Sign in to follow this  
xMaggs

How do I improve my shot?

Before we get in to exactly what the title states I want to give as much information as I can on the matter. I've been playing Halo for quite a long time. I know a lot of you have been playing longer than me but I got in to it around 2005. I bought an Xbox 360 just for Halo 2. I wasn't really good at H2. I knew how to BXR, BXB, etc. but I don't think I got any higher than level 32. Halo 3 came out and I got a bit better. I didn't get my first 50 in that until about 2 years in when I got it in Team Slayer/Lone Wolves. At this point I was really in to MLG but just wasn't good. I believe the highest my MLG rank got was 35. Halo Reach came out and I got even better. This is (sadly I don't know why) when I started playing Halo a lot more. I think I accumulated a total of 17 days (not anything compared to some of you guys/pros but it was the most for me so far). I did a couple seasons of Arena (or whatever the hell it was called) and hit Onyx every time. I considered myself "good" but not great. H4 we'll just skip because it didn't have a ranking system. 

Now on to Halo 5. I have a disgusting 13 days, 18 hours played already. I think the highest I've hit was 1700-1800 TS and around the same for Team Arena. I know you might say "Well this is okay" but I do not believe that for the amount of time I've put in to this game. Also, I know my rating comes more from coordinated teams, map movement, etc as opposed to my shot. I'm going to be honest and say my shot just feels like garbage. Often times I'll get the first one or two shots in a fight and STILL manage to lose it. I've done everything from really trying to slow the game down, to drinking caffeine, to avoiding caffeine, to sleeping longer, to grinding Octagon for hours, to just grinding the game all fucking day. I'm just about tempted to start Yoga since T2 strongly recommends it (Kappa). I don't know what it is. I don't feel like my shot has improved at all in months. 

Can you just hit a cap? I know my map movement, positioning etc. can be better but I'm focused on my shot/aiming.

inb4 adderrall.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have different parents.

If you've played this much you've probably hit your ceiling. Kids with better hand eye, motor skills and reflexes are just going to have better shots.

Oh well, its just a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Try a different strafe. It could be messing with your own aim more than your opponents.

Hmmm. This is actually one of the things I haven't though about. I've done quite the opposite in trying to improve my strafe which may be throwing mine off more. Will do. Thanks.

Frankly, just calm down. Be okay with dying if there wasn't much you could've done to avoid it. Realize that your shot isn't the important part of the engagement, but rather your approach, and you'll stop spazzing out about hitting every bullet. 

Just get zen about it, really. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Frankly, just calm down. Be okay with dying if there wasn't much you could've done to avoid it. Realize that your shot isn't the important part of the engagement, but rather your approach, and you'll stop spazzing out about hitting every bullet. 

Just get zen about it, really. 

I really do feel like this is a big issue. I find myself panicking when it just get's my killed. I've been trying to really calm down but not sure if it's been working.

Halo 5s aiming is not good. To adapt to it properly you need to be playing and sweating more.

I've played, and I've sweated. Damn near 14 days of sweating.

I really do feel like this is a big issue. I find myself panicking when it just get's my killed. I've been trying to really calm down but not sure if it's been working.

If this game actually had a real social playlist you could use that to just veg out and work on "peaceful" shooting. 

C'est la vie... 

• Upvote (+1) 3

If this game actually had a real social playlist you could use that to just veg out and work on "peaceful" shooting. 

C'est la vie... 

I've played some Warzone/FFA with my computer headset on listening to some music (Like Neighbor would do to warmup in H3) without any game sound at all and I actually found my shot was better. Now my overall gameplay was lacking due to having no gamesound but I felt more calm. I need to somehow get that feeling while having game sound.

Dunno my man, same issue. Feels like my brain has literally broken when I try to aim or my reflexes are impaired in H5

• Upvote (+1) 1

This sounds a lot like a mental game rather than your shot technically being bad. If you're nervous in every encounter or doubting yourself, you're already going to have a bad shot. Every shot should be calm and collected, especially the shot where the enemy is no shields. Basically, you're screwing yourself over by having a bad mental game because every shot (even when they're no shields unlike Reach), is the same thing. 

Also, figure out what enemies want to do for their strafes, you can aim where the enemy is going before they're there. Also, make your own strafe good as you can be really, really nasty with it. You need to have unexpected Thrusts as well, that really messes people up.

Some people take more time to get good at things than others. You dont really have a plateau in these sort of things contrary to popular belief, you have one if you believe so however. 

Also, use your left stick more. Once you get a rhythm down on your shots with crouching as well it helps a lot.

To reiterate the point, use your Thrust well in a 1v1. Use it in a point of a battle where you will 1) Confuse your opponent 2) Be able to survive at the recovery period of the Thrust (not always possible) and 3) Can put meaningful shots on the enemy where you can close out the battle. Usuually you will see players in higher levels use Thrust when they are 1-2 shots from losing shields if that helps

Edit: Can you get on now? I can probably play a game of octagon or two and try helping out more if you like

• Upvote (+1) 5

This sounds a lot like a mental game rather than your shot technically being bad. If you're nervous in every encounter or doubting yourself, you're already going to have a bad shot. Every shot should be calm and collected, especially the shot where the enemy is no shields. Basically, you're screwing yourself over by having a bad mental game because every shot (even when they're no shields unlike Reach), is the same thing. 

Also, figure out what enemies want to do for their strafes, you can aim where the enemy is going before they're there. Also, make your own strafe good as you can be really, really nasty with it. You need to have unexpected Thrusts as well, that really messes people up.

Some people take more time to get good at things than others. You dont really have a plateau in these sort of things contrary to popular belief, you have one if you believe so however. 

Also, use your left stick more. Once you get a rhythm down on your shots with crouching as well it helps a lot.

To reiterate the point, use your Thrust well in a 1v1. Use it in a point of a battle where you will 1) Confuse your opponent 2) Be able to survive at the recovery period of the Thrust (not always possible) and 3) Can put meaningful shots on the enemy where you can close out the battle. Usuually you will see players in higher levels use Thrust when they are 1-2 shots from losing shields if that helps

Edit: Can you get on now? I can probably play a game of octagon or two and try helping out more if you like

Not right now but you can add me as I play constantly. Gamertag is xMaggs. I appreciate any and all advice as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Drop the pistol every chance you get for all other precision rifles. Other than that, you either have a good shot or you don't. I've never really heard or seen of someone improving their shot once they reached their own full potential.

Besides, having a good shot in Halo is like being a good 1 on 1 player in basketball. It pales in comparison to the full team game.

Work on positioning, getting the first shot off, etc., first. It's far mar important than having a good shot.

this might sound weird but how do you sit in your chair? leaned back or elbows on knees? @@xMaggs

I always wondered about the proper way to sit while gaming... I know when I lean forward and rest my arms on my knees, I play much worse

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're a champion, bud. This community needs more people like you.

*Insert dank meme gif here*

• Upvote (+1) 1

Challenge battles way less and wait for help. Run away a lot more. Try to only use AR while rushing and try focusing that last shot with pistol while thrusting. Dont strafe too much, sometimes a nice crouch will do just fine. Be confident in every decision you make. If you committ to a battle then go for it, dont second guess or hesitate. Confidence is the key when shooting under pressure.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Get some Kontrol Freek's. They actually helped improve my aim. Might not do the same for you, but it helped me.

Oh also

Do not feel EXPLICITLY obligated to shoot your gun at the absolute minimum intervals allowed by the ROF.

Pace your shots according to your ability to land the crosshair.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I would also reiterate what Lemon said. Sometimes I'll crouch strafe and I won't shoot until I have uncrouched because when I do uncrouch, it will become a headshot. Once you get your cadence down everything else falls in line

You're a champion, bud. This community needs more people like you.

*Insert dank meme gif here*

thanks man, I appreciate that people benefit from my posts
  • Upvote (+1) 1

One thing I've failed to see mentioned here is: don't jump for no reason, especially in the middle of battles. Because I'm an H3 kid I find myself jumping/Gandhi'ing at random and terrible times for no reason in the middle on BR/DMR/Pistol fights. It's fine in moderation but often leaves you an easy target because its easy to predict where you're going vs using a random and hard to predict strafe.

this might sound weird but how do you sit in your chair? leaned back or elbows on knees? @@xMaggs

I've tried both. For years I leaned forwards with elbows on knees and it really started to hurt quads/knees after a long session. Now I sit a bit close with a slight hunch.