Sign in to follow this  
TheParagonYT

Best Xbox One Headset for Competitive Halo?

Hey everyone, 

I'm looking to get into competitive Halo (just made a team recruitment post). I currently have the Turtle Beach XO Ones and while I love them, I can't really pinpoint where sounds are coming from so they're not great for competitive play. I'm looking to get a new headset, and I don't really know where to start. Any recommendations? I know the Astro A40 TR is basically the  top of the line, but if there are any that are cheaper and still provide great competitive features, please link me to them. Thanks!

What kind of mixamp? Astro?

Yeah, an Astro MixAmp.

Honestly Sennheiser, Astro, HyperX seem to be the biggest three you'll find most popular amongst players. Hell, you'll find Turtle Beaches around as well. Turtle Beaches aren't bad, I've owned everything I've mentioned outside of HyperX and they're all pretty good quality if you get some good ones.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get into competitive Halo (just made a team recruitment post). I currently have the Turtle Beach XO Ones and while I love them, I can't really pinpoint where sounds are coming from so they're not great for competitive play. I'm looking to get a new headset, and I don't really know where to start. Any recommendations? I know the Astro A40 TR is basically the top of the line, but if there are any that are cheaper and still provide great competitive features, please link me to them. Thanks!

I just bought the Cloud HyperX yesterday for my Xbox One and they're awesome. Great quality sound and good comfort. I have the newer Xbox controller with the 3.5 mm cable jack already on it, so I didn't have to purchase anything else besides the headset. Otherwise, if you have an older controller, you only need to buy the adapter piece.

I just bought the Cloud HyperX yesterday for my Xbox One and they're awesome. Great quality sound and good comfort. I have the newer Xbox controller with the 3.5 mm cable jack already on it, so I didn't have to purchase anything else besides the headset. Otherwise, if you have an older controller, you only need to buy the adapter piece.

Is there still a way to adjust game/chat volume without getting anything extra?

Yes, if you play the audio through the controller you can adjust it. The reason people are saying get MixAmps is because the audio quality that comes through the controller is okay at best. It isn't god awful or anything, but it's nothing spectacular either. It's literally meh.

But to answer your question, yes. You can adjust it from the controller if you have the adapter piece (necessary if you have the older Xbox One Controllers). If you have the newer Xbox One controllers or an Elite, you can plug the 3.5 mm cable directly into the controller and you can adjust the audio from your settings menu on the dashboard.

The HyperX comes with a control box that you can use to adjust chat/game volume or put your mic on mute

Yes, if you play the audio through the controller you can adjust it. The reason people are saying get MixAmps is because the audio quality that comes through the controller is okay at best. It isn't god awful or anything, but it's nothing spectacular either. It's literally meh.

But to answer your question, yes. You can adjust it from the controller if you have the adapter piece (necessary if you have the older Xbox One Controllers). If you have the newer Xbox One controllers or an Elite, you can plug the 3.5 mm cable directly into the controller and you can adjust the audio from your settings menu on the dashboard.

Thanks! I'll probably just get the headset for now, and then the Astro MixAmp Pro TR later down the road.

HyperX Clouds are a great deal for the money. Astro headsets are overpriced IMO but their mixamps are pretty much the only game in town.

If you already have a pair of decent headphones there's always the option of getting an attachable mic like the ModMic or BoomPro to save some money. I have the BoomPro and it is totally adequate.

Here is a great resource of headsets sorted by price.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-16-2016-fostex-th-600-creative-jam-notes-added

A few notable things from the thread

If you get astro's get the A40's (as someone who went from A40's to A50's I agree, you have more control at the expense of not being wireless)

Astro's are bass heavy so more "immersion"

Skullcandy's SLYR rank higher than Astro's and are cheaper

Clouds are a great choice.

AKG Q701's look like a really good headphone in the range of Astro's, unsure if it has a mic though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hyperx Clouds are great for the price range I love mine and they are very comfortable. I've been using mine for close to 2 years now.

What I've been using lately though are my sennheiser 598s and a desktop mic and using the xbox app to win10 to chat or just discord depending on who I'm playing with. Running audio through my soundcard is infinitely better quality than the crap controller audio port.

Since the second option is a bit more of a niche setup, I'd go with the Cloud's. I guarantee you you won't be disappointed. IDK about the cloud II's but the OG like I have I read are manufactured by the same company that manufactures headphones for beyerdynamic. Obviously the components aren't the same but the build quality is pretty top notch. Add in a turtle beach DSS2 if you don't have a soundcard you can run the audio through on your desktop for better audio quality and a bit cheaper than the astro mixamp.

I just got my Astro A40 TR's. They are really nice. I see a lot of people using the HyperX headset. If you could pick up some Astro's on eBay that would be an option.

I'm with Mesty,

I got Astro a40 TR's and mix amp tr before christmas last year, and i love them. there has been several times i call "astro moments" where i could hear where the enemy was coming from and react quicker.

HyperX Cloud II's are used by a decent amount of pros and I've heard good things about them. Just need a mixamp with an optical cable and you're set. 

http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

This.

My girl bought these for me yesterday, and they are absolutely the best headphones I've ever had. They're incredibly clear, and sit super comfortably on your head/ears.

I think I've seen some pro's use SteelSeries headsets also. Not sure how good they are though.

I think I've seen some pro's use SteelSeries headsets also. Not sure how good they are though.

I have basically every headset you can think of. SteelSeries is average sound quality and they can be uncomfortable as all hell if you keep wearing them. Astro mixamp is the best. Astro headsets are over priced/over hyped. HyperX Cloud 2s are GREAT for the money. If you're going to buy astros with a mixamp drop the headphones and get the Cloud 2s instead. Clip on mics and high quality headphones are a great option but it can be annoying. Cloud 2s + Astro Mixamp is what I'd recommend to any Halo player just looking for a good setup with minimal work required.