CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Halo 3 never did that. It had the same party size on each side always. Like actually. I played 20k games at least of H3 and that NEVER happened to me in ranked.

It definitely did that, like I said though I don't remember if it was universal through all playlists or just specific but it was like that at some point and it was done for search times.

So literally every time you searched as a team of 3 you played 3v3? Or are you saying it was always 3+1 v 3+1? How could you know that?

It was either a 3v3 or a 3+1v3+1. I knew because on the side of the screen on the right it showed party bars and if you were in a party it connected the players to the same bar and started a new bar for new parties.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It definitely did that, like I said though I don't remember if it was universal through all playlists or just specific but it was like that at some point and it was done for search times.

Probably just social playlist but not ranked.

Probably just social playlist but not ranked.

Was definitely ranked.

It was either a 3v3 or a 3+1v3+1. I knew because on the side of the screen on the right it showed party bars and if you were in a party it connected the players to the same bar and started a new bar for new parties.

I remember playing in parties of 4 against parties of 3 kids I knew. It was definitely a thing. Atleast in some lists.

How could individuals play more games in the same time compared to a team allowing them to rank faster? Because at any give time, there are far less To4 vs To4 matches available in the search pool, compared to 4Singles vs 4Singles, and this only get worse over time when more players realize they could rank faster when playing alone.

That makes no since for two reasons,

1) Teams of four are going to be more coordinated and the games are going to escalate a lot faster meaning they'll probably end faster. How? Singles vs Singles, people tend to stop trying (or quit) when they are losing so games will end faster. On To4 vs To4, matches will last more on average because teams don't give up as easily.

2) Searching alone or with a smaller group of players would be the inferior way to rank up due to not knowing what kind of random teammates you get, and that teammate could quit, troll, suck, or stat whore to make you lose. So again, searching as a team would be the superior method since your team will play to win. Again (with HARD restrictions enabled), searching alone you will never face any coordinated team, only other singles. So yes, sometimes you will have bad teammates, but the other side could too. And at high Onyx, most players play to win, is not like just because is not a To4, there would be not any kind communication or drive to win.

I am so confused by your logic. Soft party restrictions has resulted in tons of average players reaching high champion rank.

You see average players in Champion leaderboards, i see a combination of pros, semipros, pros smurfs, semis pros smurfs, really good unknown players and some grinders.

Arena Ranks have devalued because 343 introduced shitty Maps/Gametypes that most Pros/Semi Pros don't want to waste time playing, so you have less Top players grinding Arena or taking it seriously. Then add dodging, server errors, lagouts, etc. My point is that SOFT restrictions is not the reason of having meaningless Champions.

Yes, a bad player could get "boosted" to high rank if he plays with their good friends. This is nothing new to Halo.

Which already means the ranks are now "meaningless". In order for ranks to have value the hard party restrictions need to exist, maybe make them a tiny tiny tiny bit soft,like teams of three plus a random would sometimes match teams of four, but everything else needs to be like sized parties.

Fast matching should be a social feature, not a ranked feature, otherwise you'll get average competitive matches.

Reasonable search time are key for a healthy ranking system (where Ranks mean something). For the simple fact that players will gave up searching if search time is too long (thus playing less games in that playlist). So you end with good teams, playing less games on average, compared to singled players.

With HARD restrictions you are dividing the playlist Population in two groups: Single Players and Player who always (or most of the time) play in a To4.

If those players group could never match each other, then what rank will be more meaningful, the Champion of a Single Player or the Champion of the To4 player?

What's the point of having those two groups in the same playlist?

The two groups won't really effect the ranks like you're thinking. The top arena players will be rewarded to those that win the most. And that will be advantagous towards the people who search fours because the best people searching fours will win a lot really quickly and all the time since they'd have chemistry/communication/teamwork. Where as the people searching alone or in 2s that get to champion won't be nearly as high because they can't control what type of teammates their gonna get and that will play a toll on how often they win, even if they do get games at a faster rate. Trust me, if arena used hard party restrictions then the top 200 would be pros to solid am players in that order.

And if teams of four really have that hard of a time finding matches, then after some time drop it down to a lower division to search to, BUT KEEP IT HARD PARTY RESTRICTIONS, that is better than randoms vs fours.

Also on soft restrictions, 4 randoms at 1800 csr vs a team four at 1800 would still be at a disadvantage because they'll mostly not talk strategy and odds are some of them won't have a mic in. So the odds of winning that would be slim.

I think of instead of party restrictions, there should be these Ranked playlists.

Team Arena

Team Arena (Solo/Duo queue)

FFA

Doubles

The rest is Social.

Really like this. Those Team Arena options are a little inelegant though. A single list that properly matched parties of equal size would be the optimal solution.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Feedback

Coliseum

• Replace Binaries w/ Reduced Ammo Snipers OR Revert to Single Snipe

Empire

• Create Universal Layout
  • Plasma Pistol in Turbine
  • OS Tower 2
  • Scattershot in Pit
  • Remove Boltshots

Torque

• Remove H2 BRs
  • Consider Removing Sword to avoid Sword/Camo Combo

I've made some pretty cool custom settings in the game.

Try it out in a 1v1 or 2v2.

I've left the new features in the game because I believe these settings reduce their effectiveness. I've also explained WHY I made the changes.

DEATH MATCH

(Note, settings left by default not listed)

Player Traits:

Shield Recharge Speed: 50% - Shield recharge speeds punishes players more for mistakes.

Health Recharge Speed: 20% - Health recharge speed slowed down means your shields will generally come back to 100% before your health starts recharging. This is because the game has no health packs. I hope in future heath packs will become available in Forge so I can turn off health recharging altogether. Health packs would fix MANY of Halo 5's flaws which I've gone into detail in THIS VIDEO if you're interested.

The shield and health together are closer to Halo 1 style that had very slow shield recharge time compared to future games.

Movement Speed: 110% - Speeds up base movement. Reduces effectiveness of sprint.

Forward Acceleration: 130% - Better base movement and strafing.

Strafe Acceleration: 130% - Better base movement and strafing.

Max Sprint Speed: 90% - Nerfs sprint. Still useful, but not broken.

Motion Sensor: OFF - LOL, radar in competitive settings... That's a funny joke.

Respawn:

Time: 5 seconds - Get rid of that 7 second bullshit.

Starting Weapons:

Primary Weapon: Halo One Pistol - Haven't actually tested this enough. I'd like the DMR with the recon sights, but that's not an option.

The primary goal of my settings is to keep the Halo 5 game mostly vanilla however I've sped up the gameplay to bring it closer to it's arena roots.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So literally every time you searched as a team of 3 you played 3v3? Or are you saying it was always 3+1 v 3+1? How could you know that?

I played like 30k games of halo3 and can confirm, there wasa lot of 3v3 if you searched in to3, most of the times 3+1 vs 3+1. Halo3 was a game ahead of his time, Riot is implementing that system now 9 years later.

I remember playing in parties of 4 against parties of 3 kids I knew. It was definitely a thing. Atleast in some lists.

I played mostly in MLG and that never happened

I wish we had HCS playlist then Testing Playlist. Like I could see why they put these changes in Arena to force people to try it. But I also feel some people will just play less while these changes are in the Team Arena.

I think of instead of party restrictions, there should be these Ranked playlists.

Team Arena

FFA

Doubles

The rest is Social.

+1

Team Arena - parties of 4 or 3 + 1 (set to prioritize or potentially require like team composition)

Duo/Solo - solo or to2 with same or similar composition.

This is ideal imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Team Arena

FFA

Doubles

The rest is Social.

How about this:

Team HCS - Must be teams of 4. And official HCS gametypes only.

Team Arena (Solo/Duo queue only) - Mix of HCS gametypes and new maps/gametypes

FFA

Doubles

The rest is Social.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly think a sniper with 8 bullets in each cave would be great for coliseum.

Please open flag windows on empire again, gametype has become way too simple. 

Also, take out autos and radar on EVERYTHING.

halo 3 never did that. Unless it was patched out within the first week. Not even dead playlists like team obj/throwback had it. It was always 3v3 or 3+1 vs 3+1. Never 3+1v4. I feel like 3+1v4 happened in halo2 though but I can barely remember.

Heck the meta in 2011+ is literally search team of 3 if you can't beat the team of 4 searching or vice versa.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Get 6 friends

boot up halo 3.

Make a party of 3, and a party of 4.

Search team swat cause no1 searches swat.

Have fun never finding a game.

Also I know 3+1 never matched 4 because theres a party line on the right side of the gamertag box UI that indicates a party. And even if that wasn't enough it literally always went "3 players boxes found" then added the 2 separate other players (tho sometimes at the same time). You would never find 4 players at once.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2nd image is just to show the line wasn't for social only.

We still have radars in competitive. Blows my mind.

I just don't understand a good player enjoying it more than no radar. I really don't. No radar allows for a much bigger skill gap in awareness, sneakiness, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1