CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I just don't understand a good player enjoying it more than no radar. I really don't. No radar allows for a much bigger skill gap in awareness, sneakiness, etc.

Well if you're talking about pros know that they want whatever settings allow them the best chance at winning money and lowering the skill gap is one way of doing that. 

We have radar because people believe "its not so bad" is a legitimate argument :)

Honestly if you're afraid of unbalancing the game because the abilities require radar then we REALLY need to rethink these abilities as a whole.

Looking for a gametype that closest resembles "classic" Halo. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm just gonna post this post everyday until it's fixed.

Please add party restrictions 343i.

Also I made a thread on waypoint about it too and the people over there also fully agree with the idea of party restrictions needing to be implemented as soon as possible. Here's that thread:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/how-to-solve-the-4-major-problems-with-arena/cc83729b-a96e-435c-8350-5da11783788c/posts?page=1

I'm just gonna post this post everyday until it's fixed.

Please add party restrictions 343i.

Also I made a thread on waypoint about it too and the people over there also fully agree with the idea of party restrictions needing to be implemented as soon as possible. Here's that thread:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/how-to-solve-the-4-major-problems-with-arena/cc83729b-a96e-435c-8350-5da11783788c/posts?page=1

Post it where every day?

Guaranteed it'll get removed in both places for spamming.

I enjoy the dynamic power-ups because I like keeping track of and predicting the times when they spawn. Making educated guesses about their spawn time when your team doesn't have control can lead to cool moments whether you're right or wrong. Watching the enemy team's behavior to figure out the new spawn time is fun as well.

Static timers for Tier 3 weapons = great

Dynamic timers for power-ups = great

Despawn timer for Tier 2 weapons = awful

I like static because it gives the losing team a fair chance to come back in a fight if they play the engagement perfect.

I also love how the EU community berate my opinions when they don't even know game mechanics 90% of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like static because it would be consistent with every other 2-minute item in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind the dynamic timer on powerups in Halo 5 because at least it's fairly consistent when it comes up assuming you're playing at a mid to high level since everyone knows to fight for it. Dynamic timers based on when a weapon is dropped though I feel is awful.

I'd still prefer no dynamic timer. If the concern was making encounters throughout the match too similar, I wouldn't mind a skewed timer on the powerups, like 2:10 or something similar. But I would be concerned that whatever team won the most recent power weapon would have a pretty solid chance of getting the power up as well if we skewed the timer.

I like static because it gives the losing team a fair chance to come back in a fight if they play the engagement perfect.

I also love how the EU community berate my opinions when they don't even know game mechanics 90% of the time.

Just to clear things up;

1. Hope you didn't construe my tweets as berating your opinion. It's pretty tough to get a point across in 140 characters so I think you might have gotten the wrong end of the stick. Everyone's got an opinion (except mine is always right)

2. I hope you don't consider my opinion as the 'EU community', I am but only a single man. I'm sure there are plenty who would agree/disagree with you in the EU comm too don't read too much into it  :simms:

FYI outsiders: My argument to Batchford was that moving powerups to static-timer weapon pads would essentially make timing anything in Halo extinct. Batchfords argument was that static timers were used in H1, so it's been done before. Both valid arugments! (except mine is right and batchys wrong)

• Upvote (+1) 4

I enjoy the dynamic power-ups because I like keeping track of and predicting the times when they spawn. Making educated guesses about their spawn time when your team doesn't have control can lead to cool moments whether you're right or wrong. Watching the enemy team's behavior to figure out the new spawn time is fun as well.

I think Tier 2's are fine since they are hyper niche. As I've expressed already in this thread and on Waypoint, I believe that Tier 1s should use the same respawn as Tier 2s. None of this snowballing 20s nonsense.

So, what is the whole argument of Static vs Dynamic Powerups in the context of H5?

@@Infinity

First I want to point out that I obviously 100% understand the argument behind pure static (especially when the sandbox is actually balanced around that fact). It offers equal opportunity for players to set up for power items and forces people to counter opponent's strategies when every team is aware of the powerup.

I'd also like to point out that I obviously don't want everything to be Dynamic. Equal opportunity is a pivotal part about Halo's gameplay so I would of course want Tier 3s and the most powerful items to be available for everyone to contest.

I briefly explained in this post how Dynamic Powerups create a layered and sequential (yet variable) flow to a match, rather than a repetitive cycle caused by universal static timers.

• Game Start: Opening strategies, most likely chance for powerup burns, team shooting and a very volatile
  • Early Game: Powerups are still easy to predict (even if enemy team won the fight), everyone knows it'll spawn around the 9:50s or the 7:45s. Easy to remember as well because of Static 2 Minute Tier 3s reminding you that Powerups are coming soon. 
  • Mid Game: Strategy begins to shift as the gap between Tier 3s and Powerups widens. How can you use Rockets to pick up an OS that comes up 15-30 seconds later? How can you counter the enemy team who has Rockets and still obtain the OS? During these 1-2 cycles is when it begins to become important to start timing and preparing to close out the late game.
  • Late Game: Timing becomes pivotal. Powerup grabs are much less consistent as the game begins to get more hectic, rewarding players with a level head. Tier 3s now spawn much earlier and bring up the same questions regarding strategy once again. OS/Camo can often spawn a whole minute apart from Tier 3s, meaning that they may be the item that ends the game, rather than a Rocket or Sniper.

Now of course the argument against this is that snowballing can become prevalent on certain gametypes, and I won't deny that. I do believe however that Halo 5 does a decent job at preventing that snowballing. If you break a Eden SH Catwalk setup in the mid game and you don't know the time for Camo, its a matter of holding that setup for a max of 15 seconds to obtain Camo.

My point mainly is that the dynamic powerups add a slight layer of variety that can expand into much deeper gameplay strategies and mixup potential. I wholeheartedly understand the desire for pure Static and think the argument is still very compelling, but I like the meta that has been created in Halo 5.

and then of course as everyone pointed out, timing items does have a small margin of skill to it. Not a lot, but it does add to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just to clear things up;

1. Hope you didn't construe my tweets as berating your opinion. It's pretty tough to get a point across in 140 characters so I think you might have gotten the wrong end of the stick. Everyone's got an opinion (except mine is always right)

2. I hope you don't consider my opinion as the 'EU community', I am but only a single man. I'm sure there are plenty who would agree/disagree with you in the EU comm too don't read too much into it  :simms:

FYI outsiders: My argument to Batchford was that moving powerups to static-timer weapon pads would essentially make timing anything in Halo extinct. Batchfords argument was that static timers were used in H1, so it's been done before. Both valid arugments! (except mine is right and batchys wrong)

Oh Harry I wasn't talking about you in general. I just sometimes feel shunned when I try and bring a proper argument to the table.

It was mainly due to me being salty, but I sometimes feel like I am against everyone hahaha. I love a good debate about game mechanics and I sometimes think I should try and get a job in game design.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just to clear things up;

I says yours is wrong.

Statics for power-ups is the more stable and balanced option for sure.

I don't think that bit of snowbally-ness is that serious, but I'm not playing this game at a pro level so idk if it's a more serious problem than I currently consider it.

Timing is a skill that's cool from a spectator point of view as well. Example, Team A is guessing at the OS timing, giving Team B an upcoming advantage, which gives the spectators a sense of knowing something the players don't, in addition to creating an expected outcome that is thrilling to see flipped on its head.

Gameplay > Spectator experience for sure, but something to consider. StarCraft has lots of those great knowledge moments where the whole crowd is waiting to see how a player will react to a sneak attack or misread strategic tell. 

Just to clear things up;

2. I hope you don't consider my opinion as the 'EU community', I am but only a single man. I'm sure there are plenty who would agree/disagree with you in the EU comm too don't read too much into it :simms:

Just a sidenote:

Is removing timing that bad? I don't consider remembering time a skill unless you're talking Quake where you are timing multiple weapons while moving around constantly and collecting pickups.

One thing I love about Strongholds in H5 is you are never guaranteed to lose by edging out time; you always have a chance to mount a 0-99 comeback, and I feel this principle with those static timers would prevent snowballing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My ideal changes to powerups:

• Static timers
  • Short spawn times (1 minute, 2 minutes tops)
  • Both OS and camo on a few, if not most maps for at least Slayer (if not OBJ gametypes, as well), with OS on a 1 minute timer and camo on a 1-2 minute timer
  • Instant pickup (pipe dream for Halo 5, just hope the animation doesn't return in Halo 6)
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Post it where every day?

Guaranteed it'll get removed in both places for spamming.

This thread.

I don't know why it would get removed when it increases the odds of the right eyes seeing it. You probably don't care about party restrictions. It is literally the biggest problem with the ranking system and it should be spammed to increase the odds of it getting fixed.

Yeah, same.

Honestly, I believe most people like static timers more purely for nostalgic reasons.

UT and Quake both use dynamic timers and I don't think anyone is going to even attempt to argue Halo takes more skill than UT or Quake.

The mix between static and dynamic is a pretty good middle ground.

The icon that tells the entire map when a power weapon is picked up is absolutely stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The icon that tells the entire map when a power weapon is picked up is absolutely stupid.

It seems to me like this problem could very, very easily be solved by simply having the icon up all the time or (to cut down on UI clutter) by having the icon disappear set time after respawn, at which point everyone who's paying attention has gotten the relevant information anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Binaries & Two Snipers + thoughts after running games on the new Team Arena

• Empire Assault is fun. Rockets/OS are a very fun dynamic, Shotgun being bottom middle is better than Tower but I don't believe Empire should have a Shotgun if Radar is going to remain in play. The Plasma Pistol should be put in Pit or Turbine to help counter the OS better. Same comments go for Slayer, but I want to play CTF before I comment on that gametype. All other changes (DMRs, no Storms, Boltshots) are baller.
  • The Binary Rifle. I'd like to point out that a Binary in Warzone/BTB plays nothing like it does in Arena. Up close, the Binary is a lot trickier to use than the Sniper because it requires a much steadier hand and a good aim that can predict and track player movement, whereas the Sniper allows for a lot more twitchiness. At range, the Binary's "laser" is a pretty enormous gimmick and realistically is only there because it was an artificial nerf in H4. To be honest I think the Binary has around the same skill capacity as the Sniper. The Sniper's enormous hitboxes and aim assist are just as forgiving as the Binary's ability to focus purely on body shots. In the end, I couldn't really care whether or not Coliseum has a Binary or a Sniper, but considering Binaries would be exponentially less exciting for Spectators, I think we should stick to Snipers.
  • Dual Snipers in General: Dual Snipers work on maps that are segmented and lane based (Pit, Narrows). I have yet to play Torque in a 4v4 setting but I imagine the Snipers are going to improve CTF on that map greatly, perhaps Assault as well. However, on a map like Coliseum that is very open air with tons of sightlines, dual snipers (let alone Dual Binaries rofl) just don't work. The Sniper/Binary duel is a complete toss up because of how open the map is. The single Sniper setup on Coli promoted a lot more aggression in Objective and more methodical rotations in Slayer. To be honest (with reduced ammo) I could see Tyrant being a better fit for Dual Snipers because of how strong the Sun Deck and Moon Deck lane control is.

There you go papa @@Deez

I played Team Arena last night and there wasn't a Binary on Coli??

Empire plays better with rockets.  

Tyrant is awful for flag. Just a smash and grab gametype. Haven't played slayer yet, but I kept thinking that Extraction would play brilliantly on Tyrant.

Torque played okish. Still needs a lot of work.

Still think Oddball has a place in Arena.

Just to clear things up;

What Harry said. Don't attempt to label a difference of opinion from one or few members of a community as the entirety of a community. Attempting to suggest that members of the EU scene who have been around way longer than you have don't know 'game mechanics' with a sure percentage of '90%' is also wrong.

It's understandable you were dropped via a stork in the wrong train car and you didn't end up in America. But please don't disrespect an entire community because someone challenges (correctly) your opinion. EU isn't a large place. It's best not to attack the scene. Despite knowing how tragic your attitude is towards EU Halo there's still no need to be highly disrespectful.

Feel free to bitch about it to whoever privately and talk negatively about the subject or even moi. Really not arsed  :lxthul: just don't be getting too big for your boots and attempt to give the EU community a bad name.

EDIT :: Seen your reply to Harrold. Still. The opinion of a few is hardly the opinion of the majority. There's good in debate just don't shit on your doorstep. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to know who these 90% are :p

I definitely agree with you, static is definitely the way to go #ReachKid