CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

And midship, and sanc, and pit, etc.. As long as each teams 'side' of the map is mirrored off eachother it can work. Guardian or riptide is my example of an asymmetrical map.

Nah, Pit and Midship are perfectly symmetrical (1-axis). When Coliseum actually has differences at each base that make it slightly asymmetrical.

So is Coliseum.

True. I'm giving it a fair chance and I'm actually very excited for the prospect of Asym CTF but the lanes/routes are very different on both bases, whereas Coliseum just has a few different quirks at each base (Caves, Wing on Red Elbow)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it impossible by design, or is it impossible because it's new? There is a major difference and I think a lot of us are going through a culture shock in terms of these maps. It happens in a lot of games that go through balance-changing seasons. A high-level League of Legends player sometimes will have to relearn the entire way they play the game because of how the developer shifts the meta, and this is the primary intention with these competitive updates to Arena.

For example, I also played Plaza Strongholds today and was completely lost, but as people continue to play the game I could see it becoming much more refined. Same goes for Coliseum; the map may be fundamentally changed but we can't objectively judge anything until we've grinded it out and dissected the metagame in each map.

For me at least, I either win 100-<10 or lose 100-<10. The way the hills are set up makes it very easy for a team to 3 cap and sit top mod and rotate to wherever the other team is trying to cap. If it's set up correctly the losing team can just keep spawning at sniper (or what is now camo) which is nowhere near a stronghold.

That's at least what I've experienced. I'd be interested to see how pros played it and if there would be any differences in scoring/setup.

@@Batchford I don't think the Boltshot's 'low-level, redundancy' is because of its ease of use. The spacial awareness and timing required to land Boltshot projectiles is a decent tradeoff for its lack of headshot requirement.

The weapon might just be in need of a buff altogether, I don't think it's a weapon that's "designed for lower level of play" it's just a bit weak because of the extremely high movement skill ceiling at the Pro level.

@@Batchford I don't think the Boltshot's 'low-level, redundancy' is because of its ease of use. The spacial awareness and timing required to land Boltshot projectiles is a decent tradeoff for its lack of headshot requirement.

The weapon might just be in need of a buff altogether, I don't think it's a weapon that's "designed for lower level of play" it's just a bit weak because of the extremely high movement skill ceiling at the Pro level.

In my opinion, the Boltshot reminds me of a bad Pistol, much like the Suppressor being a bad AR.

I feel they tried to make niche guns like H1, but they are pretty hit and miss.

Hydra is nice though. Make more guns like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In my opinion, the Boltshot reminds me of a bad Pistol, much like the Suppressor being a bad AR.

Oh I'm not denying that the Precision and Automatic redundancy is lame (BR v. DMR. v. Pistol v. Boltshot), I'm just saying that we shouldn't hate the Boltshot in specific when it's suiting a more niche role as a precision weapon rather than the BR just being a straight upgrade from the Pistol

I noticed we're getting starting ammo options for Infection. In the event that setting comes to the other modes, they should totally lower the amount of ammo the AR gets off spawn. It's a bit silly that the Magnum gets so little in comparison while the AR never runs out.

:simms:  :salt:

I noticed we're getting starting ammo options for Infection. In the event that setting comes to the other modes, they should totally lower the amount of ammo the AR gets off spawn. It's a bit silly that the Magnum gets so little in comparison while the AR never runs out.

I like this.

I noticed in my statting time in bronze/silver that the boltshot does get some love at that  level. Because those people are so poor with the pistol and boltshot is easier to use the boltshot actually gives them a bump up in average kill time. ie bronze pistol vs bronze boltshot = boltshot win.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I noticed in my statting time in bronze/silver that the boltshot does get some love at that  level. Because those people are so poor with the pistol and boltshot is easier to use the boltshot actually gives them a bump up in average kill time. ie bronze pistol vs bronze boltshot = boltshot win.

There are a lot of factors to this. Obviously the lack of headshot is one thing, but low level players have an extremely low handle of the movement in the game and less maneuverability to exploit the geometry.

There are a lot of factors to this. Obviously the lack of headshot is one thing, but low level players have an extremely low handle of the movement in the game and less maneuverability to exploit the geometry.

Oh for sure. They also rarely if ever thrust during a fight.

Im just saying that while at high levels the boltshot is shit, at lower levels it definitely has a place in the game.

Random Boltshot trivia: scoped shots have a higher velocity than unscoped shots.

Shame that such a subtle bit of nuance like that just isn't really practical in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some thoughts on the changes as they relate to Pro League:

I actually think it's not very useful to spend too much time tweaking successful maps and game types. As a viewer (less so as a player which is maybe the issue) I'd rather see the pool become roughly half of the "classics" and then half entirely new things that didn't exist in a competitive way before. Now, that of course has the requirement that the new game types be good, which may be the issue right now, but I do think it's worth spending more time iterating on the new maps. For example, where is Overgrowth Strongholds? AFAIK this is mostly an acceptable game mode, and it would be great to slot it in for something like Empire Strongholds. Same goes for something like Torque CTF.

It's entirely possible everyone hates those maps, but changing things in such a way could have a big impact on performance - it's a new season so it should feel somewhat new, and new maps / game modes on said maps will do that best. It's unfortunate that Assault seems to have some foundational issues with spawns in H5, that might be causing some of the restrictions. It still seems like it's potentially better than adding something ridiculous like Fuel on Truth or Speed Boost on Fathom. Those changes should be made to address some issue that currently exists within that map/game type, but I have a really hard time seeing either of those changes doing anything specific other than change for sake of change. I would much rather see tweaks to something like Pegasus slayer, whose issues seem to come from power up placements - the distances on the map actually play really well with the pistol. I also think just having pistol duels is fun in H5, that core thing is fun to repeat. We don't always need 1SK weapons, sometimes we want to have skill showdowns in the most classic Halo way where our tools are the pistol, melee and nades. That should be a key component of every map.

Another thing that really bothers me is that this game doesn't have voting or vetoing in the playlists for maps and gametypes. That is an immense amount of data 343 is not collecting about people who play and what maps they prefer, and simply put it's objective data, not someone's post on a forum. They could know conclusively which maps get the most votes or vetoes... Or to put it another way, which maps and modes make the game a better experience for its players and which ones make that experience worse.

Boltshot is a weird gun. Whenever someone fires it at me I die, not because of the gun, but because that player created a skill gap against me by doing something I've never seen before.

Not a fan of the fuel rod on Truth at all. It's like playing Regret again now.

Stasis reminds me of Sanctuary

Qft. I thought I'd be the only one who feels this way, but I've seen a couple people make this comparison across different sites.

Qft. I thought I'd be the only one who feels this way, but I've seen a couple people make this comparison across different sites.

Ring control is very strong.

Stasis reminds me of Sanctuary

Fathom is literally a carbon copy of Sanctuary in terms of flow and design, but I definitely see a little bit of inspiration of it in Stasis.

Not a fan of the fuel rod on Truth at all. It's like playing Regret again now.

You have to explain why, otherwise you look like you are just venting because you died to it. It's a power weapon just like any other, it just needs to be tweaked to be in line with the map (if it even stays).

I'd rather have Plasma Caster return or have Fuel Rod reduced ammo by one clip.

Random Boltshot trivia: scoped shots have a higher velocity than unscoped shots.

Shame that such a subtle bit of nuance like that just isn't really practical in Halo.

As someone who is a frequent Boltshot user I didn't know this. Pretty cool piece of science.

Fathom is literally a carbon copy of Sanctuary in terms of flow and design, but I definitely see a little bit of inspiration of it in Stasis.

Please stop.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Please stop.

Top Mid = Ring Control

Tree Houses = Carbines

Spawn Trapping in Vat for CTF = Rocks

Obviously the map is different (verticality, enclosed treehouses) but in terms of running flags and setups they have a lot of similarities.

Top Mid = Ring Control

Tree Houses = Carbines

Obviously the map is different (verticality, enclosed treehouses) but in terms of running flags and setups they have a lot of similarities.

I see more similarities between Coliseum and Pit

Top Mid = Ring Control

Tree Houses = Carbines

Those are extremely loose comparisons and don't really even work in the way you describe them at the highest levels. I'm not even speaking on the quality or merit of either map (just to be clear). They've both got their strengths and weaknesses as designs but to be quite frank the comparison simply doesn't work even on a fundamental level. Sure, they're both inverse symmetrical maps that play CTF, but that's about it. It's the equivalent of saying Plaza is a lot like Lockout., when in reality the only similarities they have are that they are asymmetrical and they generally play a slower paced Slayer and a much faster paced Objective gametype.