CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I've picked up the suppressor like 3 times. In what situations would it be beneficial to pick it up over other weapons?

I feel like it's the Halo 2 needler. Pretty useless.

There's a reason why it's called the Suppressor. Try, you know, suppressing people with it.

But my biggest piece of advice is to prefire with it. Like the Halo 2 Needler, it's situationally powerful.

You just have to figure out the right situation.

You know, there weren't a lot of things that Halo 4 did right, but the Assault Rifle was one of them.  Halo 4 had the best balanced AR in the series (h1 quick camo and double melee not withstanding).  If we could just pluck the H4 AR from that game and paste it right into Halo 5, we would be in such a better place.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while now.

I think this is why you don't understand the complaints. It goes to the time limit almost every game, has more ties than ever before, and generally plays like a worse (and more susceptible to flukes) version of flag. 1-hit beatdown combined with double-thrust is a bit of overkill in terms of empowering the ball-carrier as well. I'd suggest removing the 1-hit beatdowns, adding some throw-distance so the bomb can be moved in a bit faster, and removing the ability to instantly reset the timer by touching the ball (instead have it decay like it does when it's taken out of the arm zone).

As someone who likes bomb in other Halo games, forcing it's current iteration into the settings would give it a bad rap in the future.

100% agreed.  Personally, i was a fan of the jumping-melee kills in Halo 2, but that could be the fanboy in me talking haha.  And yea, some throw distance would be good.  Not Tom-Brady-hail-mary throw distance, but more like overweight-mens-league-softball-player throw distance.

I dont post much, but I think it is important to keep a diverse competitive playlist, so people can try new gametypes as well as get into some competitive settings.

My idea for the Arena Playlist in general, is keep the gametypes and options like the current playlist we have, with a mix of HCS and Non HCS Gametypes...however add a VETO option like in Halo 3, where if a majority (5/8) vetos the first map (randomly generated could either be HCS or Non HCS Gametype) that the next map chosen after the VETO will always be a randomized HCS Gametype. 

This does a couple things...

1. Teams trying to run games in playlist can make sure almost everytime they will play an HCS gametype (obviously there will be times you could get stuck with a gametype you dont want to play if people dont vote or what not but im confident that if you are playing at a certain level (diamond, onyx+ that you shouldnt have a problem getting the vetos to change to an HCS gametype)

2. It will keep the playlist population saturated rather than spreading players over 2 or 3 different added playlists (which they already have a hard time adding playlists)

3. It will give 343 value data on which gametpes people like (play the most) or veto the most (not sure if they can track which gametypes people dodge currently??) 

4. Based on that data they can remove the 1-2 gametypes that are the most vetod/least liked season to season and replace them with the monthly new map, and new gametypes.  Essentially this is like a built in gametype testing playlist

Please reply with thoughts... a solution that includes everyone and help develop future gametypes and settings? no brainer to me

the ONLY voting option i have ever been a fan of was the veto option in Halo 3.  True-voting from a short list of maps and gametypes always ends up limiting the playlist to basically 3 or 4 gametypes that you play over and over.  The Veto option adds a little element of gambling to it, since you don't know what you are going to get if you veto.  And we know how addicting gambling can be,....

It's because players are up too quickly to actually do anything. Most of the time, you have to slay 2 or 3 waves of players before you're able to get into their base for the objective. By the time you manage to kill someone, their teammates are probably already spawning and sprinting into your base to stop and arm or a flag pull.

Maybe sprint will make it so that a 10 second spawn isn't enough, but it can't hurt any more than what we have right now.

I feel like (Assault-specific) increasing the arm speed would essentially quell the same issue.

I feel like (Assault-specific) increasing the arm speed would essentially quell the same issue.

I disagree, that would punish players that are alive by not giving them enough time to react to an arm.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the ONLY voting option i have ever been a fan of was the veto option in Halo 3.  True-voting from a short list of maps and gametypes always ends up limiting the playlist to basically 3 or 4 gametypes that you play over and over.  The Veto option adds a little element of gambling to it, since you don't know what you are going to get if you veto.  And we know how addicting gambling can be,....

Thats exactly the change I am suggesting.  Bring back the Halo 3 Veto system for all playlists.  All playlists get a randomly generated map if the first map is vetod by the majority.

However, in the Arena playlist, if the first map is vetoed then the next map randomly generated will always be a HCS gametype. 

That way if gold players like to play torque ctf they dont have to veto and still get that option in the playlist.  If onyx/champ level players only want to play HCS maps then they can veto to get an HCS gametype (if the first selected map isn't already a randomly selected HCS gametype which could also happen obviously) etc

This will also help as a testing playlist for new maps and gametypes added to the playlist.  Like when they added torque, and onyx level player might not veto the map to try it for one game, they dont like it then it gets vetoed every time after that. This would give 343 good data on which gametypes need adjusting such as weapon placement or taken out completely and replaced with a new gametype/map to test.

It saves people from dodging certain maps and gametypes by quiting out, with a veto option

• Upvote (+1) 2

While I'm personally a fan of the universal respawn times, everyone seems to fling that argument around just because "that's how it has always been"

If you can actually explain how throwing two extra respawn seconds to Assault will fundamentally fix all the problems I'll buy it, but I genuinely don't see the issue with the current respawn times on any mode. 

How about the fact that you have to slay the enemy team out 2-3 times to get an arm?  You don't think a longer respawn time would help with that?

Thats exactly the change I am suggesting.  Bring back the Halo 3 Veto system for all playlists.  All playlists get a randomly generated map if the first map is vetod by the majority.

However, in the Arena playlist, if the first map is vetoed then the next map randomly generated will always be a HCS gametype. 

That way if gold players like to play torque ctf they dont have to veto and still get that option in the playlist.  If onyx/champ level players only want to play HCS maps then they can veto to get an HCS gametype (if the first selected map isn't already a randomly selected HCS gametype which could also happen obviously) etc

This will also help as a testing playlist for new maps and gametypes added to the playlist.  Like when they added torque, and onyx level player might not veto the map to try it for one game, they dont like it then it gets vetoed every time after that. This would give 343 good data on which gametypes need adjusting such as weapon placement or taken out completely and replaced with a new gametype/map to test.

It saves people from dodging certain maps and gametypes by quiting out, with a veto option

Yeah i was agreeing with you totally.

I was not the biggest fan of Halo 3, it was slow, guns did little damage, random bullet spread with a lack of hitscan was frustratingly awful, but there was a ton of shit it did right.

the lobby system, voting system, and non-skill tied ranking system were all a part of that and deserve a lot of credit for why i still played the shit out of that game despite the issues i had with it.

If anyone is interested in becoming TILTED just search Arena in 2s late at night and match teams of four 100% of the time. And if it's not 100% of time, it was because you weren't searching. Having no party restrictions is a huge problem; it discourages playing the game alone. It's no wonder this game has a dying population if you have to have friends to have fun. Halo 3 did it so well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If anyone is interested in becoming TILTED just search Arena in 2s late at night and match teams of four 100% of the time. And if it's not 100% of time, it was because you weren't searching. Having no party restrictions is a huge problem; it discourages playing the game alone. It's no wonder this game has a dying population if you have to have friends to have fun. Halo 3 did it so well.

And its not even like you can just switch to social when you're alone either because social also uses tight skill matches which results in you matching sweat fest parties.

I disagree, that would punish players that are alive by not giving them enough time to react to an arm.

Arm time is way too long on some of the smaller maps.

Arm time is way too long on some of the smaller maps.

Because people can spawn and immediately start running towards the plant zone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's because players are up too quickly to actually do anything. Most of the time, you have to slay 2 or 3 waves of players before you're able to get into their base for the objective. By the time you manage to kill someone, their teammates are probably already spawning and sprinting into your base to stop and arm or a flag pull.

Maybe sprint will make it so that a 10 second spawn isn't enough, but it can't hurt any more than what we have right now.

If sprint is 115% base movement, and 10 seconds was adequate in NS settings, respawn should be 11.5 seconds to compensate. As it standstands with sprint, our respawn time is effectively 6.8 seconds, as players can get back in the fray much faster.

Because people can spawn and immediately start running towards the plant zone.

OK?

Seriously fuck radar. Why should a guy who's watching his radar get rewarded for not moving, but the guy who's trying to make a play for his team get punished because he's not playing toggle crouch? The more I continue to watch PAX the more I'm despising radar. Slayer in particular has become to frustrating to watch because I can see people in game wanting to make a play but they don't know there is a guy either below him, or above him watching his radar giving information to his team to collapse on this guy.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Were there party restriction in Reach other than Doubles? That was all I played.

What about MCC? If I remember right it didn't have any either right?

I just don't understand why they don't do it. It is liteally so easy to implement.

Were there party restriction in Reach other than Doubles? That was all I played.

What about MCC? If I remember right it didn't have any either right?

I just don't understand why they don't do it. It is liteally so easy to implement.

Incompetence. That's it.

So what are the chances of competitive settings going back to competitive settings?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I cringe every time I see people crouch around a corner with an auto staring at their radar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I cringe every time I see people crouch around a corner with an auto staring at their radar.

Every time it's pure disgust. Where was the poll to get these settings in competitive? They sure as hell asked no one from the competitive community if they wanted it. 343 needs to keep competitive settings, and casual settings separate. It has worked for the past 15+ years. Make the casuals adapt to the competitive settings.

Radar is here to stay, most likely. Repeating remove radar won't do anything. Think about who we're dealing with here.

Radar is here to stay, most likely. Repeating remove radar won't do anything. Think about who we're dealing with here.

I know they said something about radar changes or something, but it's not here yet. I really want to know why they removed it. There's really no logical reason to remove it.

"Veto4HCS"

I know they said something about radar changes or something, but it's not here yet. I really want to know why they removed it. There's really no logical reason to remove it.

They said they would test out no radar ages ago. Personally I'm in the "I don't care" camp, I don't mind it and I don't mind if it's out either.

They should have kept the range the same as previous titles though. I'm probably just bad, but by the time I realise someones sprinting at me I've already been spartan charged.

That last sentence makes me wonder what the fuck happend to Halo.........

removing it wont do anything? keeping it won't do anything. Removing it will make the game more enjoyable to play + watch. I think that is a good reason to remove it.

edit: I misread the post as "repeating (the option of) removing radar." AKA removing radar b/c its the same as prev gen won't do anything

removing it wont do anything? keeping it won't do anything. Removing it will make the game more enjoyable to play + watch. I think that is a good reason to remove it

Hear, hear!