CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

No, I meant repeating "REMOVE RADAR!!!!!!111!!!" X10000 won't do much. The 343 staff who can change it barely visit this forum as far as I can tell; best write a worthy post rather than one liners ad nauseum. I get venting, but that all it really is worth. Venting.

That's part of the reason I try not to read the h5 thread unless I wanna vent. Same shit over and over with no real outcome.

No, I meant repeating "REMOVE RADAR!!!!!!111!!!" X10000 won't do much. The 343 staff who can change it barely visit this forum as far as I can tell; best write a worthy post rather than one liners ad nauseum. I get venting, but that all it really is worth. Venting.

That's part of the reason I try not to read the h5 thread unless I wanna vent. Same shit over and over with no real outcome.

There's been a lot of lengthy posts about why radar shouldn't be in competitive. Be in here, Waypoint, and even Reddit. I posted about radar being bad 4 months ago here: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3xnr9y/dear_343/, and still no response from a 343i employee. Just we're thinking of something. No you don't have to think at all. It's just like a light switch just turn it off. No one is in favor of it.

the ONLY voting option i have ever been a fan of was the veto option in Halo 3.  True-voting from a short list of maps and gametypes always ends up limiting the playlist to basically 3 or 4 gametypes that you play over and over.  The Veto option adds a little element of gambling to it, since you don't know what you are going to get if you veto.  And we know how addicting gambling can be,....

I agree with you. That being said, people would just dodge games anyway due to lack of punishment for doing so. I wish more people would look at the new maps and gametypes with a bit more open-mindedness, hence putting more effort into mastering them so 343 has some good data on these maps. 

I agree with you. That being said, people would just dodge games anyway due to lack of punishment for doing so. I wish more people would look at the new maps and gametypes with a bit more open-mindedness, hence putting more effort into mastering them so 343 has some good data on these maps. 

Yeah, there is no way 343 can force me into playing Overgrowth. I can dodge that with a clear conscience, knowing that it will never ever be featured in HCS Pro League or ever picked at the ANZ Midweek cup.

You mistake posting with visiting.

I can assure you these forums are visited daily by various people from 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not gonna lie, I was originally a fan of, or apathetic towards, the radar in the H5 settings. I felt like the shortened radar distance and all of the fast movement options in the game balanced themselves out and it wasn't a big deal. 

But then I watched the PAX East invitational, and damn the couch game was strong. You would see players in power positions, but they couldn't do anything because they'd instantly appear on radar if they weren't crouched. It just felt like a handicap to the players trying to make a move. There'd be so many times where a player could make such a huge play or a flank, but the radar was preventing him from doing so. 

So yeah, I'm no longer apathetic. It really kills gameplay. plz remov

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah i tried Riptide with an open mind, it's the shittiest map ever created.

Literally the casuals are getting all these super casual playlists like Grifball, Fiesta, Super Fiesta, Multi Team, Social Slayer, Warzone Turbo, Firefight, but yet the Hardcore playlist is nowhere to be found. 343i is trying to push so hard to get competitive out there, but at the same time they are catering too much towards the casual in the competitive scene. The plebs don't fucking care about competitive settings. So give the competitive scene its settings back. 

We've been working towards getting sprint removed, and you gave us the option to remove it, but now you won't let us remove it. We didn't want radar to get removed, but you went ahead and did. You added auto's to the map, and again didn't ask us the community if we wanted it. When are you going to start listening to the competitive community to see what we want.

All I am saying is stop trying to fix things that are not broken.

When are you going to start listening to the competitive community to see what we want.

You are arguing anecdotally though, because everyone has a different argument and different opinions about the game. You can't speak on behalf of the entire "competitive" community.

Same goes for the argument of having separated settings. A ton of people feel that the settings should be unanimous, so you can't say that dividing settings would be the end-all be-all solution.

They should have kept the range the same as previous titles though. I'm probably just bad, but by the time I realise someones sprinting at me I've already been spartan charged.

Sounds a lot like no radar to me LOL

Not gonna lie, I was originally a fan of, or apathetic towards, the radar in the H5 settings. I felt like the shortened radar distance and all of the fast movement options in the game balanced themselves out and it wasn't a big deal.

But then I watched the PAX East invitational, and damn the couch game was strong. You would see players in power positions, but they couldn't do anything because they'd instantly appear on radar if they weren't crouched. It just felt like a handicap to the players trying to make a move. There'd be so many times where a player could make such a huge play or a flank, but the radar was preventing him from doing so.

So yeah, I'm no longer apathetic. It really kills gameplay. plz remov

I still think both points of the argument stand. I too am on the side of removing radar but not at the cost of divided settings or broken movement in competitive play.

Same goes for the argument of having separated settings. A ton of people feel that the settings should be unanimous, so you can't say that dividing settings would be the end-all be-all solution.

Halo competitive settings were fine for 10 years, and now people want unanimous settings? I don't believe that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You are arguing anecdotally though, because everyone has a different argument and different opinions about the game. You can't speak on behalf of the entire "competitive" community.

Sounds a lot like no radar to me LOL

I still think both points of the argument stand. I too am on the side of removing radar but not at the cost of divided settings or broken movement in competitive play.

What do you mean by "broken movement"? Would whatever you mean by that be more broken than being able to "see" people through ceilings and floors and around corners?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo competitive settings were fine for 10 years, and now people want unanimous settings? I don't believe that.

10 years ago we didn't need developer running tournaments.

CE hardly counts since that was a very "personal" competitive game.

Halo 2-3 (6 years) were the kings of eSports at their time and dominant in the FPS market with huge populations, they had massive flexibility. Imagine how insane Halo 3 would have been if the Default settings were actually competitive.

Reach, while it did introduce even more atrocious default settings, kept up with the trend of dividing competitive settings which split the two groups apart even further and made the MLG population extremely low.

We are in an era where games are designed to be competitive – CS:GO, LoL, Overwatch, Rocket League, and more. Halo is stuck in this purgatory where it is trying to design the game competitively while appeasing 10 years of Halo tradition that people are conditioned to have.

While I agree that the settings to continue to be more competitive and refined, driving a wedge between our population and our game's identity as a whole isn't the way to go about it.

10 years ago we didn't need developer running tournaments.

True, but I don't know why they need to change things if it's worked for 10 years.

What do you mean by "broken movement"? Would whatever you mean by that be more broken than being able to "see" people through ceilings and floors and around corners?

It's pretty much unanimously agreed upon that H5 has created some inconsistencies in its movement. There is a massive skill curve for mastering the movement in Halo 5, but it can be damaging to map control and predictability of player movement. You can call someone out Carbine on Rig and they can be Top Nest or Underpass in a matter of seconds.

Radar helps nerf that inconsistency at the cost of a few cheesy gameplay mechanics. That is the primary defense for keeping it in the game.

Halo 2-3 (6 years) were the kings of eSports at their time and dominant in the FPS market with huge populations, they had massive flexibility. Imagine how insane Halo 3 would have been if the Default settings were actually competitive.

Reach, while it did introduce even more atrocious default settings, kept up with the trend of dividing competitive settings which split the two groups apart even further and made the MLG population extremely low.

We are in an era where games are designed to be competitive – CS:GO, LoL, Overwatch, Rocket League, and more. Halo is stuck in this purgatory where it is trying to design the game competitively while appeasing 10 years of Halo tradition that people are conditioned to have.

While I agree that the settings to continue to be more competitive and refined, driving a wedge between our population and our game's identity as a whole isn't the way to go about it.

Now this may have changed a bit since I last played CSGO, but Classic Competitive and Classic Casual had different settings. The casual mode auto-bought armor+helmet, allowed for the taser, and had no team collision. It may have also had no friendly fire, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

It's a thing now. Desperate times.

That's just one theory. I would argue the population of reach MLG was so low because the game in its entirety simply didn't appeal to that demographic. By the time reach MLG settings were playable, most people who would have enjoyed it were already gone.

That's just one theory. I would argue the population of reach MLG was so low because the game in its entirety simply didn't appeal to that demographic. By the time reach MLG settings were playable, most people who would have enjoyed it were already gone.

Oh definitely, there are tons of factors. Shitty/no ranks, forced factors on competitive settings (maps, bloom, ugly forge), and lack of dev support. 

My point still stands that streamlined universal settings are better for the game's longevity and identity than a divide.

My point still stands that streamlined universal settings are better for the game's longevity and identity than a divide.

Only if those settings work in both a casual and competitive capacity though. H5's currebt default gameplay does not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now this may have changed a bit since I last played CSGO(2012 according to Steam), but Classic Competitive and Classic Casual had different settings. The casual mode auto-bought armor+helmet, allowed for the taser, and had no team collision. It may have also had no friendly fire, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Yep you're entirely right, and from what I gathered playing CS a while back I believe that is still the case. League of Legends does something similar where they show the Turrets' range in Standard/Bot matches and then disable it in Ranked Matches.

Halo could easily do the same thing if it had a coherent identity and experience, but at this point where we have 4v4 Arena, SWAT, BTB, Snipers, Fiesta/Action Sack, Warzone, Warzone Assault, Infection, Mini Games, etc. it simply isn't worth it to divide up the one experience we are trying to grow.

I guess the best way to describe it is that changes like CS' Casual/Competitive are iterations upon the "core game"

Halo doesn't have a "core game" because the developers supports dozens of niches at once.

Only if those settings work in both a casual and competitive capacity though. H5's currebt default gameplay does not.

They do though. At least in comparison to default settings since H2 they do. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Precisely. These are the most competitive vanilla settings we've had since CE. We need to keep pushing this to make them better both for H5 and for future Halo titles – not take two steps backwards.

Yep you're entirely right, and from what I gathered playing CS a while back I believe that is still the case. League of Legends does something similar where they show the Turrets' range in Standard/Bot matches and then disable it in Ranked Matches.

Halo could easily do the same thing if it had a coherent identity and experience, but at this point where we have 4v4 Arena, SWAT, BTB, Snipers, Fiesta/Action Sack, Warzone, Warzone Assault, Infection, Mini Games, etc. it simply isn't worth it to divide up the one experience we are trying to grow.

I guess the best way to describe it is that changes like CS' Casual/Competitive are iterations upon the "core game"

Halo doesn't have a "core game" because the developers supports dozens of niches at once.

In which case a small change from the norm, i.e. no radar in Team Arena, wouldn't be a problem. If the game is already segregated up without coherent identity and experience why would removing radar make much difference. I can understand the argument against whole sale changes to the game from it's default settings but I don't think the game needs to be exactly the same in its most competitive settings. Although you may not be arguing for that. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well obviously this is a matter of opinion. Outside of Pros and the hype they generate I don't see much of a competitive following to this game though.