Joseph

[POLL] HCS Pro Player Feedback - Gametypes & Settings

The rest of what? There is no "rest". This is a matter of whether or not we can trust what the developers say, and this is straight from the horse's mouth, especially given his comments that "nobody is trying to shove anything down your throats".

I still read his post and do not see intended malice or deception.  It does not come across as something that anyone need plant their flag on.  Saucey did a poll, provided the info, and that should suffice.  If it were left at that, without the additional witch hunt based on facts that always look like opinions to me, I still suspect more progress would be made.  

I really don't know what people expect.  It requires a full time PR firm to word check everything for you not to rip a Titanic sized hole in every argument.  Yet we expect more, faster interaction.  It comes across pretty ridiculous to me, again, even when I agree with you and like-minded TB'ers.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Certain affinity should go no where near halo, ever.

Not after h2a and not after doom MP.

dooms not all that great I gather? If so I saw it coming a mile away.

dooms not all that great I gather? If so I saw it coming a mile away.

The MP beta was fun but the game is obviously never gonna be a esports title

I still read his post and do not see intended malice or deception.  It does not come across as something that anyone need plant their flag on.  Saucey did a poll, provided the info, and that should suffice.  If it were left at that, without the additional witch hunt based on facts that always look like opinions to me, I still suspect more progress would be made.  

It's pretty easy to be comfortable when you're either pretty sure you're not going to get caught, or you're unwittingly the fall guy. If you really want to let this slide like it's not some major bullshit, then that is going to set a precedent for the future far more than anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The MP beta was fun but the game is obviously never gonna be a esports title

they didn't want to be, but I never saw that as a reason to add loadouts.

Does it really need to be?

No, I like it for what it is, I just think a lot of people were hoping it would be a competitive game

No, I like it for what it is, I just think a lot of people were hoping it would be a competitive game

Gotcha

Just always remember doom being gore-filled awesome violence; the competitive one was Quake

Didnt think people wanted it to be esports

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Saucey

Is there anyway you can ask the pro's about whether they wanted fast fall and super slide removed from the game? I'm kinda interested in that as well, but I'm pretty shocked by these results in this poll.

Gotcha

Just always remember doom being gore-filled awesome violence; the competitive one was Quake

Didnt think people wanted it to be esports

Doom 2 was a very, very competitive game back in its heyday. Go load up prBoom and you'll get absolutely creamed.

Doom 2 was a very, very competitive game back in its heyday. Go load up prBoom and you'll get absolutely creamed.

1v1 me doom 3 kid ill cream you

It's kinda hard to picture games that have the type of "auto-aim" (doom style) as being more competitive than any game that has a crosshair that you control on all axis, but in reality it is.

Th autos and radar question responses are not surprising at all. I've heard roy say on stream multiple times he thinks it should stay because it helps bring the casuals in and it drives me nuts.

I personally think this is the biggest load of shit ever. A large majority of my friends who play halo don't give a shit about esports and if you were to remove radar and autos they still wouldn't care because they are not interested in general. Honestly if removing radar and autos makes it to hard to understand then you should be more worried about your mental capacity.

1v1 me doom 3 kid ill cream you

Doom 3 = the Halo 3 of Doom

It's kinda hard to picture games that have the type of "auto-aim" (doom style) as being more competitive than any game that has a crosshair that you control on all axis, but in reality it is.

In ports of Doom 2 autoaim is almost useless because it only registers vertically and you can turn on mouselook.

$10 the 4 people who wanted Breakout were Allegiance

100%

Also, the problem with Dooms MP is not that it's not eSports worthy it's just that it plays nothing like Doom. It's slow, clunky, and filled with a bunch of trash.

Doom should be fast and frenetic with an emphasis on precision, not sluggish and cluttered. They just don't get their target audiences and that's not what I want from a Halo developer.

So, I'm clearly in the minority, but I feel like Breakout is a very competitive game type. Many people have made it analogous to SWAT, which I think is incorrect. SWAT is not competitive because it is all twitch and minimal skill, which is a far cry from what goes into Breakout. Without shields and radar, positioning is key, as is moving around the map stealthily. This became even more evident this past weekend with the community breakout playlist, which had a number of huge maps that heavily rewarded strong play.

Breakout has many layers to skill and necessarily removes shields in favor of 300% health. I don't know why it playing different than the other game types (which each play different to each other) makes it not worthy of competitive play when the game itself is competitive. An elimination game type, like Breakout is currently, is a boon to competitive Halo and I hope 343 declines to remove it.

Pros failing to practice/prepare and become elite at 25% of the competitive playlist should be their problem and not be rewarded by just removing the game type. Allegiance doesn't view a Breakout game in a series as a "toss up" because they worked hard to become the best at it. If other pro teams had similarly made themselves elite at Breakout like they are at Slayer, or CTF, or Strongholds, it wouldn't be a "toss up" as it is for many of them other than against other elite teams, the same as Slayer is or any of the others. It's their own fault for not practicing it as seriously as a team like Allegiance has and, therefore, being mediocre at it, at best.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So, I'm clearly in the minority, but I feel like Breakout is a very competitive game type. Many people have made it analogous to SWAT, which I think is incorrect. SWAT is not competitive because it is all twitch and minimal skill, which is a far cry from what goes into Breakout. Without shields and radar, positioning is key, as is moving around the map stealthily. This became even more evident this past weekend with the community breakout playlist, which had a number of huge maps that heavily rewarded strong play.

Breakout has many layers to skill and necessarily removes shields in favor of 300% health. I don't know why it playing different than the other game types (which each play different to each other) makes it not worthy of competitive play when the game itself is competitive. An elimination game type, like Breakout is currently, is a boon to competitive Halo and I hope 343 declines to remove it.

Pros failing to practice/prepare and become elite at 25% of the competitive playlist should be their problem and not be rewarded by just removing the game type. Allegiance doesn't view a Breakout game in a series as a "toss up" because they worked hard to become the best at it. If other pro teams had similarly made themselves elite at Breakout like they are at Slayer, or CTF, or Strongholds, it wouldn't be a "toss up" as it is for many of them other than against other elite teams, the same as Slayer is or any of the others. It's their own fault for not practicing it as seriously as a team like Allegiance has and, therefore, being mediocre at it, at best.

>throws random grenade across the map

>gets a kill

>has numbers

>pushes with advantage

>wins round

>repeat

• Upvote (+1) 2

I honestly think fixing section 2 will fix section 3, I actually have no issues with the automatics (maybe storm rifle is a tiny bit OP). What I do have issue with is my aggressive playstyle been hampered by some scumbag sitting on a wall watching the radar waiting to pounce on me with a storm rifle as a casual jog on by, but that's just my opinion.

Fixing point 2 will alleviate the problems of point 3

I believe it will help with point 3, but you have to factor in how easy it is to hear people sprinting etc, almost everyone has a headset these days. It will lessen it but people will still hide in a corner and spray you down as you come by.

Not a problem dude. I think if we historically look at "Hardcore" settings we know that those playlists struggle to maintain a decent population in other Halo titles. Taking a look at Arena though, it's one of the most played playlists in H5 and while there are inaccuracies, like Arena Breakout, in the playlist it doesn't shut the casuals from the niche.

I'm not going to say that because of X cause we will see Y effect but thinking about how that difference in playlist settings changes how many play "competitive settings" is quite impactful. Versus how it was back then when it was just a smaller niche and everyone was too afraid to dive in.

I don't know if this will have an impact on viewership (COD is dealing with a similar, albeit much more extreme case than we are dealing with now) but we'll see where it goes.

Well that's not a fair comparison considering theres not a single 4v4 playlist that isn't ranked, in every previous halo there was unranked casual play AKA Social Slayer, so to say Arena holds a good population compared to hardcore h2, or mlg h3...simply apples and oranges. If an old time casual halo player wants to play a simple unranked match they have to play 12v12 or 8v8 so of course they are gonna play the only 4v4 playlists available, no other choice.

• Upvote (+1) 2