CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I think the Pistol either needs to be a 4SK **or** remain a 5sk, but take less body shots to kill. Need to keep rifles in mind when making changes to the Pistol. There still needs to be a reason to pick up the BR and DMR

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the Pistol either needs to be a 4SK **or** remain a 5sk, but take less body shots to kill. Need to keep rifles in mind when making changes to the Pistol. There still needs to be a reason to pick up the BR and DMR

Fewer body shots to kill is the biggest reason to pick up the DMR though. Buffing bodyshots on the pistol renders the DMR obsolete outside of BTB.

IMO people would still pick up the BR for ease-of-use reasons even if the pistol was 4sk with the current RoF. Let alone the 4sk /w slightly faster kill time that people are suggesting.

Personally, the biggest reason I support 4sk pistol is ammo. I run out of pistol almost once a game, and that was a rare occurrence with the primary of any other Halo. Cancelling out imbalanced autos and giving the pistol a better chance of out-shooting rifles are just bonuses to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I shouldn't have used the word skill in hindsight. I meant it adds a new layer of strategy that teams can employ, much like what El Town did on that one Eden SH match against Denial (I think?). You say 'unfair cascading advantanges,' I say it's advanced strategy that, obviously, gives your team an advantage. Saying it's unfair is shortsighted, imo.

I've been watching and playing Halo from the very beginning, so I'm aware of how it used to be. I wasn't really a fan of it then, I'm not a fan of the idea now. Just a personal nitpick, I guess. To each their own.

Please explain to me the logic behind having the tier 3 power weapons such as the rockets and sniper be on a static timers but not have the power-ups be on static timers as well. Aren't they both important items for teams to control? Shouldn't both teams able to have equal amounts of information of when they are spawning because they're power items just like rockets and the sniper are? Are power-ups not important enough to be put on static timers as well?

All this does is confuses players. We need power-ups and power weapons to be both on static timers for clarity and consistency. 343 needs to decide between one or the other for power items. Either choose static timers for power items or choose dynamic timers for power items. Don't have both because that just confuses players and creates a clarity issue. 343 wants the game to be more accessible for newcomers but they are constantly doing things that overcomplicates the game and confuses players.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Please explain to me the logic behind having the tier 3 power weapons such as the rockets and sniper be on a static timers but not have the power-ups be on static timers as well. Aren't they both important items for teams to control? Shouldn't both teams able to have equal amounts of information of when they spawning because they're power items just like rockets and the sniper are? Are power-ups not important enough to be put on static timers as well?

All this does is confuses players. We need power-ups and power weapons to be both on static timers for clarity and consistency. 343 needs to do decide between one or the other for power items. Either choose static timers for power items or choose dynamic timers for power items. Don't have both because that just confuses players and creates a clarity issue. 343 wants the game to be more accessible for newcomers but they are constantly doing things that overcomplicates the game and confuses players.

I couldn't tell you the logic of having them different, you'd have to ask 343. I always preferred being able to dirty the respawn of power weapons rather than having them spawn on a timer. I agree with you that they should be the same, I just much prefer dynamic timing vs static.

Taking out radar is the very first thing I would do for any halo game's competitive settings. I would like to see one good argument in its favor.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Taking out radar is the very first thing I would do for any halo game's competitive settings. I would like to see one good argument in its favor.

Halo 5's maps and movement abilities make the game much more chaotic, therefore making radar necessary, is what some people are saying.

On the other hand, it could make flanking and sneaky plays much more effective.

We won't really know until someone tries it.

or until spartan abilities are removed from the game

who said that?

My list of improvements I would make:

• Remove Pegasus completely.
  • Decrease the weighting on Overgrowth and Riptide. 
  • Increase the weighting on Truth and Coliseum.
  • To4s vs To4s, To3s vs To3s, and mixed solo/To2s vs mixed solo/To2s with looser matchmaking restrictions.
  • Make the ability to be knocked out of a division after a certain number of losses at the lowest rank in the division.
  • Remove MMR matchmaking from Social Playlist.

I would love to see those last 3 that I bolded. They are very important to me and I hope they get on it soon.

After playing assault for a while, I wouldn't mind if the flagnum got scrapped.

I still think that the Ball should spawn in the center of the map. Teammate scored on Fathom, the next ball spawns their treehouse and we ran that in again. 

Halo 5's maps and movement abilities make the game much more chaotic, therefore making radar necessary, is what some people are saying.

On the other hand, it could make flanking and sneaky plays much more effective.

We won't really know until someone tries it.

or until spartan abilities are removed from the game

who said that?

Thats my argument for the removal of radar, is that yes the radar may only be 18 m but that is essentially useless anyway and you still have to use your awareness.

My argument is that if thats the case then really it hinders the gameplay at times because it leads to people crouching instead of moving therefore canceling the spartan abilities which are meant to speed up pace.

TLDR: It doesnt add enough to be there

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just played a 1v1 with the CE pistol and it honestly isn't that crazy of a game changer. It felt better to me than the 5 shot pistol. Idk what you guys think about it being the primary weapon but I would vote for it personally.

HCS only:

-Remove radar x100

-Increase pistol to 4sk or use BR starts and eliminate the pistol completely. One of the two, preferably the former.

-Cut the sandbox down to the following and only the following:

• Pistol (4sk) [or BR]
  • SMG
  • Plasma Pistol (only on maps w/ overshield)
  • Storm Rifle*
  • LightRifle
  • Scattershot
  • Sniper Rifle
  • Rockets
  • Railgun
  • Sword
  • Powerups

(haven't actually played with the CE pistol yet but from what I'm reading it's anniversary magnum part II)

* - Add stun. They added the H2 BR and H1 pistol to the game, surely a plasma weapon with stun can't be that far behind. Or fuck it, just add the H1 plasma rifle.

-I was going to suggest ball and bomb gametypes (Rig ball, Fathom bomb in particular), but since the carrier gets 2 THRUSTS when everyone else gets 1, then nevermind... what is so difficult about just releasing a straight, gimmick-free objective gametype???

-Maps.... Truthplex is awful and a far cry from Midship. Kick it to the curb already and use Regret for all the Midshippy stuff (with a weapon set that more closely resembles the beta version). Empire needs to go as well, or be completely reworked weapons-wise. Overgrowth needs weapons tweaking, and will probably never work for slayer, but I think ball has some hope. Plaza needs rockets bottom mid. Idea for Coliseum - move rockets down below, put damage boost up top, put SMGs on the pedestals at each corner.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-(Not sure if this one belongs here, but fix the aiming)

-Remove radar

-Remove footstep sounds

-Drastically lower the bullet magnetism for the whole sandbox

-Buff Pistol to 4sk, increase the RRR

-Put power-ups on static 1 minute timers

-Increase FOV (this one might not belong here either, but it's still pretty important)

-Remove grenade hit markers

-Increase both strafe and movement acceleration to the maximum setting (130%)

-Remove all rifles (BR's, DMR's, LR's, CC's) from competitive Arena maps and replace them with Pistols, the rifles are entirely redundant as we already spawn with a utility weapon

-Buff Active Camo to prevent players from being revealed by just walking over small bumps at normal base speed and using lifts/man cannons

-Heavily nerf the Storm Rifle's damage to health

-Remove SMG's from all maps, it is entirely redundant with the AR

-Remove Smart Scope spread buffs on all automatic weapons

-Remove crouching spread buffs on all automatic weapons

-Remove headshot bonuses on all automatics weapons

-Lower the Sniper's respawn time to 90 seconds, reduce the ammo

-Increase Sniper's ROF (which would be justified after a large magnetism reduction combined with H5's fast movement)

-Buff the Plasma Caster's charged shot

-Lower Spartan Charge distance and remove its tracking

-Reduce Splinter Grenade's AOE

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just played a 1v1 with the CE pistol and it honestly isn't that crazy of a game changer. It felt better to me than the 5 shot pistol. Idk what you guys think about it being the primary weapon but I would vote for it personally.

What are the kill times between the two pistols? 

What are the kill times between the two pistols? 

Not 100% sure, but if you got shot first by the normal pistol that guy usually won the fight

Testing settings now. CTF, Slayer, Bomb, and Strongholds.

-CE pistol starts

-No Radar

Msg StK Mudkip for an invite.

Please explain to me the logic behind having the tier 3 power weapons such as the rockets and sniper be on a static timers but not have the power-ups be on static timers as well. Aren't they both important items for teams to control? Shouldn't both teams able to have equal amounts of information of when they are spawning because they're power items just like rockets and the sniper are? Are power-ups not important enough to be put on static timers as well?

All this does is confuses players. We need power-ups and power weapons to be both on static timers for clarity and consistency. 343 needs to decide between one or the other for power items. Either choose static timers for power items or choose dynamic timers for power items. Don't have both because that just confuses players and creates a clarity issue. 343 wants the game to be more accessible for newcomers but they are constantly doing things that overcomplicates the game and confuses players.

I couldn't tell you the logic of having them different, you'd have to ask 343. I always preferred being able to dirty the respawn of power weapons rather than having them spawn on a timer. I agree with you that they should be the same, I just much prefer dynamic timing vs static.

Gotcha fam.

Dynamic Powerup timers allow varied gameplay throughout the match, rather than having the exact same weapon cycle occur 4 times in a row. This is essentially the reason Sniper and Rockets varied the way they are. One minute with Rocks, one with Snipe, then one with both of them up at the same time.

To put it into perspective the best I'll use MOBA analogies. Let's say we are on Eden Strongholds.

Early Game: Rockets and Powerups Spawn at 12:00, after the second cycle, Rockets will still be up and OS/Camo are relatively predictable because they only show up a few seconds after the Static. Easily predictable even for the team that didn't grab them.

Mid Game: Rockets spawn at 8:00, but Powerups are slowly becoming more delayed (even more so by the second cycle). This means that the focus at the start of the cycle is primarily on Rockets, whereas at the beginning of the game, people had their attention on three different items. Now everyone is looking at Rockets. Mid-game is also when players are rewarded for recording times.

Late Game: The end of match is already hectic in and of itself, and the weapon cycles reward players who can maintain composure. Players are rewarded for remembering their times, etc. In addition, Rockets and Powerups are now very separated. They could even be spawning an entire minute apart, which is much more different than the beginning of the game.

If everything is Static, then you are just playing the same game every 2 minutes – back to back to back to back. Dynamic Powerups allow a certain level of predictability while artificially shifting the meta game and how players place resources and dictate map flow.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Three things:

Buff Pistol ROF, 1 second kill time.

Nerf Storm Rifle Health Damage

Nerf Assault Rifle Shield Damage

Done.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Three things:

Buff Pistol ROF, 1 second kill time.

Nerf Storm Rifle Health Damage

Nerf Assault Rifle Shield Damage

Done.  :simms:

While an increased ROF would increase the dexterity required to achieve the minimum kill time, wouldn't it also make the weapon more spammy and make misses less punishing? It also would still have the issue of having less than 3 kills per clip.

I think 4sk to the head and 7sk to the body with the same ROF is perfect, since you have to be much more accurate with it to kill faster than the rifles, which gives them a place in the sandbox without crippling the utility weapon. It also achieves a perfect killtime of 0.9, which is a happy median considering how much easier it is to use than Halo Ce's Pistol.

Anyone still running games with CE pistol starts? Wouldn't mind playing a few more.

Anyone still running games with CE pistol starts? Wouldn't mind playing a few more.

Yeah, CE Pistol starts was actually pretty fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What does everyone think about the power weapon changes on Riptide (Hydra where Fuel Rod spawned) and Overgrowth (Needler instead of Sword)?

Do these changes make the maps more competitive and balanced? And most importantly, not completely infuriating to play?

Thruster also needs to allow weapon fire.

Normally I'd say "throw the abilities out the window" but my feedback in grounded in what I see 343 realistically doing.

I was on board with this idea for a while (particularly before launch) to enhance the combative/offensive use of the ability, but I think that, given the short length of the thrust itself, to allow shooting while using the Thruster Pack (with a no aim assist/bullet magnetism trade-off) would confer a greater advantage to automatic weapons than precision weapons as a result of differences in rate-of-fire and their shot intervals and thus exacerbate current issues with automatic weapons in Halo 5's sandbox. I would rather see the time interval for which one cannot shoot while employing the Thruster Pack be tuned to equal the shot interval of the game's utility/starting weapon (which should be a 4sk Magnum, with an ever so slightly longer shot interval than the current iteration and reduced bullet magnetism [which is an issue across the sandbox]) in light of the above, which would also accentuate the act of 'Thrust Cancelling.'

However, I would still like to see (at least for testing/experimentation purposes) the ability to shoot while sprinting (with a no aim assist/bullet magnetism trade-off) introduced, perhaps with a slight damage reduction for automatic weapons to address the differing extent to which no aim assist/bullet magnetism would impact such weapons in comparison to those of the precision variety.

• Upvote (+1) 1