Sign in to follow this  
Smoshers

How did you get into Halo?

I've seen people make this topic before on other sites but I'm curious to see how people on here got into Halo.

I remember mid 2002 I made friends with some of the neighbor kids and one of them had an Xbox with Halo. I sucked terribly but I enjoyed every minute of it because it was something new and exciting. We would play for hours on end and soon enough I got my own Xbox for my birthday. I played the hell out of Halo so I could be the best in my neighborhood. Now 10 and a half years later I'm still in love with Halo even though I took a break from the community I'm glad to be back and help out any way I can. 

Before Halo 1, I had never even touched an FPS before. Just didn't care about those types of games. I was still playing PS2 and loving every minute of that bitch. When Halo 1 was announced my father was like, "FUCK YEAH ALIENS AND SHIT", because he's always been a big, weird Alien buff. (my dad's a gamer at heart, even though he's never been very good) My dad bought an Xbox and Halo as soon as it came out. I played through the campaign with him in basically one night.

My dad never really liked multiplayer so soon after we beat the game, he never really played again. My sister and I started dicking around with the multiplayer and played a lot of 1v1s on Hang 'Em High. We were both awful. I still had no clue there was a competitive community for the game back then. It wasn't until 05 that I found MLG and competitive gaming after getting highspeed internet. Lololol.

I've played Halo since its inception, but I got into the community via my friend Fershetta who introduced me to the competitive Halo community in late 2004. 

I went round to a friend's house one time and he was playing Halo CE on his see-through Xbox. All I remember was playing 1v1's on Prisoner which was so fun. It's all kind of a blur, though, as I was only 8 at the time. After that, I got an Xbox and Halo CE for my birthday and been a Halo fanboy ever since. 

I only play since Halo 3.

The first time I played halo was when I visited acquaintances. 

They had a Xbox with halo 2 and we played a few games, I was terribly bad I think i didn't even have a single kill at least in most games we played.

A few years later we got a xbox and the first game we bought was Halo 3, because my parents tought CoD was too violent. And Halo is Sci-Fi so it is not as realistic as CoD. Since then I always loved halo. This year I finally played Halo CE and I hope to buy Halo 2 this year so I can play that as well.

Went to a friends house, watched him walk outta the downed pod on that first level on the Halo ring, been obsessed ever since:)

• Upvote (+1) 1

At a rec center when i was in the military i sit down play H2 get raped and couldn't handle it being as competitive as i am. This was 2002. 

At a rec center when i was in the military i sit down play H2 get raped and couldn't handle it being as competitive as i am. This was 2002. 

H2 came out in 2004. :P

• Upvote (+1) 3

My two best friends in middle school were semi-pros in Halo 2. Mind you this is when we were like 12, so they were and still are very very good players. They pretty much raised me as their practice noob and got me in to the MLG scene. They're still probably better than I am, but I'm much more into the competitive scene now than they are

I used to play Halo:CE with my friend Mike. I thought it was pretty cool but like Briteeyez, I was all about that PS2 life. But a lot of my friends had an Xbox and then when Halo 2 came out and we'd hang out, it was all we'd play. I used to love playing Swords on Lockout for some reason. But I was always last picked for teams and I remember my friend Asa trying to explain to me why the Plasma Rifle/SMG combo was the best thing to use in the game, aside from power weapons.

So when Halo 3 was coming out, I decided I should get an Xbox 360 and join my friends. Got Crackdown just for the beta and played the shit out of it. The Halo 3 launch at GameCrazy had a Halo 2 FFA tournament and I got eliminated in the first round. :( But we were at that GameCrazy from 3pm after school until like, 3am just dicking around and getting our game. After that, I literally AR'd my way to a 46 just because I played smart. At that point, I'd see kids like "MLG H0TSH0T PRO" and I thought MLG was some elitest, shitty clan like KSI, full of people who just thought they were good cause they no-lifed a video game.

Eventually got the mindset that I deserved more than a 46 and made a new account. That's when I met RippinHeads online and we just started gaming a lot. I learned a lot from him and I credit him with giving me my more passive, thoughtful playstyle since I used to be stupidly aggressive. By the end of 2009, I had placed Top 16 at the MLG Columbus FFA, was paying for Xbox Live by selling 50s in LoneWolves, and was having the time of my life. I remember I was searching Team Slayer solo and when one of my teammates was reading out everyone's gamertag he said "Katastrophe? Oh shit, we won this game." Best feeling ever.

I actually got the Mark of Shame tattooed on my arm in 2010 because of how big a role Halo played in my life. The game allowed me to meet a lot of really cool people, those connections got me my first job which probably helped me get the job I have now and gave me a lot of confidence that I didn't really think I had. Before Halo, I had never really been good at anything to the point that I got recognition for it. On the downside, Halo has made me ultra competitive in pretty much everything I do...

• Upvote (+1) 6

I used to play Halo:CE with my friend Mike. I thought it was pretty cool but like Briteeyez, I was all about that PS2 life. But a lot of my friends had an Xbox and then when Halo 2 came out and we'd hang out, it was all we'd play. I used to love playing Swords on Lockout for some reason. But I was always last picked for teams and I remember my friend Asa trying to explain to me why the Plasma Rifle/SMG combo was the best thing to use in the game, aside from power weapons.

So when Halo 3 was coming out, I decided I should get an Xbox 360 and join my friends. Got Crackdown just for the beta and played the shit out of it. The Halo 3 launch at GameCrazy had a Halo 2 FFA tournament and I got eliminated in the first round. :( But we were at that GameCrazy from 3pm after school until like, 3am just dicking around and getting our game. After that, I literally AR'd my way to a 46 just because I played smart. At that point, I'd see kids like "MLG H0TSH0T PRO" and I thought MLG was some elitest, shitty clan like KSI, full of people who just thought they were good cause they no-lifed a video game.

Eventually got the mindset that I deserved more than a 46 and made a new account. That's when I met RippinHeads online and we just started gaming a lot. I learned a lot from him and I credit him with giving me my more passive, thoughtful playstyle since I used to be stupidly aggressive. By the end of 2009, I had placed Top 16 at the MLG Columbus FFA, was paying for Xbox Live by selling 50s in LoneWolves, and was having the time of my life. I remember I was searching Team Slayer solo and when one of my teammates was reading out everyone's gamertag he said "Katastrophe? Oh shit, we won this game." Best feeling ever.

I actually got the Mark of Shame tattooed on my arm in 2010 because of how big a role Halo played in my life. The game allowed me to meet a lot of really cool people, those connections got me my first job which probably helped me get the job I have now and gave me a lot of confidence that I didn't really think I had. Before Halo, I had never really been good at anything to the point that I got recognition for it. On the downside, Halo has made me ultra competitive in pretty much everything I do...

That is honestly i really really cool story. Congrats Broham. 

I never knew what Halo was until I watched "Master Chief Sucks At Halo 3", I was young at the time and thought it was hysterical so I wanted to make Machinima's (which I never did lol). Then for Christmas I got a 360 and H3. That's how I found out about Halo and started playing it. Noob-story.  :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Friend talked me into buying a Xbox and halo in '02 which was my second year of high school. Been hooked since the cafeteria scene on the first level. A different friend and I stayed up till 4 the night I got it and had to wake up at 6 for a judo tournament.

I played Halo from CE to around 2005.  2008 I got back into it because a  friend played alone all of the time and wanted someone to play with. Another friend of mine and I have played doubles through all of them.  We are not great but we have fun

I got into Halo through playing Halo 2 on my dad's Windows Vista. I loved the campaign and after finishing it, I got Halo CE to know more about the story and I've been in love with the franchise ever since.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My buddies that I hung out with in highschool when I wasn't busy with Hockey used to LAN CE every weekend. Fell in love with the game from the moment I first played it.

Im joined the Military in 2002 im cant remember when H2 came out i just guessed a time. I knew it had to be around that time. 

I was a Nintendo fanboy back then, with the Gameboy, N64, and soon the Gamecube. My dad then got an Xbox for my brother, but would play Halo when we were at school. One day, I played the first mission in Halo, and I was sucked into Halo and Microsoft ever since.

It all started by playing Grifball and BTB in Halo 3 at my friends house... 

Of course I had played H1 when i was little, but i was way too young. And obviously, I became hooked because of the ranking system that was in place during H3.