CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

That's his point. In a vacuum, the Pistol gets completely demolished by every other weapon, but for in-game situations it trumps a lot of the sandbox.

I'm fairly certain that that is not what he meant lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very interested in this train of thought. What do they like about the competitive settings thats unique to H5? 

Every game has it's Pros and Cons, people love/hate each one for different reasons. For Halo 5 in specific I'd say this is the reason people enjoy it competitively:

• Well Designed Maps (Bountiful at that, H2/3 only had 3-4 good maps each at launch)
  • Competent Utility Weapon Compared to H3
  • Higher Individual Skill Gap because of Strafe, Thrust, Movement Skill Gap, Lower Aim Assist, etc.
  • Weapon Diversity/Meta (while this is highly debatable, the game does make you think a lot more in terms of strategy)

I'm not denying that H5 definitely has stuff that needs to be improved upon (Radar, Storm Rifle placements, Sniper ease of use, AR Strength) but there are redeeming qualities that people enjoy about this game.

I actually disagree with this list. Almost positive far more people enjoyed Halo 2 and Halo 3's competitive settings.

• What maps? The only well designed maps in Halo 5 imo are Truth and Coliseum. The average engagement time is significantly longer on majority of the maps in the game and furthermore, maps like Plaza and The Rig both have very "snowbally" type play-styles. We saw this in the PAX event when the games were extremely close throughout the series except Plaza Strongholds where one team would get set up and then just dominate because of how easily you can control Yard spawns. I would much rather play Midship, Warlock, Beaver Creek, Sanctuary any day of the week. The only map in H2 that had this kind of issue was Team Slayer Lockout. Oddball Lockout on the other hand played much better because it weakened the BR setup by having to have one person hold the ball. Furthermore, a big complaint that I've seen since this game came out is the abundance of standoffs... Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a Midship standoff? Haha Beyond%20Laugh.png  
  • Kind of agree/disagree; Halo 3's BR was ass for sure (agree), but I will point out the Halo 3's BR was slightly more balanced to scale around the game where as the H5 pistol is rather ass compared to the rest of the sandbox.
  • H5 has one of the highest aim assists' in the series lol. I go back and play CE and H2 all the time and I can assuredly dodge shots better than H5. The only thing that makes it difficult in this game is the ass aiming and the thrust, which I assuredly don't equate to skill by seeing people slam the X button the second they get shot. Now, I've seen people like Suspector for example, use it in ways that I would equate to skill, but it's more of a crutch than a skill based utility imo. I would say people use it more in my context than we do out of Suspector's, which is where I draw that opinion.
  • I've found quite the opposite. Sure there are some people that definitely like the options but I've felt like majority of people in this game I've spoken to and myself personally found it more frustrating. You literally have to think about dying in EVERY possible situation to SA's, Storm Rifle/SMG/AR, keep tabs on player movement, shortcuts, etc. and it turns into big convoluted Rock-Paper-Scissors type game where most of the times it's not even the guns that determine the outcome. I'm more worried about Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, and Thrust than I am about the Pistol in this game. When I'm not even bothered by the main utility weapon in comparison to almost everything else in the game in an FPS, I think there's an issue. Which kind of circles back to my second bullet point.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

I still can't believe how ridiculous Spartan Charge is in this game.  I didn't play a lot of the Beta, but I'm told it was actually balanced well in the Beta.  I just think it's so dumb how you can't dodge it by thrusting backwards or jumping over it.  And it's especially dumb how quickly you can shoot after doing one, and how few shots it takes to kill after hitting one.  Far too often it rewards the guy who just sprints around and doesn't even know where the enemy is.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I still can't believe how ridiculous Spartan Charge is in this game.  I didn't play a lot of the Beta, but I'm told it was actually balanced well in the Beta.  I just think it's so dumb how you can't dodge it by thrusting backwards or jumping over it.  And it's especially dumb how quickly you can shoot after doing one, and how few shots it takes to kill after hitting one.  Far too often it rewards the guy who just sprints around and doesn't even know where the enemy is.

Seems like there were a lot of complaints that ground pound and spartan charge weren't powerful enough during the beta.

Ground Pound/Spartan Charge shouldn't even be in the game, period. Same with splinter nades.

Seems like there were a lot of complaints that ground pound and spartan charge weren't powerful enough during the beta.

In 343's defense, I feel like they nailed ground pound in this game.  It's fun to use and I feel it's risk/reward is appropriately balanced.  Spartan Charge on the other hand...

• Upvote (+1) 3

New Radar suggestion:  Other that removing it (which would be ideal obviously)

But if 343 wanted to keep radar in for casuals and to keep playlists and gametypes similar, my suggestion is to have radar only show players who are sprinting.  Players walking/running at "normal" spartan speed will no longer show up on radar, same as players crouching.

This essentially does a few things:

1. It would keep playlists and setting more similar for the population as a whole.

2. Crouching would have a much less incentive since you will be able to move around faster and still not show up on radar.

3. In a way Nerfs sprinting and gives less incentive to sprint since yes, you will get to battles quicker, but now this would be the only way you would show up on radar and in turn give up your positioning.  This point also creates a new "meta" if you want to call it that, where it becomes a skill knowing when to sprint, when not to give up your position, flank etc.

What is everyone thoughts on this idea?  Once again, this is what I would like to see happen IF 343 is not willing to remove radar from the game, or atleast HCS settings

After the invitational this weekend my thoughts are:

• remove radar (always felt this way)
  • nerf SMG massively (always felt this way)
  • nerf storm rifle massively (always felt this way)
  • nerf AR (always felt this way)
  • remove splinter grenades (new)
  • nerf spartan charge (always felt this way)
  • nerf railgun massively (new)
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Some stuff doesn't need nerfing necessarily, it just needs making less common or harder to use. 

- Sniper and rail need to be made harder to use

- Storm and SMG need to be less common

- The AR is ok in damage probably. Needs a range nerf though. 

- Splinter grenades are awful and should go.

- Radar has to go

Some of this stuff was so obviously necessary pre release but I just can't see them tweaking or removing splinter grenades, touching radar or tweaking weapon stats such as aim assist or damage. The really sad thing is some of this stuff could be changed by us and the game would probably be the most competitive Halo we've had since h1 if we were making the settings. That's not to say I think us making the settings would be good for the competitive scene. Halo, like most eSport titles requires developer support, and when you're in bed with the developer you don't get to choose your settings! 

H6 will be interesting, Infinity's narrative about 343's direction being an encouraging one in terms of the competitive viability of default settings but that's never going to reach to removing things like sprint or radar so with them deciding settings we're always going to have a slightly hamstrung game. 

After the invitational this weekend my thoughts are:

• remove radar (always felt this way)
  • nerf SMG massively (always felt this way)
  • nerf storm rifle massively (always felt this way)
  • nerf AR (always felt this way)
  • remove splinter grenades (new)
  • nerf spartan charge (always felt this way)
  • nerf railgun massively (new)

I'll be the first one to say I hate the Rail Gun with a burning passion. Can't stand it haha. But that being said I don't think it needs a massive nerf. The only thing I would get rid of is the ridiculous splash damage on it and then revert back the hit scan that they added a couple patches ago. The Rail Gun buff was completely unnecessary and the fact that it does splash damage or even hurt me as it flies past me is ridiculous.

Everything else you said, 100% agree.

- remove walking from showing on radar (all spartan abilities will show)*

- nerf railgun (increase minimum charge time, rather than decrease damage)*

- nerf splinter nades or remove from competitive*

- make re-spawn time on autos longer* (my suggestion is towards the respawn time rather than nerfing the damage as a I feel 343 will not make to big changes to their current weapon/damage sandbox)

- reduce magnetism on snipers (very slightly)

- add a snipers playlist*

- keep arena playlist the same name, but have only HCS gametypes*

- add a doubles playlist on modified 2v2 maps. (community approved forge maps to be considered as well)

*ABSOLUTE MUST NEEDS*

New Radar suggestion:  Other that removing it (which would be ideal obviously)

This has been suggested so many times. 

A radar that shows spartan abilities would only further cement them as reactionary defensive measures by discouraging their offensive use.

The railgun needs a magnetism and/or splash damage nerf. It would be even better if it were given a noticeably slow projectile travel speed so that it actually required you to lead it with precision. I had no idea it was "projectile" until they said they made it hitscan. The travel speed must have already been so fast that the change to hitscan made basicly no difference whatsoever.

And, you know, there's always buffing the Magnum to a 4sk 'n shit...

• Upvote (+1) 1

A radar that shows spartan abilities would only further cement them as reactionary defensive measures by discouraging their offensive use.

The railgun needs a magnetism and/or splash damage nerf. It would be even better if it were given a noticeably slow projectile travel speed so that it actually required you to lead it with precision. I had no idea it was "projectile" until they said they made it hitscan. The travel speed must have already been so fast that the change to hitscan made basicly no difference whatsoever.

And, you know, there's always buffing the Magnum to a 4sk 'n shit...

I'd rather we get Battle Rifles starts, personally.  But I would take any buff to the Magnum, because it feels like a weaker DMR.  I always trade it for a DMR in Arena.

General Changes:

• Reduce Railgun Ammo
  • Reduce Sniper Hitbox
  • Nerf AR by 2-3 Bullets for Shield Break
  • Move Tier 1 Weapons to Tier 2 Timers (Storm Rifle at the least)
  • Reduce Splinters on Map (They are technically a Tier 2 Weapon and should be treated as such)
  • Reduce Fuel Rod Ammo to 1 Clip (5 Shots)
  • Slightly Reduce Spartan Charge Magnetism

Same with splinter nades.

So we should remove the Sword and Scattershot as well?

I'd rather we get Battle Rifles starts, personally.  But I would take any buff to the Magnum, because it feels like a weaker DMR.  I always trade it for a DMR in Arena.

You're supposed to change it a DMR. The pistol isn't supposed to be a primary weapon. Why make the pistol stronger than a primary weapon?

So we should remove the Sword and Scattershot as well?

No idea how you got to that correlation.

No idea how you got to that correlation.

Tier 2 Instant Kill Weapons that are even easier to use and have less niche opportunities to kill.

Tier 2 Instant Kill Weapons that are even easier to use and have less niche opportunities to kill.

Does everybody get their hands on them at all times like Spartan charge? Nah

Splinters are cool though, i like the AOD effect, and GP is fine save for its slightly generous margin for error.

Does everybody get their hands on them at all times like Spartan charge? Nah

Splinters are cool though, i like the AOD effect, and GP is fine save for its slightly generous margin for error.

Wasn't referring to Spartan Charge, was referring to Splinters vs. other weapons.

You're supposed to change it a DMR. The pistol isn't supposed to be a primary weapon. Why make the pistol stronger than a primary weapon?

What is this

What is this

343i made the pistol to not be the primary weapon in Halo 5, and it won't change from that. It's meant to be a weak piece of shit compared to the DMR, BR, LR, Stormrifle, SMG, AR, Rocket, Railgun, Suppressor, Boltshot, Needler. Plasma Pistol, Air, Saw, Plasma caster, Dirt, Rock, Flagnum, Ball, Bomb, and Water.

I've given up on giving feedback. There's literally no communication between its fans other than them continuing on the Soon, and we are left in the dark speculating on if they are going to do anything at all. By the end of this year, or even before Halo 5 is done. There's going to be much better games coming out, and no one is going to be left and continue playing a game that is half finished. I will continue to play Warzone because that's the only thing I enjoy left in Halo, and the only thing 343i have actually tried. Maybe Halo 6 will be better.

Eh, I guess you are right.  I just don't like the idea that the precision weapon that I start out with is so much worse than everything else.  It just seems redundant that there are 2 5SK weapons that have similar magazine sizes and similar TTKs.  I think I'm too used to MCC BR starts, where the only other precision weapon is the Carbine.  And the Carbine was very different from the Battle Rifle, as everybody knows.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh, I guess you are right.  I just don't like the idea that the precision weapon that I start out with is so much worse than everything else.  It just seems redundant that there are 2 5SK weapons that have similar magazine sizes and similar TTKs.  I think I'm too used to MCC BR starts, where the only other precision weapon is the Carbine.  And the Carbine was very different from the Battle Rifle, as everybody knows.

It's not your fault. Nothing makes sense anymore. Maybe Halo 6 will be back to basics.