Sign in to follow this  
Harville2

Speed Test for Internet

Honestly I want to know what is an "average" speed for internet, and could someone also explain what the differences are and how I could maybe speed up my internet? Is this "score" good??

2809135302.png

It says your internet is slower than 73% of the US, so I'm going to go with no. Lol.

But don't fret! We shall both revel in our lame internet!

2809143730.png

Plugging in directly to the router instead of WiFi is a decent start. Purchasing better internet is your next bet, really.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No that's not a good connection, I'd say the average is about 10Mb-15Mb. There is no way to speed up your connection without paying more for a better plan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm lucky, I live in the bunnies but my small telecom  company (Indiantown Telecomunications) installed fiber optic in my development and it cost me just a little more than Comcast.

Besides speed, Ping is as important for xbox connections

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks guys, I used to just go from Wifi on my xbox, but recently found an ethernet to plug into my box so I might start using that. I dont pay for the internet so I cant really upgrade it either lol. My family has an office that runs out of the basement so when everyone is there it is really hard to play in. I live upstairs and have my own "router" its different because the modem is in the office downstairs and that has a router attached to it, which runs a cord all the way up through the walls to a different router upstairs. That router upstairs has another WiFi router attached to it so that we get WiFi all over the house. Should I plug into the wifi router or the other router? is there any way to change that to make it better?

Thanks guys, I used to just go from Wifi on my xbox, but recently found an ethernet to plug into my box so I might start using that. I dont pay for the internet so I cant really upgrade it either lol. My family has an office that runs out of the basement so when everyone is there it is really hard to play in. I live upstairs and have my own "router" its different because the modem is in the office downstairs and that has a router attached to it, which runs a cord all the way up through the walls to a different router upstairs. That router upstairs has another WiFi router attached to it so that we get WiFi all over the house. Should I plug into the wifi router or the other router? is there any way to change that to make it better?

I don't even have xbox anymore 

Connect it directly to the router. Make sure that the routers after the first one are set up as just "hot spot" or you may have troubles with the DHCP server. You want only one router assigning IPs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You share with a Office? Ouch dude.

2809368999.png

Sadly, this is the second most expensive internet in Hawaii @ $70.  This is sad but I pull host A LOT.

Probably going to upgrade to the $80 package with 45 down and 10 up sometime soon.  I know it doesn't help with gaming but it sure helps with my torrents.

You share with a Office? Ouch dude.

Yeah man, its a small company. Only 3 people work there, my mom and myself included lol. I only really play at night bc I work all day so when I am the only one on the internet it works fine. I will definitely hook up to the router though and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the tips brothers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2809368999.png

Sadly, this is the second most expensive internet in Hawaii @ $70.  This is sad but I pull host A LOT.

Probably going to upgrade to the $80 package with 45 down and 10 up sometime soon.  I know it doesn't help with gaming but it sure helps with my torrents.

I'm pretty sure getting a better connection will help everyone else when you pull host.

I have always had to use wifi for my xbox. I'm going to get another router so that I can wire directly to that. Does anyone have any suggestions on routers to get?

I'm pretty sure getting a better connection will help everyone else when you pull host.

Probably but I've never really had anyone complain about my host.

And by looking at everyone's results it just shows how bad Hawaii Internet is. The max you can get for residential is 45 down and 10 up. I think you can get faster speeds if you want to pay for business classes but that starts at 120/month.

What kind of providers do you guys have? I will be moving out soon bc ill be getting married, and I was looking to see what kind of providers are great with internet services. My parents/the office have Bellsouth so I probably wont use them... looking at maybe Verizon Fios? Idk I need some thoughts

You talking about Hawaii? The only decent broadband is Time Warner which goes by "Oceanic Cable" out here and really your only choice if you want to game. Depending where you live they might not have all service levels available. There is some Dsl provider but it's not good enough to game.

Yeah I live in the Southeast, plenty of options to choose from just gotta choose the best one!

What kind of providers do you guys have? I will be moving out soon bc ill be getting married, and I was looking to see what kind of providers are great with internet services. My parents/the office have Bellsouth so I probably wont use them... looking at maybe Verizon Fios? Idk I need some thoughts

If you can get Verizon Fios then that beats everything right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless your bride plays Halo your gaming time will be rationed. Trust me wife's can be pretty clever on limiting your hobbies :)

I would chose fios

• Upvote (+1) 2