Sign in to follow this  
Jawshe

Is my monitor due for an upgrade?

Back in 2010 I bought a brand new Samsung SyncMaster PX2370. 

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/it/monitor/led-monitor/LS23WHUKFK/ZA

Its still beautiful and doesn't look dated in the slightest, even at 6 years old. The color is unbelievable and almost looks like an IPS. However...

It has 2ms response time (TN panel), but I have no idea what the "input lag" statistic is. For those that don't know, response time and input lag are two different measures. 1-2ms is pretty much standard now in 2016 for TN panels, so I'm more concerned about the input lag stat.

You can look up any monitor from around 2012 up to 2016 at Display Lag's website. You can see that even today, some monitors are only 5ms input lag, and some are still 15-20ms input lag, even if most are 2ms response time.

So even though my monitor is 2ms response time, the input lag could be 20 or 30 ms (this is possible even with current monitors, so I'm worried mine from 2010 would likely have this problem). 

I wish I could test a monitor that was proven to have 1-2ms response and only 5ms input lag, then compare it to mine. I don't have any IRL friends with a low input lag monitor.Does anyone know how I can find the input lag measure for my monitor? 

The monitor was literally top of the line back in 2010 which is why it has lasted so long. If I can determine it still has a super low input lag then I can keep using it. I spent almost $400 (and that was a GREAT deal for the time) on it so I guess that proves you get what you pay for! Hopefully I can keep using it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, if it works, it works.

There are tests to test input lag, but one of the two monitors you use needs to have a known input lag. If you have an old CRT it can be used since they have no input lag.

Monitors aren't extremely expensive, you can get a really good one for $150, maybe even $100 on sale. I don't know your money situation, but its not a huge loss if it ends up not working out and you prefer your old monitor.

Personally I would upgrade to an IPS monitor. It just looks so much better than a TN panel and I (personally) can't notice any difference between 2ms and 5ms, you may, but I've been through 7 LCD panels since Halo Reach and haven't noticed a huge difference between all of them (all under 10 ms wise), But like I said this is personal, you may have a different experience.

I just recently purchased the HP 23xw, which has no listed ms from display lag, and its been amazing. I can't notice a difference between it and the previous monitor I purchased, LG IPS237L, which had a rating of 09ms from display lag, one of the 3 best listed on the site

: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-23xw-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B00TQQN2GI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455858621&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+23xw

Honestly, if it works, it works.

There are tests to test input lag, but one of the two monitors you use needs to have a known input lag. If you have an old CRT it can be used since they have no input lag.

Monitors aren't extremely expensive, you can get a really good one for $150, maybe even $100 on sale. I don't know your money situation, but its not a huge loss if it ends up not working out and you prefer your old monitor.

Personally I would upgrade to an IPS monitor. It just looks so much better than a TN panel and I (personally) can't notice any difference between 2ms and 5ms, you may, but I've been through 7 LCD panels since Halo Reach and haven't noticed a huge difference between all of them (all under 10 ms wise), But like I said this is personal, you may have a different experience.

I just recently purchased the HP 23xw, which has no listed ms from input lag, and its been amazing. I can't notice a difference between it and the previous monitor I purchased, LG IPS237L, which had a rating of 09ms from input lag, one of the 3 best listed on the site

: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-23xw-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B00TQQN2GI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455858621&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+23xw

Thanks for the reply. I want an IPS but have compared my monitor to IPS before and many time mine is still nicer, with a higher brightness/color saturation. The only monitor that has had a better picture was my buddy's $450 IPS (with a whopping 15 ms input lag) that was made for professional photo editing.

I don't think a $100-150 monitor will be able to touch mine to be honest. I know there are some IPS that have the ultra-low input lag, but they usually cost over $300-400. Those that are less don't even look good even tough they are IPS. Either way, I don't care that much about the picture. My main focus is input lag. 

Not sure about the "if it works, it works" ideology. Before the PX2370 I played on a 5ms LCD TV (that probably had over 30ms input lag) and noticed a HUGE improvement in my aim as soon as I got the Samsung. So I know "it works" isn't necessarily enough. Especially at the level tht I play at, where even a 5% advantage is huge. 

If it works it works was more referencing if you haven't had problems with your monitor before then there shouldn't be that big of a problem now. There hasn't been a huge change in technology in panels in awhile (some of the top panels on display lag are older panels). OLED could switch things up, but who knows how soon that will be.

If you really think you need a new monitor get the benQ that the pros play on at the MLG tournaments.

Price usually equates to quality (within a certain size range), but not always. You can pay for brand names or certain features (smart tvs still aren't great, but you can bet you'll pay more for it.) For 21.5 to 23 inch monitors are usually around $100 to $200 in price. Unless you play on something bigger you can find a great monitor in that price range. The LG monitor that I referenced before that has 09 display lag was purchased for $150 and has an amazing input lag, matte screen (maybe semi gloss), and an IPS panel.

Some of the better TN panels can get close to a low/mid IPS panel, but a mid/high IPS should beat TN's in viewing angles (shouldn't matter if you are sitting directly in front) and colors.

I have the RL2460HT and I can say it is amazing, the hdmi output is awesome so you dont have to run it through your box (eliminates input lag from that). My only gripe is it takes a good 5-10 seconds to change inputs which is kinda annoying but not really a huge deal.  I also have a http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455905996&sr=8-1&keywords=VG248QE for my computer which is great for PC gaming but you have to use a displayport cable to get the 144hz. Also, I would wait for this monitor to go down in price, which it frequently does.

I can say that the RL2460HT is a great buy especially for the price right now as I got mine about a year ago for $250. According to http://www.displaylag.com/benq-rl2460ht-review-gaming-monitor-hdmi-output/ it has an average of about 10ms input lag which ranks among the top in their lists. So for the price and if you plan on streaming with a cap card I would highly recommend it.  Good luck with you search.