, class based) is even more impressive than it thriving in just games that are directly comparable to halo. It shows that it is a flexible mechanic that is still highly relevant in the modern market.

Pulling out the Knife in CS is about as sprinty as you can get in that game. You trade all ranged ability in order to move faster, which is really what sprint is in the first place. Only difference is that you can do it in any direction. As for Overwatch, many characters have a specific movement ability(mapped to the shift key, of course).

if you don't think the knife in csgo is a sprint mechanic then i can't in good conscious continue this discussion with you

for my own sanity 

• Downvote (-1) 4

if you don't think the knife in csgo is a sprint mechanic then i can't in good conscious continue this discussion with you

for my own sanity

You can move quickly in any direction. That's not the same as sprint. Sprint limits mobility in all directions but directly forwards. That is one of its key issues.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You can move quickly in any direction. That's not the same as sprint. Sprint limits mobility in all directions but directly forwards. That is one of its key issues.

if it's not sprint then what is it? LOL

it is 100% sprint

your definition of sprint as a game mechanic is incorrect 

http://www.giantbomb.com/sprinting/3015-603/

anyways, this is where i bow out, if you can't even agree that knife = sprint then i'd rather not waste any more of my time on you

• Downvote (-1) 3

Um, no? That isn't one of sprint's key issues at all. A sprint that lets you run in literally any direction would spark an even bigger shitstorm than what we have right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1