CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I would love to see how games would play out if there were no autos. 

Call me dumb, but can you explain the tiers & their timing to me? Am* i over thinking it. Are tier 2 just rockets and such on 3 minute spawns?

As MATCLAN explained already...

Tier 1 – 20s Respawn after pickup

Tier 2 – 10s Repsawn after deletion/despawn (aka only 1 exists at a time)

Tier 3 – Static Power Weapons

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tier 1 weapons are your rifles and automatics etc. Basic weapons. They spawn 20 seconds after being disturbed.

Tier 2 weapons are your Shotguns, Needlers, Plasma Pistols etc. They spawn 10 seconds after the previous incarnation has despawned.

Tier 3 weapons are on weapon pads and spawn at set intervals throughout the match.

Forge can be used to move weapons between tiers or to adjust the specific numbers involved in the respawning. A suggestion people have is bumping the Storm Rifle to Tier 2 so that there can never be more in play than spawn on the map at the start.

As MATCLAN explained already...

Tier 1 – 20s Respawn after pickup

Tier 2 – 10s Repsawn after deletion/despawn (aka only 1 exists at a time)

Tier 3 – Static Power Weapons

Cool, thanks buds.

Well i like that idea then. Quite a bit actually. 

343 is smart.

They put in things terrible for competitive play because they know people will get used to anything if it sticks around long enough. Sure, breakout got removed, but AR starts somehow are a thing now, and radar is too.

This way 343 was able to degenerate the competitive value of halo without people even protesting. They just made it the “new normal”.

Please stop defending radar, even if you are playing devil’s advocate. That said, the pro radar arguments I’ve seen don’t even make sense in the first place.

How does a tiny radar help keep movement abilities under control?

Radar never sucked worse at helping in run and gun than in Halo 5 because someone can go from half a map away to slide boosted straight onto your radar nearly in an instant.

Like Lemon said, radar in Halo 5 is only good for one thing, and that is being a camping asshole, and terrible for anything else.

We shouldn’t even be arguing about this radar nonsense, but instead about stuff that really matters like a utility weapon actually being a utility weapon or why I can effectively cross map people with an AR.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The more I play this game the more I become ok with radar being on.

The movements is fast and unpredictable as it is. Idk if I'd enjoy playing without a radar

I imagine its probably something you have to get used to (or again). Just like playing Team Hardcore/MLG for the first time instead of Slayer/Doubles/whatever, it was probably extremely weird.

Or Reach suddenly becoming NBNS, you no longer could play a certain way/do certain things because you no longer had sprint to fall back on and get you out of it, etc.

Id like to see plasma caster removed on empire for rockets or snipe. And put rockets in place of plasma caster on truth. And more maps with both camo and over shield.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Rockets spawning top mid on truth would just result in an uncontrolled rush everytime it spawned. That being said, the plasma caster has to be changed as I'd much prefer to pick up a stormrifle or SMG if given the choice. I'd be interested to see how well the beam rifle would work if it was swapped for the plasma caster. 

I think the Hydra has to be removed fullstop.

I'd also love a map with dual snipers. I miss the tense standoffs between two good snipers. The only map where this would be possible is Torque which needs massive work to be made competitive.

I honestly feel Overgrowth needs another chance with the Oddball game mode. All the corridors and choke points are an issue, as well as a few questionable weapon placements and grenade count, but I still feel it could be a good map. Camping with the ball in one room could easily be prevented with stagged spawns for the Camo, Rockets and maybe add one other power up, this would force teams to make circuits with the ball around the map depending on what is spawning next.

Then we get rid of the unpredictable movement and radar right along with them. Problem solved.

but this is halo 5 dude. we need armor abilities. because this is halo 5 dude. we need armor abilities. because
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We do not need Radar to help us do things we are supposed to be able to do as good halo players. How unpredictable can people sprinting and thrusting in a single direction get? Also wouldn't all the sick clamber jukes and movement make the game open for people to make sicker plays? I really don't get this argument. I just don't and I don't think I want to. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's working great guys

3dd1d5daeeee814166f74f0753eacda4.png

Can somebody try to make a post going in the opposite direction, but in a similar format, to see if that would get banned?

"I think radar and automatics in Arena settings are fine".

I accidentally coughed and got banned for 200 years and don't want to make a new account.

A suggestion people have is bumping the Storm Rifle to Tier 2 so that there can never be more in play than spawn on the map at the start.

How about we just delete them all instead?

Seriously, are they doing any good within the game right now?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How about we just delete them all instead?

Seriously, are they doing any good within the game right now?

I like having them for variety, but being able to run your entire team with an SMG or Storm rifle in their back pocket is bullshit. 1 MAYBE 2 auto's on the map is all there should be and they should be a tier 2 as someone said. With that said if everyone was for removing them entirely then I wouldn't oppose it.

Also, I would like to see the shotgun be replaced with the scattershot on every map in HCS. The scattershot fulfills the same role, but it harder to use and has a cooler mechanic in that you can ricochet shots around corners.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, I would like to see the shotgun be replaced with the scattershot on every map in HCS. The scattershot fulfills the same role, but it harder to use and has a cooler mechanic in that you can ricochet shots around corners.

I've thought about this as well, I'd like to see it happen.

While I look forward to update maps / playlists, I hope that the Halo Waypoint community doesn't have  much of an impact and 343 listen to the pro team / pro players more than anything tbh. Some of the suggestions on Waypoint were terrible.

While I look forward to update maps / playlists, I hope that the Halo Waypoint community doesn't have  much of an impact and 343 listen to the pro team / pro players more than anything tbh. Some of the suggestions on Waypoint were terrible.

But if they listen to pro players we'll still have radar!  :wutface:

I hate radar more than Trump. Please let's get rid of it in competitive.

Vote No Radar 2016

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can somebody try to make a post going in the opposite direction, but in a similar format, to see if that would get banned?

"I think radar and automatics in Arena settings are fine".

I accidentally coughed and got banned for 200 years and don't want to make a new account.

An example of the opposite direction would be something like "add Lockout, The Pit, Construct and Narrows".

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think of a 1 shot kill hydra with only 6 bullets?

I see no reason for this change.

What do you think of a 1 shot kill hydra with only 6 bullets?

I think the Hydra is in a good place right now. If you get caught with your pants down, it's gonna kill you.

My thread I made about the how the Arena ranking formula being flawed got locked and I was told to come here to post it even though the subject is more about the formula of arena and not so much about the actual gametypes/settings, here was my post:

Alright guys I've played over 2,500 games of Arena for Halo 5 and I've watched a ton of pro streams as well. And based on my experiences and on what I've heard, these seem to be the top 4 issues with arena, if they get fixed the playlist would be amazing. The reasons:

1) Add Party Restrictions:

-Make it so teams of four match teams of four, teams of three match teams of three, etc. Basically if you want high ranks to mean something, this has to be changed otherwise people can just search fours and match people who search solo for easy ranking.

2)Remove Dodging:

-You can boot your teammates or quit the build, both are dodging, and both don't result in a loss if you do it before the games starts. This needs to be changed so people can't purposely dodge players that are better than them to ensure easy winning and easy ranking.

3)Remove Unofficial Gametypes:

-Almost everyone dodges Overgrowth, Riptide, Torque, and the assault gametype. Nobody wants to play unofficial settings in the only competitive playlist. Instead there should be a playlist for testing that people can try new things out in. 

4)Add Ranking History

-In other games (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, and MCC), you could go onto another players profile and see their highest skill achieved. In Halo Reach you could go see players previous seasons of Arena from their player profile. It was cool because it was pretty much proof of how good a player was based on their season placement history. You could also see that players progress season by season. Now it only shows the current season on your player profile and it doesn't track your previous seasons, which kinda kills bragging rights and PROOF of skill.

Basically if all these things got changed for the better, arena playlist would be more fair (since like sized team sizes would match each other), more consistent(since players could no longer dodge to get high ranks), and more fun (since players wouldn't have to play unofficial gametypes). And if the ranking history was shown, players would get bragging rights for their highest rank, which is the heart of anything competitive, to show you're better.

I made this thread to spread awareness on the current bad quality state of arena in hopes that someone with more power than me could tell 343i or influence them in someway to get these things changed. Thanks for reading.

Like the above post says, I'm disappointed with how arena doesn't value bragging rights/proof of skill(ranking history), I was also salty about how you can dodge your way to a high rank, especially if you search 4s against people who aren't. It all needs to be fixed so I'm gonna randomly bring it up every so often until it is fixed to increase the odds of spreading awareness and for letting the right pair of eyes fall on to it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's working great guys

3dd1d5daeeee814166f74f0753eacda4.png

Sounds like you should of explained why they need to be removed with good reasoning for why. If you just say to do something without explaining why it's gonna come off cold and be seen as negative. However if you explain why, odds are you'll be seen as more constructive and come off in a more positive way. If they still ban you after you explain why nicely, then they're forever closed minded and being able to influence them would seem basically pointless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) Add Party Restrictions:

-Make it so teams of four match teams of four, teams of three match teams of three, etc. Basically if you want high ranks to mean something, this has to be changed otherwise people can just search fours and match people who search solo for easy ranking.

I agree with most of your post but this.

If 343 implement HARD Party restrictions, then you will have high rank individual players who suck as team players and discourage playing as a team (long search times).

Right now, the ranking system (in a TEAM playlist) encourage playing with teammates. This is a good thing, players who play on organized teams will climb to higher ranks that players who choose to play alone.

I am all for SOFT Party restrictions (ala Halo 3), meaning the system will try to match To4 vs To4, but if not found after a certain time it will expand search to vs To3, then To2, then randoms.

I know it sucks getting bad teammates, but we can't expect climbing to high ranks (high Onyx, Champion) if we always play alone in a Team based playlist.

Nerf Storm Rifles, make them and SMGs "tier 2" weapons where they have the same respawn properties as shotguns, swords, etc. and I'll be happy. That's literally all I ask

I agree with most of your post but this.

If 343 implement HARD Party restrictions, then you will have high rank individual players who suck as team players and discourage playing as a team (long search times).

Right now, the ranking system (in a TEAM playlist) encourage playing with teammates. This is a good thing, players who play on organized teams will climb to higher ranks that players who choose to play alone.

I am all for SOFT Party restrictions (ala Halo 3), meaning the system will try to match To4 vs To4, but if not found after a certain time it will expand search to vs To3, then To2, then randoms.

I know it sucks getting bad teammates, but we can't expect climbing to high ranks (high Onyx, Champion) if we always play alone in a Team based playlist.

First of all party restrictions are a MUST if you want your ranking system to have any integrity at all. A To4 that is the same skill level as you individually will run a train on you if you play with randoms. This is a fact. Second, Halo 3 did not have soft party restrictions. It had the most rigid system out of (maybe) any Halo game. Teams 100% matched other teams and solo players matched solo players (or had a To2 on each team). "Promoting team play" basically means "playing solo fucking blows" and that is NOT how a game should be.
  • Upvote (+1) 4