CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

I still say that Sword Base is the worst map in the franchise

We can all agree that Sword Base is in it owns category of bad, nothing is that bad, not even boardwalk.

We can all agree that Sword Base is in it owns category of bad, nothing is that bad, not even boardwalk.

I still think overgrowth is worse.  From a design standpoint it may not be the worst, but when you combine that with sprint and AA's, its terrible.

Sword base is pretty fucking close though.  jetpack spam and camping lift with armor lock was real depressing.

None of you played the new version of Solitary that was in ffa and doubles, did you? I’m not talking about the prisoner version in Anniversary. I’m talking about SOLITARY. I defy anyone to explain why any map ever is worse than that one. Any argument to the contrary must be based on unfamiliarity with the ass cancer that is all gameplay on Solitary.

Sword Base is dogshit, but it could at least play certain things well (Headhunter, KotH, etc). There is literally nothing that can be fun on Solitary.

I feel like once you're dealing with a certain level of terrible, the criteria becomes, "Does a scenario exist where players could have fun on this map, and if so, how many?"

Chiron has those scenarios by way of goofy party games. Solitary does not. Literally nothing plays well on that map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tbh I completely forgot about Infection. I never play it and thus don’t ever think about it.Yeah, I suppose it could play that ok. But standard gametypes? Forget about it. All horrible. Hands down the hardest map to rifle someone to death, maybe ever. Epitaph might give it a run for its money but that’s it. Solitary is like “90 Degree Turns: The Map”. Ugh, it was so absurdly terrible I genuinely wonder how the hell it passed any kind of approval process or playtesting. I don’t know how it even passed a sketch-up phase because one look at their intention should immediately tell you it’s complete grundle-paste.

On-topic: Anyone have any thoughts on Plaza's weapon layout?

OS top mid needs to go. I'm always going to advocate for 2 powerups on the map in Slayer, as I feel that's correct Halo, so that's the first thing I would do. Perhaps OS in Hotel and Camo in Tram? I've always liked the Prisoner model of making the OS a defensive powerup by fortifying the top/in control part of the map, and the camo as the offensive powerup by enabling the bottom/out of control part of the map. I'm also a HUGE fan of 1 minute powerups in TS. They push the pace and lead to meaningful fights more often. Plus, since powerups get burned so damned often, they should spawn more frequently, especially in Slayer. 

The snipe can stay where it's at. Maybe a GL instead of a PP in Yard, on a 2 minute timer with 3-4 shots?

• Upvote (+1) 1

OS top mid needs to go. I'm always going to advocate for 2 powerups on the map in Slayer, as I feel that's correct Halo, so that's the first thing I would do. Perhaps OS in Hotel and Camo in Tram? I've always liked the Prisoner model of making the OS a defensive powerup by fortifying the top/in control part of the map, and the camo as the offensive powerup by enabling the bottom/out of control part of the map. I'm also a HUGE fan of 1 minute powerups in TS. They push the pace and lead to meaningful fights more often. Plus, since powerups get burned so damned often, they should spawn more frequently, especially in Slayer. 

The snipe can stay where it's at. Maybe a GL instead of a PP in Yard, on a 2 minute timer with 3-4 shots?

I like Yard as a combat space, I've always thought a team fight for a powerup would be nice in there. Camo would be cool because it would put a lot of urgency on teams setup around Cinema/Sniper. Map just seems super lopsided with OS top mid.

It definitely would be a cool map for two powerups, but I'm not sure how Sniper would play into that type of layout.

For Slayer, I think a Tier 2 weapon Bottom Mid (Platform or U-Turn) could add some depth as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like Yard as a combat space, I've always thought a team fight for a powerup would be nice in there. Camo would be cool because it would put a lot of urgency on teams setup around Cinema/Sniper. Map just seems super lopsided with OS top mid.

It definitely would be a cool map for two powerups, but I'm not sure how Sniper would play into that type of layout.

For Slayer, I think a Tier 2 weapon Bottom Mid (Platform or U-Turn) could add some depth as well.

What do you think of:

GL bottom mid (cutting out the Storm Rifle).

Camo in the elevator where Shotgun can be found in Yard (Shotgun removed if it was in Slayer; I can't remember).

PP moved to Tram on top of the box that mirrors the one where Camo is found on overgrowth.

Sniper swapped with OS. Adjust plasma grenade placement as necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think of:

Camo in the elevator where Shotgun can be found in Yard (Shotgun removed if it was in Slayer; I can't remember).

PP moved to Tram on top of the box that mirrors the one where Camo is found on overgrowth.

Sniper swapped with OS. Adjust plasma grenade placement as necessary.

I like power weapons top kid a lot as opposed to powerups, because you can’t burn a weapon, and you can nade them to yourself. This would be way better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The thing about putting an OS in yard is that either it'll end up being a freeby for the losing team or the map will flip around and just hiding on that half of the map will be quite good. People need reasons to leave areas like that instead of reasons to stay. I always think putting camo in the disadvantaged side of the map on asyms is the correct move. Make it easy to setup and take when you're in a bad position so that you can fight out of it. OS is something that should be contested and placed so that the dominant team on the map has the advantage but its not 100% certain they'll take it if the other team actually tries to fight for it

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you think of:

Sniper swapped with OS. Adjust plasma grenade placement as necessary

I like power weapons top kid a lot as opposed to powerups, because you can’t burn a weapon, and you can nade them to yourself. This would be way better.

Solid layout. I agree about neutral power weapons.

Not sure how I'd feel about Plasma Pistol in Tram, and GL really should be a weapon pad weapon, IMO.

I'd probably throw PP Bottom Mid (U-Turn or Bottom Dip) with an SMG/Gunfighter in Tram.

GL really should be a weapon pad weapon, IMO

Yeah there’s people like me that take advantage of the quick spawn time. I had games where I would just control it the entire time and the opposing team didn’t stand a chance.

For example,

Yeah there’s people like me that take advantage of the quick spawn time. I had games where I would just control it the entire time and the opposing team didn’t stand a chance.

For example,

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ZR91/video/40165619

Why is this thing so easy to use still.

I've been saying Plasma Caster was better balanced since that nuclear weapon was released. And Tier 2? Oof.

Make it an actual EMP effect instead of a super nuke for the second firing mode and then let's talk. Extra shame too because Halo 5 could use more anti-shield options other than the Plasma Pistol.