CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

1. Adds depth to the sandbox so Halo doesn't regress into a one-gun game.

2. Unified settings bring in casual viewership and improve playlist population retention.

3. Puts emphasis on making decisions over executing needlessly difficult moves--this is widely accepted philosophy among modern fighting game designers, just as valid for shooters as MOBA character balance philosophy.

4. Balances Spartan Abilities.

5. Makes dodging shots harder, increasing the skill gap.

6. The AR was a starting weapon in Halo CE, so Halo 5 is actually going back to its roots.

7. If you couldn't tell, everything in this post was a satirical take on actual arguments I've seen.

The rage was building up inside while reading these. Thank god I made it to #7 or I'd probably be banned right now lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry, I skimmed your post and thought you were serious and dropped the neg. apologies. 

The rage was building up inside while reading these. Thank god I made it to #7 or I'd probably be banned right now lol.

I don't know how anyone could have taken that post seriously in the slightest, considering who it was coming from. I immediately knew it was satire haha.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eden Refresh

Weapons:

Suppressor moved to Red Nest

Light Rifle moved to Red Bend

Plasma Pistol moved to Outside Cover

Strongholds:

New Strongholds: Red Bend, Blue Bend, Bottom Mid

OS in Pit

Camo same spot

Plasma Caster in Tower

Rockets removed

Eden Refresh

Weapons:

Suppressor moved to Red Nest

Light Rifle moved to Red Bend

Plasma Pistol moved to Outside Cover

Strongholds:

New Strongholds: Red Bend, Blue Bend, Bottom Mid

OS in Pit

Camo same spot

Plasma Caster in Tower

Rockets removed

Strongholds change SUCKS.

Why move them at all? Literally one half of the map won't even be used now, and all it does is quell decision making because holding blue or red bend gives you the same result.

-I'd be up for testing oddball in place of assault.

-Definitely agree with most on the no radar and no automatic starts all though some should still be available for use.

-I'd be more than thrilled to have a vetoe system similar to h3.

-I could see there being no sprint with increased movement speed which will also remove the spartan charge.

-I would also like to see more community made maps being tested whether they're remakes or something made from their own creativity, sorry but the maps 343 keep providing us are hot butt butter.

It is really disheartening reading the hcs pro league thread and seeing so many people try to defend radar or tell others we should be complacent about settings because 343 won't change them.  I already stopped playing halo 5 but those people are making me want to stop watching it.  When I first started following competitive in Halo I found it entertaining because the settings were meant to be so much harder than default.  Now the modus operandi is settling for less because 343 is paying for everything. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 has become so stale. How does Halo keep fucking up year after year? It makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No radar would make this game much more interesting to watch at the highest levels. For regular play, I think it would bring better balance to autos.

Not a huge fan of any ability, but I would like to see Spartan Charge outright removed. Mainly for regular play, as it doesn't seem to be used at the pro level.

That double jump in pre-beta testing would of been much better than the clamber option. Clambering seems too forced and necessary in most cases to traverse maps in any meaningful/sneaky way. It also penalizes creative map movement, as you have to now waste frames on clambering. 

Crouch speed seemed fine, and faster than previous iterations of Halo. Not sure why they are increasing it.. 

343 is great a some things, and terrible at others. They change too many things that weren't broken. IE Overtime no longer being sudden death victory. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No radar would make this game much more interesting to watch at the highest levels. For regular play, I think it would bring better balance to autos.

Not a huge fan of any ability, but I would like to see Spartan Charge outright removed. Mainly for regular play, as it doesn't seem to be used at the pro level.

That double jump in pre-beta testing would of been much better than the clamber option. Clambering seems too forced and necessary in most cases to traverse maps in any meaningful/sneaky way. It also penalizes creative map movement, as you have to now waste frames on clambering. 

Crouch speed seemed fine, and faster than previous iterations of Halo. Not sure why they are increasing it.. 

343 is great a some things, and terrible at others. They change too many things that weren't broken. IE Overtime no longer being sudden death victory. 

Nothing is going to be changed until after this season, but the thing is it might be too late for them. People will move onto better games that are coming out this year. I agree with everything, but the double jump we need to stay away from that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing is going to be changed until after this season, but the thing is it might be too late for them. People will move onto better games that are coming out this year. I agree with everything, but the double jump we need to stay away from that.

Yeah I only mentioned double jump as an alternative to clamber. I'd ultimately prefer neither. 

It's unfortunate there wasn't a stronger push to change settings in the beginning, but I guess people were too concerned with dev support and not rocking the boat. I expected to see TB hosting tournies pushing more ideal settings, but I understand their reasoning for not straying from the HCS standard. Sadly, we aren't going to see any change without TB leading the way. As was the case with the removal of Breakout. 

like...

no radar?

Map updates, new gametypes (assault).

Wouldn't expect no radar.

Map updates, new gametypes (assault).

Wouldn't expect no radar.

k, just the norm then

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the radar isn't turned off I don't give two shits, and flying fuck.

If the radar isn't turned off I don't give two shits, and flying fuck.

I have a small feeling even if they turned off radar, you still wouldn't give two shits, or a flying fuck.

Just a small feeling, though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a small feeling even if they turned off radar, you still wouldn't give two shits, or a flying fuck.

same.

No but serious when is this update? Team Arena is going to be official HCS gametypes now right?