CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

Agree with everything but place storm rifles on the scuba platforms....exposed position with actual risk vs reward

Very interesting, I like that a lot.

Would need to be tested though, because after you manage to obtain one, pretty much ever area you can bring it to is a severe advantage. Bring it to Splinters and its a free Melee Kill, dancing with someone around Vats is super easy with a Storm, and it would also make the fight for Camo even more claustrophobic than it already is.

Plus I don't think I can bear another map w/ two Storms. I think you're right in saying that that is a good spot to put them, but I don't think the rest of the map's design lends itself to fair use of the weapon.

Other Topic:

Assault is inevitably coming to the HCS Pro League. What maps do y'all think it should be played on?

IMO...

• Truth
  • Regret
  • Coliseum
  • maybe Empire

I'm sorry but I had to sign in and say sometimes you say the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet since 1997.

How can you POSSIBLY say this.

You don't go from Top 16-Top 8 simple because you have a better shot.

So being a pro means you understand game mechanics at a fundamental level? I'm glad playing a video game at a high level means you automatically understand game design. Come on bro let's think for a minute.

*insert quotes that pros have said over the years

Very interesting, I like that a lot.

Would need to be tested though, because after you manage to obtain one, pretty much ever area you can bring it to is a severe advantage. Bring it to Splinters and its a free Melee Kill, dancing with someone around Vats is super easy with a Storm, and it would also make the fight for Camo even more claustrophobic than it already is.

Plus I don't think I can bear another map w/ two Storms. I think you're right in saying that that is a good spot to put them, but I don't think the rest of the map's design lends itself to fair use of the weapon.

Alternatively place storm rifle bottom mid and camo and OS on opposing vats

Want arena maps with two powerups man

Alternatively place storm rifle bottom mid and camo and OS on opposing vats

Want arena maps with two powerups man

Inverse Symmetrical Maps dig their own graves because placing asymmetrical items can be argued as unbalanced since each team takes a separate route to get to them. Then you create the problem of having to place two of the same items on both sides (Torque Double Hammers).

I think the Railgun/Camo dynamic is really well done in Fathom's current state, so I wouldn't want to make any drastic changes and shake up the balance of the map. Hence why I believe simply removing Storms + BRs will make everything play smoother.

Fathom is (essentially) a copy/paste version of Sanctuary for Halo 5. Heavy and predictable Vat (Rock) Spawns, importance of Top Control w/ Power Weapon, etc. I think a map like this should focus more on raw gunplay (Pistols, less variables) compared to a map like Truth where BRs, Carbines, SMGs, all help diversify the meta of objective gameplay.

Other Topic:

Assault is inevitably coming to the HCS Pro League. What maps do y'all think it should be played on?

Less is more, IMO. Give us Coliseum Bomb and maybe Truth Bomb, but that's about it. Regret and Empire are both pretty meh. Good enough for matchmaking, but I would hope no one ever has to play them for money. Would be interested to see some added throw-distance for Assault as well. Right now I've been seeing a lot of bomb games end 1-0 or 2-1, and most of the arms are sneaky arms as opposed to actually controlling the other team's base and pushing it in. This can be largely attributed to 8-second respawn I think (huge advantage for the defending team vs older games), and the double-thrust isn't doing enough to correct that balance.

I'm curious if they'll be able to salvage Torque. Currently the only gametype that plays remotely well is CTF, but I feel like that would still be the worst OBJ in the settings if it got in. Possibly the only map in H5 I would consider running 2 snipes on. That might actually help promote a little organization as opposed to the spawn-and-flank gameplay that's causing it to play like a worse, slower version of Fathom.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Less is more, IMO. Give us Coliseum Bomb and maybe Truth Bomb, but that's about it. Regret and Empire are both pretty meh. Good enough for matchmaking, but I would hope no one ever has to play them for money. Would be interested to see some added throw-distance for Assault as well. Right now I've been seeing a lot of bomb games end 1-0 or 2-1, and most of the arms are sneaky arms as opposed to actually controlling the other team's base and pushing it in. This can be largely attributed to 8-second respawn I think (huge advantage for the defending team vs older games), and the double-thrust isn't doing enough to correct that balance.

I'm curious if they'll be able to salvage Torque. Currently the only gametype that plays remotely well is CTF, but I feel like that would still be the worst OBJ in the settings if it got in. Possibly the only map in H5 I would consider running 2 snipes on. That might actually help promote a little organization as opposed to the spawn-and-flank gameplay that's causing it to play like a worse, slower version of Fathom.

Yeah, what was wrong with 5 second slayer spawns and 10 second objective spawns? now its what, 8 seconds for everything? Hell with the faster movement 8 seconds might be better for slayer so just try 8 second slayer and 10 second objective.

Most of the arms i see are either sneaky arms or just a series of respawn-rushes where everybody touches the bomb at some point and gets a 1/4 of an arm each.

And why in the hell in the bomb explosion not actually an explosion and kill all players within a certain range?  It feels... anticlimactic.  I know that would make counter-arms easier but c'mon man!

Two Snipes on Torque would be VERY interesting.

on Torque CTF, is there some weird nuance with Rockets? I feel like I remember them either not respawning, or respawning on non-2 minute intervals.

Are they a normal 2 minute static and I'm just crazy?

I want to elaborate on things that can and should be done, and also some things that should have never existed (things that you obviously cannot change now. you'll know what they are)

-Remove Radar

-Remove fucking grenade hitmarkers. Jesus.

-Remove weapon pad icons and weapon spawn reminders. Paying attention to weapon times and consistently remembering them/pushing toward them with 4 people every time does require a tiny amount of extra mental capacity and imo adds to the skillgap.

-4sk Pistol

-Add Torque CTF

-Remove storm rifles and SMGs from all maps. 

-Remove BRs and DMRs from all maps except for bigger maps like Eden. Maybe keep 1 or 2 on some maps. I would like to see all these close-quarter areas turn into intense pistol fights instead of just who sees who first with the storm rifle.

-Put a sniper on Torque CTF, maybe 2, or maybe add an overshield. 

-Static weapon times

-6-7 second slayer respawns and 10 second OBJ respawns. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

-Remove weapon pad icons and weapon spawn reminders. Paying attention to weapon times and consistently remembering them/pushing toward them with 4 people every time does require a tiny amount of extra mental capacity and imo adds to the skillgap.

Having to adapt to four opposing players alongside your three teammates, who are all equally aware of Power Items, is a far more intellectually demanding task than memorizing a set of numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Other Topic:

IMO...

• Truth
  • Regret
  • Coliseum
  • maybe Empire

It's so bad in this game because of the movement though and double thrust. if you don't get 4 dead and immediately plant the one guy alive grabs the bomb for 2 seconds and it's halfway across the map.

Rinse and repeat.

Can we get extraction back? that shit was the one good thing about h4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Having to adapt to four opposing players alongside your three teammates, who are all equally aware of Power Items, is a far more intellectually demanding task than memorizing a set of numbers.

Eh, debatable. I could make the argument that any good team would be able to remember, time, and push together for power weapons. And that would separate a good team from a bad team instead of dumbing down the game. If you can't time powerweapons and consistently remember them with your team, then you shouldn't be higher ranked or win enough to face a good team in the bracket come tournament time. That's why 50s in MLG were always pushing for OS on pit and the level 35s-40s were at long hall going "omg they got OS fuck i forgot" and got shit on for the next couple of minutes. 

I guess I just have the higher standard for the mental/intellectual part of the game and a better understanding of what creates a bigger skill gap. I respected players/teams who were always timing their power weapons. It really did, in reality, separate teams from each other. When you develop a consistency with your team and prioritize power weapons every single time, create strats, etc, you will eventually reach the teams who also do this as second nature.

When you have four opposing players alongside your three teammates who all developed the skill and habit of paying attention and pushing for power weapons, together, you're probably playing against a very good team who knows how to play halo and win a damn game. 

My point is, you can have 8 players in a game who are equally aware of power items without making everyone aware of power items. 

It was one of the most skillful factors in CE 2v2s, 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's true at a casual level. At the hardcore/pro level people should just know, and be punished if they are unable to.

Edit-whoops thought this was the HCS thread.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's true at a casual level. At the hardcore/pro level people should just know, and be punished if they are unable to.

Edit-whoops thought this was the HCS thread.

Exactly. Skill gap. 

It was one of the most skillful factors in CE 2v2s, 

You had an actual viable argument until this very statement. CE didn't have a timer in game, so high-level players use automated audio timers to notify them of drops.

Also stating that you have a 'better understanding of what creates a skill gap' is completely disrespectful and rude when having a debate with someone, and flinging around the word skill gap isn't going to widen that gap any further.

You seem to be thinking that I'm arguing the point that timing weapons isn't skill oriented. I am not. I am arguing that the skill around adapting to equally aware players in any certain game is for more intellectually challenging than telling your team a set of numbers.

Can you confidently say that having 8 people set up in unique ways using map flow, weapons, spawns, predicting opponents etc. is less skillful than one team getting a Rocket Launcher because the other team forgot to time it?

Props to the team who can appropriately remind themselves of information, sure, but it's completely gimmicky when you have an alternative design that increases the amount of intellectual variables.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Another thought topic:

Assault should be played in Rounds, ending after each bomb plant. People are complaining that the bomb doesn't detonate and kill players, which allows for further spawn abuse before grabbing and bringing in the next bomb – snowballing.

However it's also gimmicky that a Bomb Detonation should punish players for successfully completing an objective, allowing for the exact reverse of the spawn abuse that I mentioned.

Rounds would remove any quirks with a successful objective play.

Plus I miss Round Based stuff after Breakout got removed  :lxthul:

- Remove all auto weapons, keep DMRs and BRs on the map. Spawn with a pistol only

- Static Weapon timers

- Include extraction, oddball, and assault

- Remove radar or make it so players that are using spartan abilities show up

- Fix the ranking system so a drastic setting change does not alienate casual players 

:)

Can we also think about reducing starting grenades to only one grenade? 

I spend more time quitting the build in arena than I do playing.  I can't decide which map is the worst in the game; Torque or Riptide.  Why is there no HCS playlist?  It enrages me how incompetent 343 is at providing good playlists.  It's honestly baffling.  So mad, so mad.

Two Snipes on Torque would be VERY interesting.

on Torque CTF, is there some weird nuance with Rockets? I feel like I remember them either not respawning, or respawning on non-2 minute intervals.

Are they a normal 2 minute static and I'm just crazy?

Two snipes would actually be worth testing but I can just imagine the hallways being dominated by a decent sniper. Torque is definitely missing something though, wouldn't mind something bottom mid worth contesting over (OS?) so the initial spawn push has big risk/reward and can help counter attack heavy top control since it's usually a DMR/Hallway setup.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we also think about reducing starting grenades to only one grenade? 

Why? Nades aren't really a problem in this game. Yeah, they're really strong, but they're also easier to dodge than ever before.

Radar is the worst thing for competitive settings since bloom. In fact, I would probably argue that it's worse than even that. Grenade hitmarkers, weapon placement problems, and even spawning with ars are secondary problems compared to radar.

Let's talk Grenade Hitmarkers. I like them. It provides information that promotes offensive gameplay.

I'd like to hear the argument against them other than the fact that they weren't present in previous Halo's. Not saying that they are definitely a good addition, but I just want to hear the argument against them.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Let's talk Grenade Hitmarkers. I like them. It provides information that promotes offensive gameplay.

I'd like to hear the argument against them other than the fact that they weren't present in previous Halo's. Not saying that they are definitely a good addition, but I just want to hear the argument against them.

They feed you information that you didn't earn. You can just chuck a grenade into a room across the map without knowing someone is in there and then be told they were in there by the hitmarker.

Here's a situation from H3. You decide to hide in the green cubby in the pit. A grenade comes in and weakens you. At this point, you don't necessarily know whether the other player knew you were in there or if it was just a prediction/safety grenade. You have to make a choice: do you continue to stay in there and hope that another grenade won't come in/he'll come in and finish you or do you run out to either escape or catch the player off guard? In h5, if he just happened to throw a safety grenade in there, he would know you were there and easily finish you. In h3, he might have thought, "oh, I tossed a grenade in there and there was no response. There must be nobody in there. I'll just run by now and push up to their side quickly without looking in green cubby." Then you can assassinate him or something even though you were weak from the first grenade.

You are earning information you didn't deserve. By throwing a nade and not checking at all or actually using your vision you're able to both weaken an opponent and discern their location without actually getting that information legitimately.

The only times where cues where opponents are shouldn't be based on eye-sight alone are risk vs reward cues like quick camo.

And people have been over this before, please don't strawman everyone that dislikes them as only hating them for nostalgia