CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Empire strongholds is much better than it's old iteration and is still enjoyable as one of the faster paced gametypes in the HCS settings. 

The only games of Empire SH I win are ones where I run around with my AR out 75% of the time.

The only games of Empire SH I win are ones where I run around with my AR out 75% of the time.

Your comment made me want to check out my last SH game on Empire. I remember it being fun, yet hectic.

The score was 100-94. I lead the game w/ 19 kills, 11 of which were magnum and only 1 was Assualt rifle. I also lead in all objective stats.

THEN

I looked at the opponents side. Their leading player had 19 kills, 19 deaths, and lead his team in all objective stats. He had 12 Assualt rifle kills and 0 magnum kills.

So basically, anything goes!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind the AR as a starting weapon, but what I would like to see is giving it 0 spare ammo so that it's only useful for a couple of kills before it runs out.

How many spare clips does it have now? 2? I think reducing it down to one 'fresh' reload would be decent.

I still think it could use a 1-2 bullet nerf but its the least of my complaints.

How many spare clips does it have now? 2? I think reducing it down to one 'fresh' reload would be decent.

I still think it could use a 1-2 bullet nerf but its the least of my complaints.

Keep the headshot kill time the same. Slow body shot kill time by one or two bullets, and I think we're good. The AR can be a relatively skillful weapon if bursting and going for headshots can be made a more effective option.

I'm hesitant to lower ammo on our starting weapons, as I feel like I run out of ammo more in this game than any other Halo as it is.

• Upvote (+1) 3

4 mags spare + 36 in the gun itself.

You can't have anything but 0 spare ammo without having an uneven amount due to how the UI is set up.

The inclusion of SAW makes me happy.

Now, before you turn into rage mode and you're like "HERE COMES AUDLEY WITH ANOTHER PRO-AUTO POST" I want to be clear: if you run at someone in close range and hold down the trigger with the SAW, you are a fucking noob who is wasting ammo and needs to just drop the weapon and go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.

Here's why I like the SAW:

• It is viscerally one of the most satisfying weapons ever to be included in Halo. When you hear the sound of the SAW being fired, you know it's a SAW being fired, and you know someone is getting torn the fuck up.
  • It has perfect tap accuracy, a high RoF at which it can fire with perfect accuracy, and substantial range. This means, if you're using the SAW correctly (read: not spraying), then you can mow down opponents quickly from long range, even though it's an automatic.
  • It's different. Unlike Rockets which are a quick one-hit kill with a ton of splash damage that can clear out a room in a hurry, or a Scattershot/Shotgun which can turn a CQB encounter into a situation where the power weapon user doesn't take any trade damage... The SAW is a power weapon that...while almost guaranteed to win a 1v1 will likely not be able to IMMEDIATELY 1v1 someone else right after. You can kill a SAW user with attrition.
I think pairing the SAW with a map/gametype that literally has no other autos or CQB weapons (as SMGs, Storms, and the Scatter were removed from Empire SH) will end up being a nice change of pace. Though, yes, we will see a lot of people just using the SAW as a spray auto...which is admittedly disappointing.

I know that I am a few days late on this, but I have to say that this is a great post and that I generally agree.

The SAW was my favorite power weapon in H4, and I am glad that I am not the only one who recognizes its potential via its perfect and rapid tap-fire accuracy(the way all automatic weapons should behave in some manner).

The SAW isn't an instant 1-hit kill in niche scenarios like most other power weapons (like the Needler), and gains extreme versatility as a result.

Its purpose seems to be beating the tier 1/spawning weapons at what they themselves do best, being more versatile, jack-of-all-trades weapons that beat the 1-hit power weapons by engaging them outside their optimal niche situation.

While it can't 1 shot headshot shieldless enemies like precision weapons, or reload fast like other automatic weapons, the SAW can otherwise be used in place of precision or other small automatics.

This does create a lot of redundancy however, and it makes the SAW often require teamshot or a power weapon to beat, although since it doesn't 1-hit it is easier to fight against than most power weapons in a certain sense. But it still does what spawning weapons do but better, which is where it can be hard to fight.

Ultimately I like the SAW, but at the same time the redundancy and balance issues with spawn weapons both are why it is awesome and why it also sucks for the sandbox.

The H5 AR also now has this rapid tap-fire trait, but along with the SAW, they both suffer from the fact that holding down the trigger and spraying full auto does not properly punish your accuracy enough to actually make Tap-firing have a superior and more skillful time to kill.

Tap-firing semi-auto is still the most accurate at range and much more ammo-efficient, but is rarely seen used because spraying full auto is too easy and rewarding.

If only they had much more severe bloom from sustained fire I think that these two weapons would be much more appreciated for what they are and how they work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Keep the headshot kill time the same. Slow body shot kill time by one or two bullets, and I think we're good. The AR can be a relatively skillful weapon if bursting and going for headshots can be made a more effective option.

I'm hesitant to lower ammo on our starting weapons, as I feel like I run out of ammo more in this game than any other Halo as it is.

Yeah I feel that not many people can appreciate how skillful the AR can be when rapidly Tap-fired with 100% accuracy. No RNG involved with that technique at all.

However it is heavily hindered by the fact that holding down the trigger and spraying full auto is way too accurate and therefore nowhere near punishing enough, to encourage Tap-firing semi-auto.

I really wish that the AR bloomed much more with sustained fire, and kept its ability to fire accurately at a rapid pace only with Tap-firing.

The AR and many other automatic weapons would be much more balanced and appreciated I believe, if this were the case.

Ok so I hate how weak the pistol is on body shots compared to rifles. Either the pistol should take 1 less body shot or the rifles should take 1 more. The gap between the 2 is way to far as it is.

I'd be fine with the AR if they made they made the damage cone on it much, much smaller and if it had a controllable spread pattern that heavily punished going full auto with no spread reduction bonus in scope or crouching. Maybe a bullet magnetism nerf, too. Then I'd make damage tweaks from there. Or, just make it like the CE AR and sharply increase the spread and remove the scope and headshot multiplier to limit it to very close range only. The way the AR is balanced now is unacceptable.

BPR should completely replace the SR. The SMG should be tossed in the garbage right beside the SR.

But I'm just dreaming again, man...

Ok so I hate how weak the pistol is on body shots compared to rifles. Either the pistol should take 1 less body shot or the rifles should take 1 more. The gap between the 2 is way to far as it is.

The former is preferable, these guns are weak enough as is lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, I can't tell if the steaks on truth slayer in EU pro league were due to shitty teams or issues with the new weapon layout. But they need to consider putting some ranged weapons back in the bases. They could even use weaker req BR variants if they aim to continue rewarding folks who successfully setup.

So, I can't tell if the steaks on truth slayer in EU pro league were due to shitty teams or issues with the new weapon layout. But they need to consider putting some ranged weapons back in the bases. They could even use weaker req BR variants if they aim to continue rewarding folks who successfully setup.

Weaker BR REQ variants?

huh?

This is starting to become too much reminiscent of SMG starts in Halo 2 and AR starts in Halo 3. Instead of putting the precision weapons back into convenient locations on the map I think that 343 should just consider buffing the pistol(magnum) and make it a more ideal utility weapon so players can defend themselves in various situations off spawn.

I understand that 343 intentions behind reducing the frequency of precision weapons and automatic weapons on the maps was to put more of an emphasis on pistol battles and power item control but it seems to me that all it did was put more of an emphasis on setting up and controlling the precision weapons. Players shouldn't be rewarded for setting up and controlling the precision weapons in team slayer they should only be rewarded for controlling the power items. If I was wrong about 343's intentions and their real intentions behind reducing the frequency of the precision weapons on the maps was to actually put more of an emphasis on controlling the precision weapons then they need to treat the precision weapons as power items by putting them on tier 3 weapon timers(weapon pads) and put them in neutral locations on the map.

The Truth TS issue is more than just the BR removal.

• The disparity of strength between the Pistol and Rifles

• Fuel Rod's strength and large ammo count

• Tier 1 Timers allowing positioned teams to cycle Rifles and obtain duplicates to create more snowballing

• Long respawn times (this is the least drastic of the problems)

The answer isn't adding more weapons back to the bases, that just creates more randomness (in my opinion), it's a matter of making the Tower rifles valuable yet remove their ability to snowball.

@@Deez Tier 2 Neutral Rifles  :prayers:

Wouldn't this still allow for snowballing to occur? Yes tier 2 timers would limit the amount of rifles that are allowed to be on the map but it would also give players that are controlling them an advantage over their opponent because they would be able to control when the rifle will respawn just like how players in Halo 2 could control when the power weapons would respawn. 

I wish that 343 would make it where all players in the game are notified when the tier 2 weapons are on respawn so both teams have an equal opportunity to contest for control of them. Also if 343 isn't going to put power-ups on static timers then I wish that they would at least make it where all players in the game are notified when another player picks up a power-up so all players in the game are aware of when the next power-up is spawning.

If 343 is going to treat the rifles as pseudo power weapons then why not put them on static timers so both teams can have an equal opportunity to contest for control of them? Thoughts?

The answer isn't adding more weapons back to the bases, that just creates more randomness (in my opinion), it's a matter of making the Tower rifles valuable yet remove their ability to snowball.

Agreed. Buffing the pistol and making it a more ideal utility weapon while also reducing the amount of ammo that power weapons spawn with would help alleviate the snowball issue.

Weaker BR REQ variants?

huh?

Silenced BR has the same precison but less damage right? Maybe not the best idea, just a suggestion.

Anyway, I don't know about the pistol buff thing. The snowballing issue is only prevalent on certain maps, so I don't think it's a sandbox issue... And buffing the pistol might actually create sandbox issues across all gametypes.

On Truth, Controlling the towers SHOULD give the controlling team an opportunity to go on a Run, but it shouldn't automatically be worth 20kills. Currently they get height advantage, two powerful rifles AND a fuel rod cannon. While the other guys get nothing. Not sure how anyone felt this was ok.

Silenced BR has the same precison but less damage right? Maybe not the best idea, just a suggestion.

Anyway, I don't know about the pistol buff thing. The snowballing issue is only prevalent on certain maps, so I don't think it's a sandbox issue... And buffing the pistol might actually create sandbox issues across all gametypes.

On Truth, Controlling the towers SHOULD give the controlling team an opportunity to go on a Run, but it shouldn't automatically be worth 20kills. Currently they get height advantage, two powerful rifles AND a fuel rod cannon. While the other guys get nothing. Not sure how anyone felt this was ok.

First I've heard if it does less damage?

Nope. None of the attachments effect damage output in any way. You can 4sk just as easily with the silenced BR as with any other BR variant.

First I've heard if it does less damage?

I could be wrong, I've only used 1-2 times... Coulda been placebo due to the sound effect.

Can confirm that no BR variants do less dmg than the base version.

Also, Truth just seems to have a dilemna with weapons in general. All weapons on the 50 minus the hydra should have their ammo lowered as a band-aid fix.

Wouldn't this still allow for snowballing to occur? Yes tier 2 timers would limit the amount of rifles that are allowed to be on the map but it would also give players that are controlling them an advantage over their opponent because they would be able to control when the rifle will respawn just like how players in Halo 2 could control when the power weapons would respawn. 

I wish that 343 would make it where all players in the game are notified when the tier 2 weapons are on respawn so both teams have an equal opportunity to contest for control of them. Also if 343 isn't going to put power-ups on static timers then I wish that they would at least make it where all players in the game are notified when another player picks up a power-up so all players in the game are aware of when the next power-up is spawning.

If 343 is going to treat the rifles as pseudo power weapons then why not put them on static timers so both teams can have an equal opportunity to contest for control of them? Thoughts?

I discuss my Tier 2 proposal a lot here (with solutions for the problems that would be created).

Main Premises:

• Creates a defined weapon role that becomes more valuable
  • Expands on metagame (how a team utilizes that weapon role becomes much more emphasized)
  • Reduces snowballing by removing the ability to recycle weapons (have multiple BRs on Truth and kill spawners)

I don't think they need to change anything in terms of notification for players because the weapons aren't game changing. Tier 2 would cut them down to make it so there is literally only 1 Carbine and 1 BR in play at all times. If you kill the BR player, you KNOW that is the only player on the map with one and you can use that as an opening to break their setup.

I also understand the argument for static powerups but I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons for Dynamic Powerups. It's just my opinion obviously.

I discuss my Tier 2 proposal a lot here (with solutions for the problems that would be created).

Main Premises:

• Expands on metagame (how a team utilizes that weapon role becomes much more emphasized)
  • Reduces snowballing by removing the ability to recycle weapons (have multiple BRs on Truth and kill spawners)

I don't think they need to change anything in terms of notification for players because the weapons aren't game changing. Tier 2 would cut them down to make it so there is literally only 1 Carbine and 1 BR in play at all times. If you kill the BR player, you KNOW that is the only player on the map with one and you can use that as an opening to break their setup.

I also understand the argument for static powerups but I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons for Dynamic Powerups. It's just my opinion obviously.

But the BR kiddies will get mad. Silly shill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Main Premises:

I don't see a reason to not make every non-pad weapon have tier-2 spawning. Makes everything a bit more predictable when 343 insists on having so many weapons on each map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't see a reason to not make every non-pad weapon have tier-2 spawning. Makes everything a bit more predictable when 343 insists on having so many weapons on each map.

At the very least, all neutral and/or asymmetric weapons should be Tier 2.

I could understand the argument for having Tier 1 timers for weapons like the Light Rifles on Fathom, DMRs on Coli, etc, but it would still be possible to make everything Tier 2 with the right adjustments.