CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I remember when we used to all laugh at halo 2's bullshit magnetism during the h2-hr era.

343 took it and said it wasn't ridiculous enough. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember when we used to all laugh at halo 2's bullshit magnetism during the h2-hr era.

343 took it and said it wasn't ridiculous enough. 

Lol at seeing my video gif'd into your sig. 16x9 does strange things in 3rd person.

Lol at seeing my video gif'd into your sig. 16x9 does strange things in 3rd person.

its actually 5:2 because thats the maximum dimensions allowed. I could have made it smaller to be 16:9 but it ends up too small imo. 4:3 into 5:2 would cut some body pieces off

But yeah this portion was made pretty well

its actually 5:2 because thats the maximum dimensions allowed. I could have made it smaller to be 16:9 but it ends up too small imo. 4:3 into 5:2 would cut some body pieces off

But yeah this portion was made pretty well

I was referring to when I recorded it. I capped it on a 360 on a monitor. It makes things look a little different from 3rd person, like the melee ranges and the grenade radius. I imagine those things wouldn't like quite as absurd if I had recorded in 4:3. Thanks for the compliment. It illustrates the point well, even if it does look weird.

Alright let’s do this.

Let’s say H5 was going to get another season of competitive play. Tweaks to weapons, player traits, weapon layouts, spawns timers, and gametype rules are all on the table. What would you like to see?

Personally, i’d like to increase competitive integrity w/o creating an experience that’s completely foreign to people who favor or have grown accustom to the current state of Halo. Obviously, I think it would be best if all the fluff was cut, but I also think a good game can exist along side some of 343s additions.

I’d start with the weapons: rather than trying and probably failing with universal tweaks to the weapons sandbox, I’d release a suite of competitively viable weapons. Call it the “Champions Req pack” or something like that. Include a 3/4 shot magnum with less magnetism, copy HaloCEs AR, PR, and Sniper. Revert the railgun back to projectile. Revert to the Original H5BR, then reduce its magnetism and RRR. Revert back to Original H5DMR, then make it a 3shot beatdown and reduce the magnetism. Go back to the original plasmacaster. Copy the Reach GL.

I’d remove sprint. But If that wasn’t an option, I’d bump up BMS and reduce sprint speed so that they are equal. This way sprint would become a risk/reward mechanic rather than a required action.

I’d increase jump height such that clamber can be removed, but increase gravity so that you arent floating forever every time you make a jump.

Ihruster I’d remove. But If it had to stay, I’d reduce its distance AND it’s cool down time- making it less of a crutch, but also less of a liability in 1v1+ situations.

Spartan Charge and GP can just leave.

I haven’t really thought about anything else yet so I’ll update some more later.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Changes 343 might actually be willing to implement:

- Change magnum to 4sk.  Same perfect kill time, still 7 body shots to kill - 343 has stated that the magnum is now OP.  While we can all agree that sentiment is ridiculous, it also means that making its perfect kill time faster is frankly not an option.  At least by doing this misses are punished more so it doesn't "feel" so "OP" if you aren't getting headshotted.  It also increases the delta between perfect, max and average kill times.

- Reduce Sniper magnetism/hitboxes whatever the fuck it is that give out headshots like candy.  The main issue with the sniper isn't that it hits shot easily, its that it hit headshots easily and is the easiest sniper to get no-scopes with in the history of the franchise.  by far.  At least, for the love of god, make it so you actually have to aim at the head to get a headshot.  If longer range requires you to lead a little bit, thats not a bad thing either.

- Caster.... just stop using it.  When it actually powerful enough to not be embarrassed by the other power weapons its basically an "oh shit stare at the floor and spam" weapon.  When its radius is smaller and so it actually needs to be aimed, its too slow and avoidable because of advanced movement.  Just stop using it, i don't see a way to have this thing work properly as long as sprint and thrust are a thing.

- Nade Launcher - Unlike caster, this thing actually has 1sk potential, so even with thrust and slide its useful.  Make it actually function like the Reach launcher and add it to maps straight away.

- Weapon placement - I will have to think a little more about this but in general power weapons shouldn't also be place in power positions.  Place them in lesser used areas of the maps.

- Stasis - Up to a point, i actually like this map but the higher levels you go, the more apparent that the non-symmetrical parts of the geometry give one side an advantage.  Edit the map so its actually properly symmetrical and it could be a fine flag map.

- Oddball and Assault.  it goes without saying really.  Both of these gametypes need to be added to the rotation. Hopefully the spawn blocking of the oddball fixes that gametype.  Assault may take more work.

- Forge maps.  Pick a good forge map.  If we can get one new map and 2 new gametypes that would help A LOT.

- Combine the HCS and Team Arena playlists. and NO this does NOT mean coming to some sort of "compromise" with the settings.  The settings should absolutely be HCS settings however, i would like to see this playlist have say 30 gametypes in it to give it more variety.  While everything in this list should be competition-ready, they don't all necessarily need to be in the current competitive rotation.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Changes 343 might actually be willing to implement:

- Change magnum to 4sk.  Same perfect kill time, still 7 body shots to kill - 343 has stated that the magnum is now OP.  While we can all agree that sentiment is ridiculous, it also means that making its perfect kill time faster is frankly not an option.  At least by doing this misses are punished more so it doesn't "feel" so "OP" if you aren't getting headshotted.  It also increases the delta between perfect, max and average kill times.

- Reduce Sniper magnetism/hitboxes whatever the fuck it is that give out headshots like candy.  The main issue with the sniper isn't that it hits shot easily, its that it hit headshots easily and is the easiest sniper to get no-scopes with in the history of the franchise.  by far.  At least, for the love of god, make it so you actually have to aim at the head to get a headshot.  If longer range requires you to lead a little bit, thats not a bad thing either.

- Caster.... just stop using it.  When it actually powerful enough to not be embarrassed by the other power weapons its basically an "oh shit stare at the floor and spam" weapon.  When its radius is smaller and so it actually needs to be aimed, its too slow and avoidable because of advanced movement.  Just stop using it, i don't see a way to have this thing work properly as long as sprint and thrust are a thing.

- Nade Launcher - Unlike caster, this thing actually has 1sk potential, so even with thrust and slide its useful.  Make it actually function like the Reach launcher and add it to maps straight away.

- Weapon placement - I will have to think a little more about this but in general power weapons shouldn't also be place in power positions.  Place them in lesser used areas of the maps.

- Stasis - Up to a point, i actually like this map but the higher levels you go, the more apparent that the non-symmetrical parts of the geometry give one side an advantage.  Edit the map so its actually properly symmetrical and it could be a fine flag map.

- Oddball and Assault.  it goes without saying really.  Both of these gametypes need to be added to the rotation. Hopefully the spawn blocking of the oddball fixes that gametype.  Assault may take more work.

- Forge maps.  Pick a good forge map.  If we can get one new map and 2 new gametypes that would help A LOT.

- Combine the HCS and Team Arena playlists. and NO this does NOT mean coming to some sort of "compromise" with the settings.  The settings should absolutely be HCS settings however, i would like to see this playlist have say 30 gametypes in it to give it more variety.  While everything in this list should be competition-ready, they don't all necessarily need to be in the current competitive rotation.

I pretty much agree with all of this. 4sk magnum with the same perfect kill time and the same body shots to kill as now is something I've wanted for a while. It's technically a slight nerf, but gives the benefit of rewarding proper thrust timing a little more. I'd be ok with lowering the unscoped magnetism on sniper to H3 levels or removing it entirely, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary unless we go back to 2 spare clips (In which case I'm all for it).

Nade Launcher needs a lot of work, but if it get's fixed I'd love to see it used over Caster. It provides a timing skill requirement that you basically don't see anywhere else in Halo and I'm all for it.

Stasis is at this point a lost cause, IMO. Without overhauling the geometry of the map it's not going to play well, and I really doubt we'll see something like that happening.

Oddball I'm sure will be tested, and I imagine it will be a lot better with the spawn changes, but we'll have to wait and see if it holds up. Bomb I think requires similar adjustments to really work, and I don't think it's going to get that attention (regrettable considering how good it can be if it's properly tuned)

As far as forge maps go, I'd love to see CTF on this get tested: https://www.forgehub.com/maps/russet.6203/ I've been trying to get some games on this since it came out, but I think it has a lot of potential.

And yeah I think it's a pretty clear cut issue that the competitive settings should be used in arena. Maybe along side 3 or 4 new maps/gametypes that could potentially get used. The playlist is a pretty good testing ground despite the fact that the past few times, the maps/gametypes being tested haven't been good.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I pretty much agree with all of this. 4sk magnum with the same perfect kill time and the same body shots to kill as now is something I've wanted for a while. It's technically a slight nerf, but gives the benefit of rewarding proper thrust timing a little more. I'd be ok with lowering the unscoped magnetism on sniper to H3 levels or removing it entirely, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary unless we go back to 2 spare clips (In which case I'm all for it).

Nade Launcher needs a lot of work, but if it get's fixed I'd love to see it used over Caster. It provides a timing skill requirement that you basically don't see anywhere else in Halo and I'm all for it.

Stasis is at this point a lost cause, IMO. Without overhauling the geometry of the map it's not going to play well, and I really doubt we'll see something like that happening.

Oddball I'm sure will be tested, and I imagine it will be a lot better with the spawn changes, but we'll have to wait and see if it holds up. Bomb I think requires similar adjustments to really work, and I don't think it's going to get that attention (regrettable considering how good it can be if it's properly tuned)

As far as forge maps go, I'd love to see CTF on this get tested: https://www.forgehub.com/maps/russet.6203/ I've been trying to get some games on this since it came out, but I think it has a lot of potential.

And yeah I think it's a pretty clear cut issue that the competitive settings should be used in arena. Maybe along side 3 or 4 new maps/gametypes that could potentially get used. The playlist is a pretty good testing ground despite the fact that the past few times, the maps/gametypes being tested haven't been good.

Why is that map named after a Potato?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Couldn't we replace snipe with a Beam Rifle? I'm pretty sure it has less magnetism, it has less ammo, and it can't be stacked.

Caster's problem is spam, right? Make the tap fire require the balls to reach a certain distance before they can detonate. That would eliminate close range panic fire immediately. If you fire it in such a way that they never reach that distance, the balls must settle on the ground before exploding. You could also think about buffing the charge shot to make that the more enticing method of using the weapon. I would suggest an increase to the blast radius. That way it rewards premeditated usage.

Fathom flag should have 10 second respawns.  I would prefer every objective gametype have 10 second respawns, and then just increase the score limit.

Slayer should have 5 second respawns, and every item should spawn faster but have less ammo. The items are the only thing that makes Slayer work as a gametype. Let's make this gametype feel different than obj. 1 minute powerups. 1 minute rockets with 2 shots. 2 minute Beam Rifles. You get the idea.

And can someone explain what exactly the problem has been with Assault? Is it too easy to score? Too hard? Do enemies respawn too close to their own base? Are respawn times too short? I don't get it. It seems like something that we could have fixed a long time ago.

Couldn't we replace snipe with a Beam Rifle? I'm pretty sure it has less magnetism, it has less ammo, and it can't be stacked.

Caster's problem is spam, right? Make the tap fire require the balls to reach a certain distance before they can detonate. That would eliminate close range panic fire immediately. If you fire it in such a way that they never reach that distance, the balls must settle on the ground before exploding. You could also think about buffing the charge shot to make that the more enticing method of using the weapon. I would suggest an increase to the blast radius. That way it rewards premeditated usage.

Fathom flag should have 10 second respawns. I would prefer every objective gametype have 10 second respawns, and then just increase the score limit.

Slayer should have 5 second respawns, and every item should spawn faster but have less ammo. The items are the only thing that makes Slayer work as a gametype. Let's make this gametype feel different than obj. 1 minute powerups. 1 minute rockets with 2 shots. 2 minute Beam Rifles. You get the idea.

And can someone explain what exactly the problem has been with Assault? Is it too easy to score? Too hard? Do enemies respawn too close to their own base? Are respawn times too short? I don't get it. It seems like something that we could have fixed a long time ago.

I like everything here...

iirc the problem with Assault was players spawning too close to their base when a team was arming. The problem was amplified by the fact that they could fly back to their base to stop the score.

It got a little bit better when they slowed down the reset timer.

Fathom flag should have 10 second respawns.  I would prefer every objective gametype have 10 second respawns, and then just increase the score limit.

I like this, responding in order.

Beam Rifle is objectively better but is just so wonky to sell. If it wasn't Halo esports I'd say hell yeah but people want the Sniper. Prayers it is a skillful weapon in H6.

Plasma Caster was fine in Vanilla H5, it just took people too long to learn how to use it, and it was only on Rig/Truth. The 'buff' they made to it dulled the weapon to the floor spammer it is today. Should have just been a blast radius or damage increase but instead they messed with detonation times. I will say this though: I still do enjoy the Plasma Caster on Regret Slayer and think it is way better than the Grenade Launcher and many other weapons for competitive play.

5 second Slayer respawns.

10 second CTF respawns.

Either 5 or 8 second Stronghold respawns, I don't really know if I'd want SH to be changed.

I agree with Slayer needing faster item spawns, but items popping up every minute can get a little hectic. I do like H5's current rhythm a good amount. Slayer maps as a whole should be using more powerups. Plaza and Eden Slayer (bring it back!) should both have 1-2 powerups, Coliseum Slayer could swap Rockets for Overshield.

Scattershot should be on a Weapon Pad as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

imo all objective games should have 10 second respawns.  Assault's problem was similar to Oddball where the spawns were just wacked.  Enemy team could be controlling your entire side of the map and you would spawn right with them and get a stop on the bomb plant or there would just be some guy trying to sneaky-arm and you would spawn clear across the map (or any option in between).  There was no rhyme or reason to it.  I would like to try it with 10 second respawns. Give an extra couple seconds for the players on the map to "settle" and see if that help spawns.

Another issue with Assault is the relative power of grenades.  You're a sitting duck in the arm spot so with the fast respawn and huge nade radius, you can get bombed out even with total control of the map.  Strongsiding also doesn't work nearly as well in this game as H2/H3, so you'll still get headshotted even with staring straight at the ground trying to buy the last half second needed to arm.  I believe the issue with the bomb not killing people in the area has been corrected, though its still more of a "Light show" than explosion, which makes arming pretty anti-climactic and sucks some of the fun out.

I would love to try 10 second respawns on flag with 5 caps to win, unless they add a Sanc remake.  That could be 3 caps.  The problem with sanc is that its destined to be a 2 sniper map, and unless they fix the sniper it would just be a shitshow. but i digress...

I honestly just dont see any world where the caster works in this game.  The only way they can make it useful while retaining H5s movement mechanics (which is going to happen, so lets not even pretend we can realistically ask for it to be turned off) would be to make the charged explosive much more powerful.  Have it eat multiple rounds of ammo the longer you charge it.  If you make the caster any harder to use, it simply wont be picked up regardless of power. If you make the projectiles faster to mitigate H5's movement/escapability, you end up with something that is basically a weak, spammy rocket launcher.  The original form of the caster with a slight radius buff would probably be a good weapon.... but only without advanced movement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would personally like one or two new maps (maybe from Forge or re-purpose some 343 maps) and oddball at the very least. 

WE NEED SOMETHING NEW! Hopefully the pro players can agree with this sentiment.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I would love to try 10 second respawns on flag with 5 caps to win, unless they add a Sanc remake. That could be 3 caps. The problem with sanc is that its destined to be a 2 sniper map, and unless they fix the sniper it would just be a shitshow. but i digress...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the H2 beam variant have the least amount of auto aim of any of the snipers in the game? I feel like this would fix a lot of issues in general with HCS let alone using 2 snipe map variants.

• Upvote (+1) 2