Saber NY

Switch? HALO 2 BR for HCS

HCS Halo 2 Battle Rifle Switch. VOTE!  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Pistol/AR OR Halo 2 BR start?

• Pistol/AR
    • Halo 2 BR/AR
    • Halo 2 BR

Just make the Pistol fire a bit faster, like it did in the beta. Would also make it better for descoping.

This would only work if they upped the round per clip. The issue with descoping with the magnum is not one of fire rate, but RRR zoomed in.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This would only work if they upped the round per clip. The issue with descoping with the magnum is not one of fire rate, but RRR zoomed in.

TBH, I love the low RRR zoomed in - was just saying that that a faster ROF would give it a contrast to the BR, similar to BR vs Carbine. 

With a faster ROF, the Pistol would kill noticeably faster than the BR, to make up for the extra skill required (especially at range). Would also improve its CQC capabilities. 

ITT:

-BR Nostalgia

-No one bringing forth any arguments at all as to why the H2BR is the more competitive weapon.

-Waypoint Kids coming out of the woodwork.

-People derailing this into Halo 5 Pistol Mechanics.

I can't wait until a few months down the road where everyone will be begging for the "Ce Magnum" even though it will likely be some hitscan, extreme aim assist abomination.

I am never going back to a burst utility weapon. Single Shot >

You say that like the pistol is a utility weapon  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Keep the ar/magnum. Remove BR from arena modes sans btb. Its a redundant weapon as is anyway.

Create a classic halo playlist with no abilities and halo 2 br starts.

Semi auto utility weapon is more skill intensive but doing it the way I suggest seems like a win win to me. If you want h2 br starts you're probably in the classic halo playlist-wanting group like me anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What a quality contribution. Care to explain yourself?

If you honestly think the damage output levels for h5's precision weapons relative to the automatic weapons is anything short of atrocious, it's LOL-worthy.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's funny, the arguments that the people who advocate for the starting weapons to remain the same don't realize that we already had this weapon set in Halo Reach.

AR/Pistol (5 shot/zoom capability) that was the default weapon set. The sandbox is basically the same except for H5's beefed up auto's. All the points people use for the current pistol can be applied..DMR is much easier to use, at least this time I can defend myself off spawn, DMR range slows down the game, AR starts will bring the casuals in, DMR is much easier we want a skill based weapon, etc..

Why didn't we for a second considered AR/Pistol for Reach to be the competitive starting weapons but now in halo 5 it's all of a sudden ok?

The pistol bloom was ridiculous ... H5 pistol is stronger for this reason alone

• Upvote (+1) 3

Keep the ar/magnum. Remove BR from arena modes sans btb. Its a redundant weapon as is anyway.

By that logic we should get rid of all the other utility rifles in the sandbox, too, giving us only one utility weapon and more fair 1v1 engagements decided by raw skill.

And that would just make too much sense. :simms: 

id like to see the h2 br on the maps instead of the h5 br but keeping the pistol/ar starts would be good imo

The pistol bloom was ridiculous ... H5 pistol is stronger for this reason alone

Every weapon in H5 is superior to default reach except for the sniper. I was talking in context of the Reach sandbox where practically every precision weapon had bloom. There wasn't much thought at all with considering AR/Pistol/Radar for competitive.

I think the only difference now is that it's the current settings that have dev support. And with the community practically starved for any type of e-sport scene after the disaster that was Reach and H4, most players are willing to look the other way in exchange for 343 support.

What a quality contribution. Care to explain yourself?

May I just give my own opinion on you original post.

The weapon balance in this game is great for what 343 was trying to achieve, an experience for mostly younger gamer, people who grew up with the "everything is for everybody and everybody has to feel successful"-menatlity. Every weapon is usefull but nothing really stands out, if this were a totally new game (not a Halo) nobody had a reason to complain but this is not a new series, it is a Halo game Halo games used to have a rather unique way of balancing it's sandbox. Precision were the key to controlling the game while automatics served a niche role. I cannot think of any other game that uses this kind of balance and now, even Halo doen't use it anymore

So is the balancing great? maybe if it was under an other name but it's not a good balancing for a Halo game

• Upvote (+1) 6

By that logic we should get rid of all the other utility rifles in the sandbox, too, giving us only one utility weapon and more fair 1v1 engagements decided by raw skill.

And that would just make too much sense. :simms:

Well the LR offers a unique option, and the dmr does excel at cross map supportive type of play as well. Although those two could technically be considered the same style of long range precision weapon too. Carbine could be dropped too. There's a lot I would do with the sandbox if I had any say in the matter. Removing redundant weapons that dont offer a clear alternative to one another is just one of those things.

I'll add this too. They did a good job of balancing h5s sandbox in terms of a load out based shooter by making them have similar kill times. The problem is halo isn't a load out shooter. I made a video discussing this topic if you care to hear my full take on it. Search smoakleyyt on YouTube video is called post honeymoon weapon balancing or something to that nature. I'd link it but I'm on mobile. I'm also in the process of typing up an outline on the flaws of h5s matchmaking and ranking system and why I think it has hurt the population.

This guy (Cyber Rex) offers a perspective on weapon balance that I find interesting and somewhat agree with (way too long just to copy-paste the text here).

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/anyone-else-angry-about-autos/820e67c5-66bb-4d0a-97f7-a9bc0f91d0fc/posts?page=24#post468

People seem to think "weapon balance" is about every weapon being useful in most situations 100% of the time without thought or effort.

Idk about making it the spawn weapon but i'd love to see it replace all the default BR's on the maps.

if you think 343 is going to swap their version of the br for bungie's br in their competitive league then i got you a fully functional mcc I wanna sell u

That seems like an awfully petty reason not to change to a better version of the BR.

That seems like an awfully petty reason not to change to a better version of the BR.

They changed the entire look and sound of the series. It doesn't get anymore pettier than that. So It isn't so farfetched to assume if they didn't make it then we won't be seeing it on streams in tourneys they produce.

4 shot pistol?  people would die instantly

Good. It will limit all the sprint, thruster and clamber nonsense from the game. The game needs faster killing utility weapons. The auto aim and magnetism need to be adjusted accordingly as well.

• Upvote (+1) 4

May I just give my own opinion on you original post.

The weapon balance in this game is great for what 343 was trying to achieve, an experience for mostly younger gamer, people who grew up with the "everything is for everybody and everybody has to feel successful"-menatlity. Every weapon is usefull but nothing really stands out, if this were a totally new game (not a Halo) nobody had a reason to complain but this is not a new series, it is a Halo game Halo games used to have a rather unique way of balancing it's sandbox. Precision were the key to controlling the game while automatics served a niche role. I cannot think of any other game that uses this kind of balance and now, even Halo doen't use it anymore

So is the balancing great? maybe if it was under an other name but it's not a good balancing for a Halo game

Autos are still highly limited by the range at which they are able to do anything. If a player is more than 20 feet away, there is almost no chance that they are going to lose to an auto when they are using a precision weapon. Watching pro play, I see a majority of them relying on the pistol and other precision weapons heavily. When they get into close quarters, autos are used, but that is intended. The way I see it, they are finally strong enough to serve their niche, something I don't think was ever true before (things like dual wield meant that a single instance of an auto couldn't be overpowered). The biggest factor to why autos may be -too- strong is in this bogeyman situation where players are all crouching in corners with autos with radar allowing them to see everything. I do feel the increased movement in Halo 5 (sprint, spartan abilities, thrust, clamber, etc.) combined with the vertical nature of the maps makes radar, especially at a shortened range, not as broken as you'd think and is also why sitting in a corner is probably not the best strategy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well the LR offers a unique option, and the dmr does excel at cross map supportive type of play as well. Although those two could technically be considered the same style of long range precision weapon too. Carbine could be dropped too. There's a lot I would do with the sandbox if I had any say in the matter. Removing redundant weapons that dont offer a clear alternative to one another is just one of those things.

Yeah, I do kinda like the LR because the high damage, low ROF in scope at least makes it a kinda unique as a support weapon, so if it were up to me I might not get rid of it, but the same can't be said of the other rifles.

The DMR is literally just a straight upgrade to the Magnum with more magnetism, RRR, 3x zoom, more kills per clip, and on top of all that a slightly faster TTK. The BR has bleedthrough and sweep-shooting for headshots with burst fire, crazy magnetism, a TTK equal to the Magnum, and is overall the easiest rifle to get a perfect kill with. The Carbine, like the BR, has magnetism through the roof (I get a surprising number of perfects with it despite the 7sk), a slightly faster TTK than the Magnum, and its high ROF is very forgiving of any unlikely misses. What does the Magnum have? Faster draw speed and melees? FeelsBadMan

SMG/AR starts sucked because you spawned at a disadvantage without the utility weapon, and I just can't understand why anyone would want even a mini version of that by spawning with a utility weapon inferior to the ones available on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 shot pistol?  people would die instantly

that's the point. 

still weaker than storm, sniper, rockets. Less accurate than all other rifles, harder to use to. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 shot pistol

Knowing 343, they will make it a 4shot but slow down the rate of fire so it still has the same kill time like they did with the H4 BR when it was a 5 shot. 

the H4 br would have been a 1.3s kill time if the damage was just slightly buffed, but 343 slowed down the rate of fire so it was 1.5 same as DMR. 343 is silly, they will never give the community what they want if it conflicts with their ideals. 

• Upvote (+1) 1