Benson_EU

Hello Team Beyond

Hi Ben, obviously I've watched you cast a lot of times, and I think the approach you have taken was spot on! You got the flow of the games right and as you've said, without a massive game knowledge thats got to be the main crux of your casting. GG pal and look forward to hearing you more! Neil

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey Benson,

This weekend was my first real experience with you. Overall, I feel you did a good job. You addressed the things that people on this forum have already addressed (knowledge mainly), but if you are grinding that out, I think you will be fine. I actually felt it was refreshing having a new voice in H5 that I haven't heard. Good work on the weekend, and continue the grind. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

While you might see the people who are extremely hardcore berate you for asking simple questions, I see no issue with it.  Anything that is helping the viewer get an appreciation for why a team makes a set up like they do, for example, help everyone get better at the game.  

Many people were concerned about you casting, but after watching multiple qualifiers and now the XGames, I really think there is no reason to worry or be concerned. You were great, you brought hype, you never made me feel like I was listening to someone new to the scene. 

Also you genuinely seem to enjoy casting Halo which is a huge plus obviously!

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hey Benson, thanks for stopping by. I personally thought you did a very good job this weekend. Obviously, as you stated, there is room to improve with your general halo knowledge but that will come with time. I look forward to future casting.

Question for you. As one of the head people running halo over at MLG do you have contact with the developers at all? In the past mlg used to work with the community on improving maps and settings. Is it something that could be looked at? While halo 5 is a good game, it has a lot to be desired. Simple things like changes to weapon/power up placement could do wonders for it. As a new face of the community I hope you use that to improve the game we all want to see grow and succeed.

You did great Benson. You're taking the right approach; NFL and NBA announcers do it too: Make sure the game is easily understood and simple to follow for thosr that have never watched a minute of it in their life.

The only thing I think all casters need to work on (and this comes with time) is just being more fluid with eachother. There were still times when someone would get cut off, which is understandable for a big play, but try to get back into it after too. It's a fast moving game, and it may be more beneficial to try to cast more related to the NBA or NHL where there is constant action and no stoppages. Often I heard a caster would start a thought or point, a big snipe happened, and then they never finished their previous thought.

I'm tired and I'm sure I wrote this poorly but whatever GG no RE. GOOD JOB BENSON!

Hey Halo community.

My name is Benson and I just casted at the XGames.

Wanted to formally introduce myself on the forums and drop a little bit of information about myself. Want to start with a thank you to many of you who have helped me at the beginning phase of casting Halo. From players to members of the community there have been a lot of helpful comments in regards to casting Halo.

I'm also looking for helpful constructive criticism with my casting this week. Obviously I know the #1 comment will always be game knowledge, and I respect that and am really trying to grind out more and more.

Of course I will never be a Walshy in terms of knowledge (the guy Is unreal) and I know a large portion of the community prefer casters that go into great depth. This week I tried to simply appeal to the wider audience. Asking questions newer viewers would like the answer to as I feel, especially with halo appearing on ESPN, it's an extremely important part of growing an eSport in my opinion. It's a fine line not to insult the current community and to appeal to new viewers, so hopefully I didn't do that too much this weekend, please let me know if you think some questions were too "simple" - I went with the mindset of the first time I saw an NFL game I had no clue what was going on, so I assume the vice versa is true also.

Looking forward to seeing some constructive criticism and improving my Halo casting.

Benson

How about a goddam apology first? After badmouthing the site about anonymous and unfounded rumors - then you just show up here, asking for help?  :apg:

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I thought you did pretty well this weekend. One criticism from CoD was your loudness, but I thought you were tame and loud when appropriate. One thing you could do for some history/backstory on the players is watch some old VOD, links located at the top of the site. Of course, I'm not sure how needed it'd be if casting with Walshy/Bravo as they're vererans of the scene--overall, I'd like for all of the casters to go over more back story. My minor nitpick would be terminology. "Turtled Up" is definitely a CoD term I heard, though I don't blame its usage as it can describe the situation accurately--just not sure if people understood. I'm glad I didn't hear 2 peice, though. I remember during Ghosts when Maven went back to cast some Halo 4, and despite his OG involvement with Halo, he kept on saying 2 peice over and over, and chat was like, what? Overall, good job.

hey benson you have been doing great!

you already know what you need to improve on and that's awesome, just keep studying and it will all become clear soon enough.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I apologized in Austin after that incident. Again mistakes were made due to the situation I was put in. Once again apologies.

Glad to hear, personally we didn't receive anything but we'll take your word it. Not going to lie, a lot of people dislike you because of that.

Either way, it's all in the past now. We all have a common goal at the end of the day, and that's to grow Halo eSports. Hit me up if you need anything.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You did well by asking simple questions. We had many new viewers and not all were familiar with Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally, I think you've done a phenomenal job in all of the cups and Xgames so far.  I honestly thought you'd have more trouble with it considering how little experience you had with Halo.

Also, while I'm sure there are some areas of your play-by-play that could be improved by more knowledge of the game (I haven't paid enough attention to give any examples), you don't necessarily need to be a master of the game in order to be a good play-by-play caster.  In my opinion, your job is to quickly and succinctly talk through what we're seeing on screen and get hyped if something crazy happens.  It's the color guy (e.g. Walshy, Bravo, Elamite) who should be responsible for talking through the strategy behind what's going on and analyzing if something was a good play or not.  

I know this is probably obvious for you and most people, but I feel like some people on these forums want every caster to constantly be discussing high-level strategy all the time, when really, play-by-play announcing is not supposed to be that way.  Compliment what's going on on-screen, and then pass it off to the color guy when you feel like going more in-depth.

I absolutely love this game.

Do you 100% love the game, or is it more along the lines of 90%?

• Downvote (-1) 1