CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

ONLY if they remove radar too. Hitmarkers are a good tool to flush campers off corners.

Yeah, this should be all-or-none. Hitmarkers are at least offensive in nature, so removing them without removing radar will just make the radar-camping more prevalent.

I really think a slight pistol buff would go a really long way towards addressing everyone's issues with the least amount of changes. 4sk pistol with a kill time slightly faster than it is now (and keeping it 7 to the body) is #1 on my wishlist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The change that i would like the most is a 4sk Pistol.

But with reduced rate of fire so it kill faster that now 5sk but not too fast, right now a perfect kill is 1.20s according to this chart: http://imgur.com/D7lVbGQ

So, a 4sk Pistol with a perfect kill of ~1.10s will be great.

Benefits:

- Rifles still usable at their intended ranges.

- Reduced rate of fire reduce spamming shots and make reversals more feasible (when the attacker misses and the defender hits all 4 shots).

- Automatic users need to be more intelligent when choosing to use those weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 3

ONLY if they remove radar too. Hitmarkers are a good tool to flush campers off corners.

I agree. 

My list of improvements I would make:

• Remove Pegasus completely.
  • Decrease the weighting on Overgrowth and Riptide. 
  • Increase the weighting on Truth and Coliseum.
  • To4s vs To4s, To3s vs To3s, and mixed solo/To2s vs mixed solo/To2s with looser matchmaking restrictions.
  • Make the ability to be knocked out of a division after a certain number of losses at the lowest rank in the division.
  • Remove MMR matchmaking from Social Playlist.

Those aren't settings :)

Biggest problem with Arena imo is the To4s matching people going in by themselves. They have to fix that. Its literally a turnoff and an almost guaranteed lost against people that know what they're doing.

And Assault is terrible in this game. The bomb guy has 2 thrusts as oppose to one, including with a 1 beatdown to kill (I dont know why the bomb is 1 beatdown, but the flag is 2?...)

• Upvote (+1) 2

anyone that comes into this thread arguing for sprint or supports it in any capacity in competitive settings is letting the community down and is simply riding the "hot new thing" train...

with that said

remove radar

remove sprint

I like sprint in its current form.

Sorry (not sorry).

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Have a long list of changes but since this is a hot topic, I would like  radar to be like it was in the beta. kthnxbye.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sandbox/Weapons

• Slight AR Nerf 
  • Buff Plasma Caster Charge Shot or replace it on Truth/Empire (SPNKr or Rockets replacement)
  • Nerf Sniper Hitbox
  • Nerf H2 BR Mag/Aim Assist or Remove it from Arena
  • Reduce Spartan Charge Magnetism

Weapon Placements

• Remove Storm Rifles from Symmetrical Maps (balanced on Plaza/Rig, for example), never more than 1 per map
  • Empire: Move OS out of Pit to Replace Shotgun; replace Caster with SPNKr if Caster is not Buffed

Team Arena/HCS Gametypes

• Add Overgrowth Strongholds
  • Add Riptide Strongholds
  • Add Torque Assault/Strongholds (maybe Flag)
  • Add Truth, Regret, and possibly Coliseum or Fathom Assault
  • Remove Regret Slayer
  • Remove Overgrowth Slayer
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

• Slight AR Nerf
  • Remove Storm Rifles from Symmetrical Maps (balanced on Plaza/Rig, for example), never more than 1 per map
  • Buff Plasma Caster Charge Shot or replace it on Truth/Empire (SPNKr or Rockets replacement)
  • Add Overgrowth Strongholds
  • Add Riptide Strongholds
  • Add Torque Assault/Strongholds (maybe Flag)
  • Nerf H2 BR Mag/Aim Assist or Remove it from Arena
  • Nerf Sniper Hitbox

I think Torque Assault is terrible lol. It feels way to big.

Reminder: This thread is for In-Game gameplay settings and changes. Playlists, ranking system, etc. are not the point of discussion. This is about improving and discussing Halo 5's competitive arena gameplay.

The OP now has appropriate topics, if you need guidance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think Torque Assault is terrible lol. It feels way to big.

I could definitely see that. Threw it in their now because I want to see it played at the highest level. May change my opinion on it later on.

Thruster also needs to allow weapon fire.

Normally I'd say "throw the abilities out the window" but my feedback in grounded in what I see 343 realistically doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Put power-ups on 60-90 second static timers for consistency and clarity.

I don't think I could get on board with this, I personally like the extra meta of tracking the timer for powerups, it's just another thing to separate good players from not so good players. Something like this would just lower the skill gap, because it's one less thing a person really has to account for.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I like how this thread is turning out.  I felt like the only problem with it in the other thread was just too much bickering about what where and why.

I'm glad this thread got created.

Carry on gents!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think I could get on board with this, I personally like the extra meta of tracking the timer for powerups, it's just another thing to separate good players from not so good players. Something like this would just lower the skill gap, because it's one less thing a person really has to account for.

Remembering a time is not even close to as skillful as securing the powerup. It means everyone has the info to get the item; it just comes down to how you play the enclunter and it forces action. Static all the way.
  • Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hate to break it to you but static timers are more ideal for Halo than dynamic timers are. There is nothing skillful about getting a power-up uncontested because your opponent is unaware of when it's coming up since they were unable to see when it was last picked up. Dynamic timers for power items only promotes snowball type game play with one team having unfair cascading advantages. Besides whatever "skill" that timing power-ups have is irrelevant at pro level play because teams have their coaches time the power-ups for them.

Having static timers for power-ups promotes player movement from both teams and allows both teams to be able to contest each other for control of the power-ups since both teams have equal amounts of information. IMO winning a contested power-up is way more skillful than denying the other team information and getting a free power-up because it is uncontested.

I highly suggest watching high level game play of Halo 1, Halo 1 has static timers for every item on the map. Halo 1 has the highest skill gap between players out of any other Halo game and it's partially due to having static timers for power items. Watch this game play that I'm going to link you and pay close attention to how players contest each other for control of the power items. On Chill Out OS spawns every 60 seconds, rockets/camo spawn every two minutes, and everything else spawns every 30 seconds. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Remembering a time is not even close to as skillful as securing the powerup. It means everyone has the info to get the item; it just comes down to how you play the enclunter and it forces action. Static all the way.

More meta behind dynamic, since you can alter the time of the next one.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

SNIP

I shouldn't have used the word skill in hindsight. I meant it adds a new layer of strategy that teams can employ, much like what El Town did on that one Eden SH match against Denial (I think?). You say 'unfair cascading advantanges,' I say it's advanced strategy that, obviously, gives your team an advantage. Saying it's unfair is shortsighted, imo.

I've been watching and playing Halo from the very beginning, so I'm aware of how it used to be. I wasn't really a fan of it then, I'm not a fan of the idea now. Just a personal nitpick, I guess. To each their own.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My personal philosophy in Halo is that you always have equal opportunity to get an item and predictability is key. Dynamic timers destroy that because most of the time the powerup is uncontested. I want everyone to know when the game changing items come up so action is forced to these areas and the meta revolves around the fight for control rather than remembering a time.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

more meta isn't always better

On another note, I really hate Riptide. Can't stand the map. Half the map feels like a death trap that you'd like to get out of as fast as you can, and the other quarter of the map is near useless. As much fun as it is to pretend the map "feels like" Chill Out, I'd rather they'd stop this practice of putting random, irrelevant maps into the Team Arena playlist.

On another note, I really hate Riptide. Can't stand the map. Half the map feels like a death trap that you'd like to get out of as fast as you can, and the other quarter of the map is near useless. As much fun as it is to pretend the map "feels like" Chill Out, I'd rather they'd stop this practice of putting random, irrelevant maps into the Team Arena playlist.

Who says Riptide is like Chill Out? Nothing alike. Chill Out is my favorite map...Riptide is not the same.

Also we're not discussing maps, just the settings.

The whole map is a death trap except blue room, and there is where you camp. :)

My only wish, 343 should do a contest for 4v4 forge maps. There are a few forgers (A3LG, Xandrith, Demption) that have an amazing feel for H5's forge right now that can create way better looking and playing maps than some of these dev maps. (NO MORE UNSC MAPS PLEASE DAMNIT) So pushing more forgers to create something for the contest would be so good for the game imo.

The winners will be tested for the HCS or atleast the arena playlist.

Also as no post in this thread is complete without the following..

REMOVE RADAR

REMOVE RADAR

REMOVE RADAR

• Upvote (+1) 2

Who says Riptide is like Chill Out? Nothing alike. Chill Out is my favorite map...Riptide is not the same.

Also we're not discussing maps, just the settings.

oh for fuck's sake

@@CyReN

get the next thread ready buddy boy

You have 7 hours from the time of this post until I make a storm rifle post in the HCS thread. This is not an idle threat.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1