The Snazzer

Are We Back?

Are We Back?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Are We Back?

• Yes, we're back!
    • Not yet/Almost
    • No, lots to do still.

We asked ourselves this with MCC release, the answer turned out to be NO. 

A lot of major steps have been taken in the past few months. Do you think we are back, if not, what major steps or issues do we need to make/fix in the Halosphere?

Even sceptics on this forum have agreed that with tuning we are in for a good ride.

So no, we aren't, but we're going forwards not backwards now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Even sceptics on this forum have agreed that with tuning we are in for a good ride.

So no, we aren't, but we're going forwards not backwards now.

Forwards in the wrong direction imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

A lot of Halo players think "We Back" in terms of Halo eSports as in say 50K viewers.

I personally won't think "We Back" until Halo hit's the new standards of eSport's viewing, which is in the hundred thousands. Time has changed, and so has competitive gaming as a whole.

We are in the right direction, just need to keep streaming/having sick tourneys/building viewership.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Far from being back. They haven't even implemented the first step, a halo game I want to play. it's entertaining to watch, but so is csgo and quake and I dont even play those games. 

And even without my personal opinion on the game, there's still lots wrong. Viewer count was an amazing start at the x games but that's just 1 event, and it was helped by pro drama + a really good grand finals. And then on a features level, there is so much obvious stuff that is wrong that's it just flat out embarrassing. No lan support, spectator mode is still completely garbage after years of trying, where are the #esports skins? 

We have laid but a pebble in building the long path ahead of us. I couldn't get 8 people to play this game together even if I drove 5+ hours. I see local cod, csgo, lol, dota2 tournaments all the time, but no halo 5. And ofc tons of fight games but that's a different story so it's not right to compare. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We will not be "back" until we can support large LAN tournaments without developer nazi bullshit. 

Then never. As long as developers own their ip's this will happen in most esports titles outside of valve and smash..

Sadly it isn't 2005 anymore where developers are turning a blind eye to the money potential of hosting their own leagues/adverting their game through the leagues.

To answer the question, no. International scenes need to be developed for a further outreach and stronger viewership numbers. That's not a problem with Halo persay, but console gaming in general especially for a title like Halo which is on the X1 and has not the strongest numbers outside the uk and north america.

Without even thinking about eSports - I don't think we'll truly be back until a Halo game is cemented to the top of the most popular XBL games list.

Halo 5 is great fun but simple things like lack of massively popular gametypes (assault, ball) and playlists (snipers, doubles, infection) are just plain stupid. 

If the main game population is healhty, the eSports viewer numbers will take care of themselves.

For me personally all the money in the world being thrown at e-sports and the HWC whatnot isn't going to bring Halo "back".

I want to be excited to get on and play Halo at the end of the day again. I want to hop on and see my friends who I used to love playing Halo with also online and on Halo. I want my Xbox to not be a $300 paperweight anymore. That's when Halo will be back for me.

Maybe some of you have had that with H5, but due to the aiming, the poor matchmaking, some of the mechanics and otherwise I haven't been on since week 2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not for me. I don't enjoy Halo 5. I have no motivation to get on my Xbox anymore because Halo isn't fun anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Back in terms of relevance as an esport, sure.

I would agree with this. 40k+ is pretty good for a "dying" game especially compared to other popular console games on Twitch that spread across not only multiple platforms but multiple generations.

Work still needs to be done. Gametypes need to be made. Playlists need better handling from having improved maps to better EXP/RP payout in Weekend Social to ultimately improving search parameters. Potentially sandbox tweaking. Popularity for this game can increase a lot by the time the HWC Finals end in March and a lot of the stuff I listed could be done by then making new players feel at home

• Upvote (+1) 1

i loved watching that last series..i still hate playing halo 5. It wasn't the h5 gameplay that made me love that series, imo it was the thing holding it back, how they were performing, the tension, the prize, the mindgames, the history, that's what made it hype. I could be wrong but h4 or h5 haven't made an environment where a casual / social audience want to get invested in the game, improve and get competitive, these hype matches that we see are the players who got into the scene prior to 343s involvement with the franchise, i don't see new blood that loves playing halo for what it currently is, or new blood for that matter.