CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Ooh yes locking on and pointing the gun in the air. Much skill.

As opposed to the Rocket Launcher's "point at baddy and shoot"? But hey, keep trying to discredit our points with blanket statements.

Though considering your responses, I do have to ask. How often do you use the Hydra?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I actually enjoy most of the changes. I didn't think Eden strongholds needed change, but this new version plays much better than I expected.

Fathoms changes were for the worst though. 343 seems really interested in getting the SAW into matchmaking and I just don't understand why.

Fuel Rod needs its ammo cut in half and we're gravy

Empire flag and strongholds plays better too

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not a big fan of the Eden Strongholds changes, but I don't generally like the super-exposed lowground stronghold locations. I'll keep an open mind though, haven't played it enough yet. 

Maybe it's the scrub in me, but I wish there were still plenty of BRs on the maps. 

As opposed to the Rocket Launcher's "point at baddy and shoot"? But hey, keep trying to discredit our points with blanket statements.

Though considering your responses, I do have to ask. How often do you use the Hydra?

There are 4 rockets at a time. They don't lock on. They're only good at close-medium range. Long range rockets are mostly ineffective, and you actually have to think of the right time to shoot the rockets due to thrust. I really can't believe people are defending a weapon that is literally a lock on gun. If I went to before H5 was announced and said that there would be a weapon that locks on and is a two shot kill everyone would be in uproar. Why in H5 are people so accepting of these aids weapons. Caster, Hydra and fuel rod should not be in competitive settings.

I pick up the hydra sometimes it is a pretty simple weapon to use, but I mostly ignore out of protest at how cancerous it is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

How many maps still have the rail gun on them? I haven't liked the rail gun for competitive play from the get-go. Way too OP, in my opinion.

Maybe it could be viable if the ammo count was dropped or something, but I really just dislike the weapon as a whole. It's too easy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets see.... I would rather the hill in Plaza be bigger, small bottom mid hills just do not work, when you can ricochet grenades off of every corner...Truth Flag has just been butchered with the fuel rod and hydra...why the hydra!? Eden Strongholds needs to keep the hill top cat, I like the red bend hill though. Not sure about Empire strongholds yet. But more so i'm confused at the timing of all this. Isn't an online qualifier this saturday? Granted they kept custom maps untouched, but not every team can get on and scrim whenever you want. 343 always seems to do something so randomly out of the blue, and I feel it causes more problems then solution, I won't be playing much MM until this "preview" is gone.

I love it when they change the normal arena playlist out of nowhere to a test [email protected] THX BRAV N QUINN

But on a more serious note... why not just have two desperate playlists, and have the test playlist give bonus REQ/XP or some shit to give more of an incentive to play it. I am not sure what is going through 343's head when they make these decisions 

Not enough opinions from a large enough swath of the community if you do that.  We have been asking for the Arena playlist to mirror the HCS settings and now it appears they are doing that, so we should complain about it as little as possible :) 

Weapons that are literally only used to spam at the wall/floor and hope for a kill are not weapons that should be in competitive settings.

In its current form i agree, but we need to hold judgement on this until we see how the buffed caster (and hydra) will play out.  A little patience will go a long way when it comes to making any judgement about the Caster or Hydra changes.

Imagine if we still had a grenade launcher instead of a plasma caster

This ^^ would be interesting

lol. By positioning do you mean sit far back and literally lock on to people. Can't take that statement seriously. The caster can be used for some more interesting kills, but in pro games on rig for example it is just used to spam engine or bunker with 5 mini frags. Obnoxious and stupid weapon concept.

Its original intention, as 343 noted, was to be used as an 'Area of denial' weapon which it did a pretty piss poor job of given how weak and awkward it is.  With the buff that is coming, it might actually move into the "Power weapon" category which is a good thing. You might actually be able to get kill with it by aiming instead of just shooting straight into the ground in "oh shit!!" situations.  The problem will be with ammo capacity.  If the buff is too strong, they'll need to reduce the ammo.  Again, we need to take a "wait and see" attitude until after the TU drops and we get to play with it for a while.  The update better drop soon though so we have enough time to get a feel for it before they lock in the changes....

Its original intention, as 343 noted, was to be used as an 'Area of denial' weapon which it did a pretty piss poor job of given how weak and awkward it is.  With the buff that is coming, it might actually move into the "Power weapon" category which is a good thing. You might actually be able to get kill with it by aiming instead of just shooting straight into the ground in "oh shit!!" situations.  The problem will be with ammo capacity.  If the buff is too strong, they'll need to reduce the ammo.  Again, we need to take a "wait and see" attitude until after the TU drops and we get to play with it for a while.  The update better drop soon though so we have enough time to get a feel for it before they lock in the changes....

No. Weapons that lock on to people like that should not be in competitive settings. No change to the weapon is going to change my opinion. These weapons are dumb by design.

There are 4 rockets at a time. They don't lock on. They're only good at close-medium range. Long range rockets are mostly ineffective, and you actually have to think of the right time to shoot the rockets due to thrust. I really can't believe people are defending a weapon that is literally a lock on gun. If I went to before H5 was announced and said that there would be a weapon that locks on and is a two shot kill everyone would be in uproar. Why in H5 are people so accepting of these aids weapons. Caster, Hydra and fuel rod should not be in competitive settings.

I pick up the hydra sometimes it is a pretty simple weapon to use, but I mostly ignore out of protest at how cancerous it is.

Interesting that you don't downvote me when you give a response, but you do when you provide non.  :salt:

• Downvote (-1) 4

I mean we can't even decide if sprint is good or bad or does radar belong in competitive, it does raise an interesting question though at what point do things have to get to before everyone supports a movement like this, what decisions do 343 have to make to unite this community, it is interesting to me at least.

So i will repeat the entire COD community can rally behind this movement but ours cannot even agree on sprint  and radar 

I think people are much more complacent and apologetic about competitive settings when 343 are paying for tournaments and prize pools.  Ultimately I assume most people don't want to rock the boat and would rather be grateful for not playing agl tournaments.

Unless it's some horrendous gameplay (breakout) or something just far too bizarre (two binaries on coliseum), I wouldn't expect to see a major push for anything from the community.  

• Upvote (+1) 5

Haven't got around to playing but after just watching Kampy play Plaza Strongholds I noticed that the stronghold setup is now nearly identical to Overgrowth.

Overgrowth - Blue

Plaza - Cafe

Overgrowth - Bottom Mid

Plaza - Bottom Mid/U Turn

Overgrowth - Tram

Plaza - Tram (Junction)

It seems like 343 realized a lot of people liked Strongholds in Overgrowth but at the same time a lot of people hated Overgrowth in general, so they put it's stronghold setup on Plaza.

I'm also happy that Plaza's GIGANTIC cheesy bottom mid hill is gone.

Yep I pointed this out when I played Plaza Strongholds, it's pretty much just like Overgrowth.

Glass Control and Cinema Loft are now very, very good, and the Hotel Nerd-Ledge got a pretty big nerf.

No. Weapons that lock on to people like that should not be in competitive settings. No change to the weapon is going to change my opinion. These weapons are dumb by design.

I fail to see your argument here.... the part you quoted is referring to the plasma caster? Which doesn't lock onto anything?

Look, i don't disagree that the Hydra is a poorly conceived weapon.  I don't like it either but i am not willing to make a blanket statement about it until i actually play the game with the new version of it.  If its good enough to encourage teams to fight over it, and that adds enough to the competitive strategy of the game to make it worthwhile then its fine.  Otherwise i agree it should be removed entirely HOWEVER, lets play with the new version first shall we?  Even seemingly minor tweaks can make big changes in real-world play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Rocket Launcher throughout competitive Halo history is the very definition of "Fire and Forget." It has been the staple easy kill weapon for the longest time, even if its power is weakened in bigger maps. But we're not talking about BTB maps; we're talking about its uses in the 2v2 and 4v4 environment. And you know what? It's pretty easy to use if you're not a fidgety moron.

Next on that list of explosives is the Fuel Rod. Now this gun is a huge 180 to the Rockets. It has more ammo, but takes more finesse and accuracy to kill someone with it because of the weaker splash damage. Granted, you can dunk the enemy team if you remain CQC with it, but there's still more aiming involved than the Rockets in those kind of situations, and you know why? You can't kill your target in one shot if it isn't a head-on collision. That gives me the idea that the Fuel Rod takes a bit more thinking to use correctly than the Rocket Launcher. How 'bout that.

Plasma Caster, hoo boy. This gun is basically a poor man's Grenade Launcher, but it still gets the job done. You can be completely careless with it and pump all your blue balls all over the floor like a hamster panic-shitting on itself, or you can be cunning with it and predict enemy movement like an assassin. That stark contrast I've seen from separate players have led me to believe that some people understand it, and some people don't. But y'know what? That isn't the same deal with the Rocket Launcher.

And now we have the Hydra. I'll be honest, I think you're a fat liar when you say that you think the gun is easy, but then avoid it because you think it's "cancer." If it was so easy to use, why has there not been more players using it? The lock-on function along with spray fire gives this gun a very interesting niche, and has a learning curve that very few known people around here have mastered. And now it's getting a well deserved splash buff, which will only make the gun more deadly. And, needless to add, it still will be more difficult to use than the Rocket Launcher.

I would like to give you the opportunity to voice your thoughts on mine.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The Rocket Launcher throughout competitive Halo history is the very definition of "Fire and Forget." It has been the staple easy kill weapon for the longest time, even if its power is weakened in bigger maps. But we're not talking about BTB maps; we're talking about its uses in the 2v2 and 4v4 environment. And you know what? It's pretty easy to use if you're not a fidgety moron.

Next on that list of explosives is the Fuel Rod. Now this gun is a huge 180 to the Rockets. It has more ammo, but takes more finesse and accuracy to kill someone with it because of the weaker splash damage. Granted, you can dunk the enemy team if you remain CQC with it, but there's still more aiming involved than the Rockets in those kind of situations, and you know why? You can't kill your target in one shot if it isn't a head-on collision. That gives me the idea that the Fuel Rod takes a bit more thinking to use correctly than the Rocket Launcher. How 'bout that.

Plasma Caster, hoo boy. This gun is basically a poor man's Grenade Launcher, but it still gets the job done. You can be completely careless with it and pump all your blue balls all over the floor like a hamster panic-shitting on itself, or you can be cunning with it and predict enemy movement like an assassin. That stark contrast I've seen from separate players have led me to believe that some people understand it, and some people don't. But y'know what? That isn't the same deal with the Rocket Launcher.

And now we have the Hydra. I'll be honest, I think you're a fat liar when you say that you think the gun is easy, but then avoid it because you think it's "cancer." If it was so easy to use, why has there not been more players using it? The lock-on function along with spray fire gives this gun a very interesting niche, and has a learning curve that very few known people around here have mastered. And now it's getting a well deserved splash buff, which will only make the gun more deadly. And, needless to add, it still will be more difficult to use than the Rocket Launcher.

I would like to give you the opportunity to voice your thoughts on mine.

The rocket launcher is an easy kill, but there are factors that make it differ from Fuel/Caster, such as there is only 4 of them at one time (in h5), and you actually have to think about when to fire it due to thrust. Just look at pro games and see the amount of times people with rockets get shafted, because they get out-manoeuvred.  

The fuel is a different story, because you have 5 to use, and no amount of mechanical skill is going to stop you from getting spammed. The fuel is mostly used in competitive as like a plasma pistol on steroids, mostly used to remove shields for easy clean-ups. Most people agree that the fuel is dumb, I am not in a minority on this.

As I believe I said earlier the caster can be used to get some pretty cool kills, but if you watch anything from random MM - pro play it is mostly used to shoot at the floor, and hope for the best. It's just a mini-frag dispenser. The grenade launcher can be used for the same purpose, but it actually takes a modicum of skill to use.

The hydra is literally a lock on weapon. That is indefensible for competitive play.  There is nothing to master about having to point the gun in the air after LOCKING ON and spamming it and hope for the best. Everyone in plat and above knows how to use the Hydra effectively. I have yet to see a pro play with the hydra launcher that a slightly above average player could not pull off.

The majorities opinions on so many of the issues facing H5s settings are saddening to see. 

I fail to see your argument here.... the part you quoted is referring to the plasma caster? Which doesn't lock onto anything?

Look, i don't disagree that the Hydra is a poorly conceived weapon.  I don't like it either but i am not willing to make a blanket statement about it until i actually play the game with the new version of it.  If its good enough to encourage teams to fight over it, and that adds enough to the competitive strategy of the game to make it worthwhile then its fine.  Otherwise i agree it should be removed entirely HOWEVER, lets play with the new version first shall we?  Even seemingly minor tweaks can make big changes in real-world play.

yeah the new version that makes it even more obnoxious. I am sure this is going to make it better.

I've been watching a lot of pro Halo lately, but not actually playing myself. I didn't play enough (and I'm not good enough) before the changes to really give an opinion on whether or not it is better now. Finally picked up the control again today and played a few games, man I forgot how much fun Halo is, even when you are stuck running solo. 

I guess I'll toss out one opinion (which seems to be a popular one), the Fathom changes are terrible. 

I've been watching a lot of pro Halo lately, but not actually playing myself. I didn't play enough (and I'm not good enough) before the changes to really give an opinion on whether or not it is better now. Finally picked up the control again today and played a few games, man I forgot how much fun Halo is, even when you are stuck running solo. 

I guess I'll toss out one opinion (which seems to be a popular one), the Fathom changes are terrible. 

What do you not like about them?

The SAW, speed boost, new platforms on red/blue silo?

Let us know.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How many maps still have the rail gun on them? I haven't liked the rail gun for competitive play from the get-go. Way too OP, in my opinion.

Maybe it could be viable if the ammo count was dropped or something, but I really just dislike the weapon as a whole. It's too easy.

Railgun is still on Rig Strongholds

Stasis is asymmetrical and will be played with CTF :wutface:

It's also pretty much torque but less shitier

hmm some of these changes are interesting.

Plaza- I love the new over shield placement. Forces the map to be more dynamic, rather than easily holding best side. For strongholds, I like the cafe and tram hills. I think the locations of camo and bottom mid strongholds should be swapped (so nest stronghold reverts back to original location and camo can go u-turn)

Eden- Blue side is way too easy to hold for slayer now. The light rifle to red bend and removal of red bend battle rifle makes it tough to break the blue side setup. For strongholds, I think the red nest to red bend change is good. Not a fan of the bottom mid stronghold, I feel like it can make tower control completely irrelevant. I think it should be moved back to catwalk.

Truth- I love the battle rifle, storm rifle, and smg changes. Besides that, I thought the map was good in its previous state.

What do you not like about them?

The SAW, speed boost, new platforms on red/blue silo?

Let us know.

My biggest gripe is the speed boost. I don't mind the saw too much, but I do feel like the map was more interesting with camo (even though it seemed rare players actually made it out alive with it). I also miss the rail gun. It seems like I've seen a lot of complaints about it lately, but I'm a big fan of it. I feel based on the charge time and having to track your enemy it is a great power weapon for smaller maps where rockets/fuel rod would be too strong and too easy. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

So is Coliseum.

And midship, and sanc, and pit, etc.. As long as each teams 'side' of the map is mirrored off eachother it can work. Guardian or riptide is my example of an asymmetrical map.

And midship, and sanc, and pit, etc.. As long as each teams 'side' of the map is mirrored off eachother it can work. Guardian or riptide is my example of an asymmetrical map.

All of those maps have 1 axis of symmetry.
  • Upvote (+1) 4