Sign in to follow this  
plasmadan

If 343 were to take sprint out of halo 6, how would they explain it

*GASP*

So it wasn't 343's fault that Halo 5 turned out the way it did... Spartan Abilities, the long kill times, the strong autos, radar in competitive, the self-aiming Sniper--it was the Waypoint mods all along! It all makes so much sense! If a few of us can somehow become Waypoint mods ourselves, maybe our influence will be strong enough that we'll finally get a true successor to CE!  :kappa:

For the record, I don't care for how the Waypoint mods operate, either.

You're right, the power of public opinion is so weak that it's been the primary thing people have been trying to control since the beginning of time!  MEME MEME MEME!

BTW, 343 Forums = 343.  Mods may not be employees of the company, but they run the show at 343's one and only official website.  If you think Waypoint mods are simply doing what they personally think is right/best, you are mistaken.  Waypoint commands, by far, the most traffic and clicks related to Halo.  Waypoint forums command the top spot in google searches including "Halo".  What is said within those forums has the highest possible visibility...period.  And that is why I said it's such a shame those forums are so strictly policed.  Would it make a difference?  Yes, it would.  How much of one, I don't know, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant or something to scoff at either.

It's the most effective as well as the easiest escape method Halo has ever had.

If sprint were removed and thruster stayed, I think a good way to stop escaping is to force a delay for thrusting if you are being shot at. I haven't thought about it too much, but maybe you have to wait 1 or 1.5 seconds for you to be able to thrust after taking damage.

If sprint were removed and thruster stayed, I think a good way to stop escaping is to force a delay for thrusting if you are being shot at. I haven't thought about it too much, but maybe you have to wait 1 or 1.5 seconds for you to be able to thrust after taking damage.

Sure, it sounds fine. But I wonder why we'd bother taking what was previously such a simple yet rich game, and not only adding multiple features, but adding multiple drawbacks to those features.

As much as people would like to think that making this game more like your "average" shooter makes it more "accessible", complicating the matters only does the opposite.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure, it sounds fine. But I wonder why we'd bother taking what was previously such a simple yet rich game, and not only adding multiple features, but adding multiple drawbacks to those features.

As much as people would like to think that making this game more like your "average" shooter makes it more "accessible", complicating the matters only does the opposite.

I agree. I'm not advocating for having sprint, thruster etc. But being realistic, 343 will never go back to classic halo. They may remove/add/tweak some things, but they're too stubborn to go to how H1-3 played.

Even with how broken MCC is, I still would rather wait for a match of CE (and I'm not even that great) than to play Halo 5 sometimes.

I agree. I'm not advocating for having sprint, thruster etc. But being realistic, 343 will never go back to classic halo. They may remove/add/tweak some things, but they're too stubborn to go to how H1-3 played.

Even with how broken MCC is, I still would rather wait for a match of CE (and I'm not even that great) than to play Halo 5 sometimes.

It's hard to tell. Halo 5 was an absolute bomb, and it's hard for me to imagine that Microsoft is excited for that 2017 HWC championship.

I'd say there's a chance of 343 going either way. Hindsight is always 20/20 though, and come Halo 6, I may very well call myself a fool for thinking this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The same way they explained dual wielding.

They didn't.

(Let me guess, some D Grade author tried to explain that in lore... *sigh*)

lmao that's way, WAAAAAY too much of a wait. Time 1.5 seconds on a stopwatch. It's an eternity as far as a Halo encounter is concerned.

lmao that's way, WAAAAAY too much of a wait. Time 1.5 seconds on a stopwatch. It's an eternity as far as a Halo encounter is concerned.

Like I said, I hadn't put much thought into it. It was just an idea I thought of when I saw the post about thrust ruining gun battles.

The point is to not allow any user to escape a battle unfairly. 1 second would probably be better. But it can't be any shorter than that, because it has to be a significant enough amount of time to actually have an effect.

Of course, the time solely depends on if 343 changes the kill times for H6.

Thruster is not as bad as some try to make it out to be. Yes it gets used defensively a lot. But if people are using it to get away by thrusting behind cover then they positioned themselves to do so. If thruster wasn't available they would still position themselves to escape situations. Thruster adds depth to encounters, some people just don't want to think.

Thruster is not as bad as some try to make it out to be. Yes it gets used defensively a lot. But if people are using it to get away by thrusting behind cover then they positioned themselves to do so. If thruster wasn't available they would still position themselves to escape situations. Thruster adds depth to encounters, some people just don't want to think.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Giving every single free player what is essentially a free escape every few seconds at the press of a button is not "depth". All it does is slow down the game and make mistakes less punishing.

then they positioned themselves to do so

If people are using armor lock to live, then they positioned themselves to do so.

If people are using jet-pack to take map control with minimal effort, then they positioned themselves to do so.

If someone sprints+double melees you, then they positioned themselves to do so.

If someone sprays you down with an SMG while camping in a corner, then they positioned themselves to do so.

Getting "in position" has to be the most over-used argument in favor of every bad mechanic 343 has added.

No more than y'all use bad positioning as an argument for reasons people would die if it wasn't for "insert bad mechanic here". People have been escaping battles in Halo long before sprint, thruster, jet pack, armor lock, etc..... They were calling Pistola the wizard long before any of those. But the difference in Thruster and all those other mechanics is it doesn't break maps like sprint and jet pack did. Armor lock made you invincible for a set amount of time, thruster doesn't.

No more than y'all use bad positioning as an argument for reasons people would die if it wasn't for "insert bad mechanic here". People have been escaping battles in Halo long before sprint, thruster, jet pack, armor lock, etc..... They were calling Pistola the wizard long before any of those. But the difference in Thruster and all those other mechanics is it doesn't break maps like sprint and jet pack did. Armor lock made you invincible for a set amount of time, thruster doesn't. This is almost exactly the reason for people's gripes against AAs in Reach and H4.

Yes. It's perfectly fine to introduce mechanics which let other players achieve the same amount of survival as one of the best players in the game at staying alive.

But the difference in Thruster and all those other mechanics is it doesn't break maps like sprint and jet pack did.

Of course it does. Look at Riptide. You seriously mean to tell me Riptide is even close to playable without clamber or thrust? That's just the worst example. Coliseum's sniper side? You would have entire areas of the map becoming inaccessible without major detours if thrust and clamber were removed.

If we could jump 15ft in the air like we did in H3 I'm pretty sure you could Manuever on snipe side of coliseum just fine. So no Thruster or Clamber don't break maps. There are mechanics that are game breaking and then there are mechanics that are just new and different. Thruster and Clamber fall into the latter.

If we could jump 15ft in the air like we did in H3 I'm pretty sure you could Manuever on snipe side of coliseum just fine. So no Thruster or Clamber don't break maps. There are mechanics that are game breaking and then there are mechanics that are just new and different. Thruster and Clamber fall into the latter.

No, you literally couldn't. How can you possibly think H3 jump height would give the same ability as clamber?

then there are mechanics that are just new and different.

You can't just say something and expect me to believe it.

No, you literally couldn't. How can you possibly think H3 jump height would give the same ability as clamber?

You can't just say something and expect me to believe it.

Those jumps on Snipe side aren't that hard. But even so the game was made around clamber so obviously they aren't intended to fit other Halos movement.

The same way they explained dual wielding.

They didn't.

(Let me guess, some D Grade author tried to explain that in lore... *sigh*)

What is there to explain about an 8ft genetically altered human wearing a military battle suit holding 2 smaller guns one in each hand?  I mean, why need to explain something like that in a story?  It was a cool mechanic that wasn't entirely terrible but was unneeded/wanted in competitive yet fine for the casuals to run around with in btb or actionsack.  I remember smg/pistol duals were OP as fuck before they nerfed it.

They were calling Pistola the wizard long before any of those. 

Don't forget Strongsiding.

The mechanics themselves aren't terrible in theory.  They are just executing them poorly.  I say lets work on creating a relationship with them to try and see if our information could help with future ideas.  Its worth a shot.  

I honestly just wish they would give us H2X( what i'm calling the original xbox version of H2) for halo 2 classic instead of h2v(game.is.fucking.trash.)  Probably the biggest bad decision yet imo.

What is there to explain about an 8ft genetically altered human wearing a military battle suit holding 2 smaller guns one in each hand?  I mean, why need to explain something like that in a story?  It was a cool mechanic that wasn't entirely terrible but was unneeded/wanted in competitive yet fine for the casuals to run around with in btb or actionsack.  I remember smg/pistol duals were OP as fuck before they nerfed it.

I wasn't talking about the addition of dual wielding, I was talking about the removal.

The lore behind that doesn't make any sense. Between Halo 3 and Halo 4 Master Chief forgot he has 2 hands?

So surely if they're happy to do this for dual wielding than they should be happy to remove sprint as well without some ridiculous lore explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wasn't talking about the addition of dual wielding, I was talking about the removal.

The lore behind that doesn't make any sense. Between Halo 3 and Halo 4 Master Chief forgot he has 2 hands?

So surely if they're happy to do this for dual wielding than they should be happy to remove sprint as well without some ridiculous lore explanation.

true true.

eh, well i figure since it didn't work well in the meta for h3 like it did in h2, and reach it wasn't even a mechanic if i remember correctly(its been a long while since i played that) that they just decided to go on without it since it didn't have any kind of a lasting impact nor fit with how the games went.  

"It didn't feel immersive that the Spartans could flip a tank, but not run and shoot at the same time, so we went back to what is was like in the original trilogy when they did"

"Sorry we ruined Halo for six years. Here's a game you actually might want to play."

I agree with you on the positioning, but I don't think it adds much depth. I think of it in terms of analog vs digital: a clean fast strafe allows you a continuum of movement ability (analog) which is why you saw some sick strafes in older games while thruster is basically a digital one-button escape. I literally see the same movements from people in this game over and over: right-left, right-thrust (with crouch AR thrown in for good measure sometimes). I think you can perform a decent strafe in H5, but thruster is just easier so you see it all the time. It gets tedious for me. Reminds me also a bit of how jetpack nuked any reason for learning jumps.

Poking out behind a wall just far enough to be able to thrust back is one thing. Let's just completely ignore that.

Barely escaping from an area after being shot in the back and barely making it behind cover after thrusting is another thing. And by my accounts of studying scrims from everyone's POV in theater, you can expect an "unplanned escape" thanks to thrust roughly 100 times a game combined.

Thrust is really one of the worst things about Halo 5. Pair it with a weak starting Pistol, especially at range, it's become a huge problem. I'm a huge advocate for disabling thrust while damaged. It's not used enough in 1vs1 battles to warrant the amount of escapes it gives people.

• Upvote (+1) 1