CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I've been wondering what it would be like (this probably won't happen within H5's lifespan) if Tier 1 weapons were on the Tier 2 respawn system.

Obviously Tier 3 (Statics) and Powerups would remain how they are, but Tier 1s (BRs, SMGs, etc.) would only respawn upon deletion.

It would require a ton of testing because the trade off would be less randomness and more Pistol v. Pistol gunfights, but less equal opportunity to have your weapon of choice. Currently all you have to do is wait 15-20 seconds at a weapon spawn and you receive an automatic upgrade from the Pistol. This can lead to a bit of snowballing when a team of four has full BRs and Storm Rifles and the spawners have ARs/Pistols.

It would cement player roles by limiting a team to one Rifle/Automatic upgrade at a time.

An additional way to balance this philosophy is to lower the amount of ammo in Tier 1s so if they are brought too far away from spawn a team can't horde all the BRs for too long without having to retrieve them again.

This would also remove the INFURIATING issue of picking up a weapon from its spawn point and having no ammo because someone snatched the ammo from it. DRIVES ME NUTS. :wutface:

I actually mentioned before H5 came out that I would prefer the rifles/autos to be on the same timer as shorties because it would limit how many were on a map at any given point (obviously an opinion since it hasn't been tested). But I really feel like it would play better if this were the case. The fact that, on a map like empire, the enemies can make you go 4 down and grab multiple SRs is insane. Your AR doesn't stand a chance.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I actually mentioned before H5 came out that I would prefer the rifles/autos to be on the same timer as shorties because it would limit how many were on a map at any given point (obviously an opinion since it hasn't been tested). But I really feel like it would play better if this were the case. The fact that, on a map like empire, the enemies can make you go 4 down and grab multiple SRs is insane. Your AR doesn't stand a chance.

Yup. There would be times where people still would get outgunned in a BR vs. Pistol gunfight, but in a far more consistent manner.

Snowballing would be far less prevalent, and it would enforce player roles and strategy (in my opinion). The game would no longer be about just grabbing a Storm or BR as soon as you walk over it. 

Depth can develop from where you place your teams BR, how you move your SMG around the map, etc. Taking out a team's Light Rifle player on Fathom would open up your team for the midfield/top control, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yup. There would be times where people still would get outgunned in a BR vs. Pistol gunfight, but in a far more consistent manner.

Snowballing would be far less prevalent, and it would enforce player roles and strategy (in my opinion). The game would no longer be about just grabbing a Storm or BR as soon as you walk over it.

Depth can develop from where you place your teams BR, how you move your SMG around the map, etc. Taking out a team's Light Rifle player on Fathom would open up your team for the midfield/top control, etc.

And I would 100% prefer Halo 5 to be that than what it is now. I really think this kind of stuff should at leasts be attempted since this game is gonna last for 3 years. Maybe this would make more people enjoy it.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What do ars, smgs, and storm rifles add to the game?

Variety to the competitive sandbox.

However radar needs to be removed or the autos like storm rifle and smg need a nerf cause the radar bait is always gonna happen. 

Radar honestly is so small that I think hurts the game at times because it destroys those sneaky pushes, and aggression in certain scenarios. 

My two cents.

Hey 343 mind giving us the numbers you're using to weigh each map and gametype so I can confirm you did indeed put the new crap gametypes/maps higher than the tournament ones?

Ty

Hey 343 mind giving us the numbers you're using to weigh each map and gametype so I can confirm you did indeed put the new crap gametypes/maps higher than the tournament ones?

Ty

I don't know why you need to confirm it personally - it's clear that the new maps are weighted higher.

I don't know why you need to confirm it personally - it's clear that the new maps are weighted higher.

I want them to say it, then I want them to explain why.

Community interaction is a good thing :)

Variety to the competitive sandbox.

However radar needs to be removed or the autos like storm rifle and smg need a nerf cause the radar bait is always gonna happen.

Radar honestly is so small that I think hurts the game at times because it destroys those sneaky pushes, and aggression in certain scenariois.

My two cents.

I should have said my main problem is the fact that you spawn with ARs. I don't understand what spawning with an automatic noobcannon in your back pocket adds to the game. Finding them on the map isn't as bad.

Someday, someone will give a legitimate reason for why we need "variety" in the sandbox at the direct expense of optimal function.  

Today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Someday, someone will give a legitimate reason for why we need "variety" in the sandbox at the direct expense of optimal function.  

I get frustrated when I get out-gunned by precision weapons, so we need more weapon variety so I can be better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Even if someone did give you a real, logical reason it would in some part be based in the idea of people playing certain positions like you would in a class based game. Personally I think that is so wrong in a game like Halo I don't even know where to begin. That just isn't our game.

Some notion that being closer to the base game attracts more viewers despite there being little to no evidence for that.

Assuming we are talking about competitive arena and not just arena matchmaking.

With the maps I can't be 100% confident with all of my ideas w/o testing, i'm not perfect but hopefully some kind of aspiration can be made if these ideas are taken into consideration. 

-Take out Rig strongholds or make BR base side more favorable. Especially when ppl get basement initial spawns. That map is too favorable to one team off spawn. Not too sure how they could fix this, I don't find rotating strongholds in other areas to be very effective.

-Rig slayer needs to take off sniper completely. OR move around weapon spawns. Like have sniper spawn where caster is and move camo top tower.

-Eden slayer: Either add another sniper or take off the blue sniper. I would also take off the BR on blue alley so that blue side isn't as favored because of abundance of range weapons and it's height advantage.

-Eden strongholds: OS and rockets near red spawn are OP af. I would just add rockets and camo or something to favor both sides, not just red off spawn...

-Empire strongholds and flag: Map is good, I just have problems with storm, smg, and shotty being on the map. Too much op use. 

-Fathom: actually relatively balanced i'd just reduce the ammo count in rail gun and make the areas with pulse nades have one nade and not two. 

-Truth: also relatively balanced, sword is debatable because of it's ridiculous map movement usage unless we can somehow take out inc movement speed... I'd also take out camo and caster but that's just because I would like to see a map purely using base weapons like heretic. I think it would make it more interesting but I'm not too against with camo and caster being taken out. 

-Regret: I'd leave it as a slayer and nothing more... maybe KoTH if that comes... Definitely take out fuel or only make ONE clip 10 shots is just overkill. Take out needler and move plasma pistol in it's replace. Also I'd take out carbine spawning bottom base and move it where dmr spawns and then have a dmr spawn where plasma pistol would be. 

-Plaza: Strongholds: Move camo to shotty spawn. It allows more favorable movement to yard and doesn't completely fuck the other team when getting isolated in yard area because one team can easily control rail and camo...

-Plaza: Slayer: I feel that O.S should be replaced with camo and should also be moved somewhere on the opposite side of the map from sniper. Kind of like how guardian did with sniper and camo...

Coliseum: Besides the rockets spawning around the same time as sniper or every two minutes is my only problem...

Overall: I feel like the symmetrical maps are relatively good, however it seems like the asymmetrical maps aren't. Reason being that some weapons or power ups are being used somewhere in the center of the map. Of course some maps that are SLIGHTLY asymmetrical like eden with rocket spawns could probably pull this off but like fighting for o.s on bridge and having sniper at nest, in plaza, just seems pretty dumb especially when blue clearly gets the advantage on start including it's height advantage, for example. 

I believe these category of settings should be permanent or looked at for improvement at the least

-Take out radar

-Nerf smg/storm or take them out and replace them with AR's while also removing AR start. 

-Take out Shotgun completely, as well as scattershot. 

-If AR/Smg/storm/shotty/scatter is kept for what ever reason REDUCE SPAWN TIME. It's ridiculous how shotty/scatter have such fast respawns considering they're power weapons....

-Rail Gun needs 4 shots max, not 6. 

-Rockets need to be a 3 minute spawn and sniper as a 2 minute respawn. I just don't want both of these weapons spawning around the same time which seems to happen constantly...

-NO UNTESTED MAPS/GAMETYPES SHOULD EVER BE IN ARENA COMPETITIVE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY WON'T BE USED IN COMPETITIVE AT ALL.

-If this does actually get added to competitive, found assault better when the bomb actually exploded. Also fix the spawning because having the enemy spawn on the enemy side of the map makes it nearly impossible to stop an arm. 

-Also forge needs to be fixed so we can start bringing possible community maps that could be used or something. H5 forge has been completely neglected because of it's glitches etc. It's definitely the best forging through out all the halos and people in the community could definitely make some worth playing. Especially better than torque and riptide...

Although I've made a long list of items, I still love the gameplay of H5 however I believe it still hasn't reached its full potential in competitive game play at least. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that they 1) openly asked for feedback on design choices, and 2) did it on Waypoint is kind of blowing my mind right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People aren't even giving feedback they're just saying "do this" with no reasons behind it. I just hope radar is gone.

I really doubt anyone ever will. Why do we need 5 weapons that are just better, easier versions of the magnum/AR?

"On map weapons are supposed to be better. That's the point!" 

So, what's the point of having equal starts if everyone is just running to the nearest spawn point to pick up the better, easier versions, immediately making encounters uneven again?

"Every weapon is useful, guys. You just want it to be like Halo 3 where people only used the BR!"

So, when I spawn with an AR and immediately get killed by someone who picked up one of the many, many Storm Rifles, was I just outplayed?

"Adapt."

• Upvote (+1) 3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRT9FpLazo

How would number 10 play out if defy had radar?

You are only looking at the argument at face value. Of course we want flanking and unpredictable close quarters plays, but the problem that arises is that H5's movement is so erratic and unpredictable that a moment like this could happen at any second. What if Defy had just called out Squared at Blue Ramp and he had Sprinted and Slide Boosted all the way to Shotgun, and jumped up in a matter of seconds?

Radar is providing consistency that doesn't exist because of the insane movement.

Note: I want radar removed too, but you are using completely anecdotal evidence. If you can't look at the reasons radar is in competitive currently then you aren't going to effectively convince them to remove it. You have to be objective