CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Anyone else wish they'd at least tested Regret Assault? Might lead to faster games than Truth.

Side note: Stasis CTF looks way better than TS.

I really think Stasis CTF is better than any Empire. It could be my general dislike of the map, the horrible lines of sight, and that a lot of the battles are going to result in automatics being used but Stasis CTF just feels better to me. I do think something is wrong with the whole Hydra side of Stasis though. It just feels like something is missing. Would probably flow a little better if there was a small walkway from where the Brute PR is that wrapped around the wall to connect to the bridge that connects rockets and the Hydra tower. You can already jump around that corner and clamber etc anyways but that whole corner just feels like some awkward clamber experiment to me

Anyone else wish they'd at least tested Regret Assault? Might lead to faster games than Truth.

Until they get rid of the silly instant resets, Assualt will continue be terrible on every map. I'm really surprised that this isn't something they tinkered with during the preview.

After much thought and consideration put into the maps we currently have, the sandbox, and the movement in this game, I can't definitively say whether no radar Halo 5 would play better. 

I think the base gameplay would have to be heavily neutered for it to work and the map pool would have to change completely imo.

Let's open the floodgates to discussion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No no more Radar vs No Radar debates, It won't accomplish anything.

I don't know, I've yet to see solid quantitative arguments in favor of either side. Compiling good reasons and rationale would allow us to better determine what would actually be better in terms of the gameplay.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know, I've yet to see solid quantitative arguments in favor of either side. Compiling good reasons and rationale would allow us to better determine what would actually be better in terms of the gameplay.

Quinn tweeted he won't change radar or remove it anytime soon. So why even try.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Quinn tweeted he won't change radar or remove it anytime soon. So why even try.

Really starting to wish the primary organizer of tournaments was independent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Radar "on" is to promote accessible entry into esports Halo.

Counterstrike GO's radar is the only viable one that works for competitive play.

You haven't been reading enough then I think

• Upvote (+1) 3

The game is still playable with a radar on. It's not great, but it's no way near as bad as people here make it out to be. As someone mentioned few posts up, it's good for accessibility. Out of the box = Competitive settings, something Halo needed even in H3 but we got away with the difference then with a massive population.

Really starting to wish the primary organizer of tournaments was independent.

You don't necessarily need an independent TO, you just need a good developer to begin with. One that listens to feedback, engages in discussion and thought with their community etc. One that provides real, legitimate dev support. 343 does none of this, they do what they want and tells you too bad if you don't like it, either deal with it or get nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes:

Rig Strongholds

Plaza Strongholds

Eden Strongholds

Truth CTF

Fathom CTF

Coliseum CTF

Empire Strongholds

Regret Slayer

Coliseum Slayer

Plaza Slayer

Eden Slayer

Maybe:

Truth Slayer

Rig Slayer

Stasis CTF

Truth Assault

Tyrant CTF

No:

Fathom Assault

Stasis Slayer

Empire CTF

Tyrant Assault

At the end of the day I don't think any of the new gametypes are better than any of the old gametypes. I'm a huge fan of Bomb, but the implementation in H5 has been pretty lackluster /w games regularly finishing 1-0 in overtime and spawning issues running rampant. I feel like there is so much that hasn't been tried yet as well. For example, why can we throw a flag 1/4 of the way across the map, but the bomb drops like a rock the moment you let it go? Why does the bomb timer reset instantly on pick-up? There are things that can be done either in the next patch or in custom game settings that would make Truth Bomb one of the better gametypes instead of a 15 minute bore-fest.

Responding to this on mobile but I'm seeing a lot of good comments from everyone that I'll probably respond to when I get home tonight.

I agree with this list a lot. Here's some of my comments

Plaza TS: I really liked the OS in Yard and I think moving it to Pillar just makes it like Vanilla Plaza with more burns. I think this gametype needs a decent amount of work done to it still.

Empire SH: I want to see the final variant of this map. I was a big fan of the Outside hill. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about the current layout but I'm sure it'll be improved from Vanilla regardless.

Truth Slayer: The main reason I agree with this being in the maybe pile is the BR removal. No BRs is much better for CTF and Assault but the BRs helped a lot with fighting out of a base spawn on Slayer. Still worth considering.

Rig SH: I think this gametype is close to perfect. With a slight weapon tweak (move SMG to bottom Nest) I think it'd play really well but I understand why it's in the maybe pile. Radar hurts it a significant amount.

Empire CTF/Fathom Assault have already been removed :)

Tyrant/Stasis CTF aren't anything to write home about but I enjoy them and would like to see them in Pro League for variety's sake.

Truth Assault: This gametype is criminally underrated. While I hate Fuel Rod in CTF/Slayer, I think it's a decent weapon in this gametype. I think people have not optimized spawns (Bubble Block OP), and when they do it will play far smoother.

Would people notice if 343 nerfed AR killtimes by one bullet every 2 weeks for 8 weeks?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You don't necessarily need an independent TO, you just need a good developer to begin with. One that listens to feedback, engages in discussion and thought with their community etc. One that provides real, legitimate dev support. 343 does none of this, they do what they want and tells you too bad if you don't like it, either deal with it or get nothing.

I know we don't all like every final decision 343 makes, but to suggest that they don't listen to feedback, or engage with the community is just flat out wrong.

They are in the unenviable position of having a segmented fanbase, that is constantly nudging them if different directions. You can visit team beyond and see complaints that they don't listen to the competitive seen enough. You go to waypoint and people are lamenting the focus on the competitive scene instead of casuals. Go to Reddit or Neogaf and it's a different story.

It's litterally impossible to take feedback from every different direction and incorporate it into a decision that pleases everyone. 343i has been more responsive than just about any other console dev. We just had a 15 day test period where they made map tweaks based on player feedback. Who does that?

• Upvote (+1) 5

What's wrong with Stasis slayer? I thought it was fairly decent?

Top Mid is the best area to control, but there aren't very clean and open sightlines out of it, just four narrow entrances, so it makes spawn rotations pretty sloppy because you can't be punished or predicted off spawn which makes it seem a bit random.

It would probably play decent if it had forced base spawns (e.g. MLG Pit), but that isn't something that Halo 5 is designed around.

I enjoyed Regret Assault a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know we don't all like every final decision 343 makes, but to suggest that they don't listen to feedback, or engage with the community is just flat out wrong.

They are in the unenviable position of having a segmented fanbase, that is constantly nudging them if different directions. You can visit team beyond and see complaints that they don't listen to the competitive seen enough. You go to waypoint and people are lamenting the focus on the competitive scene instead of casuals. Go to Reddit or Neogaf and it's a different story.

It's litterally impossible to take feedback from every different direction and incorporate it into a decision that pleases everyone. 343i has been more responsive than just about any other console dev. We just had a 15 day test period where they made map tweaks based on player feedback. Who does that?

So, what? That's a shitty excuse. They can't look at the feedback and filter out the garbage in favor of the well-reasoned arguments that have literally been repeated for years? They can't examine the massive success of the original trilogy (which appealed more successfully to more than either of their games have) and think about why that was? Honestly, this is pretty ridiculous. The notion that, because there are a few different sources with different tendencies, they can't possibly be expected to appeal to a large number of them. Have you SEEN the threads on Waypoint complaining about eSports? They're completely ridiculous and ignorant. They see ranks and HCS, lack of social features, poor match-making and think "tryhards" are the problem. You know, despite the huge focus on Warzone for casual, "modern Halo" players? Despite the fact that a lot of the problems "casuals" are noting are, in fact, brought up by competitive-minded/hardcore players? This is the kind of perspective you are suggesting they need to balance? Really. Maybe 343 as a collective need a nice, big pair of balls to get over that crippling fear of upsetting the lowest common denominator and not appealing enough to people who don't like Halo.

Let me be clear. As a general rule, I am willing to assume that most of the people working at 343 are talented, hard-working, passionate people who legitimately want to make a good Halo game, but that doesn't mean a lot if the company as a WHOLE fails to engage with the community on a SUBSTANTIVE level and frequently does things (with no real explanation) that could very easily be described by the casual observer as incompetent. Comparing them to shittier console devs doesn't really endear them much. How about we compare them to The Coalition?

I still miss Regret Strongholds from the beta. Probably isn't even remotely good tbh but I enjoyed it so much at the time.

I don't like Assault because they haven't dealt with the issue of needing to wipe the other team in 2-3 spawn cycles to get a single cap.

The issue is with movement and how easy it is to "fly" across a map in less than 5 seconds. It seems pretty entrenched in the game at this point, but I think it would be beneficial if thrust+slide boosting was removed.

It doesn't particularly add anything to the game, and it's very easy to do. I think if we played on "no boost" settings, if they could be done, we'd realize how different the game would really play without it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So, what? That's a shitty excuse. They can't look at the feedback and filter out the garbage in favor of the well-reasoned arguments that have literally been repeated for years? They can't examine the massive success of the original trilogy (which appealed more successfully to more than either of their games have) and think about why that was? Honestly, this is pretty ridiculous. The notion that, because there are a few different sources with different tendencies, they can't possibly be expected to appeal to a large number of them. Have you SEEN the threads on Waypoint complaining about eSports? They're completely ridiculous and ignorant. They see ranks and HCS, lack of social features, poor match-making and think "tryhards" are the problem. You know, despite the huge focus on Warzone for casual, "modern Halo" players? Despite the fact that a lot of the problems "casuals" are noting are, in fact, brought up by competitive-minded/hardcore players? This is the kind of perspective you are suggesting they need to balance? Really. Maybe 343 as a collective need a nice, big pair of balls to get over that crippling fear of upsetting the lowest common denominator and not appealing enough to people who don't like Halo.

Let me be clear. As a general rule, I am willing to assume that most of the people working at 343 are talented, hard-working, passionate people who legitimately want to make a good Halo game, but that doesn't mean a lot if the company as a WHOLE fails to engage with the community on a SUBSTANTIVE level and frequently does things (with no real explanation) that could very easily be described by the casual observer as incompetent. Comparing them to shittier console devs doesn't really endear them much. How about we compare them to The Coalition?

Opinions are like assholes...

I agree, the opinions on waypoint are generally absolutely ridiculous. But guess what; those ridiculous opinions are probably shared by a much larger population than anything competitive players drum up.

These people are paying customers just like you or I. listening ONLY to the competitive audience is a great way to ensure that EVEN FEWER people play their game.

Don't fall into that trap of thinking your opinion matters more than everyone else's. It's an opinion, therefore it's subjective.

Yes there are issues where competitive and casuals seem to have opinions that overlap, and those seem to be where reaction from 343 has taken place most readily.

Like I said, I don't agree with many of 343s calls. But to suggest that they aren't listening to feedback is just flat out incorrect. This issue is that they end up giving more weight to feedback that YOU don't agree with.

If only game design was as easy as "go to team beyond forums, do exactly what they say, profit"

Edit: The coalition has yet to release a product, so that comparison is a bit premature. The GoW4 beta had recieved as much praise for its faithful adherence to the source as it did concern over stagnation. It remains to be seen if that approach will pay off.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So if we polled pros do you think a majority would support the AR starts?

True but if they are unwilling to try running game with no radar or "sprint + Abilities only" radar for a bit to see how it plays, how can we compile said data?

this is grossly overstated.  Are they doing everything that we demand simply because WE DEMAND IT!?!?!? Of course not, and they would be stupid to do so as there are considerations other than just what the niche competitive community wants.  I personally think that not running a "no radar" playlist for a while to see what happens is stupid for sure.  "Internal testing" is not adequate for that.  But to say that 343 has not provided significant dev support is flat out wrong.

buffed caster, reduction of auto's in competitive, a team arena playlist that closely mirrors the competitive settings, , matchmaking balance selector, robust controller configuration options, continually improving forge, forge coming to PC:  All changes people have asked for and received.  

And lets not forget they are also backing a pro league and multiple million dollar+ tournaments and releasing new content on a regular basis.

Are there things that they could be doing better? absolutely! but what you are saying is way off the mark.

Assault is not fit for serious play right now.

Its so sad, i used to love that gametype.  Oddly one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that the bomb explosion is so "meh".  I want a fucking explosion that kills everybody within 20 meters, not some lame flash of light.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't like Assault because they haven't dealt with the issue of needing to wipe the other team in 2-3 spawn cycles to get a single cap.

The issue is with movement and how easy it is to "fly" across a map in less than 5 seconds. It seems pretty entrenched in the game at this point, but I think it would be beneficial if thrust+slide boosting was removed.

It doesn't particularly add anything to the game, and it's very easy to do. I think if we played on "no boost" settings, if they could be done, we'd realize how different the game would really play without it.

It's literally the most fun thing about the game. It also stops the meta from slowing right down.