Infinity

HaloWC X Games Invitational Feedback Thread (Event/Stream Criticism)

30 minutes is too long between games.

wont lie, while it's cool for a one-off event, best of 7 series leave me completely tired to keep watching

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't have much to add since @@Infinity covered pretty much everything I've talked about before. I really like the idea of having universal REQ codes. Getting the viewers more engaged would be great!

I feel like the HCS production staff are gradually making their way towards LCS quality. Obviously, there are always things you can improve, but I really enjoyed this tournament. Amazing gameplay. Amazing stories. Amazing commentary for the most part. It's so nice hearing Bravo and Walshy break down plays and talk more about the strategies in Halo 5. Keep doing that!

As for the downtime, I feel like having a legitimate analyst desk would help a LOT. Maybe have giveaways during this time as well? It gets annoying watching the same content over and over again during the breaks. Personally, some of the content that's shown makes me cringe.

While this is unlikely, I'd be interested in seeing a "noob friendly" broadcast for people unfamiliar with Halo. To be cost effective, this could just have one caster that uses the spectator mode instead of using all of the equipment required for the current broadcast. If anything, if this can't be done, I think there should be a nice blend of advanced and beginner friendly commentary in the future. I love how Walshy goes in depth with certain topics, but I think newer players might not understand.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like having a legitimate analyst desk would help a LOT.

Quickly touching on this.

An analysts desk is going to be useless unless it gives in-depth knowledge about the game. At the UK Regionals (as well as before matches when they talk about 'Keys to Victory), the color breakdowns are so simple and generic. Talking about how teams need to communicate "they just need to play their game, don't choke, etc." Instead, talk about how teams favor certain setups, weapons, movement options, angles, positioning, roles, etc.

A Key to Victory for Renegades shouldn't be "Slow Down The Pace" it should be "Prioritize Bunker Setup"

Don't say generic things like Slow Down The Pace, talk about how Renegades was too aggressive against CLG, so they should be focusing on giving Stellur Sniper in Bunker and allowing Ninja to hunt on Snipe Spawn and Junction and be aggressive. In turn, you can explain how this slows down the pace of the game.

TL;DR: Less generic analysis and buzz words, more in-depth breakdowns and meta

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I remember watching a recap of the entire season that introduced teams and storylines for the viewers to follow. Not sure if that was MLG's doing, but if so, PLEASE do more of that. It was engaging and it gives new potential fans perspective on everything. Next time maybe go into more detail on roster changes and team rivalries. People LOVE drama.

• Upvote (+1) 2

TL;DR: Less generic analysis and buzz words, more in-depth breakdowns and meta

What I would like to see is this:

• Start with a host and analysts. Talk about the upcoming game. Let the host guide the questions and who gets to talk.
  • Transition to casters and game. Nothing different here.
  • After the game, go back to the analyst desk and let them discuss the game in depth. You could even have them run spec mode on another Xbox or two and have a play or two ready to go to analyze and go over. Just simply pause at a certain point and save it for later. During the play breakdowns, the analysts can pause, rewind, play the clips in slow motion, and even use the fly camera to articulate their point. This wouldn't affect the casters on the broadcast at all since the analysts would have their own spec modes on separate Xbox consoles.
  • Repeat.

Seriously. Watch the LCS. In my opinion, they are the best in the business when it comes to eSports.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Nailed it on the head. I think the thing that annoyed me the most was the video's in between matches. Same thing's over and over again. I feel like they could use montage's or maybe a map from a previous event for non stop Halo action.

Downtime in between series should be improved, I'm a big fan so I stayed awake to watch the whole thing which ended at 3 AM for us Europeans, but I'm not sure how many people watched the Grand Final from EU. You are missing out many viewers.
I know that Aspen is not right behind the corner, but you can surely be faster.

As for the videos that are shown in between matches, please chose better ones. eSport fans don't care about some guy that forged a McDonald's.

Montages are great, DLC trailers are ok, Halo Mythbusters are fun... Campaign and Forge are not.

It was a 45 minute break and rhat was because they were ahead of schedule. Although it might seem frustrating I understand that. When you put on a schedule the bronze is at 430pm for example and it's 345, you don't want to start and big match like that too early.

Also Adam said they couldn't fit an analyst desk inside the x games tent so that's why they didn't have one.

I really enjoyed the event, I agree about the videos the most. Great to hear the soundproof booths are gone for Regionals as I see no point to them with breakout removed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The broadcast is so much cleaner without spectator mode. G Finity and X Games were a dream to watch for that reason. No outlines, no nameplate, no inaccurate reticule. Unfortunately, they'll be using spectator mode, for some reason, at Regionals:

On the topic of player outlines in particular: please DO NOT USE PLAYER OUTLINES. Or, at the very least, use them as a tool instead of assuming without critical thought that it serves the spectator experience in the same way it serves CoD's of CSGO's. It does not. The TTK in CoD and CSGO is so short that player outlines are helpful in apprehending the peek-heavy playstyle. Halo is more about aggressive pushes with numbers, confronting your enemy face to face (at short and long range), and that doesn't require player outlines to assist the spectator experience at all.

If you think it's important to be able to see all player locations at all times, put an overheard mini map on screen. Outlines simply do nothing but clutter the screen in Halo. Besides, the outlines are so clunky and bold that when you're watching an enemy get shot you can hardly see the status of their shield, especially if you're watching on mobile or some other less than optimal fidelity. The outlines obscure things like shield flare and pop, what weapon the enemy is wielding, etc. Aside from simply making the outlines thinner, a possible solution would be for outlines to disappear once a player is in line of sight. But let me be clear that I would much prefer outlines never be used at all.

• Upvote (+1) 6

updated player profile pics. Naded was wearing a str8 jersey and ninja was wearing his cloud 9 jersey.. :walshy::walshy:

^^^

It would be nice if you guys could arrange a short photo session and get updated pics

And correct player info like when they went pro, twitch account, twitter, etc

• Upvote (+1) 2

The best way for videos is simple. Don't do them in between games. Limit a lot of that stuff in between entire matches where the downtime should be. As long as I don't have to watch something like the Christmas forge map(aesthetcic maps are meh to me) then show all the forge creations you want competitive and casual. A lot of us have said this before that the HWC is a marketing tool for 343 and MS. Show old and new players what this game is capable of doing now with forge and custom game options. 

Although I will agree we don't need the 360 and then pause ground pound videos or the campaign lore videos. Limit the stuff to montages and forge creations. 

Good Stuff:

-Stream quality and short breaks between games and matches (can't help 3-0's)

-Removing Breakout, turned out to improve the overall series.

-Coverage on social media has improved greatly since MCC.

-Casting was great for the most part.

Can Improve:

-Switch up downtime videos, as always you have full permission to use Beyond's videos.

-Would love to see @@TheSimms and @@GoldenboyFTW at future events.

-Move Friday streams to later time if possible, viewership could be hurt with people at work/school still.

-Would like to see more stream and social media interaction with Beyond and its community.

Overall, had a blast watching the event this weekend, keep up the great work @@LenoxCG and @

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can Improve:

-Move Friday streams to later time if possible, viewership could be hurt with people at work/school still.

On behalf of the whole of the European Union, can I ask that this not happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think they should have a custom skin for the tournament. Have a code that unlocks it for us. Maybe as an incentive to keep people watching they could drop sections of that code as the stream progresses. Also make it valid for a limited time so people dont just get the code after the stream is over making people want to watch to get that code.

Also please remove that Christmas and McDonalds video, I dont even know how they got in there in the 1st place.

EDIT: Dont make the events start later, by the time finals come around its about 2 in the morning in the EU

• Upvote (+1) 1

1.No spectator mode plz. It's way more exciting not knowing what is going to happen when players start to push, seeing players reticule's ACCURATELY, and ultimately adding to the intensity and hype and "what is going to happen omg" factor to the game.

2. the stream times are fine, remember MLG tournaments. friday/saturday/sunday. ALL day into LATE night. Long series, double elim. cmon kiddos!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Overall, I thought it was a great stream. My improvements are below which most everyone already addressed.

1) No spectator mode in future events would be great unless you fix it. Also, try to use outlines for specific situations instead of having them on for the entire game if you do use it.

2) A little less downtime if possible.

3) Better videos in-between matches. It's good to have a fun community video in the mix, but I don't think it should be every video that you show. If you're going to show montages, then please pick the ones that would better fit the audience that's watching. I'm sure Beyond can link you to some that would work great for that.

4) Please get updated player profile pics. I don't know why this is so hard since all you have to do is take a picture of a pro while they're at the event and use that for the profile.

5) Colored face cams during the entire event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its been said before but I will say it again

Get rid of that 360 spinning montage. There was no skill involved in getting those clips and its one of the worst montages I have ever watched. It is as bad as the Prophets bane montage, if not worse. There was literally a clip of him nading a power weapon to himself in a solo custom game. We don't need that.

Other than that minus a few sound errors I enjoyed the stream a lot!

• Upvote (+1) 8

More LAN events going into the future and spectators, especially at the big ones. Allow the chance of this happening. I think 343 got a glimpse of how great LAN events can be, and they're even better with crowds.

The only major complaint I have is Regret.  Having a map with fuel rod isn't fun, and that map is particularly snowbally on Slayer.  I think that they should replace Regret with something else

Please make Coliseum slayer AND CTF a gametype and take out regret in best of 7. or EDEN/Rig/Plaza strongholds/slayer