CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Precisely. These are the most competitive vanilla settings we've had since CE. We need to keep pushing this to make them better both for H5 and for future Halo titles – not take two steps backwards.

Again. That's an opinion. I think default h5 is miles behind comp h2 and h3 in terms of competitive viability. The radar, the lack of a utility weapon, the pure insanity that is autos, the low sniper skill gap. The sad part is that this game is only a few tweaks from being a really great comp halo game but the push for uniform settings will not allow it.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Again. That's an opinion. I think default h5 is miles behind comp h2 and h3 in terms of competitive viability. The radar, the lack of a utility weapon, the pure insanity that is autos, the low sniper skill gap. The sad part is that this game is only a few tweaks from being a really great comp halo game but the push for uniform settings will not allow it.

Seems to me that every Halo has been only a "few tweaks" from being a good competitive title.

Reach was no bloom + no armor abilities away from being good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I said Vanilla settings, not competitive settings.

Halo 5 is objectively better competitively than all Vanilla settings for every game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 is objectively better competitively than all Vanilla settings for every game.

Why would vanilla h2 and h3 be relevant to this dicussion? We're talking about the competitive side of the game.

Default h5 gets compared to comp h2 and comp h3 because default h5 is comp h5.

• Upvote (+1) 8

True for every game post CE but H5 is also the only Halo game that we haven't really been allowed to improve. Great if you're someone that plays a lot of BTB or Team Slayer but if you basically only ran competitive customs or whatever before then the experience is worse now for many. You might question why people wouldn't just run their own settings and such and the answer to that is that most of those people are only interested in playing tournament game types either due to following the competitive scene and just wanting to be part of it in some way or to practice for upcoming events.

Why would vanilla h2 and h3 be relevant to this dicussion? We're talking about the competitive side of the game.

Default h5 gets compared to comp h2 and comp h3 because default h5 is comp h5.

Because the developers were completely clueless in the past in terms of what made Halo competitive, now we have an experience crafted by the developer that is more competitive than it has ever been. With more feedback, more pressure from Pro Team, and more experience that default game is just going to get better and better.

The community had to salvage the game in the past (especially in Halo 3), now we are simply asking for small changes rather than reworking the entire game.

And for the record, a lot of people prefer competitive Halo 5 over H2/3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very interested in this train of thought. What do they like about the competitive settings thats unique to H5? 

It's pretty much unanimously agreed upon that H5 has created some inconsistencies in its movement. There is a massive skill curve for mastering the movement in Halo 5, but it can be damaging to map control and predictability of player movement. You can call someone out Carbine on Rig and they can be Top Nest or Underpass in a matter of seconds.

Radar helps nerf that inconsistency at the cost of a few cheesy gameplay mechanics. That is the primary defense for keeping it in the game.

1. Regarding map control, pro-radar people often seem to not take into account the very predictable spawn system. This might not be as relevant to my argument if we had instant respawn times. Since we don't, the combination of a predictable spawn system and prolonged respawn time often makes it easy for a good team to predict the other team's locations.

2. Also on the map control point: maps typically have a set of power weapons and highly desired positions (pink 2/3 on midship/heretic/truth, any stronghold capture point, etc) that further serve to make player locations predictable.

3. Regarding your Rig example, I don't think it's as hard to keep track of or predict that player if you're playing with a team that has good communication. This also speaks to the place that sprint, clamber, and thrust mechanics have in halo, but that's a discussion for another time.

4. I think that "a few cheesy gameplay mechanics" is understating it. Radar radically changes how the game is played from the level of broad positioning and strategy to the level of individual fights. You can sit in certain positions and watch in a direction and know that you are safe from being flanked if you check your radar. It's true in individual fights that no radar might make people be able to slip away more often. With radar, though, the possibility of juking people is so hugely diminished because someone can keep track of your movement so easily. I was watching the tournament yesterday and I saw people coming around the corner with a railgun charged up and aimed exactly at where the other person was going to be. That represents not only a decrease in positional skill but also aiming skill as it is much easier to lock your aim on a player when you know exactly where they're going to be. To me, the potential (slight) increase in randomness or unpredictability with no radar pales compared to the massive decrease in skill with radar.

5. Regarding the idea of universal settings, I think that that argument doesn't necessarily take into account the number of people who are drawn to and stick with the competitive playlist precisely because the competitive settings attract them. Once I started playing MLG in Halo 3 it was almost all I wanted to play because it was much more satisfying and rewarding to get kills based on my awareness and accuracy. Having the game spoonfeed me player locations so that I could spray them with an AR wasn't as enjoyable after that. I also think it's strange to assume that players wouldn't want to watch the best players in the world play for money if there were no radar. I think most bad or average players would be too impressed by the skill of the players to care about no radar and good players would understand.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Because the developers were completely clueless in the past in terms of what made Halo competitive, now we have an experience crafted by the developer that is more competitive than it has ever been. With more feedback, more pressure from Pro Team, and more experience that default game is just going to get better and better.

The community had to salvage the game in the past (especially in Halo 3), now we are simply asking for small changes rather than reworking the entire game.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. How we view this game is so vastly different.

Imo if a game cannot even crack the xbl top 10 it needs to be blown up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Very interested in this train of thought. What do they like about the competitive settings thats unique to H5? 

Every game has it's Pros and Cons, people love/hate each one for different reasons. For Halo 5 in specific I'd say this is the reason people enjoy it competitively:

• Well Designed Maps (Bountiful at that, H2/3 only had 3-4 good maps each at launch)
  • Competent Utility Weapon Compared to H3
  • Higher Individual Skill Gap because of Strafe, Thrust, Movement Skill Gap, Lower Aim Assist, etc.
  • Weapon Diversity/Meta (while this is highly debatable, the game does make you think a lot more in terms of strategy)

I'm not denying that H5 definitely has stuff that needs to be improved upon (Radar, Storm Rifle placements, Sniper ease of use, AR Strength) but there are redeeming qualities that people enjoy about this game.

Just want to remind you that I'm against radar rofl

1. Every Halo has had predictable respawns except Halo 2 which had what seemed to be random spawns that were all of other the place

2. Obviously key objectives are going to attract players, but that isn't related to the issue that Radar helps resolve. I'm referring to A->B player movement predictability.

3. Sure it does. I'm Engine 2 with a teammate at Snipe Spawn, I put shots in a guy Carbine, call him out at Carbine, my teammate goes to Long Hall or Catwalk and the player is no longer there/halfway across the map because of insane movement.

4. Obviously I'm understating it. I want all of that nonsense gone as well

[*]Competent Utility Weapon Compared to H3

[l

Lol

How so

It is arguably the weakest weapon in the entire h5 sandbox. The h5 pistol is not in any way a utility weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Lol

How so

It is arguably the weakest weapon in the entire h5 sandbox. The h5 pistol is not in any way a utility weapon.

It shoots people who are outside of your melee range.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just want to remind you that I'm against radar rofl

1. Every Halo has had predictable respawns except Halo 2 which had what seemed to be random spawns that were all of other the place

2. Obviously key objectives are going to attract players, but that isn't related to the issue that Radar helps resolve. I'm referring to A->B player movement predictability.

3. Sure it does. I'm Engine 2 with a teammate at Snipe Spawn, I put shots in a guy Carbine, call him out at Carbine, my teammate goes to Long Hall or Catwalk and the player is no longer there/halfway across the map because of insane movement.

4. Obviously I'm understating it. I want all of that nonsense gone as well

I know you're against radar, but you do a better job of advocating radar than most pro-radar people

1. And they all had no radar

2. With A->B player movement predictability there are still priorities that help you predict or adjust to the other player. For example, let's take a situation where a player has two choices of escape. Obviously this will be simplified for the sake of discussion. If one route gives him a chance to help teammates shortly and the other requires him to remove himself from the fight for an extended period of time you can predict that he will take the better route. If he didn't, then it doesn't matter as much because he's not helping his team as much. It's about calculated risks

3. But your teammate should play in a way that anticipates that players can move quickly. Again, this is more of an issue with sprint and other h5 mechanics

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. How we view this game is so vastly different.

Imo if a game cannot even crack the xbl top 10 it needs to be blown up.

I don't think popularity is a good way to judge a game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think popularity is a good way to judge a game.

Shows that it's not popular for an xbox exclusive game. Might be because it's an average game. Could be better. By then it's too late.

Every game has it's Pros and Cons, people love/hate each one for different reasons. For Halo 5 in specific I'd say this is the reason people enjoy it competitively:

• Well Designed Maps (Bountiful at that, H2/3 only had 3-4 good maps each at launch)
  • Competent Utility Weapon Compared to H3
  • Higher Individual Skill Gap because of Strafe, Thrust, Movement Skill Gap, Lower Aim Assist, etc.
  • Weapon Diversity/Meta (while this is highly debatable, the game does make you think a lot more in terms of strategy)

Saying that H5 has 3-4 "good" maps now is still debatable. There's Truth, and the rest are debatable. Some would be fine if the weapon placements were changed.

The pistol is the worst weapon in H5. That's not to say it's a bad weapon, but if you spawned with any other precision weapon, would you ever pick it up? No. The DMR is a better pistol with a rifle skin.

Strafe is negligible in this game unless you are almost within melee range to the other person. Thrusting is what sets aside good 1v1ers. The massive bullet magnetism more than makes up for any lack of aim assist. At medium range, your entire pistol reticle can be almost entirely off of the player and still register hits. I don't think I need to say anything about the sniper.

I don't see any significant thought having to be put into which weapon to pull out.

One thing that stands out with H5 as opposed to every other Halo game (except H4?) is how easy it is to kill people. Every weapon has a fast kill time, and most of them aren't precision weapons. The plasma pistol is tracking people across maps, without exaggeration, for example. With all the talk about single shot > burst fire regarding "lazy aiming" that went on in the months before the game was released, people seem to have adjusted to the status quo of H5 pretty quickly.  BR/DMR starts would not affect the skill gap 20% as much as automatics+radar in this game have.

• Upvote (+1) 5

did this man dare utter this heresy on the ce elitist forum?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

did this man dare utter this heresy on the ce elitist forum?

An earlier post I said "except for CE" but Plasma Pistol starts CTF on Boarding Action doesn't seem very competitive to me  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

An earlier post I said "except for CE" but Plasma Pistol starts CTF on Boarding Action doesn't seem very competitive to me  :holmes:

Nah man it's just "positional gameplay"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol

How so

In a vacuum it is.  The weapon itself is a perfectly capable utility weapon.  The problem lies with the other weapons.

AR needs a small nerf.

Storm Rifle should just become the H1 Plasma Rifle.

Suppressor is fine.

BR doesn't need to exist, or it should become a midrange niche weapon by severely increasing the recoil and slightly decreasing TTK.

DMR and Pistol need to be morphed into one starting weapon. Rifle skin, 4-kill clip, 2x zoom, and projectile.

Light Rifle should remain untouched.

Carbine should be a 10 shot kill but do lingering corrosive damage that keeps shields down longer.

If all those changes were made we'd have a much better sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you guys think anyone would notice if they nerfed the bullets needed to kill w/ the AR 1 bullet per week for 4-5 weeks?

• Upvote (+1) 1

In a vacuum it is.  The weapon itself is a perfectly capable utility weapon.  The problem lies with the other weapons.

AR needs a small nerf.

Suppressor is fine.

BR doesn't need to exist, or it should become a midrange niche weapon by severely increasing the recoil and slightly decreasing TTK.

DMR and Pistol need to be morphed into one starting weapon. Rifle skin, 4-kill clip, 2x zoom, and projectile.

Carbine should be a 10 shot kill but do lingering corrosive damage that keeps shields down longer.

• Agreed about the AR/LR/Suppressor
  • Storm Rifle would be great as a Tier 2 Weapon on maps like Rig/Plaza (with current strength)
  • Holy god I didn't know I wanted that Carbine until this very moment
  • DMR/BR can both serve the role as a ranged anchor buff but there needs to be few of them on each map. Removing BRs from Coliseum would make DMRs far more important for an Anchor player, Removing BRs on Fathom does the same for the Light Rifle. This would also help if they were all on Tier 2 Timers. In addition, I think each one can be better balanced for certain maps. If the BR was the "Anchor" on Coliseum (placed at DMR spawn) it would be a lot more difficult to manage the long sightlines because of the spread and recoil. The BR on Rig being replaced by a DMR would make it less of an "upgrade" weapon and more of an anchor weapon. That's why I love the DMRs on Regret, BRs on that map would be terrible.

Also keep the Pistol as the Utility Model  :prayers:

Also sorry for dodging invites earlier, was 1v1ing a friend, but keep inviting and I'll join sometime!

• Upvote (+1) 1

In a vacuum it is. The weapon itself is a perfectly capable utility weapon. The problem lies with the other weapons.

AR needs a small nerf.

Suppressor is fine.

Well first off the game isn't played in a vacuum. Plus even if it was the pistol is still too weak compared to the movement abilities in this game.

Well first off the game isn't played in a vacuum.

That's his point. In a vacuum, the Pistol gets completely demolished by every other weapon, but for in-game situations it trumps a lot of the sandbox.

• Downvote (-1) 1